PS3 & Lightning Damage

BuffyOfTheDead

CAGiversary!
A few weeks again, a storm hit and lightning somehow went through my surge protector and hit my PS3. After that, the green light would come on but nothing would happen until a few minutes later, then it would kick on seemingly like normal. But even when it kicked on, there was no signal on my TV. I tried a different TV with a different HDMI cable and still nothing.

Some googling told me that the HDMI port was out. I stupidly didn't think to check and see if it worked with the AV cable before I took it to someone to be fixed. It took them almost two weeks to fix it, I bring it home after paying 118 bucks, and the HDMI is still out. Okay, so this irritated me. I called them up and they didn't check the HDMI, even though I told them when I brought it in, I thought it was out. I asked them what exactly did they replace and they tell me... the blu ray lens...?

Basically, I just want some opinions on this. When I did bring it home, I plugged it in with the AV cables and it worked. It was still insanely slow to start up but it worked like normal once it did. So I kinda feel like they screwed me over. It's entirely possible my PS3 worked with the AV cables before I took it in, and they either replaced a part I didn't need or they lied about it. Because I had no trouble with my PS3 in any way before this, and I don't see how lightning could damage a lens. D:

I really have no idea what kind of advice you want. You basically seemed to be screwed over by whoever fixed it as for the amount you paid you could have probably traded it into GS paid the same amount (maybe 40$ more) and gotten a new one. I guess if it is an establishment try to get your money back? if it is a person you are probably screwed unless there is some kind of warranty plan. Regardless its probably semi shot keep it as a backup and look for a new one or wait for the "new model".

If that ever happens again, for future reference, when the PS3 is on standby, hold the power button down for a while. It'll do the initial beep, then beep twice. After the second beep, let go of the power button. It reboots the system in 480p, even via HDMI, and you can change it from there. I've had to do this several times.

Did anything else get damaged?

The reason I ask is a while back, I got lightning damage via my cable internet: the surge came via my cable to my modem, then my router, my desktop's network port, my OG Xbox wired to my router, and finally my TV's component input bank that my Xbox was connected to (luckily my Wii connected to the same input bank didn't get damaged).

Initially I thought it was just my Xbox, router, and network card (my cable modem is leased from the cable co), so I didn't fille an insurance claim. I wish I would have, since now my 65" TV no longer has a working component input bank.

I basically just wanted to know if anyone thought that lightning damage to the lens WAS possible, bjstucker. Because I don't exactly know for sure. And googling didn't provide anything about the lens. It just sounded off, considering I got it back in pretty much the same condition that I took it to him in. And it's a local establishment that I took it to, but obviously not a very professional one. I did take it back to him, because I called him up when I noticed it wasn't fixed. But he didn't exactly tell me I wouldn't be charged extra for another part. The guy is kinda... standoffish. Like he doesn't know how to properly talk to people. I dunno. I do regret taking it to him in the first place but the reason I did was because he was the only person local I could find that fixed PS3s.

Also, trading it in wasn't an option. I've had it for years. It has a ton of stuff on it, that I didn't want to lose.

But yeah... apparently the lightning transferred through the HDMI somehow. It completely killed our DVR and we just discovered it got the HDMI in our TV, too. It also took out our phone lines. This is the first time it's ever done something like that. And all of these things were on a surge protector. Needless to say, from now on, I'm gonna be unplugging stuff with a storm hits.

Do you have coaxial cable by any chance?

So it fried your TV's HDMI but you tested it on a second. Can you verify the second TV's HDMI is working?

[quote name='BuffyOfTheDead']A few weeks again, a storm hit and lightning somehow went through my surge protector and hit my PS3. After that, the green light would come on but nothing would happen until a few minutes later, then it would kick on seemingly like normal. [/QUOTE] First understand how a surge does damage (if it was a surge). A typical example. Lighting strikes AC wires far down the street. That is also a direct strike incoming to every appliance. Are all appliances damaged? Of course not. Because electricity must have both an incoming path and another outgoing path to earth.

One good path to earth was incoming on the PS3 and outgoing maybe via HDMI through TV and out to earth via the TV cable. Damage is often on the outgoing path. So the HDMI port on a PS3 might be damaged.

Not in that path is a blue ray lens. It has no incoming and outgoing path. So either surge damaged parts were also replaced. Or damage was not due to a surge.

Find damage by tracing potential connections to earth. Avert future damage by earthing that surge BEFORE it even entered the building (the least expensive and most reliable solution).

You protector would have done exactly what it claims to do. It only claims to protect from surges that are typically not destructive. Protectors never claim to protect from storm generated transients. To know otherwise, then post the manufacturer spec number that claims that protection. Good luck finding numbers that make that claim.

Learn from the experience. And consider a solution that actually does future protection.

bread's done
Back