PS3 price drop now in CANADA

[quote name='dave17']so what is the incentive to buy a ps3 if you have a 360? I'm not trying to bash the ps3, this is an actual question.[/QUOTE]

Unless you want Blu-ray there is no incentive. Most games are multiplatform nowadays. While the PS3 exclusives are pretty good there still isn't enough out there for the casual gamer to warrant a second system. Chances are if you're a hardcore gamer you probably already have both now anyways.

Plus if you're on Live you'll hate how detached and rough the PSN network is for gaming. SOCOM and Warhawk have lousy interfaces, it makes me think of PC gaming circa 10 years ago. And nevermind the Konami MGS Online fiasco.

That being said, if you don't own a 360 and are finally deciding to buy into current gen consoles there's pretty much no reason not to pick a PS3 unless you need to have Halo 3, Mass Effect or a couple other 360 exlusives.

[quote name='halcyon1234']Has anyone seen the price drop at RCSS or Loblaw(s)? I know someone with a bunch of PC points waiting to be used. =)[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting for RCSS + no tax day. The RCSS employee discount cards work on electronics now. So it'd be $270 total for me :D I just need to decide if I want a Slim...

Is there any indication of when the next no tax day at RCSS might be? The bluray laser in my 80GB system went the other day so I'm in the market for a new one.

its dropped at wal-mart as well or at least on their site haven't been instore to check yet http://www.walmart.ca/search/main?cmd=search

[quote name='Princess Zelda']RCSS price drop hasn't happened yet but I'll tell you how to do it. My husband and I both decide we didn't like the look of the slim we wanted to get a second PS3, one for the projector and one for the TV. Also I still needed a second controller which buying a second unit isn't a bad way to do it. We also have a good amount of PC points we wanted to use for this. So he went to RCSS they wouldn't price match so he bought $350 in Future Shop Gift Cards with the PC points there, then went to FS bought the system with the free game Motorstom Pacific Rift. I already have the game so he'll sell it to a friend at work or I'll trade it in to EB for $20.[/QUOTE]

would they not price match because you didn't have a print flyer or did they just straight up refuse to do it ?

Looks like once I return Wolfenstein I'll have enough credit for a 120 GB slim at EB. Now I'm kicking myself for missing that $30 Best Buy deal on Killzone 2.

is it worth selling my 20 GB for a slim? or should i wait it out for potential hardware problems?

it was one of the first ps3s in canada :D

[quote name='kathos']EB is taking preorders for the Slim, at $299, I forgot to check release date though :(.[/QUOTE]

It's supposed to be September 1st.

[quote name='Sillyfire']is it worth selling my 20 GB for a slim? or should i wait it out for potential hardware problems?

it was one of the first ps3s in canada :D[/QUOTE]
Now why would you sell that? It has ps2 compatibility!

[quote name='Gerwich']Now why would you sell that? It has ps2 compatibility![/QUOTE]

i already have a phat ps2 sitting in my room.

[quote name='Afrodiziak']Hey I'm cheap. The less money I have to pay the better.[/QUOTE]
High five!

Less money spent on system = more money spent on games/ whatever the hell you want.

I must say, Sony is pretty smart to release a PS3 slim and a price drop to attract more sales. Not only is it going to get new people to buy a PS3, but its making idiots like me want to buy a PS3 when I already HAVE ONE!

I must say though, having all 3 current consoles... I started off with the Wii. Played it for a bit, but then 5 monthes later picked up a PS3 and never played my Wii again. For a year and a half I wanted a 360, mainly for Burnout Revenge and Fable II. So I bought the 360. Nice little gaming console. I was able to pick up a back-catalog of exclusives for cheap. However, I traded MOST of them back. I was on a 360 kick for about 2 monthes, before realizing how much I missed playing my PS3. I slowly eased back to the PS3 which is my favorite console of the 3. I will use my 360 for exclusive titles, but all mutiplatform games will be played on my PS3.

One thing I've never had on the PS3 online community is being kicked out of a lobby because the host thought my name was "gay", and its happened on xbox live TWICE.

[quote name='seed84']
would they not price match because you didn't have a print flyer or did they just straight up refuse to do it ?[/QUOTE]
They just said they do not price match for electronics. He had a print out from the FS website showing the item and price. The reason I wanted to get it there was they had had a coupon spend $200 get a $25 gift card. It's over now that was last weeks flyer.

