ps3 hdd Seagate Momentus XT 500gb $50

[quote name='jedimario']If you have a new PS3 slim, jsut remember you may need to format a USB stick to NTFS? i think. Because the newer PS3s do not have firmware stored on the motherboard so when you change the HDDs it can cause issues if you do not have a usb thumbdrive with the latest system update.[/QUOTE]

usb stick must be formatted to fat 32 ps3 doesn't read ntfs formatted flash drives.

also I ordered my hard drive yesterday morning and I got it today before 1pm... that was the fastest free shipping ive ever seen personally.

[quote name='Don illmatix']These hard drives have huge issues you guys should look into before buying.....[/QUOTE]

every hard drive has issues that you should look into before buying. Unless you have been living on another planet every single mechanical hard disk out there has a decent chance of being DOA. Some are worse than others.

You wont see me rocking a WD Green or Blue anytime ever...

[quote name='retrad']every hard drive has issues that you should look into before buying. Unless you have been living on another planet every single mechanical hard disk out there has a decent chance of being DOA. Some are worse than others.

You wont see me rocking a WD Green or Blue anytime ever...[/QUOTE]
i know, but this one has big time issues that come from the fact that these are first gen hybrid drives. Faulty drivers and overheating issues. Look it up if you wish, or use your "most hdds are doa" logic and buy one.

[quote name='Don illmatix']i know, but this one has big time issues that come from the fact that these are first gen hybrid drives. Faulty drivers and overheating issues. Look it up if you wish, or use your "most hdds are doa" logic and buy one.[/QUOTE]

already said i bought one and I posted the deal. I never said most HDD's are DOA i said there is a decent chance any hdd you buy could be DOA quite a difference.

anyway moving on if there is an issue with it I return it no big deal.

Anyway to those who dont have their heads up their axx, you should really look up the issues with this HDD before buying.

I could be over-exaggerating, but it can NEVER hurt to know more about what you're buying.

[quote name='retrad']youre a moron, seriously.[/QUOTE]

Hey, maybe yours eyes dont work too well, im clearly not talking to you. See what i did there?
Idiot.

Back on topic, I have an older Seagate Momentus 500gb 5400rpm drive that I got from Amazon a few months ago, and its been working perfectly. In the past I've had bad experiences with Western Digital drives (had several fail in servers at work), but rarely have I had issues with Seagate drives. And the drive I got was 5400rpm so it should run a bit cooler than the 7200rpm drives.

Having said that, ALL hard drives which are mechanical (not SSD) are definitely prone to failure. Check our reviews on Amazon for all the brands, and you'll find a mixture of very happy customers, and very unhappy ones from failed drives. I just checked the WD Scorpio Blue 500gb reviews and they're mixed just like they are for the Seagate drives.

Oh and also I have about 10 Seagate external hard drives ranging from 80gb to 640gb, different styles, and not one has ever failed on me. Some are portable drives, some are desktop drives, and they've all been great.

Looking forward to the day that internal and external SSDs become reasonably priced (for 500gb+ capacity), they're just a bit pricey right now, and current consoles just don't take advantage of the speed gains for Sata III/SSD.

Gentleman,

How do you if a drive will fit? I just just spent 30mins looking it up on google, all the guides just say make sure is 2.5 and 12mm and that its SATA, not IDE>. but what are the exact spec's needed?

1. is there an OFFICIAL website or listing of them? specs that is?

2. I am looking at this one.. WILL THIS WORK? its 2.5...
- STBX750100 , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178251

3. I know its pretty standard stuff, but is there a website guide out there for us non techies?

holla

oNe

[quote name='zeldaking']No that won't work. You need an internal 2.5" inch laptop drive. An external drive won't work unless you tear it apart to fit it inside the PS3. I believe any 2.5" internal drive will fit in the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Well he can crack it open and take out the HDD. Based on MikeB User Review (page 2) he says the HDD inside is a HN-M750MBB (Samsung) has 8mb of Cache, 5400 RPM and its a SATA Gen2 3.0GB/s.

Which is basically this drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152290

I already ordered the drive from the OP, but damn... now I'm tempted to tell NewEgg to not send it and send me instead the STBX750100. That way I can have a 750 GB HDD and an enclosure to put the old PS3 drive in. I mean, the HDD from the OP is faster, but for 10 bux more you can get a HDD Enclosure and 250 GB more and since its 5400 RPM it might not heat up the PS3 that much.

[quote name='DarKaoZ']Well he can crack it open and take out the HDD. Based on MikeB User Review (page 2) he says the HDD inside is a HN-M750MBB (Samsung) has 8mb of Cache, 5400 RPM and its a SATA Gen2 3.0GB/s.

Which is basically this drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152290

I already ordered the drive from the OP, but damn... now I'm tempted to tell NewEgg to not send it and send me instead the STBX750100. That way I can have a 750 GB HDD and an enclosure to put the old PS3 drive in. I mean, the HDD from the OP is faster, but for 10 bux more you can get a HDD Enclosure and 250 GB more and since its 5400 RPM it might not heat up the PS3 that much.[/QUOTE]

Check reviews on Newegg, a fair number of failed drives. Sadly this us pretty common for all the mechanical drives.

Bought it from Amazon and I really hate taxes added $5 to my total. I hate living in Washington, screw you state government and your excessive taxation!!! Our sales tax is up to 9.6%!!!

Does anyone know if Gamestop or anywhere else takes trade-ins for PS3 hard drives? I'm sure they don't, but i'd like to be wrong.

[quote name='DarKaoZ']Well he can crack it open and take out the HDD. Based on MikeB User Review (page 2) he says the HDD inside is a HN-M750MBB (Samsung) has 8mb of Cache, 5400 RPM and its a SATA Gen2 3.0GB/s.

I already ordered the drive from the OP, but damn... now I'm tempted to tell NewEgg to not send it and send me instead the STBX750100. That way I can have a 750 GB HDD and an enclosure to put the old PS3 drive in. I mean, the HDD from the OP is faster, but for 10 bux more you can get a HDD Enclosure and 250 GB more and since its 5400 RPM it might not heat up the PS3 that much.[/QUOTE]

d@m so will this work or not? I REALLY REALLY need to know..

Ok, Ok, Its time I shared a dirtly little secret.. The drive is ONLY $39 on sale for 3 days ONLY, so I need to know by end of day today..

http://www.target.com/p/seagate-expansion-750gb-portable-hard-drive-black-stbx750100/-/A-14299273

LET ME KNOW!! will this work with my ps3 as thats the ONLY reason I would purchase it.

I will buy it on the way home from work today! LET ME KNOW PLAYERS!!

oNe

bread's done
Back