PS3 or DSi - What should Santa bring me?

RMThompson

CAGiversary!
So Santa (my wife) has informed me that I will be recieving a console this year for Christmas. YAY! Only, she couldn't decide which to give me, so she is letting ME decide.

The budget is essentially $200 dollars, plus $100 or so in Gamestop money.

Now immediatly I think that's enough for a PS3, but I'm not sure that's what I want.

Some info:

I own a Wii and a Xbox 360
I usually play one game and then I am done with it after a few months (current game, Modern Warfare 2.)
I rarely keep games past these few months, except RB2 and Beatles: RB
I review games for a website occasionally, so it would be nice to have a PS3.

Now here are my Pros for each one:

PS3:
Opens up to games I cannot play
BluRay, something I've been wanting to buy ANYWAY (almost bought this week).
Free online play.

DSi:
I dont have ANY portable gaming device
My kids have DSi so we could share certain games
I would be able to get one or two games right away!

Now here are my Cons for each one:

PS3:
Higher cost, so I wouldn't be able to get ANY games to start
Online play not as robust as the 360
Would need to stay in the living room, might limit certain games

DSi:
Not a high amount of games I want to play, but a few great ones I've missed
I have a Ipod Touch I play portable games on, not sure if I would have a LOT of opportunities outside of the house to play portable games.
My kids already have one so I CAN play these games already.

So, that's where I am at. I am really stuck 50/50. Maybe owners of these systems can give me some idea on which they prefer?

[quote name='QiG']Get the PS3 and trade your 360/Wii for a DSLite and a case of heineken[/QUOTE]

This man speaks wisdom (with regards to the PS3 part, at the very least)!

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Get a DS Lite instead.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is just fine the way it is. Hell, I am still rocking the Phat! And if you do, you can also buy more games for it and/or for your 360.

PS3 for some great exclusives (Uncharted, LBP, Infamous) and Blu Ray. Then wait for the DSi XL!

My disclaimer - If it's multi-platform; get it on the 360. (Please don't hate on me. It's just an opinion!)

PS3, especially since you want a Blu ray player too. Use your kid's DSi while they are at school or something to play the games you want on there.

How about this for a different option:

Buy a standalone Blu-Ray player(there's a bunch of them out there under $200 now)AND have "Santa" bring you a DS or DS Lite, as I'm sure he could find a sale on one of those someplace as well.

And there you go....you have a BR player, a DS/DS Lite and maybe a bit left over to buy a game with for it.

Or like others have said, just use your kids DSi when they're not home and just buy games for it with what would be going towards the PS3 and/or the DSi.

EDIT: Here's a search from Amazon where the first three players are ALL under $200: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=blu+ray+player

Yeah you guys bring up some great points. Here are some responses:

1. As far as reviewing games, I am only one person on the website, others have PS3 so any PS3 games get reviewed.
2. It's more difficult than one would imagine to "borrow" my kids DSi/DSlite to play some games when they are around, they are gamers as much as I am.
3. The standalone BluRay is a good idea. I don't need any of the fancy features, and WalMart has a cheapy on sale for $78 dollars.

Which leads me to what I think is my conclusion:

I am going to buy a DSi, and a cheap BluRay player. I don't know if there are enough exclusives on PS3 for it to be worth it, in the long run. Looking at the BEST games for each system, the DSi has more games I haven't played that I WANT to play.

Then later on down the road I can still get a PS3, (Heck my birthday is in March) and maybe be able to find a deal. The cheap BluRay will go into the kids room then, and then I would only need one more BluRay player to make the entire house BluRay.

It's a difficult choice, part of me is already kicking myself for not getting a PS3 when I have a chance to do so, but I think it's the smarter choice.

Now... why is everyone hating on the DSi. It's only 40 more bucks, and I would think the ability to DL games easier alone would be worth it. No?

[quote name='RMThompson']
I am going to buy a DSi, and a cheap BluRay player. I don't know if there are enough exclusives on PS3 for it to be worth it, in the long run. Looking at the BEST games for each system, the DSi has more games I haven't played that I WANT to play.

Now... why is everyone hating on the DSi. It's only 40 more bucks, and I would think the ability to DL games easier alone would be worth it. No?[/QUOTE]

Ouch, really? PS3 has been on a roll since late 07 in kicking out exclusives: Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, MGS4, Valkyria Chronicles, LittleBigPlanet, Flower, Killzone 2, the pixeljunk games, inFamous, Motorstorm, Resistance, Demon's Souls, a few sequels this fall and then God of War, Gran Turismo, Heavy Rain, 3D Dot game Heroes, Modnation Racers, and Last Guardian are some of the games on the way. I dunno, that seems pretty well rounded to me and that there's something for everyone in the lineup.

And the 'dislike' for the DSi can generally be attributed to that some people liked having a GBA port and longer battery life, for example, instead of a camera and DSiWare capabilities because neither has made that big of a splash yet.

Difficult call, both consoles are worth owning. Although once you get a PS3 the 360 is pretty much obsolete, maybe you can trade that stuff in and get a nice selection of lower cost PS3 games. The DS, well I'm still using my original model since the camera addition doesn't interest me, but that system has a huge selection of good games.

