PS3 HDMI question

[quote name='MrDemonicAngel']for the ps3...
can i use any hdmi to hdmi cable or does it require a special ps3 only to hdmi cable?[/QUOTE]
Any HDMI male-male cable.

[quote name='zewone']Any HDMI male-male cable.[/QUOTE]

Yep. The HDMI input on the back of the PS3 is exactly like the input on your TV.

[quote name='MrDemonicAngel']thats awesome thanks for info guys...almost wasted $50 on that sony bs...[/QUOTE]

Any HDMI cable will work. www.monoprice.com has them for about $6. Don't spend the $20-$200 some stores will charge you.

[quote name='snakelda']Just wondering,with HDMI,you don't need audiio cables?The HDMI does sound and video?[/QUOTE]
Yes.

[quote name='snakelda']Just wondering,with HDMI,you don't need audiio cables?The HDMI does sound and video?[/quote]

Yes, that is correct. HDMI carries both audio and video.

[quote name='pete5883']Why do I have trouble believing that a $6 cable has any quality to it?[/QUOTE]
because Monster wants you to pay $200 for their HDMI cables

[quote name='pete5883']Why do I have trouble believing that a $6 cable has any quality to it?[/quote]Go ask the AVS forum what kind of HDMI cables they use on their multiple-thousand dollar equipment.

It's because of them, that we know of these cheap (dollar wise) HDMI cables.

[quote name='pete5883']Why do I have trouble believing that a $6 cable has any quality to it?[/quote]

It's Digital 0's and 1's the signal is there or its not.

Don't buy the hype of overprices cables granted for an analog cable you want to make sure there is no interference but digital buy cheap. I have my whole system wired up with monoprice stuff I saved a ton of cash and I'm very very happy with it. This includes component, digital coax, Optical, and HDMI .

Funny how people still use price to gauge quality of products.

All add my name to the list of people who uses Monoprice HDMI. It is cheap, but it looks great.

It doesn't look great, it looks exactly as it ought to look.

The PQ is 100% the same as everyone is getting.
(the signal that is, your TV is another story ;) )

I only have one DVI input on my TV, and it's being used by my HDDVD player.
Were I to get a PS3, could I use a HDMI->DVI cable from the PS3 to the TV? (I know I'd have to run audio elsewhere--does audio still output via optical or analog when the HDMI port is in use?)
Also, is there such a thing as a DVI "combiner", that would allow two DVI cables to connect to my single DVI port?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Can any of you guys tell me the LONGEST HDMI cable I can use with the PS3? I need one quite possibly 200' in length.[/quote]You can use however long a cable you want, but for that length, you'll probably need an HDMI extender/signal booster.

I do see 100ft HDMI cables at monoprice though.
Hmmm.

Why so long?

I only have one DVI input on my TV, and it's being used by my HDDVD player.
Were I to get a PS3, could I use a HDMI->DVI cable from the PS3 to the TV? (I know I'd have to run audio elsewhere--does audio still output via optical or analog when the HDMI port is in use?)
Also, is there such a thing as a DVI "combiner", that would allow two DVI cables to connect to my single DVI port?
You can select audio to output either through HDMI or optical, your choice.

No DVI combiners. You'll have to get a switch box.

[quote name='dallow']You can use however long a cable you want, but for that length, you'll probably need an HDMI extender/signal booster.

I do see 100ft HDMI cables at monoprice though.
Hmmm.

Why so long?
[/quote]

My projector in my home theater is mounted to the ceiling. I need to run the cable in the wall from one side of the room to the other (then down to the projector). I do this now with VGA and component.

Here's a kind of weird question (I know, I need a new TV):

I have an older TV with only SVideo inputs. But I have a nice amp with HDMI switching capabilities. Can I run the video out using the AV Multi Out S-video cable, and run the audio through HDMI in order to get the PCM 5.1/7.1 and the like? (which I know my amp is capable of)

[quote name='Justin42']Here's a kind of weird question (I know, I need a new TV):

I have an older TV with only SVideo inputs. But I have a nice amp with HDMI switching capabilities. Can I run the video out using the AV Multi Out S-video cable, and run the audio through HDMI in order to get the PCM 5.1/7.1 and the like? (which I know my amp is capable of)[/quote]

Hmm.....
Good question.

I THINK so.
I believe you're able to seperately choose you you're using to output video and audio, so I see this being possible.

[quote name='Justin42']Here's a kind of weird question (I know, I need a new TV):

I have an older TV with only SVideo inputs. But I have a nice amp with HDMI switching capabilities. Can I run the video out using the AV Multi Out S-video cable, and run the audio through HDMI in order to get the PCM 5.1/7.1 and the like? (which I know my amp is capable of)[/quote]
No, Once you choose not to have it out putting on HDMI the sound will not pass

You will have to do the AV out like you do then if you want to use 5.1 do an optical out for audio.

EDIT

I take it back looking on the Menu it seems you might be able to it's worth trying out.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']No, Once you choose not to have it out putting on HDMI the sound will not pass[/quote]

Is this true, even with optical audio hookups? If so, then fuck.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Is this true, even with optical audio hookups? If so, then fuck.[/quote]

NO what I am saying is I know you can run s-video and optical out. However I'm not 100% on S Video and HDMI Audio. THe menu looks like you can but I'm not sure of it.

I use HDMI for video, optical for audio.

I'm buying a new receiver real soon, so I'll have HDMI for both.

I think you can do S-Video for video, and HDMI for audio.

[quote name='dallow']I use HDMI for video, optical for audio.

[/quote]

Thanks man. You just confirmed my decision to purchase a PS3.

[quote name='dallow']I use HDMI for video, optical for audio.

I'm buying a new receiver real soon, so I'll have HDMI for both.

I think you can do S-Video for video, and HDMI for audio.[/quote]
I run mine the same way.. What receiver are you looking at I have been thinking of picking up a new one that can do HDMI audio and Video switching.

bread's done
Back