PS3 or 360

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']360 for games.

PS3 for everything else.[/QUOTE]

Just depends on exclusives. If you like Playstation's exclusives better, then go that way, if you like Xbox's better, go that way.

I think personally I prefer the Xbox's exclusives (Shadow Complex, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect 1, etc.) but Playstation has awesome stuff like Metal Gear Solid 4. A lot of the big "event" games I like about equally on both platforms (i.e. Uncharted 2 is one of the best looking games ever, and is fun, but I like Gears 2 roughly as well, etc.)

I dunno anymore... It's been so long since I've sat down and played an actual game on either console that I can't currently recommend either.

BUT, just because Mass Effect and Red Dead Redemption get a 360. Unless you have not played SoC or Ico... I dunno. Who cares.

*actually PS3 for Uncharted 2. Yea.

[quote name='Vinny']While I wouldn't say it sucked, I'm shocked there there's actually someone else (besides me) who believes the first ME was better.[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%. If they could go back and clean up ME1 with it's numerous technical problems - then it would be no contest. But ME2's story was boring garbage (minus Shadow Broker - that was amazing).

I dont know all the 360 exclusives, but Gears 3, Halo ODST + Reach, Fable 3, and Alan Wake are the only ones im aware of now that Mass effect 2 is comin to PS3. Things like Left for dead and alot of other 360 exclusives can be played better on a PC, not the case with PS3's many exclusives.

PS3 has Uncharted 1+2, Infamous 1+2, Heavy Rain, Killzone 2+3, Resistance 1+2+3, MAG, Little Big Planet 1+2, Ratchet and Clank Future 1+2, Ratchet and Clank 4 for All, God of War 1+2+3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Valkyria Chronicles 1+2, Twisted Metal, Last Gaurdian, ICO/Shadow collection, Sly Cooper Collection, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Final Fantasy XIV, Gran Turismo 5, 3D dot game, and DEMONS SOULS (this alone is worth buying the PS3 for).

Either console would be good, but my vote is definently for PS3. Those great exclusives, Free online play, and blu ray is tough to beat

I just don't get why anyone would say 360 for games and PS3 for everything else. Just like Xenogears said, there are only a small handful of 360 exclusives compared to huge amount of PS3 exclusives (and almost all of them are high quality games). Honestly, my family uses our PS3 almost every single night, if it's not me playing games, we're watching Netflix (for no additional cost btw) or Blu-rays and DVDs.

I've done nothing but game on the PS3 since I bought it last year while my Wii gathers dust.

Everyone is talking about the pros of PS3, let's look at the cons:

PS3 - hard drive fills up fast! Each game you play creates install and save files in the background. I have a old 60 gig model, and within a month, I was struggled for HD space. It is a major pain to hunt down all the junk files.

Constant firmware updates - Seems like every time I turn on my PS3, I have to download an update which can take 10-15 minutes. And these updates rarely add anything exciting. Features like Home require lots of update downloading and waiting.

Online Store is a mess - the layout really stinks. It's not easy to find something simple like finding the latest demos. With Xbox, two clicks and you are there.

PS3 releases are still inferior - While it doesn't occur too often, releases for the PS3 continue to be delayed and inferior to the Xbox counterpart. Case in point, Red Dead Redemption. The PS3 version featured less graphic detail and weaker framerate. PS3 owners sometimes have to wait longer for a release such as Gothic 4. Comes out next week for Xbox. PS3 owners have to wait till 2011.

Fair enough. Point out cons of PS3, but those are pretty minor or false.

1. PS3 hardrives are much bigger now. Just as big as 360, if not bigger, and extrememly easy to upgrade. The PS3 also requires less game installs than 360 since there are games which can fit on one blu-ray but need multiple 360 dvds. This "con" is false.

2. Constant firmware updates? Once a month max. If you actually play the system on a regular basis, this is nothing. If you plan to buy it then rarely play it, I could see how it might be annoying. But even then, this is barely an issue. At worst, leave the PS3 on an hour and your all caught up.

