PS3 Info: Leaked!?!?!?

[quote name='dafoomie']The rumor of the day is that PS3 will go with 2 SKU's, 1 for $399, and 1 for $599. I would have to believe that if they did have a DVR function, it would be in the $599 version. I don't think this particular rumor has any substance to it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it accidentally ended up true to a certain degree.

http://www.gamerandy.com/archives/2006/02/ps3_skuered_1.shtml[/QUOTE]

Hmm... if it's just the DVR functions, I can do without and I imagine others can too but if it also means no blu-ray we are looking at another 360 situation where no one wants the core...

[quote name='javeryh']Hmm... if it's just the DVR functions, I can do without and I imagine others can too but if it also means no blu-ray we are looking at another 360 situation where no one wants the core...[/QUOTE]
I don't think Blu-Ray would be the thing stripped out, its only a matter of software and it wouldn't be any cheaper to make the cheap system. And, I think if having DVR drove up the price that much, they'd just drop it completely.

I'm having trouble thinking of anything except the hard drive that they could cut and realistically save money on, and at this point, a hard drive isn't even standard. Its going to be an expensive system as it is, even without the speculative stuff like DVR.

Like I said a few months ago. The PS3 will be the Porsche/Lamborghini of game systems, the 360 will be the Honda Accord, and the Revolution will be like a Chevy SSR or something. I'd equate it to a VW bus, but I wanted something new for this comparison.

[quote name='sarausagi']I guess the people who don't care for this kind of stuff should stick to their Gamecubes and Wal-Mart DVD players.[/QUOTE]

Gee, I didn't realize that a simple laymans' understanding of high def storage media was going to keep me from fully appreciating the PS3. Good to know. Be sure to stick to that attitude the next time you have to drive a car or see a doctor. Don't be a douche.

[quote name='trq']Gee, I didn't realize that a simple laymans' understanding of high def storage media was going to keep me from fully appreciating the PS3. Good to know. Be sure to stick to that attitude the next time you have to drive a car or see a doctor. Don't be a douche.[/QUOTE]

You're beeing a little defensive. And he has a point.

neclcg.jpg

Ummm, NO!

If your dumb ass had paid attention in Physics 100 you would know that the wavelength of light affects how small of an area it can pass through. (the length affects the width, so to say)

A red or green laser simply cannot read the pitts in the Blu Ray disk because they are so small.

You wrote half a page of inorant, baseless, and totally uneducated bullshit. Are you proud of yourself?

A CD drive can read DVDs? WTF? Cut off your balls right now so your genes can't destroy the future of humanity.

[quote name='sarausagi']If anyone is confused about the use of the CELL and RSX for Blu-Ray decoding, I'll try to explain it as simple as possible.

Optical discs tend to be pretty much the same, there are a few difference in what most people refer to as "grooves" and data is packed differently, plus the intensity of the laser used to decode data tends to differ as well, however, what truly matters is what the appliance does with the data.

Take for example, a DVD. If you put a DVD into a PSOne or a Saturn, it will -try- to read the disc , it will spend quite a while trying to read it, why doesn't anything happen? The data the laser -can- read can't be decoded, for example, compressed/encrypted MPEG2 data. Even if it read all the data, it would have to be decoded, the consoles just don't have the processor power to emulate a codec and don't have the chipsets to do it automatically.

The PS3 will not have dedicated Blu-Ray video hardware, in other words, no decoding chips for, what is it, umm, MPEG4 data? The processsor [CELL/RSX] however will process software codecs that will allow the play back of Blu Ray movies.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Quackzilla']A CD drive can read DVDs? WTF? Cut off your balls right now so your genes can't destroy the future of humanity.[/QUOTE]

That is the greatest thing I've read on a message board. Ever.

[quote name='WebScud']You're beeing a little defensive. And he has a point.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that came out a bit stronger than I intended ... but I concede no point! ;)

bread's done
Back