PS3 outsells 360 in US

Crimson_Raven25

CAGiversary!
via Computer and Video Games

PS3 outsold 360 last week in North America, following the $100 price-drop on the 60GB version.

According to stats collected on vgchartz.com, 41,005 PS3 consoles were sold in the week ending July 14, compared to 360's 35,084 sales.

Wii, meanwhile, still dominated the pack with 76,394 sales.

On Monday last week Sony cut the price of the 60GB PS3 down to $499 in the US, while confirming the release of an 80GB version in August.

The drop seems to have made an impression on sales, but will it last? Sony confirmed to CVG that the 60GB console will be phased out in favour of the $600, 80GB version after July. We'll see what happens then...

i guess score one for sony...for now =]

Good news.

I'm guessing (like other people) that once the 60gb's are gone the 80gb version will drop to $499. That really would be th best thing Sony could do.

I don't really doubt the PS3 outsold the 360 last week/this month, but don't rely on VGChartz for numbers that fine, their sample size isn't good enough.

Won't know for sure till next month when the NPD numbers for July are out.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Amazon ran out of stock, someone spin that as a bad thing please.[/QUOTE]

Amazon was tired of old stock and decided to do a buy 1, get 1 free deal on all PS3 systems.:lol:

Is it true that the 80GB version doesn't have the EE chip? I really don't wanna bother with software emulation.

I'll wait for NPD numbers but I'm sure PS3 finally outsold the 360.

The important questions is, will it last?

And Vinny, yeah, the 80GB versions won't have the EE when they come out.

interesting. I would expect PS3 sales to rise and 360 sales to fall, since one dropped in price and the other is broken, but that probably won't be the case.

[quote name='whoknows']Good news.

I'm guessing (like other people) that once the 60gb's are gone the 80gb version will drop to $499. That really would be th best thing Sony could do.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's my guess as well. Sony's probably realized that that price drop was vital to the success of the system right now and if they haven't realized it, they will once they see the sales hitting continually higher numbers. They can't just release an 80gb at the stupid $600 price again and expect it to work, even with that worthless piece of shit, Motorstorm.

That's it? I was expecting astronomical numbers like a half million units sold. And up only 6 thousand on the 360 is not a big whoop, especially when it's only 40k sold. Damn, why did I buy the PS3 on amazon? using this analysis, It's pretty much assured that the spike in sales isn't that large and Sony will have to do even more drastic pricecutting with bonuses in the coming months. I guess the amazon ps3 is going back and I'll wait til they either drop another 150 bucks which with Sony's freefall will happen. I remember the same thing happened to the gamecube. It was 199 in the first year then dropped to 149 and then 99 bucks the next year and with some nintendo promotions like a free game and free wavebird at circuit city which made me buy mine. Sony is in dire straits. They could not drop the price and be indignant about it like Sega did with it's saturn and suffer major losses like sega did or be like nintendo and survive til the next generation. my guess is that sony will definitely analyze the market and drop the price again. It's better to concede the price battles than lose the system war. I don't understand why there aren't any third party games materializing for the ps3. I would expect konami and capcom to have something by now. Jeez it's already 7 months and nada. I think the biggest killer to sony's dream is probably sony themselves. Sony's CRT Televisions were legendary for lasting forever and people still want to keep their CRT's that they paid big money for. I still have mine and the ps2 looks great on it. The ps2 also has a better lifespan and can probably last another 5 years. Sony should have waited til next year to debut the ps3 at 400 bucks. They are still making more money than anyone else on the ps2's themselves and games.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Amazon ran out of stock, someone spin that as a bad thing please.[/quote]

Amazon only had 20 systems in stock.....j/k. Please stop trying to pretend that everyone hates Sony. There are are a couple Sony haters but there are just as many fanboys to even things out.

well the thing is, this price drop probably had to be negotiated internally. Not everyone in Sony agrees that a price drop is the proper strategy, so what better way to test out the effects of the price drop than to test it on an outgoing model. Perhaps using this test and the bump in sales, the people internally who want the price dropped will get their way and then the 80GB will hit the 499.