3. Online store is fine for me. Alphabetical demos, movies, games section...If you know your ABC's you'll find what you want. 360 might be more familiar and easier for you to navigate, but PS store works fine. Not an issue.

4. PS3 releases are not inferior. The single multiplatform game that the differences actually matter is Bayonetta. And a patch for PS3 made it closer, but on that single,poorly ported game the 360 is still better. Other than that, check review sites. See how scores are identical? Games are the same, and you will not notice any difference. There are plenty that are better on PS3 as well. Not an issue.

---My vote is still for PS3. Its pros of blu-ray, free online play, arguably more and higher quality exclusives still outweigh any of these minor things your pointing out. Fine for pointing them out, especially if they matter to OP, but in my opinion they are non-issues.

[quote name='kingkiller33']Everyone is talking about the pros of PS3, let's look at the cons:

PS3 - hard drive fills up fast! Each game you play creates install and save files in the background. I have a old 60 gig model, and within a month, I was struggled for HD space. It is a major pain to hunt down all the junk files.[/QUOTE]

The HDD is upgradeable, and newer models come with 320 GB hard drives. Also, the HDDs are non-proprietary and can be upgraded with almost any laptop HDD (360 cannot do this, and their HDD prices are relatively very expensive). All files are easily located in the XMB and can be deleted.

[quote name='kingkiller33']Constant firmware updates - Seems like every time I turn on my PS3, I have to download an update which can take 10-15 minutes. And these updates rarely add anything exciting. Features like Home require lots of update downloading and waiting.[/QUOTE]

Firmware updates are maybe once a month or every few months. If you rarely use your PS3, it will seem like every time you turn it on, you will need to update. But you are correct, they do take 10-15 mins. However, you can download them on a PC and play your PS3 offline while they download.

[quote name='kingkiller33']
Online Store is a mess - the layout really stinks. It's not easy to find something simple like finding the latest demos. With Xbox, two clicks and you are there.[/QUOTE]

Can't argue with you b/c I have never used the XBOX store, but I can find stuff just fine with the PSN store.

[quote name='kingkiller33']
PS3 releases are still inferior - While it doesn't occur too often, releases for the PS3 continue to be delayed and inferior to the Xbox counterpart. Case in point, Red Dead Redemption. The PS3 version featured less graphic detail and weaker framerate. PS3 owners sometimes have to wait longer for a release such as Gothic 4. Comes out next week for Xbox. PS3 owners have to wait till 2011.[/QUOTE]

This is true. However, it is becoming less common, and in some cases, the PS3 versions are far superior (i.e., FF13) in the graphics dept. Also, you are correct about PS3 owners having to wait for many timed-exclusive 360 games, however, we usually get them cheaper with more content and all the DLC for free. So it's a trade-off. Frankly, there are so many games for PS3, I don't mind waiting.

[quote name='Kendro']I stand corrected on Madden. But take a game like Modern Warfare 2 on release. When Black Ops comes out, I prefer the platform with the bigget community.

Top Ten Software Sales, November 2009

1. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360, Activision Blizzard) 4,200,000
  2. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3, Activision Blizzard) 1,870,000
[/QUOTE]

It's not like I'm ever going to have a problem finding a game with 1.8 million people as opposed to 4.2 million. When the numbers are that big, neither community is "small"

[quote name='Xenogears']Fair enough. Point out cons of PS3, but those are pretty minor or false.

3. Online store is fine for me. Alphabetical demos, movies, games section...If you know your ABC's you'll find what you want. 360 might be more familiar and easier for you to navigate, but PS store works fine. Not an issue.
[/QUOTE]

Wrong. Just try to quickly find the latest episode of Pulse. It's a video, click video tab, not under movies, not under tv, hmm where is it. Oh yea, Game tab then media, right?

[quote name='kingkiller33']Everyone is talking about the pros of PS3, let's look at the cons:

PS3 - hard drive fills up fast! Each game you play creates install and save files in the background. I have a old 60 gig model, and within a month, I was struggled for HD space. It is a major pain to hunt down all the junk files.

