Ps3 Hd-dvd?

toastman91

CAG Veteran
Ok so if the Xbox 360's hd-dvd drive hooks up through usb and if there is a unrecognize symbol on the PS3 but if someone could hack/mod that what would stop the PS3 from being Blue-ray and HD-DVD. Wouldnt it be the ultimate home entertainment system?

Maybe for a little while... but if one format becomes the norm then you'll have a bit of overkill. If the HD DvD's win out then yes that might be useful for PS3 owners though.

I haven't read into this at all as I don't really care... but can you use it on a PC if its USB? I'd assume yes, but then MS likes to be cunty.

The ps3 doesn't have any drivers written that would support the drive. Maybe if all the copy protection on hd-dvd was broken, then there might eventually be some homebrew for linux on ps3 that might enable hd-dvd video playback. This of course won't happen for many years.

[quote name='peteloaf']No, no, no - this will not work. The 360's HD-DVD drive relies on the 360 itself for the video decoding/processing.[/QUOTE] A pc would do the decoding, just like on normal DVDs.

I thought I read something about winDVD is going to be able to handle that .. not sure when.

Well, it might be possible with a mod or hack... but it'll take a very skilled programmer to pull it off.

bread's done
Back