PS3 Preorder at Tiger Direct $696.99... not exactly cheap ass, but

Just a note people on Amazon were discussing this and it may not be that great. It's been up since 5 pm central time and people who called were told they would only have 80 on day one, but if you ordered you will get it within 30 days from date of order, but a lot of people said they aren't that reliable.

At this point, I'm going to try and get as many PS3 pre-orders I can, hoping one comes through. I've got one at Tiger, and one at NCS. I'll try Wal-Mart and EB/GS. If more come through, hey, I can always return them to the store.

There is no way Tiger Direct of all companies will have enough PS3's to fill these orders. Just imagine all the other sites this has been posted on already. They may fill the last pre-order sometime in the spring. :D They do have a bad history, though I heard that recently they have been getting better.

Anywho, just dont get your hopes up. All I'm trying to say.

I'm not expecting to get one from tiger direct but it was worth a shot. We'll know within the next two weeks if we're getting one on launch from them and my money has just been sitting in my account since I'm saving up for a new car. I'll just cancel if I don't get one launch day and I'll try my luck waiting outside some store

its over. I dont know tiger sells alot of sony pc (high price items) maybe they cut a deal. They have gotten alot better with service. IF not shipped in a week of release I will also cancel my order.

[quote name='Shadow780']purchased, how's the reputation of this site?[/QUOTE]

That place is kinda shady. When you order with them, think about it first.

I went for it. No tax and next day shipping was $6.99. Total was about $704.xx. I have ordered PC parts from tiger direct before and have never had a problem. Hope this works!

well I'm getting mixed impressions, the important thing is do they charge right after ordering or when the item ships?

I struck out at GameStop and Toys R' Us, so I went for it. It beats 1200+ on flEbay... though I will go that route if forced. Put it on a card with online protection, you can always cancel if you find it elsewhere.

Good luck!

-Shrapnel

The site reputation is solid, no really questionable. Just wondering about the specifics of this deal and how many orders have gone through.

[quote name='Shadow780']well I'm getting mixed impressions, the important thing is do they charge right after ordering or when the item ships?[/QUOTE]

They already charged my card.

well, I'm in for one. If things go sour, all I gotta do is cancel/return. I love Tiger, they're a great site (though I have to say I like Newegg better)

[quote name='hero_icon_rolemodel']They already charged my card.[/quote]

you're using debit or credit?

I didn't see a reflection on my credit card yet....

I say it's worth a shot. It's only slightly more than you would pay for a 60GB PS3 here in NYC, when you factor in sales tax. If I would have been lucky enough to secure one at TRU or EB Games, it would have cost me: $600.00 + 8.65% sales tax= $651.90. So I'll gladly pay less than $20 additional dollars to get my hands on a PS3 without risking hypothermia from camping out in the winter. I'm not saying that I'm not skeptical, but the worse case scenario is that Tiger Direct are talking out of their asses, and won't ship these units at launch. In which case, it would be your right to cancel. I did it before with my Japanese PSP back in 2004. I remember that madness that occured when that thing was released in Japan, right before Christmas of 2004. I remember calling every single import game shop in NYC and LA, in addition to calling shops in Japan. For what it's worth, my wife's Japanese, so if a store like Yodobashi or BIC had it in stock, my mother-in-law would pick it up and mail it to me. In any case, I initially ordered it from some store in LA, who promised that they would ship it to me at the Japanese launch. As the December 14, 2004 launch was approaching, they started to backpedal. I simply canceled my order, and got my launch unit at a small Japanese store in NYC, that really just sells household appliances for Japanese people living in the US. If Tiger doesn't ship at launch, I'll just cancel.

its been on fatwallet since saturday, i think they did cheap shipping to convince people to buy it, its a TARP!

[quote name='ogmaster']The site reputation is solid, no really questionable. Just wondering about the specifics of this deal and how many orders have gone through.[/QUOTE]

Tiger Direct is ANYTHING from solid. Look at how many users have posted negative things about them in this thread...how often do you see that for ANY other site?

They are far and away the WORST company I have ever dealt with. Huge problems with broken goods, return policies, customer service...it is just the worst company I have ever used.

In other words, be wary if you expect an easy cancellation if you don't get yours at launch. Better yet, just do not buy from them - like others have said, they sold out of their allocation 10 times over at this point anyways.

I've spent thousands there and never really had a problem. I would put them on the same as buy.com they may not a amazon but never really was like they just ripped me off. Though I can not see how they still would be able fill all the orders but they have always come though for me.

