PS3 HD upgrade? 320gb 7200 RPM $55 AR ends soon

wildnuts02

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
this is a good deal on a Hitachi Travelstar SATA 2 HD at 7200 RPM. there may be issues with noise or heating so beware but for the most part i've heard good things about 7200 drives working in PS3s (performance increase w/minimal heat increase)

The price is confusing but if you add to cart it's $74.95 shipped. Then you can fill out the $20 rebate which ends today. $60 total.

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm a little worried about the overheating.
The greater the RPM, though, the faster stuff will load? As you may have guessed, I don'tknow a ton about this jazz.

I download games and movies all the time, and with a little space management I can't imagine what you would do with 320 gigs

Yeah this is a iffy deal, Bad reviews about the 7200 drives.
iy.gif

iy.gif

IMHO, it would be a better deal to get the 5400RPM drive, simply b/c if your console fries as a result of using the 7200RPM, you'll be in a lot more debt.

Besides, all tests indicate that the performance increase is far out-weighed by the chances of losing your data due to HDD and/or PS3 failure.

[quote name='AwRy108']IMHO, it would be a better deal to get the 5400RPM drive, simply b/c if your console fries as a result of using the 7200RPM, you'll be in a lot more debt.

Besides, all tests indicate that the performance increase is far out-weighed by the chances of losing your data due to HDD and/or PS3 failure.[/quote]

all tests i've seen have shown there is no risk of "frying" the system.

Link

One somewhat unexpected discovery was that this speedy 7200 RPM hard drive was no louder (or hotter) than its slower counterpart - an impressive testament to the PS3's sound-dampening design. In other words, there's really no reason not to buy a speedier hard drive for your PS3....that is, unless you're concerned about voiding the warranty.

[quote name='wildnuts02']all tests i've seen have shown there is no risk of "frying" the system.

Link [/QUOTE]

I used a thermal sensor in mine and the temp readings were approximately the same for both spindle speeds, so I'm going with the article.

At least on one other occasion, CAGers have had the "frying PS3" discussion in other 7200 RPM 2.5'' HDD deal threads. This HDD is not going to fry a PS3.

It won't fry the PS3, it's just that the 7200 RPM doesn't increase performance very much for games. Capacity is the big factor when replacing the drive, and you could probably find a similar deal on the same capacity 5400.

Actually, you'll receive the biggest performance boost by the cache increase. Going from 8mb to 16mb cache will speed up loading more noticeably than going from 5400 to 7200 rpm. Like many in the know have said, if you do your research, you'll see that 7200 rpm drives add little if any additional heat. This is a really good deal if you want to upgrade your PS3 hdd.

I have the 7k320 for my laptop, and it is flying fast. I highly recommend this drive. i wonder how fast a SSD would be in a PS3?

[quote name='R2D2']$59.99 (AR) for a 5400 HITACHI Travelstar:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145227[/quote]

Got to watch the stuff from Newegg though because of the OEM after the product name im not sure exactly what that stands for but from reviews its sounds like its a used one or refurb or something.. I am looking to getting a bigger HDD for my PS3 once taxes come in and im looking at the 300+ range lol just so I never have to worry about space...

What is the major difference when looking at the 7200 vs. the 5400? Will it increase download times when a game installs to the HD and vice versa will downloads to the HD from the PS Store be faster?

This is such an awesome feature that Sony allows you to do without voiding the warranty on the system,just found out about this last weekend and it made me like PS3 that much more...

Thanks

[quote name='Derrick1979']Got to watch the stuff from Newegg though because of the OEM after the product name im not sure exactly what that stands for but from reviews its sounds like its a used one or refurb or something.. I am looking to getting a bigger HDD for my PS3 once taxes come in and im looking at the 300+ range lol just so I never have to worry about space...

What is the major difference when looking at the 7200 vs. the 5400? Will it increase download times when a game installs to the HD and vice versa will downloads to the HD from the PS Store be faster?

This is such an awesome feature that Sony allows you to do without voiding the warranty on the system,just found out about this last weekend and it made me like PS3 that much more...

Thanks[/QUOTE]

OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer

On Newegg, the term means the product will not have the regular retail accessories included with the purchase, such as, cables, instructions and drivers.

Newegg puts the word "Refurbished" in the title for refurbished products.

From 5400 to 7200 RPM, your download speeds will not change because most home connections are not fast enough to max out a present day harddrive's capabilities. Also, as mentioned earlier in this thread, rotation speed is not the only indicator of harddrive performance.

[quote name='Microshock']Those 5 screws you need to take off to switch the HD are a BITCH! I suggest getting pliers.[/QUOTE]

You just need to get the right size screwdriver, it can't be too big/small. I swapped mine out in like 5 minutes, without any issues.

Yes, you need pretty much the exact size screwdriver. I ended up having to drill my screws out because I stripped a few with the wrong kind of screwdriver.

Also I can only speak from my own experience, but my launch 60GB produces a pretty good amount of heat. I bought a 5400RPM drive because of this because any heat increase would have been a bad thing in my case no matter how small it was. Perhaps the newer models wouldn't have an issue with 7200RPM drives, but to be on the safe side if you have a 60GB unit I'd stick with 5400.