Constant firmware updates - Seems like every time I turn on my PS3, I have to download an update which can take 10-15 minutes. And these updates rarely add anything exciting. Features like Home require lots of update downloading and waiting.

Online Store is a mess - the layout really stinks. It's not easy to find something simple like finding the latest demos. With Xbox, two clicks and you are there.

PS3 releases are still inferior - While it doesn't occur too often, releases for the PS3 continue to be delayed and inferior to the Xbox counterpart. Case in point, Red Dead Redemption. The PS3 version featured less graphic detail and weaker framerate. PS3 owners sometimes have to wait longer for a release such as Gothic 4. Comes out next week for Xbox. PS3 owners have to wait till 2011.[/QUOTE]

Are you trollin?

Like a lot of people have been saying, it comes down to what you want out of a system.

PS3 is a great value if you want to use the Blu Ray, but if you're like me, Blu Ray doesn't matter. I watch Netflix for the most part, which you can get on either system now.

Xbox has a much nicer online experience, but there is a premium charge for that. It's not the end of the world, but some people treat it like it is.

PS3 has much nicer graphics, but to me, it just doesn't seem as streamlined.

This argument is definately a trolls wet dream, but if I was to cast my vote, it would be for the Xbox 360. I want a PS3 (I play my friends frequently, which is where my experience with the machine comes from), but it's still a little too expensive for how little I would use it. It also factored in that the majority of my friends are on the Xbox 360.

[quote name='Retom7']Like a lot of people have been saying, it comes down to what you want out of a system.

PS3 is a great value if you want to use the Blu Ray, but if you're like me, Blu Ray doesn't matter. I watch Netflix for the most part, which you can get on either system now.

Xbox has a much nicer online experience, but there is a premium charge for that. It's not the end of the world, but some people treat it like it is.

PS3 has much nicer graphics, but to me, it just doesn't seem as streamlined.

This argument is definately a trolls wet dream, but if I was to cast my vote, it would be for the Xbox 360. I want a PS3 (I play my friends frequently, which is where my experience with the machine comes from), but it's still a little too expensive for how little I would use it. It also factored in that the majority of my friends are on the Xbox 360.[/QUOTE]

WTF? How can graphics be streamlined?

Also, kingkiller is clearly either trolling or a 360 fanboy.

"it's not easy to find something simple like the latest demos"

Really? That New Releases button too hard to locate? Too much of a hassle to see the big white letters that say DEMO under the pic? Too much of a hassle to push the dpad down or to the right 2 or 3 times.

Hey, it's your choice. Just buy whichever has more exclusives you want. Piles of awesome games on both, and like 85% of the libraries are the same anyway.

[quote name='Linkgx1']We'll u guys better dwcide quick. $215 more till xbox is mine.....[/QUOTE]
Well since you type like a tween kid, I think you'd be better off with the 360 and Xbox live. You'll feel right at home!

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Well since you type like a tween kid, I think you'd be better off with the 360 and Xbox live. You'll feel right at home![/QUOTE]

C'mon, don't feed the trolls.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Well since you type like a tween kid, I think you'd be better off with the 360 and Xbox live. You'll feel right at home![/QUOTE] what the hell are you talking? I'm typing this from my android phone. People like you remind me why I hate sony

[quote name='Linkgx1']what the hell are you talking? I'm typing this from my android phone. People like you remind me why I hate sony[/QUOTE]
I'm glad I could remind you.

[quote name='kingkiller33']Wrong. Just try to quickly find the latest episode of Pulse. It's a video, click video tab, not under movies, not under tv, hmm where is it. Oh yea, Game tab then media, right?[/QUOTE]

360 keeps gaming videos in their film store? Anyways, that's user error not the UI being bad.

[quote name='Linkgx1']what the hell are you talking? I'm typing this from my android phone. People like you remind me why I hate sony[/QUOTE]

:lol: Glad you're getting a 360 and not a PS3.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']These type of threads NEVER end well. But I too must admit that I think most of the PS3 exclusives kinda suck. inFamous, Metal Gear (Cutscene)Solid 4(can't even call THIS a game, more like an interactive cutscene:roll:) and Heavy Rain are three of the most overhyped, overrated pieces of crap on the PS3.