I hate movies but if you want a player I guess that limits your choices.

Wait for an upgrade to the DS. The graphics are starting to look outdated to me at least. I have a DS Lite, and I'm waiting for the next gen DS.

If you have an HDTV, go for the PS3; you are going to have a huge backlog after you get the PS3 (got mine in May and I'm drowning in games).

Why the hell would you get a standalone Bluray player over a PS3? I wouldn't even suggest that to nongamers. Firmware + added settings; makes it a better choice.

And if you are just going to be arrogant in thinking that PS3 has no good games and no good games going to be released, then you already made your choice.

dsiware is a joke. bad camera is equally bad. Just get a dslite if your gonna get a ds at all, but I would choose a ps3 over it. If you want a second stand alone blu ray player, those seem to be getting cheaper all the time so it might be smarter to buy that after a ps3 rather than the other way around.

OK guys... I grabbed the DSi. After this thread I went to Gamestop with every intention of getting a DSlite, but they only had blue and pink (Not black or crimson that I wanted.)

BUT they did have the White DSi Bundle with some built in software, so I grabbed it. I might return it and grab a lite in the next few days if I see a good price.

All in all, I think I made the right decision.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Why the hell would you get a standalone Bluray player over a PS3? I wouldn't even suggest that to nongamers. Firmware + added settings; makes it a better choice.

And if you are just going to be arrogant in thinking that PS3 has no good games and no good games going to be released, then you already made your choice.[/QUOTE]

I never said that. I said there aren't ENOUGH standalone games to justify the purchase right NOW. If I assumed their weren't any good games, this thread wouldn't have even been started. LOL

RMThompson,

If you want a stand alone blueray player, I'll have a brand new unopened one to sell maybe next week. I'm buying an HDTV bundle that comes with a blueray player, and sonystyle refuses to let me exchange it for a PS3 instead. So I'm going to get the bundle and sell the blueray player and buy a PS3 w/the cash.

[quote name='jh6269']RMThompson,

If you want a stand alone blueray player, I'll have a brand new unopened one to sell maybe next week. I'm buying an HDTV bundle that comes with a blueray player, and sonystyle refuses to let me exchange it for a PS3 instead. So I'm going to get the bundle and sell the blueray player and buy a PS3 w/the cash.[/QUOTE]

Yeah cool. Let me know what model.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Why the hell would you get a standalone Bluray player over a PS3? I wouldn't even suggest that to nongamers. Firmware + added settings; makes it a better choice.

And if you are just going to be arrogant in thinking that PS3 has no good games and no good games going to be released, then you already made your choice.[/QUOTE]

I think the OP would get the standalone BR player because they're half the cost of a PS3 and after buying the PS3 and a DSi or other handheld they would have nothing leftover for games. Actually, if they were to buy a PS3, they would have had nothing leftover for a DSi or DS Lite at all, unless they did the current 20% Bing cashback from Sears which drops the price of a PS3 to $240 after BCB.

The OP still has a 360, Wii and according to a recent post by them they bought a DSi, so they now have that too.

Not everybody likes the 'exclusive' games on the PS3. Matter of fact, when it comes down to it many of them are overhyped junk.:roll:

Between the two I would get a ps3(however if you feel the exclusives are not enough to warrant a purchase then don't buy it) . Dsi I feel is a waste since I have gba games that I like to play and own a DS Lite. I doubt I will buy another Nintendo portable unless the graphics are upgraded and they bring back the gba slot. It doesn't surprise me that there have been 3 ds's released soon to be 4. Just look how many gameboys there were lol. Hope you enjoy your DSi though. :)

For the record, I much prefer to use my PS3 as a blu-ray player than my stand alone Samsung. Certain BD-Live equipped discs really seem to hate loading on a player without storage to write some files too.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Between the two I would get a ps3(however if you feel the exclusives are not enough to warrant a purchase then don't buy it) . Dsi I feel is a waste since I have gba games that I like to play and own a DS Lite. I doubt I will buy another Nintendo portable unless the graphics are upgraded and they bring back the gba slot. It doesn't surprise me that there have been 3 ds's released soon to be 4. Just look how many gameboys there were lol. Hope you enjoy your DSi though. :)[/QUOTE]

Look at how many variations of the PS3 there are too though. There's the 20 and 60 fully BC ones, the MGS gunmetal colored BC one, the 40 gb, the 80 gb software BC and believe there was also an 80gb without the BC at all.

Then you have the slims, where we already have the 120gb(which I have after trading my 40gb) and now the 250gb model.

I know I didn't even cover some of the other SKU's of PS3 out there, including the various variations that were released overseas(the 60gb models in EU were non BC or only software BC from the get go, I believe).

Of course, they still haven't topped the innumerable revisions of the PS2 hardware from last gen, where they had the 30001, 30001R, 33001, 35001, 39001, 50001 and so on and so forth.

Every console manufacturer does it, though I really wish they would stop it. I preferred the base SKU we all had back in the 16 bit era, where everything was seemingly the same across the damn board per manufacturer.

bread's done
Back