PS3 hack ban upheld by court - Great Day For Sony

bubbafett4hire

CAGiversary!
Sony's battle to block the distribution of a hack for its PlayStation 3 (PS3) has been won in an Australian court but lost on the internet.
The court ruled on Friday that a ban on distribution of the PSJailbreak "dongle", first issued on 27 August, would be made permanent.
However, on Thursday the software code behind a similar hack was released free on the internet as ******.

The hacks allow homemade games to be played on the console.
While the ****** software was specifically designed not to allow the playing of pirated games, as PSJailbreak does, it has already been modified by other hackers to permit the practice.

Also on Friday, it emerged that Sony had filed a US lawsuit against Zoomba, the firm that runs shopPSjailbreak.com, a site selling the device.
The lawsuits specifically name the PSJailbreak device - software loaded onto a USB data stick - but reports have surfaced that the device has been replicated and could soon be widely available through other vendors.

The Australia ban prevents resellers OzModChips, ModSupplier and Quantronics from importing or distributing the device in Australia, and names the supplier as Chinese firm China Sun Trading Limited.
The court order demands that the distributors hand over any stocks of the dongles, China Sun Trading to send any ordered dongles to the court, and calls for as-yet undetermined damages to be paid to Sony.
OzModChips posted an apologetic message to its Twitter account on Friday, saying "Sorry 4 the lack of updates, its been a long day. Bassically the injunction still stands but its not 100% over yet. Not allowed to say more."

The BBC has learned that distributors in the Netherlands have received substantially similar court documents banning the sale of the dongles.
Choice and innovation However, the court's action was pre-empted when another group of hackers decided to develop and release PSGroove, the code behind the hack, on the internet.

Mathieu Hervais told BBC News he was one of about 20 hackers involved in PSGroove's development.

"We want people to run the software they like on the system they paid for without it having to be licensed by Sony," he said.
"We released it on the internet because we believe in openness, choice and innovation from everyone.

"We understand (games console makers') point of view as well when it comes to protecting their income or business models, we just believe compromises could be made to keep everyone happy."

Sony declined to comment on the court cases or the release of the open-source code.

I'm glad Sony got a halfway handle on the situation before it got out of control. My only qestion is why hasn't MS, or Nintendo gone to the same length to combat piracy on there systems most of the the highly pirated Wii.

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']I'm glad Sony got a halfway handle on the situation before it got out of control. My only qestion is why hasn't MS, or Nintendo gone to the same length to combat piracy on there systems most of the the highly pirated Wii.[/QUOTE]

Because you dont need any additional hardware to mod a Wii or Xbox 360.

[quote name='62t']Because you dont need any additional hardware to mod a Wii or Xbox 360.[/QUOTE]

You don't need them but thier out there. Wii drive chips are still being sold in different forms and styles of installation as well as NAND flashers and solder less solutions for replacing DVD firmware on the Xbox360.

I know people will mod no matter what but for companys who actively combat piracy I would think they'd want to combat all forms of piracy and game cheating as we see now with MW2 mod lobbies. I do understand that not all modchips and other such devices are illegal as the cromwell chips from the xbox 1 days contained a legal Linux kernel that did not violate the Xbox 1 for piracy.

When it comes to someone going to electronics store and picking up a couple of parts and wire is one thing, but when a kit available for breaking general security of a device is sold for that intention then it becomes another matter and should be taken into court for it.

Glad the hack is still available to allow homebrew development to flourish. There's a lot that could be done with a homebrew scene on PS3, especially with such an easy hack. I'm not updating my PS3 ever again incase I want to do this. I couldn't care any less about PSN or trophies.

lol what's with all the asterisks.

nothing has been "won" here, this is just going to make it a little more inconvenient for australian mod chip sellers. the hack is already spreading around like wildfire.

can't stop the revolution baby :D

The situation is already out of there hands, if you knew what was going on OP you'd know that PS Groove has been released which is a Open source Mod similar to the PS jailbreak allowing people to download it on to any USB Teensy board, PSP, Iphone, N900 ect. to allow unsigned code to run on the ps3.

This means any blu-ray, ps3, ps2, ps1 or DVD media can (in the next few weeks) potentially be copyable onto a hard drive and the people who use this exploit will likely get away with it and still be able to go online, so Sony is fucked.

[quote name='phantasyx']The situation is already out of there hands, if you knew what was going on OP you'd know that PS Groove has been released which is a Open source Mod similar to the PS jailbreak allowing people to download it on to any USB Teensy board, PSP, Iphone, N900 ect. to allow unsigned code to run on the ps3.