[quote name='sparklecopy']That's it? I was expecting astronomical numbers like a half million units sold. And up only ten thousand on the 360 is not a big whoop, especially when it's only 40k sold. Damn, why did I buy the PS3 on amazon? using this analysis, It's pretty much assured that the spike in sales isn't that large and Sony will have to do even more drastic pricecutting with bonuses in the coming months. I guess the amazon ps3 is going back and I'll wait til they either drop another 150 bucks which with Sony's freefall will happen. I remember the same thing happened to the gamecube. It was 199 in the first year then dropped to 149 and then 99 bucks the next year and with some nintendo promotions like a free game and free wavebird at circuit city which made me buy mine. Sony is in dire straits. They could not drop the price and be indignant about it like Sega did with it's saturn and suffer major losses like sega did or be like nintendo and survive til the next generation. my guess is that sony will definitely analyze the market and drop the price again. It's better to concede the price battles than lose the system war. I don't understand why there aren't any third party games materializing for the ps3. I would expect konami and capcom to have something by now. Jeez it's already 7 months and nada.[/quote]

Are you serious? :cold: :cold: :cold:
This was the past week....
I take it you don't normally follow hardware numbers and know what realistic numbers look like.

I was also surprised that PS3 didn't beat out 360 by more for the week. Considering amazon and CC both ended up out of stock (they probably started with huge stockpiles) I was expecting closer to Wii numbers. Either way, this is a good sign for the system that has the most appealing future game line-up for my interests.

Does anyone know where vgcharts gets its info. Considering that most PS3 sales last week probably came from CC/Amazon, having a small sample size that does not include either of those two could skew the numbers down a lot.

[quote name='depascal22']Amazon only had 20 systems in stock.....j/k. Please stop trying to pretend that everyone hates Sony. There are are a couple Sony haters but there are just as many fanboys to even things out.[/QUOTE]

It's not so much the fanboys that bother me (they are everywhere, and for every system), but the media has definitely shown a bias against the PS3 (and with good reason, as it seems to garner attention).

As for the news, while it is good the PS3 finally outsold the 360, it isn't as great as some make it out to be. This is definitely a result of the (limited) price drop, and, right now, Sony needs more than just a spike in sales. Then again, this is a pretty slow time for game sales, and, with the bigger releases still months away, I'm not surprised it still isn't that high.

If Sony is smart, they will drop the 80 to $499 and take out Motorstorm for the holiday season. We'll see how they handle this.

Good news for Sony. Hope it continues to the end (even as a avid Wii60 supporter the 360 really needs a price drop to).

one week? big deal. Sony has a major hill to climb, but the bright gaming forecast for the PS3, coupled with some of MS' woes, shows that they at least have a fighting chance of overcoming the bad press/gamer negativity that has plagued them since around the time the PSP was released.

[quote name='sparklecopy']That's it? I was expecting astronomical numbers like a half million units sold. And up only 6 thousand on the 360 is not a big whoop, especially when it's only 40k sold. Damn, why did I buy the PS3 on amazon? using this analysis, It's pretty much assured that the spike in sales isn't that large and Sony will have to do even more drastic pricecutting with bonuses in the coming months. I guess the amazon ps3 is going back and I'll wait til they either drop another 150 bucks which with Sony's freefall will happen. I remember the same thing happened to the gamecube. It was 199 in the first year then dropped to 149 and then 99 bucks the next year and with some nintendo promotions like a free game and free wavebird at circuit city which made me buy mine. Sony is in dire straits. They could not drop the price and be indignant about it like Sega did with it's saturn and suffer major losses like sega did or be like nintendo and survive til the next generation. my guess is that sony will definitely analyze the market and drop the price again. It's better to concede the price battles than lose the system war. I don't understand why there aren't any third party games materializing for the ps3. I would expect konami and capcom to have something by now. Jeez it's already 7 months and nada. I think the biggest killer to sony's dream is probably sony themselves. Sony's CRT Televisions were legendary for lasting forever and people still want to keep their CRT's that they paid big money for. I still have mine and the ps2 looks great on it. The ps2 also has a better lifespan and can probably last another 5 years. Sony should have waited til next year to debut the ps3 at 400 bucks. They are still making more money than anyone else on the ps2's themselves and games.[/quote]

[ENTER] Button!