Now Demon's Souls on the other hand is a great reason to buy a PS3. It's a truly challenging(sometimes frustrating) game, which is a rarity nowadays.[/QUOTE]

Some people like cut scenes and interactive stories! BTW GTA IV sucks. ;)

[quote name='lolwut?']360 if you're serious about games.

PS3 if you want an all around machine.[/QUOTE]

Ya because PS3 haz no games, it's a well known fact.

I used to be big on the XBOX 360, especially for multiplayer, but the latest Halo game sucks, and the next best multiplayer game is multiplatform (Call of Duty).

Then you have the PS3 exclusives (Uncharted, Killzone, and SOCOM) which all have superb multiplayer portions as well. Gears of war kinda stinks since its so slow and laggy.

I currently have a 360 at college, and a PS3 at home. I am seriously contemplating switching out my 360 for the PS3, which is something I would have never considered a year ago. The only thing is for me, all my family and friends have a 360.

[quote name='Linkgx1']We'll u guys better dwcide quick. $215 more till xbox is mine.....[/QUOTE]

Take your useless tweets somewhere else. You say you hate Sony, and expect to not be treated like a troll? Don't act like your the OP, anyone cares what you buy, and that your actually reading any points to help you "dwcide." And $215 more till xbox is yours?...You still got a long ways to go, if five years after release you only got $50 bucks saved for it.

Really, systems have periods of time where they seem to be at a "high" and continuing to "go up". When PS3 released at $600 with a crab killing game, 360 had it beat, except for the 1/2 that RROD'd within a year. PS3 has turned it around, and if your not a blind fanboy, it is very hard to argue that 360 is better in any significant way right now. Its a viable gaming system, no fault if thats what you choose, but unless all your friends are on xbox, at this point in time the best advice is probably to get a PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xbox 360 is the system getting gimped the most.

Castlevania requires discs swaps to get back to previous chapters, PS3 works fine as its on a single disc. FAIL

X-men is max 4-player local, ps3 is 6-player local. FAIL

Call of Duty Black Ops on 360 has Side-by-Side 3D, which means you play it in HALF resolution, to 640x720. PS3 one is full 1280x720 in HD. FAIL

So yah, go with the xbox broski!

[quote name='J7.']360 keeps gaming videos in their film store? Anyways, that's user error not the UI being bad.

:lol: Glad you're getting a 360 and not a PS3.

Some people like cut scenes and interactive stories! BTW GTA IV sucks. ;)

Ya because PS3 haz no games, it's a well known fact.[/QUOTE]

Nice response :lol: And Guns of the Patroits kicks ass. ADD people who can't sit through a TV show need not apply, but I hate when they pretend most people can't sit still long enough to watch something :lol:

Whichever you buy, don't cling onto that systems benefits and have a go at those who do not own the same system as you
In other words, I hate fanboy's...

[quote name='blitz6speed']Castlevania requires discs swaps to get back to previous chapters, PS3 works fine as its on a single disc. FAIL[/quote]

I'm just thrilled if the Xbox one INCLUDES multiple discs. I don't see it as a big deal to swap discs, and in fact it's cool when games do multiple discs. I can't count the times when the Xbox version of a game is crammed into one 6.8GB disc, and it shows-hyper compressed sub-DVD video, etc. I wish they all just used the number of discs they need. Heck, Final Fantasy 13 needs more than 3.

Call of Duty Black Ops on 360 has Side-by-Side 3D, which means you play it in HALF resolution, to 640x720. PS3 one is full 1280x720 in HD. FAIL

The fact that any uses "3D" is fail :lol:

[quote name='Xenogears']
Really, systems have periods of time where they seem to be at a "high" and continuing to "go up". When PS3 released at $600[/quote]

It has to be said-it launched at $500. Can't believe how that myth gets carried on... Still $100 more than the Xbox launched at though, but that gives you a Blu Ray player which is still useful to be getting since few of us have enough Blu Ray players.

