PS3 gets hot...anyone recommend the Intercooler?

limelight022

CAGiversary!
Feedback
69 (99%)
I cant believe how hot the ps3 gets. I dont think that one little fan can handle all the heat. Does anyone have/tried the Nyko Intercooler? Thoughts/Impressions?

IntercoolerPS3.jpg

LOL @ the Fan. Weird, i have my ps3 standing up on carpet. It doesn't really get all that hot during my sessions...

[quote name='VipFREAK']I have my 360 next to my Ps3 now so it doesn't look like this pic, but that's the fan I use.

p1010004ghni0.jpg
[/quote]

lol a regular macguyver. does that actually help and if so how and where do you point your fan at your ps3?

^I point the fan so it blows into the cd tray, It's upright so that the air comes out the top and back. I could try blowing it from the bottom in, just so space to lay it down like that.

Sad part is... the fan didn't do squat, 360 still died. PS3 on the other hand just fine.

Mine is a year old and I feel the fan gets alot louder than usual. Electronics are Electronics though, and even if they weren't ; Nothing lasts for ever...

i do get paranoid about my ps3 dying since you hear horror stories on here about them not reading disks ( happened to me one but a reformat helped) and overheating. whats the best way to clean out the dust from a ps3?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have my 60gb standing up on carpet as well, and for some reason my apartment has been about 80 degrees all winter even when it's below freezing outside. Nothing is 100% free from defects but these aren't consoles with inherent design flaws we're talking about.

I'm anal about my electronics, but you have a year of warranty to figure out if your normal operation is damaging to your system, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

It's good that it gets hot around the vents on the right/upper side since that's where it's pushing hot air out of it. It does a good job of expelling heat out of the system and not keeping it inside the console.

[quote name='lokizz']i do get paranoid about my ps3 dying since you hear horror stories on here about them not reading disks ( happened to me one but a reformat helped) and overheating. whats the best way to clean out the dust from a ps3?[/QUOTE]

Vacuum out the vents. The read error seem to stem from the PS3 laser dying out. I know when mine quit reading disks and I opened it there was little to no dust in there. I dusted off the system twice a week and a couple times a month I vacuumed out the vents.

I've read the intercooler is horrible. It sits between your PS3's power cord and your PS3, and has it's own power switch. So...it's on all the time unless you turn it off manually every time, and once you do it's the same as unplugging your PS3.

After my first PS3 died, I was sent a new one from Sony and decided to grab the Intercooler for it. In short, its complete garbage, its rediciously loud, and does very little, and it has a huge power cord (I wonder how much power it actually uses?). Keep your console in a well ventilated area and you will be fine, don't waste your money on the Intercooler, I'm glad I was able to return mine

A little bit off-topic, but is it better to have the PS3 on standing vertically, like on the intercooler picture, or horizontally? Currently my ps3 is on a hard surface standing vertically. Yeah, it gets pretty warm, and the fans are pretty annoying (I have a 4-usb 60gb model, with the bigger and hotter chips), but nothing so far has given me reason that my unit is about to fail, aside from freezing once or twice...

I have the 60gb too, I've had it vertical since I got it. Although, it's more for space reasons than cooling. I'd say all my stuff runs better (safer) when the ambient temp is cooler to begin with.

Mine's upright as well. Feeling it right now, it's lukewarm (just barely). I think I'll start blowing canned air through the system more often since you guys just reminded me.

During the Summer I play my PS3 in my garage. It easily gets 90+ degrees in there and after playing for over an hour the HDMI plug is literally too hot to touch. Every single time.

After being through one summer of that, my PS3 still works. So it can withstand serious heat.

Intercoolers are not worth it, I don't think they help at all, they actually can do more damage. For one they are cheaply made. The systems were not designed for them to be added to the current design. They can destroy the console's own internal fans by forcing them to operate faster than they are supposed to. The best thing you can do is to just allow your console sufficient breathing room, especially the back.

[quote name='limelight022']I cant believe how hot the ps3 gets. I dont think that one little fan can handle all the heat. Does anyone have/tried the Nyko Intercooler? Thoughts/Impressions?
[/quote]
What model do you have? Mine never gets that hot. Do you give it adequate room from all sides and not keep it on a rug nor enclosed? How much feet does it have in the back?

[quote name='VipFREAK']I have my 360 next to my Ps3 now so it doesn't look like this pic, but that's the fan I use.

p1010004ghni0.jpg
[/quote]
While that fan looks like it's blowing in the side which could help, it's also forcing air into the system faster than the 360's own fans could probably pull it out, which could weaken the 360's fans. Also it looks like it would be pushing air behind the 360 as well, creating more resistance on the back of the 360 for its own fans to push the air out.

___fan__fan___
--> resistance

[quote name='VipFREAK']^I point the fan so it blows into the cd tray, It's upright so that the air comes out the top and back. I could try blowing it from the bottom in, just so space to lay it down like that.

Sad part is... the fan didn't do squat, 360 still died. PS3 on the other hand just fine.[/quote]
That is a better way to do it so that no air is passing in front of the back of the fans. But keep the fan on its lowest setting. Really, I would not use another fan at all though.

If we were in the PC world the ideal conditions would be to have the amount sucking = the amount blowing. (ha... that's what she said) But we're not, I don't think it really makes a difference with these consoles period. I do how ever wonder if either too much blowing actually hurts it more than helps That's why I just blow from front to back hoping it lowers the ambient temp there for less strain on the system.

It's normal for the PS3 to get hot, especially the old 60gb models. They had the 90nm chip which get hot and don't forget the PS3 has 7 cores and the hard drive so it's going to let out a lot of heat. The PS3 is very deliberately designed and has a complicated cooling system that dispenses a lot of heat.

I've noticed that the plastic case above the disc slot gets pretty warm after an hour or two of playing and the bottom of the case itself is at least lukewarm to the touch.

My PS3 has frozen only a handful of times since I got it last April and even then it only required me to hit the reset button on the front of the console and hold it to do a hard shutdown.

Other than that though, I've had a more recent problem where my controller will stop responding for everything but to go into the system menu to shut it down. This has happened when I've tried sending a message to my friends on PSN about getting the kicked glitch on GTA IV.

I have until the end of next month on my original Sony warranty, so hopefully if anything major is going to happen, it'll happen before then so it's covered.

Aside from the very occasional hangs on a loading screen or the controller not responding, this system has been very good.

People shouldn't mess with intercoolers or fans at all. The best thing you can do is to just give the sytem adequate space. It's crazy because 8 times out of 10 I see people's console setups giving the consoles nowhere near the space they really need.

bread's done
Back