PS3 Media center abilities??

Shredso

CAG Veteran
Feedback
1 (100%)
I recently set up network cable in each of 3 rooms with TV's and have an xbox set up on each. Neither was a big deal to do because I had a box of cable and xboxs were either cheap or free. Anyway, I was setting up a movie server but got all discombobulated with the file format mess. I can't seem to find a way to keep the movies high def and 5.1 surround. Only one TV has surround, 2 are high def.

I'm thinking about biting on that credit card offer and using the PS3 on the TV with surround and hoping whatever format the PS3 wants to have the DVD's ripped in will also work in stereo on the xboxs. Does this make sense to anyone? I also have a Western Digital media server thingy I got for free for buying a TV, that might also do the trick. I don't care too much about the PS3 other than for its supposed better media server capabilities, though it might be nice to have a blue ray, and I guess an exclusive game here or there. Any thoughts? Would a PS3 solve this problem?

PS3 is an absolutely mind blowing media server, just make sure you use PS3 media server. Most people who come over are just blown away by the media streaming on it, they had no idea the PS3 was capable of anything close to it. Its severely underrated. I am actually thinking about writing a guide for CAG on the PS3 streaming to help people along, since ive been using it for so long now, i know the in/outs really well. Would anyone be interested in such a thing?

[quote name='blitz6speed']PS3 is an absolutely mind blowing media server, just make sure you use PS3 media server. Most people who come over are just blown away by the media streaming on it, they had no idea the PS3 was capable of anything close to it. Its severely underrated. I am actually thinking about writing a guide for CAG on the PS3 streaming to help people along, since ive been using it for so long now, i know the in/outs really well. Would anyone be interested in such a thing?[/QUOTE]

I would be interested.

I would like a write up too...seems too complicated when compared to setting up my 360 but would like to give the PS3 a try to compare against the xbox's capabilities

I used my PS3 to stream from PlayOn, and Windows Media Center (?)- but I don't know much about it other than that. I'd LOVE to see a guide.

[quote name='blitz6speed']PS3 is an absolutely mind blowing media server, just make sure you use PS3 media server. Most people who come over are just blown away by the media streaming on it, they had no idea the PS3 was capable of anything close to it. Its severely underrated. I am actually thinking about writing a guide for CAG on the PS3 streaming to help people along, since ive been using it for so long now, i know the in/outs really well. Would anyone be interested in such a thing?[/QUOTE]
please do... i find that i have problems with my setup

ok. I have a very detailed guide already written up, but the forum i posted it to is very hardcore geek, and theres details there that will apply to less then 0.07% of the members here, so i need to clean it up and make it easier to use for the everyday gamer.

Just a fyi tho, the reason the PS3 is an incredible media streamer, is because it has no limits at all. Most streaming devices have bandwidth limits, especially the 360, the ps3 has none. If its a format thats playable, it doesnt matter if the bitrate is 100MB/sec, it will play. Its very unique in this aspect.

^Is this via Linux? I've installed YDL 6.1 but am having the time of my life installing the qemu thingy to allow me to install apps such as VLC, etc. Might try a reinstall this weekend as I've been going in circles trying to get it working right.

Count me among the number of new PS3 owners (thank you Sears pricing error) who would be really interested and appreciate this. Looking forward to it.

[quote name='blitz6speed']ok. I have a very detailed guide already written up, but the forum i posted it to is very hardcore geek, and theres details there that will apply to less then 0.07% of the members here, so i need to clean it up and make it easier to use for the everyday gamer.

Just a fyi tho, the reason the PS3 is an incredible media streamer, is because it has no limits at all. Most streaming devices have bandwidth limits, especially the 360, the ps3 has none. If its a format thats playable, it doesnt matter if the bitrate is 100MB/sec, it will play. Its very unique in this aspect.[/QUOTE]

Did this guide ever get posted on CAG?

Yeah, I looked into the media thing too but I don't get how to do it w/o special software. I wish it could connect up to my iTunes library and just play it.

[quote name='jh6269']Yeah, I looked into the media thing too but I don't get how to do it w/o special software. I wish it could connect up to my iTunes library and just play it.[/QUOTE]

Just install PS3 Media Server on your PC and set one of the file directories to wherever all your Itunes music is stored. Then run the program and turn on your PS3 and you're done.

bread's done
Back