This means any blu-ray, ps3, ps2, ps1 or DVD media can (in the next few weeks) potentially be copyable onto a hard drive and the people who use this exploit will likely get away with it and still be able to go online, so Sony is fucked.[/QUOTE]

yes I did know about the PSgroove that's why I edited the name to asterisks due to rules about posting mods on the site. Yes open source code and soon an open source ISO loader. Already testing porting it on a Audrino but never the less big difference between people using it for homebrew and 12yr olds using a factory made product for piracy

[quote name='jer7583']Glad the hack is still available to allow homebrew development to flourish. There's a lot that could be done with a homebrew scene on PS3, especially with such an easy hack. I'm not updating my PS3 ever again incase I want to do this. I couldn't care any less about PSN or trophies.[/QUOTE]

Seriously,Why do you even own a PS3?

I like this thread. Its great that Sony did that.

[quote name='jman619']Seriously,Why do you even own a PS3?

I like this thread. Its great that Sony did that.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I'm very glad Sony is trying to stop this. I feel piracy is a horrible thing.

[quote name='jman619']Seriously,Why do you even own a PS3?

I like this thread. Its great that Sony did that.[/QUOTE]
Because they want to play games and don't give a shit about trophies/PSN? Trophies and going on PSN are NOT the be all, end all for gaming.

Last gen I didn't give a shit about trying to play online with my PS2 in the online enabled games and I had an original Xbox and never once even tried to sign into XBL. Why? It's NOT all that important.

Good games that aren't buggy pieces of shit ARE important.

If someone released a good free PS2 emu program for non BC PS3's and the only thing I had to give up was playing on PSN to be able to enjoy my old gen games I'd log off of PSN for good in a fuckin' second.

And before any of you retort with 'why do you own a PS3' like a broken record, I play my system for the GAMES. If there were no games I wanted to play on PS3 I'd own whichever system had the games I wanted to play most.

Good reason for me to finally swap out the 60 gb drive in my ps3 for a much larger one. If this allows me to store all my old PS2 games internally and have them all one click away from being played, then that far outweighs anything PSN, Trophies, or PS+ can offer me. Not that I'll have to sacrifice any of those things.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Because they want to play games and don't give a shit about trophies/PSN? Trophies and going on PSN are NOT the be all, end all for gaming.

Last gen I didn't give a shit about trying to play online with my PS2 in the online enabled games and I had an original Xbox and never once even tried to sign into XBL. Why? It's NOT all that important.

Good games that aren't buggy pieces of shit ARE important.

If someone released a good free PS2 emu program for non BC PS3's and the only thing I had to give up was playing on PSN to be able to enjoy my old gen games I'd log off of PSN for good in a fuckin' second.

And before any of you retort with 'why do you own a PS3' like a broken record, I play my system for the GAMES. If there were no games I wanted to play on PS3 I'd own whichever system had the games I wanted to play most.[/QUOTE]

Last gen I didn't play online at all. It was new to me this gen to be honest and I wasn't really into it at first,but now I couldn't live without psn. I could stand it without live.

Sony in particular just seems to crack down very hard on any hardware modifications faster than the other manufacturers.

Apparently, Sony got mad that iFixit (my company) was doing teardowns on their devices. Supposedly, (this was before I started working here) they gave us a cease and desist letter.

We responded by partnering with Wired Magazine and held a teardown contest, rofl.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/10/teardown-contest/

I kind of sit on the in between on mods. I agree and applaud Sony on what they are doing by getting the sales of that device banned. I believe they have every right to forbid the sale of the device.

I also believe, however, that if companies were more open to idea of homebrew developers/software that there wouldn't be a need for devices like this to exist. I mean, look at how long the PS3 was mostly left alone. As soon as they removed the OtherOS feature hackers went to town on the damn thing.

I'll be the first to admit that I have XBMC loaded onto my original xboxes, and I use them just for the media center capabilities. A lot of my devices that had hacks available I have used because of some piece of homebrew software that someone had created that I felt was must have.

[quote name='JP']
I'll be the first to admit that I have XBMC loaded onto my original xboxes, and I use them just for the media center capabilities. A lot of my devices that had hacks available I have used because of some piece of homebrew software that someone had created that I felt was must have.[/QUOTE]

Still have 3 in my house kicken all with XBMC best idea they ever had.

I agree, it's just another bump in the road. Sony can't stop the hack from spreading, just because a "judge" says so.

[quote name='Xizer']lol what's with all the asterisks.

nothing has been "won" here, this is just going to make it a little more inconvenient for australian mod chip sellers. the hack is already spreading around like wildfire.

can't stop the revolution baby :D[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back