[quote name='help1']I used to be big on the XBOX 360, especially for multiplayer, but the latest Halo game sucks[/quote]

What sucks about it? I've only played the first one and Reach, and liked Reach pretty well. I haven't played anything but co-op multiplayer though, and have zero interest in that.

[quote name='Xenogears']Take your useless tweets somewhere else. You say you hate Sony, and expect to not be treated like a troll? Don't act like your the OP, anyone cares what you buy, and that your actually reading any points to help you "dwcide." And $215 more till xbox is yours?...You still got a long ways to go, if five years after release you only got $50 bucks saved for it.

Really, systems have periods of time where they seem to be at a "high" and continuing to "go up". When PS3 released at $600 with a crab killing game, 360 had it beat, except for the 1/2 that RROD'd within a year. PS3 has turned it around, and if your not a blind fanboy, it is very hard to argue that 360 is better in any significant way right now. Its a viable gaming system, no fault if thats what you choose, but unless all your friends are on xbox, at this point in time the best advice is probably to get a PS3.[/QUOTE]

Why is it that every one is being a dick today? I just started saving 4 one and most of my friends have a 360. Why get so worked up? P$3 games just started getting good in 2009

[quote name='Linkgx1']Why is it that every one is being a dick today? I just started saving 4 one and most of my friends have a 360. Why get so worked up? P$3 games just started getting good in 2006[/QUOTE]

There, I corrected your mistype for you.

[quote name='Wolfpup']There, I corrected your mistype for you.[/QUOTE] no they just got good in 2009. Aside from mgs4, no game was really a killer app. No I think the 1st party games are blowing the xbox outta the water (yet to see a game that looks like uncharted 2).

[quote name='Linkgx1']no they just got good in 2009. Aside from mgs4, no game was really a killer app. No I think the 1st party games are blowing the xbox outta the water (yet to see a game that looks like uncharted 2).[/QUOTE]

FFXIII, even though it wasn't near as good of a game as Uncharted 2 is, had pretty damned good graphics on PS3; comparable to Uncharted 2 IMO.

[quote name='Wolfpup']

What sucks about it? I've only played the first one and Reach, and liked Reach pretty well. I haven't played anything but co-op multiplayer though, and have zero interest in that.[/QUOTE]

Well, I have been playing Halo since the Halo 1 days, and Halo reach really just throws all the dynamics that made Halo what it was (no recoil, balanced grenades, melees that were worth while, a competitive ranking system) and tried to mold it into a Call of Duty model. This leads to problems, since the Call of Duty model is great if you want mindless fun, but Halo has never been about that.

[quote name='help1']Well, I have been playing Halo since the Halo 1 days, and Halo reach really just throws all the dynamics that made Halo what it was (no recoil, balanced grenades, melees that were worth while, a competitive ranking system) and tried to mold it into a Call of Duty model. This leads to problems, since the Call of Duty model is great if you want mindless fun, but Halo has never been about that.[/QUOTE]
That's true, but what you've done is look at a problem that isn't really of great importance compared to what they've improved on. For example, in the matchmaking, they've given the players the choice on which game type they wanna play, not just veto a map and hope for a good one next. Then there's the customization of emblems, colours of them, different armour types, and armour abilities, I think, have been a really good addition.
The only problem (that you have not pointed out already) is the Matchmaking. Now everything is credit based, you don't have to be playing a Lieutenant grade 2 and get your butt kicked in (however in the early stages of a game, that's usually the case). I'm quite gald they fixed this problem early on, as opposed to many other games
*cough cough* Modern Warfare 2 *cough cough*
(I am just kidding, it was a very good game, but because of that, it was thoroughly exploited)

[quote name='JasonTerminator']I guess I'm in the minority using my 360 more, huh? I don't see how people say the PS3 has better single player games at the moment, when they won't have Mass Effect 2 until next year...

PS3 is mostly my blu-ray player though, so take from that what you will.[/QUOTE]

infamous, uncharted, and rachet and clank, yakuza 3? All epic wins. I ould keep going but those four along could keep someone busy a loooong time with the free worldness

bread's done
Back