PS3 Impressions/General Questions Thread

If I were to get a PS3 now, one of my reasons would be to play PS2 and PS1 games on my HDTV. How improved is the BC playback with these releases? I'm hoping the PS3 does a decent job showing these games in 480p now. Since the only PS3 game that interest me is Resistance, I'll would be playing PS2 games almost exclusively.

[quote name='MadFlava']If I were to get a PS3 now, one of my reasons would be to play PS2 and PS1 games on my HDTV. How improved is the BC playback with these releases? I'm hoping the PS3 does a decent job showing these games in 480p now. Since the only PS3 game that interest me is Resistance, I'll would be playing PS2 games almost exclusively.[/quote]

It's pretty much 100% faithful now (with updated firmware) to what it looks like on a PS2, or PSX.

Though word on the street is that games will soon be able to upscale via software emulation.
We'll find out later this month.

The funny thing with all the PS3 and Sony Bashing is that It's really just a repeat of what happened after the 360 launch.

Alright I just purchased a PS3....I now own all systems XBOX360 / Wii / and PS3. My first impressions of the PS3 werent the greatest. It took forever to download and install the update and sign up for the Playstation Store. The first thing I wanted to play was Gran Turismo HD so I downloaded the demo. It looks very nice and I would have to say the graphics do seem better than the 360 graphics (it should for the money).

So far I have played Gran Turismo HD (I liked it very much!). Virtua Fighter 5 (which is amazing!!!) Motorstorm which is very fun to play but disappointing in the graphics department for me since my TV only supports 1080I, so I had to play it in 480p, but the game seems fun just not very deep. Overall I am happy with my purchase and am glad I can play any next gen game now :) I look forward to searching for deals for all 3 systems and having good conversation here on the PS3 board of cheapassgamer. Now if Sony will just get a fix for the older PS3 games I want to play in HD, since I only have 1080I. I want to play Resistance but not in 480p. Oh well I guess it gives me a reason to buy a new HDTV.:roll:

[quote name='Mogambi']Alright I just purchased a PS3....I now own all systems XBOX360 / Wii / and PS3. My first impressions of the PS3 werent the greatest. It took forever to download and install the update and sign up for the Playstation Store. The first thing I wanted to play was Gran Turismo HD so I downloaded the demo. It looks very nice and I would have to say the graphics do seem better than the 360 graphics (it should for the money).

So far I have played Gran Turismo HD (I liked it very much!). Virtua Fighter 5 (which is amazing!!!) Motorstorm which is very fun to play but disappointing in the graphics department for me since my TV only supports 1080I, so I had to play it in 480p, but the game seems fun just not very deep. Overall I am happy with my purchase and am glad I can play any next gen game now :) I look forward to searching for deals for all 3 systems and having good conversation here on the PS3 board of cheapassgamer. Now if Sony will just get a fix for the older PS3 games I want to play in HD, since I only have 1080I. I want to play Resistance but not in 480p. Oh well I guess it gives me a reason to buy a new HDTV.:roll:[/quote]

Yeah, that sucks that your TV doesn't have a built in scaler like mine. :(

Anyways, I have a question will http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1022901&p_id=1448&seq=1&format=2&style=

work with the PS3? I mean, are these the optical cables that are waht I need?

[quote name='Mogambi']Alright I just purchased a PS3....I now own all systems XBOX360 / Wii / and PS3. My first impressions of the PS3 werent the greatest. It took forever to download and install the update and sign up for the Playstation Store. The first thing I wanted to play was Gran Turismo HD so I downloaded the demo. It looks very nice and I would have to say the graphics do seem better than the 360 graphics (it should for the money).

So far I have played Gran Turismo HD (I liked it very much!). Virtua Fighter 5 (which is amazing!!!) Motorstorm which is very fun to play but disappointing in the graphics department for me since my TV only supports 1080I, so I had to play it in 480p, but the game seems fun just not very deep. Overall I am happy with my purchase and am glad I can play any next gen game now :) I look forward to searching for deals for all 3 systems and having good conversation here on the PS3 board of cheapassgamer. Now if Sony will just get a fix for the older PS3 games I want to play in HD, since I only have 1080I. I want to play Resistance but not in 480p. Oh well I guess it gives me a reason to buy a new HDTV.:roll:[/QUOTE]

my CRT does the same thing. It's 3:4 anyway and the PS3 automatically puts 1080i into widescreen for some reason, which forces my TV to pan and scan which looks pretty bad, so 480p in 3:4 ends up looking clearer and better on it.