[quote name='Grinchy']Also I can only speak from my own experience, but my launch 60GB produces a pretty good amount of heat. I bought a 5400RPM drive because of this because any heat increase would have been a bad thing in my case no matter how small it was. Perhaps the newer models wouldn't have an issue with 7200RPM drives, but to be on the safe side if you have a 60GB unit I'd stick with 5400.[/QUOTE]

The 60 GB always seemed to run hotter, but the difference in HDD speeds is not going to effect the internal temperature. There is no temperature difference between 5400 and 7200 RPM. The issue has nothing to do with "safe side." In this case, the temperature should not be a factor in the buyer's decision.

Someone should get a 5400 over a 7200 RPM drive, if and only if, the cost to storage ratio is higher than a 7200 RPM drive and the access times are unimportant (or less important than storage capacity) to the utility of the buyer.

I think this deal is still live.

Any impressions of this drive? How noisy is it?

edit: I ordered one. Thanks OP

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shouamabane']I think this deal is still live.

Any impressions of this drive? How noisy is it?

edit: I ordered one. Thanks OP[/QUOTE]

yes this deal is back except now it's $5 cheaper! a very good deal and from the reviews it works great in the PS3 as well as laptops. it's very energy efficient

My ps3 overheated last month when I was playing GTA IV and I upgraded my hard drive to something like the one in this thread (320gb 7200 RPM) back in august or September.

I'm not trying to scare anyone but I'm just putting that info out there, a take it as you will.

I have a 7200 RPM HDD in my ps3 and it worked fantastic! It's just my laser that sucks! The faster speed seem to make a difference in install speed, and loading of levels, etc...

This is the drive I'm looking to drop into my Macbook. Looks easy enough - I'm strongly considering jumping on this tonight before the rebate ends.

[quote name='JJSP']This is the drive I'm looking to drop into my Macbook. Looks easy enough - I'm strongly considering jumping on this tonight before the rebate ends.[/quote]It would be a great upgrade from the stock drive in your Macbook. Most likely that's a 5400RPM drive, so you'll see some speedup from it, plus I don't think there will be any real change in battery life. Most of the newer 7200RPM drive have little to no change in power consumption over some of their older 5400RPM counterparts.

[quote name='shrike4242']It would be a great upgrade from the stock drive in your Macbook. Most likely that's a 5400RPM drive, so you'll see some speedup from it, plus I don't think there will be any real change in battery life. Most of the newer 7200RPM drive have little to no change in power consumption over some of their older 5400RPM counterparts.[/quote]
Yep. The stock drive is a wimpy 5400RPM 60GB Toshiba (first-gen Macbook). I'm not too worried about the battery life - Apple just replaced mine yesterday with a brand new one since the old one refused to hold a charge. Thanks for the input, Shrike. I've got an external, but it'd just be so much easier to have everything on the laptop with me and use the external solely for backup.

I don't think it's a good idea, if it overheats than you pretty much lost around 400 just put in the extra 50 for a better hdd

[quote name='rpgamer92']I don't think it's a good idea, if it overheats than you pretty much lost around 400 just put in the extra 50 for a better hdd[/QUOTE]

Except everyone has stated repeatedly that the HDD speed will not cause your system to overheat. Worrying about it overheating is no better than worrying about the sky falling.

Aye, as has been mentioned throughout the thread.

Heat became a non-issue years ago. If its engineered to go faster, its likely engineered to cope for any increase in frictional heat by default.

I put a 500GB into my PS3 and I love it! I have tons of game installs, like 20 downloadable games (the big ones too like Burnout Paradise, Warhawk, Siren, Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty, Wipeout HD, Tekken: Dark Resurrection) and I have 2 seasons of Mash Episodes and 1 season of 24 as well as a couple of other videos and I still have over 300 GB's free.

As for the screws, they were giving me issues but I have a Home Depot next to my house, I took my PS3 with me and got the perfect sized screw driver and it came out with no problem.

In 2 years or so, I plan to swap my hard-drive with a 256 GB solid-state (when they actually become affordable).

I've noticed my PS3's fan kicks on a lot less with this drive installed. I can't decide if it runs cooler than the stock drive or there is an issue with the fan. Anyone have impressions of this drive in their PS3?

(60gb launch unit)

[quote name='shouamabane']I've noticed my PS3's fan kicks on a lot less with this drive installed. I can't decide if it runs cooler than the stock drive or there is an issue with the fan. Anyone have impressions of this drive in their PS3?

(60gb launch unit)[/QUOTE]

tests have shown that this drive runs very cool. this is very good :)

It's back up to $75 shipped, no rebate. I'm glad I bought when i did - hopefully it's an easy swap going into my laptop.

[quote name='wildnuts02']it's not the same thing. the one in the OP is SATA II and it has double the cache (16mb) and comes with a 3 year warranty. plus Zip Zoom is a far more reputable company.[/QUOTE]

SATA II makes no difference in PS3 from everything I have read, and double the price is not worth double the cache.

I have ordered from PCPartsOhio several times and have had nothing but good experiences.

[quote name='opportunity777']
At least on one other occasion, CAGers have had the "frying PS3" discussion in other 7200 RPM 2.5'' HDD deal threads. This HDD is not going to fry a PS3.[/quote]

Sorry, I was just being overly cautious. Thanks for your added input--now I'm not as concerned about the rumored heat issues.

In for one. My 60gb PS3 is down to 1/2 gb, so I need this.

Now, as is usually the case with my luck, someone out there is just about to post a better deal, like a 500gb for $60.

bread's done
Back