PS3 news - price drop? new bundles?

dr_blackthunder

CAG Veteran
hey ... just wanted to start a thread on upcoming PS3 news ... so that people on the fence about getting one won't have to go through the entire internet to get updated.

There's news of a potential price drop as well as possible new bundles, and even a "slimmer" version of the PS3.

Updates to follow ... :bouncy:

sorry i already passed out holding my breath :( seems likely a newer model like a slim? or yeah new bundles but price drop? well see next week lol

Last edited by a moderator:
bundles = likely

price drop = not likely.

I've been watching and reading a lot of stuff around the net from analysts and it seems most of them believe that a price drop will not occur at E3. Like them, I believe it makes no sense to have a price drop at E3. It won't serve its purpose properly.

Sony's best bet is to drop the price in September or October once all those great games start coming out: Uncharted 2, MW2, etc..... Sony is likely to gain a lot more that way because with great games and with a reduced price, they are likely to perform better at that time.

E3 should be left to game announcements that would help a plan like that come September.

Yep. Wrong place for thread and the chances of PS3 price drop happening in the next two months are slim. The redesign is launching late August / September. No price drop 'til then and it'll be temporary to clear out current stock.

[quote name='TheClair']But it's sooner now than it was then. You can almost taste the soonness of it.[/QUOTE]

lolllllllll

Too many rumours say that Sony will ensure the PS3s on the shelf must be sold before the slim comes out. How could anyone not think there will be a price drop?

even if they have a price drop it would only be for the old fat ps3. Fat chance of slim ps3 price drop. Once slim ps3 comes out, retailers would try to get rid of their fat line up.

Plus if it's the slim one that was in those pictures that went up a few weeks ago, it's ugly as heck and cheap looking. I hope those were only slim prototypes and not what the actual slim system will look like when and if it comes out.

[quote name='eday_2010']Plus if it's the slim one that was in those pictures that went up a few weeks ago, it's ugly as heck and cheap looking. I hope those were only slim prototypes and not what the actual slim system will look like when and if it comes out.[/QUOTE]

Yep, the slim is ugly. I'm just waiting for the PHAT to drop price. A slim version will make that happen.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Well, the PSP Go looks pretty sexy, and it's not a rumour... :cool:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/30/sonys-psp-go-leaks-out-before-e3-is-obviously-a-go/[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, supposedly it uses the smaller Memory Stick M2 which means we can't use our existing Pro Duos to expand the flash memory it has. Also, existing TV out cables, the ones used for 2 and 3000 series, are also out. It'll have a different method to output to TV, if it does at all; and no, it's doubtful it'll be HMDI.

Guys you're missing the point of a slim redesign.

Did you all forget when the PS2 Slim came out? It came out with an accompanying price drop. The slim systems are redesigned to not only be smaller, but also cheaper to make, allowing for a lower price point (which increases sales), so when a slim comes out, it's right around the same time as a price drop.

If the slim PS3 redesign is in fact not a rumor, expect the PS3 price drop to come around the same time, and for the slim to launch at the lower price.

Also look forward to backwards compatibility making a comeback via software emulation once people stop buying PS2s. At least that's my theory.

[quote name='poiuiu']and no, it's doubtful it'll be HMDI.[/QUOTE]

It's practically a guarantee it won't be. That thing doesn't look even remotely close to big enough to fit an HDMI port on it.

Or does mini HDMI exist now?

[quote name='poiuiu']Unfortunately, supposedly it uses the smaller Memory Stick M2 which means we can't use our existing Pro Duos to expand the flash memory it has. Also, existing TV out cables, the ones used for 2 and 3000 series, are also out. It'll have a different method to output to TV, if it does at all; and no, it's doubtful it'll be HMDI.[/QUOTE]

With 16gb built in, I doubt you'd have to rush out and buy memory right away. I have a 4gb and I do fine. Since this sucker is strictly Digital Distribution, you will definitely need space, but I figure by the time the PSN store gets up and running (effectively) with all of the PSP's new DD stuff, prices for add-on memory will probably start to drop.
I can't even see any sign of a video-out port on the Go, but it's early. I don't know why they would want to make it HDMI, unless they plan to up the video output resolution past the 480p it does now.
Not surprising that the new PSP would make the previous revision's add-on peripherals defunct; that's pretty much been the story with every iteration of the PSP :cry:

[quote name='djsaiyan']It's practically a guarantee it won't be. That thing doesn't look even remotely close to big enough to fit an HDMI port on it.

Or does mini HDMI exist now?[/QUOTE]
It doesn't exist, but some wacky in the head guys think the thing will have an HDMI port based on a blurry pic.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']With 16gb built in, I doubt you'd have to rush out and buy memory right away. I have a 4gb and I do fine. Since this sucker is strictly Digital Distribution, you will definitely need space, but I figure by the time the PSN store gets up and running (effectively) with all of the PSP's new DD stuff, prices for add-on memory will probably start to drop.[/quote]
You'd think that'll happen, but prices won't so quickly, especially in nonUS territories.
Also I got over 20 games, so even if you average out all my games to 800 megs each, that's still far too much for a measly sixteen gigs assuming you have nothing frivolous like movies, music, or save files. :p

I can't even see any sign of a video-out port on the Go, but it's early. I don't know why they would want to make it HDMI, unless they plan to up the video output resolution past the 480p it does now.
Not surprising that the new PSP would make the previous revision's add-on peripherals defunct; that's pretty much been the story with every iteration of the PSP :cry:
I think you're mistaking that for the PS3 where Sony only took away features. As far as I know, from one series to the next, they either added features or just changed them for the better. The only thing they 'removed' are the exploits for making them run custom firmware.
But with the Go, UMD drive is out and no video out, unless the headphone jack is one of those that also outputs video as well which can mean guys can just buy a generic part for that instead of paying a premium for a specific cable; it's doubtful tho.

bread's done
Back