Umm, PS3 used to sell like 90k units A MONTH.

I think thats a pretty big leap.

And for the rest of your block of text said, "mhmm..."

[quote name='depascal22']Amazon only had 20 systems in stock.....j/k. Please stop trying to pretend that everyone hates Sony. There are are a couple Sony haters but there are just as many fanboys to even things out.[/quote]

Hah. I as making a joke.

I'm actually kinda surprised at how shallow the numbers are. Based on the general reaction just around CAG, I'd have expected the PS3 to have kicked the crap out of the 360 and the Wii in terms of sales based on stock availability and the clearance pricing.

Hopefully for Sony, this is just the start of gaining momentum and not a 1 shot deal.

Could very well be, the problem is they don't have the games to keep up the word of mouth to keep sales going.

I see Warhawk and Lair are both releasing in August, which could be a good thing. Warhawk for the multiplayer. Lair for the visuals and perhaps as a replacement for Warhawk's single-player.

No one in their right mind would buy a 360... I'm kicking myself for buying one.. they're not reliable products... I'd hate to get deeply involved in a game I can't put down, and then my 360 dies. I'm definitely sticking w/ the PS3. I would hope that Sony keeps something on the market for 499... people are responding well to that price... people love value, but sometimes value at 599, might be a little too much value.

[quote name='daroga']I'm actually kinda surprised at how shallow the numbers are. Based on the general reaction just around CAG, I'd have expected the PS3 to have kicked the crap out of the 360 and the Wii in terms of sales based on stock availability and the clearance pricing.

Hopefully for Sony, this is just the start of gaining momentum and not a 1 shot deal.[/quote]I have a feeling that the price drop/awesome deals sold more consoles to the hardcore audience that accepted a $500 price point, which means a big uproar on CAG and the like... but not a huge increase in the general populace.

If they manage to keep the $500 pricing (drop the 80GB as soon as the 60GB is sold out), then their average sales will increase, but not as high as the presumed spike this week/month will show.

[quote name='Chacrana']Yeah, that's my guess as well. Sony's probably realized that that price drop was vital to the success of the system right now and if they haven't realized it, they will once they see the sales hitting continually higher numbers. They can't just release an 80gb at the stupid $600 price again and expect it to work, even with that worthless piece of shit, Motorstorm.[/QUOTE]What are you talking about, MotorStorm is one of the best next generation games. Oh course it lacks a few gameplay modes, but the racing is still fantastic and has some of the best music in a racing game.

[quote name='botticus']I have a feeling that the price drop/awesome deals sold more consoles to the hardcore audience that accepted a $500 price point, which means a big uproar on CAG and the like... but not a huge increase in the general populace.

If they manage to keep the $500 pricing (drop the 80GB as soon as the 60GB is sold out), then their average sales will increase, but not as high as the presumed spike this week/month will show.[/quote]I was actually surprised to see how many people were jumping all over the $100 "drop." Every once in a while I had to ask myself if everyone knew what website they were on and that the thing was still $500. But, I suppose some of the bundle deals and the movies made it worth it for some folks. It's just still way out of my "might consider it" range for now.

But, hopefully for Sony's consumer base this will calm down the rush of games either going elsewhere completely or becoming available on every platform, not just Sony's.

I remember the time they announced the pricing, people were saying then that both SKU's should be $100 cheaper. So I'm not suprised it is being accepted as it is.

Also, I'll mention that these sales are only counting the first day or two, of the price drop (I believe). It will be much more interesting to see next week though. Also, the only ones who were 100% aware of the price drop were those who go online a lot and came across it. Many stores didn't advertise the drop until Sunday this week. Overall though, NPD July will be very interesting.
[quote name='NamPaehc']I remember the time they announced the pricing, people were saying then that both SKU's should be $100 cheaper. So I'm not suprised it is being accepted as it is.[/QUOTE]I was thinking the prices should have been the same as in Japan, 60GB for $500 and 20GB for $430 (the difference between the 20GB and 60GB is around $50). I think that pricing structure would have been more accepted and the sales between PS3 and 360 would have been pretty close.