I don't think it's worth running out and grabbing a new HDTV just yet-- might as well wait until 1080p sets drop in price, even if it is a few years off. :)

congrats on the new purchase--amazing system, eh? Mine has barely been off since I got it.

[quote name='Apossum']my CRT does the same thing. It's 3:4 anyway and the PS3 automatically puts 1080i into widescreen for some reason, which forces my TV to pan and scan which looks pretty bad, so 480p in 3:4 ends up looking clearer and better on it.

I don't think it's worth running out and grabbing a new HDTV just yet-- might as well wait until 1080p sets drop in price, even if it is a few years off. :)

congrats on the new purchase--amazing system, eh? Mine has barely been off since I got it.[/quote]

Yeah I think I will survive with the 1080I issue for now. As long as Sony keeps pumping out 1080P games I can play them in 1080I just fine. And Virtua Fighter 5 is incredible in 1080I. Yes I am very happy with my purchase, and waiting for 1080P TV's to drop a little more isn't a bad idea at all :)

[quote name='Psykoboy2']I'm having problems getting MP3 playback on the PS3 as well as viewing photos off a memory card. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?[/QUOTE]

what steps are you taking? are you trying to copy them to the ps3?

anyone notice the 60gb ps3 interfering with your TV remote? I exchanged my 20gb for a 60gb this weekend and now my remote stops working completely when its on.

[quote name='Mogambi'] Oh well I guess it gives me a reason to buy a new HDTV.:roll:[/QUOTE]Some say its the reason Sony did it. ;)

I don't have an HDTV yet, but I will make sure I buy one that supports 720p, for my PS3 will display properly. :)

[quote name='Apossum']what steps are you taking? are you trying to copy them to the ps3? [/quote]

I just have a USB flash drive on the music side of things. And then I use an SD Mini card (one for my Wii) for the images, and I get nothing out of either when trying to view or play them with the PS3. It recognizes the card and the flash drive, but says nothing is on them.

[quote name='guyver2077']do online enabled ps2 games work on ps3? everyone ive tried so far just reboots the system[/QUOTE]

Yes, I played some Hot Shots Golf Fore! a week or so ago with a friend of mine, and we were both using our PS3's - worked fine.

[quote name='Psykoboy2']I just have a USB flash drive on the music side of things. And then I use an SD Mini card (one for my Wii) for the images, and I get nothing out of either when trying to view or play them with the PS3. It recognizes the card and the flash drive, but says nothing is on them.[/QUOTE]

Did you create a folder called "PS3" on the flash drive with another folder called "PICTURES" (both have to be all in caps) that you put your pics in? The ps3 is picky about this (like the psp.)

fwiw, I couldn't get an sd card I formatted on the Wii to even register on a ps3. I think the Wii killed the card somehow actually :\

You can get the PS3 to display everything on a flash drive by pressing triangle and selecting some option or other (I can't check at the moment).

[quote name='icruise']You can get the PS3 to display everything on a flash drive by pressing triangle and selecting some option or other (I can't check at the moment).[/quote]

That did it. It's a 2gb flash drive so it's got it's own OS, kinda. It isn't just an empty drive. So yeah, I had to tell it to show all folders and then the files in it. Worked fine. Haven't tried the SD card yet.

So far I have played Gran Turismo HD (I liked it very much!). Virtua Fighter 5 (which is amazing!!!) Motorstorm which is very fun to play but disappointing in the graphics department for me since my TV only supports 1080I, so I had to play it in 480p, but the game seems fun just not very deep. Overall I am happy with my purchase and am glad I can play any next gen game now :) I look forward to searching for deals for all 3 systems and having good conversation here on the PS3 board of cheapassgamer. Now if Sony will just get a fix for the older PS3 games I want to play in HD, since I only have 1080I. I want to play Resistance but not in 480p. Oh well I guess it gives me a reason to buy a new HDTV.:roll:[/quote]

So your current HDTV doesn't support 720p and the PS3 won't upscale to 1080i. What if you have a TV that can do 1080i, 720p, and 480p. What resolution will the PS3 play at. I was hoping for 1080i but 720p isn't that bad either.