[quote name='mrctdare']I've spent thousands there and never really had a problem. I would put them on the same as buy.com they may not a amazon but never really was like they just ripped me off. Though I can not see how they still would be able fill all the orders but they have always come though for me.[/QUOTE]

I guess a few of us (myself included) will just have to take a chance and find out. What if they they can and do ship these units at or around launch? The few of us that placed orders, will have a PS3, while others will be screwed because they didn't posess the intestinal fortitude necessary to place an order. I'm not saying that Tiger Direct will come through, as I have my doubts, but I do think it's worth a shot. Some people have had bad experiences with them. However, others have been very satisfied with them. I'm sure that canceling an order will be a bitch, but it can be done. For what it's worth, I had a similar situation with the PS2 launch back in 2000. I remember being on a forum just like this, when someone posted a link to Mediaplay.com showing that you could order a PS2 bundle, with 2 controllers, 3 games, etc. It was $600, but well worth it, as you could choose the games. In any case, many people were skeptical and certain that I would not receive the unit until January of 2001. So I took the plunge, and sure enough, the UPS man was knocking at my door a fews days later.

I called tiger and asked them if there would be a charge if the order was restock fee if the order was cancelled. The guy said that it was up in error and it should have been taken off there site already. He sounded upset they had not taken it down yet. owell

Well, I'm in. I bought a Sony MCE Computer with DVD Changer from them about 6 months ago. It arrived in perfect condition and works great. Oh, and it was about $400 cheaper than a refurb through eCost. ;)

Like another user posted, given the sales tax in my state... $703 isn't too bad. I did the overnight shipping, got my order confirmation, and would be quite impressed if I got a unit before Christmas. Now I just need a PS3 exclusive release title that is worth owning. Will Getaway be out before Christmas???

[quote name='Yankeez']its been on fatwallet since saturday, i think they did cheap shipping to convince people to buy it, its a TARP![/QUOTE]

Wow... if it's been on FW that long, no way in hell an order now would yield a launch PS3. It just isn't possible.. I want to bite on it, but it isn't worth the hassle. Knowing TigerDirect, I'm shocked that it isn't "only $599 after $200 mail in rebate"

[quote name='mrctdare']I called tiger and asked them if there would be a charge if the order was restock fee if the order was cancelled. The guy said that it was up in error and it should have been taken off there site already. He sounded upset they had not taken it down yet. owell[/quote]

Hey guys did you read my post I called them its a error

[quote name='CorruptionDee']I guess a few of us (myself included) will just have to take a chance and find out. What if they they can and do ship these units at or around launch? The few of us that placed orders, will have a PS3, while others will be screwed because they didn't posess the intestinal fortitude necessary to place an order. I'm not saying that Tiger Direct will come through, as I have my doubts, but I do think it's worth a shot. Some people have had bad experiences with them. However, others have been very satisfied with them. I'm sure that canceling an order will be a bitch, but it can be done. For what it's worth, I had a similar situation with the PS2 launch back in 2000. I remember being on a forum just like this, when someone posted a link to Mediaplay.com showing that you could order a PS2 bundle, with 2 controllers, 3 games, etc. It was $600, but well worth it, as you could choose the games. In any case, many people were skeptical and certain that I would not receive the unit until January of 2001. So I took the plunge, and sure enough, the UPS man was knocking at my door a fews days later.[/quote]

Well aren't you a cocky bastard...

Well I ordered, and they charged my account already and that was a few minutes ago. I've never had a problem with Tiger Direct.

r1s3n

[quote name='r1s3n']Well I ordered, and they charged my account already and that was a few minutes ago. I've never had a problem with Tiger Direct.

r1s3n[/quote]

You will have a problem. I heard they got a whopping total of 20 PS3's. Expect your order to be canceled tomorrow morning when they open up. I'm SOL as well.

Well the status of my order has changed, here is a the order details:

untitled.jpg

Not sure what to make of this, but figured I would share the info with everyone.

[quote name='Shrapnel']I struck out at GameStop and Toys R' Us, so I went for it. It beats 1200+ on flEbay... though I will go that route if forced. Put it on a card with online protection, you can always cancel if you find it elsewhere.

Good luck!

-Shrapnel[/QUOTE]

Why would you pay $1200+ for it? Why wouldnt you just wait a few months for them to become available, and for some decent games to come out.