[quote name='daroga']I was actually surprised to see how many people were jumping all over the $100 "drop." Every once in a while I had to ask myself if everyone knew what website they were on and that the thing was still $500. But, I suppose some of the bundle deals and the movies made it worth it for some folks. It's just still way out of my "might consider it" range for now.

But, hopefully for Sony's consumer base this will calm down the rush of games either going elsewhere completely or becoming available on every platform, not just Sony's.[/quote]People like me started to consider it because the deals could get it down to a point much nearer $400 minus the cost of a PS2... and you also have to consider the people on message boards are the only ones who care about the Emotion Engine removal.

[quote name='Thomas96']No one in their right mind would buy a 360... I'm kicking myself for buying one.. they're not reliable products... I'd hate to get deeply involved in a game I can't put down, and then my 360 dies. I'm definitely sticking w/ the PS3. I would hope that Sony keeps something on the market for 499... people are responding well to that price... people love value, but sometimes value at 599, might be a little too much value.[/quote]
This is the reason why i haven't got a X360 yet... i like the library, but not the console's reliability. i don't you can get it fixed for free, but why should i?

[quote name='Serpentor']This is the reason why i haven't got a X360 yet... i like the library, but not the console's reliability. i don't you can get it fixed for free, but why should i?[/QUOTE]

I bought my 360 before a lot of its problems were known. But what upsets me most is that people report that MS has poor customer services. Now that I have the xbox I'll be using it for exclusive games only. MS extended their warranty so I don't think you have to pay to get it fixed but its just the hassle and the wait for your new refurbished system that dreadful.

yeah it takes a few monthes to get it, if they do it for free it could take up to
3-4 months to get it back but most of the times when u pay u get it sooner then that, but i sold my 360 cuz i couldnt deal with the coustermer service
every time i called them ab my xbox live acount they would be like
qué yo me puse entiendo, n o really i could never under stand them they speak to low and they gave me the wrong number to call bungie ab halo2, instead it was activison number >.

[quote name='Crimson_Raven25']yeah it takes a few monthes to get it, if they do it for free it could take up to
3-4 months to get it back but most of the times when u pay u get it sooner then that, but i sold my 360 cuz i couldnt deal with the coustermer service
every time i called them ab my xbox live acount they would be like
qué yo me puse entiendo, n o really i could never under stand them they speak to low and they gave me the wrong number to call bungie ab halo2, instead it was activison number >.

but thats how long it toke to get my xbox back =[ i sent it in early november and got it back in the end of january =[....micrsoft hates me i guess >.

[quote name='Crimson_Raven25']but thats how long it toke to get my xbox back =[ i sent it in early november and got it back in the end of january =[....micrsoft hates me i guess >.

i dont really care if u dont belive me im just saying thats when i got my xbox back. besides all u e ver do is complain ab my post u really dont have anything to say ab the main topic then just dont post dude can choose weather or not to bilve me i dont care but if ur just gonn a bug me ab my postes all the time and dont post anything ab the main topic then go dont post i hate flaming wars and i know after i post this sum1 is gonna say "hey stop being a hipocrite ur provoking them" or sum wise ass is gonna say sumthing els.

back on topic though, yes it did take me that long to get my xbox back idk y maybe becuz it was holidays but it toke me tha t long to get it back

Ha, even with a price cut the Wii outsold the X360 and PS3 COMBINED! Come on guys this is Cheap Ass Gamer. Does anyone here really feel that a $500 console is a deal? The only reason I have a X360 right now is because I got the $100 rebate from Micro Center last November and paid $300 for my premium model. I'll pick up a PS3 when they reach $300. Remember the secret for being a Cheap Ass is patience.

