PS3 Imports?

Kyo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I just now realized that the PS3 is region free (for ps3/blu-ray).

A quick look through playasia and i saw nothing of interest for Japanese games (other than that asia ver of Initial D coming out July 3) . Any recommendation for any import ps3 games?

Japanese Rock Band when it comes out maybe, but as of right now you are correct, there's nothing really worth importing.

The newly released Initial D: Extreme Stage is supposed to be really good, but I haven't gotten a chance to pick that up yet, so I can't verify.

If you like baseball the new baseball game is pretty good.. I picked it up last week when I was in Tokyo and the hitting and pitching mechanics are quite unique and fun. Pro Baseball Spirits 5 .

And of course if you like trains there are two Train game titles out in Japan that are fun.

Games are region free like PSP, Blu-Rays have region coding and already some folks are releasing multiregion and regionless Blu-Ray mods.

Ya, as previous poster said it is region free.

However, it is still up to the developer/publisher if they want to put a region lock on it, so not all titles will automatically be region-free. But for the most part, most ps3 and Blu-ray titles will be region-free / multi-region.

That train game ... it intrigues me.

[quote name='crumahara']I've been thinking of getting Disgaea 3, but I'm assuming there are no Engilsh subs. Oh well.[/quote]

It comes out in August in the US so you should probably just wait.

[quote name='oasisboy']So will a Blu-Ray PAL movie region 2 work on an USA PS3?[/quote]

HD is HD, there is no PAL or NTSC, so yes, but only if it isn't region coded. But, if the disc has standard definition extras (like the French disc I have of Dune, for example) then, no, those materials won't play.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Boku No Natsuyasumi 3[/QUOTE]I may get that. If it's true Battle Fantasia not coming stateside on PS3 (we'll see), I'd import that, but it's still up in the air.

Well, if it doesn't come out (Battle Fantasia). Blame Sony's anal policies. But I'm pretty sure it will come out...

For import PS3 games, I have Initial D: Extreme Stage and Ryu Ga Gotoku KENZAN! I highly recommend both...

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I may get that. If it's true Battle Fantasia not coming stateside on PS3 (we'll see), I'd import that, but it's still up in the air.[/quote]

It's fairly similar to the other games, though the world is definitely bigger.

If you've tried the other games, you'll like this. It's fun.

[quote name='MarkMan']Well, if it doesn't come out (Battle Fantasia). Blame Sony's anal policies. But I'm pretty sure it will come out...[/QUOTE]If Disgaea 3 came make it, I'm pretty sure they would not deny Battle Fantasia (I hear they even have all different people approving games now and things have changed).

Regardless, I do not mind importing at all.

GAF mentioned two possible problems, like Aksys may not have PS3 dev kits and it might be too much for them to put up a server for the game in the U.S.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does. Aksys. Aksys = Arc Systemworks lol.

Also, I know the specifics, but the ball is in Sony's court. They had some 'issues' with the game.

[quote name='MarkMan']It does. Aksys. Aksys = Arc Systemworks lol.

Also, I know the specifics, but the ball is in Sony's court. They had some 'issues' with the game.[/QUOTE]You should be saying, SCEA, because SCEJ != SCEE != SCEA. They all have their own regulations on games (SCEJ and SCEE allowed SNK games, but not SCEA).

Also, someone else mentioned, it could go PSN also (since there's no size limit on PSN and it is a niche game).

Well, you know what I meant. Obviously you should know that I know about the different Sony approvals.

And 100% not coming to PSN.

Someone reminded me, it could end up coming to Europe if there's a European release for Battle Fantasia, so I could get that. But overall, I don't want to wait too long since I don't want them to run out of imports, but at the same time I want to wait around.

I MIGHT get Siren disc, but most likely I'll download from PSN. Those who asked about a disc version, SCEA pointed out Play-Asia to them.

[quote name='mykevermin']Buy some PSN Yen and download PSX games.

Rakugaki Showtime is the fuckin' JAM.[/QUOTE]

That game looks awesome, but i don't know a lick of kanji or katakana...

Probably asking the obvious, but here goes anyway...
Do games downloaded from the Japanese PSN store need to be installed using the Japanese account
they were downloaded with, or will they work if you install via your main US account? I'd like to keep
everything tied to one account if possible, but I'm assuming in the case of foreign downloads I won't
be able to. Thanks for any answers.

I just ordered Motorstorm Complete (Asian version for the English love) from play-asia a couple days ago - it's supposed to include all of the DLC that has come out for it since release, and at $45 that's a better deal than buying a $30 US copy + the DLC off the US store (even just the tracks would bump the cost to more than $45).

This is my first foray into imports on the PS3 - been happy with a few I've got for PSP and DS, so hoping all goes smoothly with this one too.

bread's done
Back