Is there an auto shut off option? I know theres a 360 one after like 6 or 8 hours of inactivity. I've had my PS3 accidentally turned on when I come home from work a couple times. I'm thinking I've accidentally stepped on a controller or my BD remote to get it to turn on and since its relatively quiet I don't realize its on.

[quote name='MadFlava']So your current HDTV doesn't support 720p and the PS3 won't upscale to 1080i. What if you have a TV that can do 1080i, 720p, and 480p. What resolution will the PS3 play at. I was hoping for 1080i but 720p isn't that bad either.[/quote]

The highest resolution that the game supports.

[quote name='pinoy530']Is there an auto shut off option? I know theres a 360 one after like 6 or 8 hours of inactivity. I've had my PS3 accidentally turned on when I come home from work a couple times. I'm thinking I've accidentally stepped on a controller or my BD remote to get it to turn on and since its relatively quiet I don't realize its on.[/QUOTE]I believe so under the options menu.

anyone here know anything about the image quality adjustment,
-frame noise reduction
-block noise reduction

and how they can be used?!

and my second question,
how can you back up information to another hard drive, or external hard drive.

[quote name='Thomas96']anyone here know anything about the image quality adjustment,
-frame noise reduction
-block noise reduction[/quote]

No clue. Those aren't mentioned in the update notes.

[quote name='NamPaehc']No clue. Those aren't mentioned in the update notes.[/QUOTE]

yeah the feature isn't a new one.. its been there all along, but I'm trying to figure out how it affects dvd playback -

Sorry to bump such an old thread but this seemed to be the only one that was suitable for me to ask my question.

I just bought and PS3 20g used at Gamestop and I'm having some problems. When I first set mine up on my HDTV though the screen was jumping, the text was blurry where lines were passing thorugh and I had really distorted colors. I then tired it on my SDTV and it was fine. I then brought it back over to the HDTV and had the same stuff going on. I was using composite cables since I don't have component or HDMI yet so for some crazy reason I thought that could've been the problem. I left it on took a shower and ate dinner and I turned the TV on and the picture was just fine. Anyone have any idea waht this might be? Should I not risk it and bring it back?

[quote name='SpikeSpiegel']Sorry to bump such an old thread but this seemed to be the only one that was suitable for me to ask my question.

I just bought and PS3 20g used at Gamestop and I'm having some problems. When I first set mine up on my HDTV though the screen was jumping, the text was blurry where lines were passing thorugh and I had really distorted colors. I then tired it on my SDTV and it was fine. I then brought it back over to the HDTV and had the same stuff going on. I was using composite cables since I don't have component or HDMI yet so for some crazy reason I thought that could've been the problem. I left it on took a shower and ate dinner and I turned the TV on and the picture was just fine. Anyone have any idea waht this might be? Should I not risk it and bring it back?[/quote]http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144299

There is that thread on the front page.

As for your problem... it's strange.
I wouldn't worry about it, once you get your component, or preferably HDMI cables, it should be fine at the native TV resolution.

[quote name='dallow']http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144299

There is that thread on the front page.

As for your problem... it's strange.
I wouldn't worry about it, once you get your component, or preferably HDMI cables, it should be fine at the native TV resolution.[/quote] Yeah thanks, I must've missed the thread because I thought it would've been pinned sorry about that. I think I'll keep it unless I have the problem again I think I should call Sony though. Thanks a lot.

just picked up a jawbone (original) today and it doesnt seem to work just wondering if im not doing something right.
headset is on its paired with the system just not getting anything from it.
any help would be cool
thank you

I just got a PS3 from my friend's little brother for an indeterminate loan. I'm certainly buying a Slim eventually, as I've been waiting for the pricedrop for about a year.

I have a quick question: should I worry about copying over gamedata / redownloading PSN games on my own system when I get it? I'm mostly certain that there's no reason for worry, but just in case anyone anywhere knows of anything or anyone getting shafted in the process. In the case of both the Wii and Xbox360, the support for system-migration has been flawless, and Sony's list of hardware complains is a good deal shorter (unless I'm mistaken).