Guess I cant complain though, its people like you who make people like me a little bit richer.:)

I've got the same order status also now. Notice though if you click on item # you get a generic page. Last night it went to the PS3. Also when you click the link in this thread it goes to COD3 for PS3. Last night it went to a page that had COD3 and the PS3 preorder on it.

[quote name='mikkymuffins']Well the status of my order has changed, here is a the order details:

untitled.jpg

Not sure what to make of this, but figured I would share the info with everyone.[/quote]

[quote name='Shadow780']purchased, how's the reputation of this site?[/QUOTE]

I do business with their commercial entity, Global Computer, on a weekly basis, and personally from Tiger Direct and I've never had any problems. It seems that most of the bad press they get has to do with rebates (as in, not getting them), but I've never had a problem there either, so long as I get my forms in on time (duh).

[quote name='Jewelz23']tiger direct is pretty solid.[/quote]
yeah I've never had any problems whatsoever ordering computer parts from them. They're quite legit, and I'm sure they'd give you your money back if they fucked you order up.

[quote name='mrctdare']Hey guys did you read my post I called them its a error[/QUOTE]

Oh, I read your post. But there are people in this world that would say it's an error just to influence people not to order while they call all their friends. There are others that believe one TigerDirect employee may not know what the heck he's talking about. And there is an even larger group that don't give a rat's rear, want a PS3, and will take a chance if that means there is a 5% probability of getting one.

Frankly, I find the idea of buying video game consoles and selling them for a profit disgusting. But unfortunately it's something people do and one man like me will never be able to change. What I can do is buy ONE system, go into debt because of it, and provide it a good home. So that's my part if I can manage it, and if TigerDirect gives me even a SMALL chance... so be it.

BTW, if you turn out to be right... my apologies. For now, I'm living the dream.

[quote name='musha666']Why would you pay $1200+ for it? Why wouldnt you just wait a few months for them to become available, and for some decent games to come out.

Guess I cant complain though, its people like you who make people like me a little bit richer.:)[/QUOTE]

Wow. See my post above. SO why you are NOT a proper gamer. Even if you ARE a cheapass. :(

Excellent point, merkman. Last year, both of my 360 pre-sales fell through (I always secure multiple presales just in case...), and I was told there's "no way in hell" I'd get a 360 before March. Sure enough, I got 2 by Christmas. One from standing in line outside the Burbank, IL Best Buy. The other from Samsclub.com. I sold that one to my admin at-cost. Her husband had a happy holiday. :)

[quote name='musha666']Why would you pay $1200+ for it? Why wouldnt you just wait a few months for them to become available, and for some decent games to come out.

Guess I cant complain though, its people like you who make people like me a little bit richer.:)[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying I want to go to eBay, but I want a PS3 at release and can afford it if need be. Remember, you can't take the $ with you... Plus my fiancee is the best in the world at supporting me in these ventures! :) That right there is true richness, finding someone that understands and supports those activities that we enjoy.

-Shrapnel

i just got this email from tiger:

Dear NATHAN,

We appreciate your interest in purchasing the Sony Playstation 3 from TigerDirect.com. As you probably know, this is a highly allocated item that is difficult to find.

Due to the overwhelming demand for the Sony Playstation 3, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to fulfill your order. As such, your credit card was not charged and we cancelled your account.
We do have a task force that is striving to get more Sony Playstation 3's. You have been added to our Playstation 3 waiting list. As we acquire Playstations, we will notify those on our waiting list 1st prior to making the deal available to the public.
Furthermore, to show our appreciation for your business, we would like to offer you a $10 off any order over $100 placed on the TigerDirect.com website. Buy anything from a sexy big screen LCD to our top-selling PSP bundle. I'll give you 10 bucks off, but only for a limited time until Sunday, November 5th.

LINK REMOVED

NOTE: Do not forward or share this link. Once used, it cannot be used again. This is a private link intended for you only. Also, if you don't want to take me up on this offer, I would really like to know why, especially if you can provide constructive feedback to help me make TigerDirect.com even better. Please LINK REMOVED.

Regards,

Carl Fiorentino
President
TigerDirect.com

PS.: Remember, don't forward this link to anyone. Once the special offer is used it can't be used again. If you forward it to a friend and they use the offer, you'll no longer be able to take advantage of the $10 discount. This offer is valid online only and cannot be redeemed over the phone.

LINK REMOVED
====================================================================
If you wish to UNSUBSCRIBE, send a blank email to:
[email protected]
====================================================================

Copyright (c) TigerDirect Inc.2006
7795 West Flagler Street Miami, FL 33144

bread's done
Back