“PS3 in Danger of Dying” Crowd Debunked

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']This is why the thread is wrong.

No matter what you say about games, Blu-Ray, or anything else, the fact remains that the PS3 is the console with the highest entry cost. In a lousy economy, that extra $100-$200 you could save by getting a Wii or 360 is going to matter to a lot of people. The lousy economy also negates Blu-Ray as a selling point; why spend $30-$40 on a movie when you can get the standard def version for half the price and it'll still look just fine on your old TV sets you can't afford to replace?

That doesn't mean that the PS3 is going to vanish...but it does mean that it's an awful year to be selling luxury items like game consoles. Since virtually everything Sony sells is consumer electronics - electronics that aren't necessary for daily life - I would imagine the company as a whole is going to take a pretty significant hit in the upcoming year. How the PS3 will fare is still to be seen. There's a market for it, sure, but it's also a market that's getting smaller with each passing day.[/quote]

This is 100% true. Even though I have a large amount of money saved up ($3300) and a free credit line ($1050) with no debts, spending $400 + tax and a game on a system is absolutely ludicrous. Not when I have to consider that 2009 is going to suck even more for the economy. Not when tuition is going up, living costs is going to go up, gas is going to go up (even though it went down, that was due to circumstances. It WILL rise though) among so many other factors it makes it downright insane.

I've always been the kind of person to put away money for entertainment and tap that particular fund when I want a game or whatever. $200 - $300 can buy just about every single game I could possibly want between my Wii and DS and still have a little bit change left over. The very idea of taking that money and putting it towards a console would just not work out. And tapping into other funds that are made strictly to stay afloat would be downright stupid. Sure, I have a job and money made from it can keep me afloat, not to mention continue to increase my net worth as I save a small percentage of it, but who is to say that job will exist in a few months? In the past fourteen months, I've been laid off twice and it is looking to happen again.

And this is a student in college who is talking, what about families whose financial sitution is even stricter and consequences of poor planning are even greater? I don't even want to think about it.

The PS3's value is great, it DOES have games and it makes an excellent Blu-Ray player. But damnit, most people can't afford it. I will consider buying a Xbox 360 Arcade unit any day of the week over a PS3 even despite the fact it does not have a HDD. At least I can play games on it just fine. Although I have to admit, as much as I would like one, it is just not in the cards. It would break that budget I have set aside for entertainment in half. :D

bread's done
Back