[quote name='MarioColbert']I just got a PS3 from my friend's little brother for an indeterminate loan. I'm certainly buying a Slim eventually, as I've been waiting for the pricedrop for about a year.

I have a quick question: should I worry about copying over gamedata / redownloading PSN games on my own system when I get it? I'm mostly certain that there's no reason for worry, but just in case anyone anywhere knows of anything or anyone getting shafted in the process. In the case of both the Wii and Xbox360, the support for system-migration has been flawless, and Sony's list of hardware complains is a good deal shorter (unless I'm mistaken).[/QUOTE]

When you perform a PS3 backup, savegames get copied, but PSN games must be redownloaded.
Pay attention to these points, and try to get more info by searching the forums (I'm no expert):

1. PSN games can be activated in 5 PS3's (eg. you buy a PS3 and download a game off your account =1, go to your friend's house, log on with your PSN account and download it again +1 = 2, then u go to your grandma's PS3, log on again with your PSN account, buy some other game +1 = 3, then your PS3 breaks, you buy another and redownload those 2 games: +1=4, then you buy the new slim PS3, redownload: +1=5, then that breaks and u buy another, log on with your account and PSN will say something like "screw you, you already activated this account in 5 different playstations, no more downloading for you!)
--- So I'm basically saying: be careful when using other people's PS3 with your PSN games.
--- This is not true with a few games (SOCOM and Warhawk, for example); I don't know what will happen exacly, but I believe u can use in as many PS3's as u like, but one at a time, since u need to be logged on with YOUR account to play them.

2. Some savegames do not work when you migrate from 1 PS3 to the other (most do, but some don't, I dont know which, look around the forums and you will find them)
--- I do recommend that before switching to the new PS, that you update the current one to the latest version, and do the same for every game u got; update and load them up at least once. Then perform the backup; load the backup in the new PS, update everything and you're good to go... (except for those saves that cant be moved))

Hope this sheds a little light... :)

[quote name='LFLFM']When you perform a PS3 backup, savegames get copied, but PSN games must be redownloaded.
Pay attention to these points, and try to get more info by searching the forums (I'm no expert):

1. PSN games can be activated in 5 PS3's (eg. you buy a PS3 and download a game off your account =1, go to your friend's house, log on with your PSN account and download it again +1 = 2, then u go to your grandma's PS3, log on again with your PSN account, buy some other game +1 = 3, then your PS3 breaks, you buy another and redownload those 2 games: +1=4, then you buy the new slim PS3, redownload: +1=5, then that breaks and u buy another, log on with your account and PSN will say something like "screw you, you already activated this account in 5 different playstations, no more downloading for you!)
--- So I'm basically saying: be careful when using other people's PS3 with your PSN games.
--- This is not true with a few games (SOCOM and Warhawk, for example); I don't know what will happen exacly, but I believe u can use in as many PS3's as u like, but one at a time, since u need to be logged on with YOUR account to play them.

2. Some savegames do not work when you migrate from 1 PS3 to the other (most do, but some don't, I dont know which, look around the forums and you will find them)
--- I do recommend that before switching to the new PS, that you update the current one to the latest version, and do the same for every game u got; update and load them up at least once. Then perform the backup; load the backup in the new PS, update everything and you're good to go... (except for those saves that cant be moved))

Hope this sheds a little light... :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I did look over all the (excellent, thanks guys) PS3 FAQ threads, and I really appreciate the effort. I was mostly worried about some "freaky" things like some hardware failures. To put it in perspective - BRAID on XBOX360 has a bug where it'll remain in "DEMO" mode if you needed to replace your Xbox. A bugfix for that has yet to be released.

In unrelated news that nobody should care about, I got PixelJunk Eden, and it owns me pretty hard.

1) The Back-up utility does store PSN games. (SOCOM and Warhawk work the same as other games but they have a "lock-out" feature that prevents you from accessing it on a different system at the same time / same day as another system I think)

2) Some saved files are synched to your PSN name- that is why some saved files fail to transfer properly (such as burnout paradise).

Im proud of my 2007 80Gb it plays PS1,Ps2 and listen to this Ps3 games! it also makes the room hot, its good for my girlfriend when we play eyetoy play on it

Does anyone have the Socom Confrontation earpiece? I found it for thirty dollars and I wondered if it was worth it before I open it.

bread's done
Back