[quote name='mogamer']Ha, even with a price cut the Wii outsold the X360 and PS3 COMBINED! Come on guys this is Cheap Ass Gamer. Does anyone here really feel that a $500 console is a deal? The only reason I have a X360 right now is because I got the $100 rebate from Micro Center last November and paid $300 for my premium model. I'll pick up a PS3 when they reach $300. Remember the secret for being a Cheap Ass is patience.[/quote]

true that but its hard for me to see a new system that is out and wait till the price drop cuz ill miss out on sume kick ass things, 300$ is gonaa be in a few years and its imposible for me to wait but to me 500$ and 5 blu-ray movies is a good deal cuz after that they'll go for 40-60 on ebay =] so lets say i sold all the blu-ray movies for 60 each and if they do sell for that much i can get 300$ from each of them so it like spending 200$ on ps3

[quote name='Crimson_Raven25']true that but its hard for me to see a new system that is out and wait till the price drop cuz ill miss out on sume kick ass things, 300$ is gonaa be in a few years and its imposible for me to wait but to me 500$ and 5 blu-ray movies is a good deal cuz after that they'll go for 40-60 on ebay =] so lets say i sold all the blu-ray movies for 60 each and if they do sell for that much i can get 300$ from each of them so it like spending 200$ on ps3[/quote]

I fully understand where you're coming from. I have nothing against people who are early adaptors of new formats. Early adaptors help bring prices down for people like me. And re-selling those movies does bring the price down quite a bit. But I'm thinking that a $300 PS3 is coming sooner than most people think. I'm thinking that the low price of the Wii will keep it's sales high. Sony and MS will feel pressured to do something or Nintendo will win this gen. Oh well, I know it's a gamble. But it's one I'm willing to take.

i disagree with the part that being a CAG have to have patience...

look, if you wait, everything will be cheaper, no doubt about that... A smart CAG is one who's able to purchase a good deal w/o the waiting. Everything else is just an ordinary CAG.

So waiting for two years for the console to drop $200, is that a smart move? Or you get it now with some coupons here and there for $100 cheaper, which is more deal?

[quote name='Crimson_Raven25']i dont really care if u dont belive me im just saying thats when i got my xbox back. besides all u e ver do is complain ab my post u really dont have anything to say ab the main topic then just dont post dude can choose weather or not to bilve me i dont care but if ur just gonn a bug me ab my postes all the time and dont post anything ab the main topic then go dont post i hate flaming wars and i know after i post this sum1 is gonna say "hey stop being a hipocrite ur provoking them" or sum wise ass is gonna say sumthing els.

back on topic though, yes it did take me that long to get my xbox back idk y maybe becuz it was holidays but it toke me tha t long to get it back[/quote]

Why does everyone who joins lately sound just like that banned pepsi kid? Are you guys all like in the same class at the same school teaching the same horrible english?

[quote name='Serpentor']i disagree with the part that being a CAG have to have patience...

look, if you wait, everything will be cheaper, no doubt about that... A smart CAG is one who's able to purchase a good deal w/o the waiting. Everything else is just an ordinary CAG.

So waiting for two years for the console to drop $200, is that a smart move? Or you get it now with some coupons here and there for $100 cheaper, which is more deal?[/quote]

It's true that there are limits to waiting, but I already have a "next-gen" console. And I picked it up cheap too! There are plenty of X360 games to keep me busy, so I can wait for a price drop on the PS3. Besides, there is no way to know if you're going to get $100 for those Blu-Ray discs. I would imagine the market will get flooded with these free movies pretty soon.

good news they outsold the 360, bad news that it still wasn't all that much...I would think they would want around 250k a month....with msft current fall schedule, I highly doubt that the ps3 will make up much ground in the marketshare.

[quote name='Vinny']
Is it true that the 80GB version doesn't have the EE chip? I really don't wanna bother with software emulation.[/QUOTE]
It's true.

[quote name='ryanbph']good news they outsold the 360, bad news that it still wasn't all that much...I would think they would want around 250k a month....with msft current fall schedule, I highly doubt that the ps3 will make up much ground in the marketshare.[/QUOTE]
It says the sales were for 1 week.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']Why does everyone who joins lately sound just like that banned pepsi kid? Are you guys all like in the same class at the same school teaching the same horrible english?[/QUOTE]

LOL I was going to say the same thing. His english hurts my head... good lord his writing is attrocious!!

bread's done
Back