Hey guys, wanted your thoughts on something; I currently have a 60GB PS3, nothing wrong with it, except the fact that it gets decently warm when I play it for long periods of time; I'm thinking about trading it in to EB and getting a pre-order for a PS3 slim, but the main issue for me is the backward compatibility. If you could get a PS3 Slim for 60GB trade-in + $50 + tax, would you do it, or hold onto the 2-year-old PS3?

that's kind of a downgrade if you ask me game_fanatic.

i'd stick with the 60GB. it's probably their best model.

[quote name='Sillyfire']that's kind of a downgrade if you ask me game_fanatic.

i'd stick with the 60GB. it's probably their best model.[/QUOTE]

This. There's a reason the PS3 was $600USD at release: the technology was probably way ahead of its time and Sony was still selling at a loss. Future iterations (and the Slim) have basically resulted in Sony cutting out features: that's not to say they're using inferior parts, just that the technology has become cheaper over time.

I would suggest keeping your console well-ventilated and try to not play for so many hours at a time. ;)

[quote name='Sillyfire']that's kind of a downgrade if you ask me game_fanatic.

i'd stick with the 60GB. it's probably their best model.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I would keep the 60GB model with backwards compatibility.

But if you really want a Slim, don't pay anything extra for the trade. Start posting online that you want to trade your model w/backwards compatibility for a PS3 Slim straight up. I bet you'll find people willing to take that trade, saving you some $$.

I still have my 60GB and it works perfectly except for a loud fan. Anyone have that problem?

I also have the 80 and it's as quiet as a mouse, so I'm wondering if that's just a 60GB problem. Granted, I've only had my 80 for a little over a month...

[quote name='ejamer']Agreed. I would keep the 60GB model with backwards compatibility.

But if you really want a Slim, don't pay anything extra for the trade. Start posting online that you want to trade your model w/backwards compatibility for a PS3 Slim straight up. I bet you'll find people willing to take that trade, saving you some $$.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's what I was thinking; I could probably sell my 60GB for close to the price of a Slim, and I got a Product Service Plan with the PS3 (girlfriend worked at BB at the time, so it was like $50 for 3 years) so I think I have one more year left on that.

Anywho, thanks for the help guys, I'll stick with the 60GB unless a redonkulously good deal shows up on the Slim in the future.

[quote name='game_fanatic']Hey guys, wanted your thoughts on something; I currently have a 60GB PS3, nothing wrong with it, except the fact that it gets decently warm when I play it for long periods of time; I'm thinking about trading it in to EB and getting a pre-order for a PS3 slim, but the main issue for me is the backward compatibility. If you could get a PS3 Slim for 60GB trade-in + $50 + tax, would you do it, or hold onto the 2-year-old PS3?[/QUOTE]

Don't give it away to EB, they'd never give you the value of it back. If you really need to sell it, Craigslist or Kijiji are the way to go. Not that you should ever sell a 60gb system. I'd never sell mine over my second 80gb non-BC model. :hot:

[quote name='spzero']I still have my 60GB and it works perfectly except for a loud fan. Anyone have that problem?[/QUOTE]

Speak up dude, my PS3 is on ;)
Yeah that's common. Mine has gotten louder, and I even tried a can of compressed air to clean it out in hopes it would get quieter, but no change at all.
My 80gb is way quieter and cooler, it just has better hardware inside.

Not to mention that your 60GB plays SACD, which you might not care about, but there are people who do--and will pay more $$$ for that feature. And you have memory card ports too.

Trading a 60GB away for a slim is just stealing from yourself. Stay an early adopter. :)

Just pre-ordered a PS3 Slim at EB and paid it fully off with EB credit. The guy there told me that they might be hard to come by for the first few months as they've been getting calls non-stop about it.

[quote name='game_fanatic']Yeah that's what I was thinking; I could probably sell my 60GB for close to the price of a Slim, and I got a Product Service Plan with the PS3 (girlfriend worked at BB at the time, so it was like $50 for 3 years) so I think I have one more year left on that.

Anywho, thanks for the help guys, I'll stick with the 60GB unless a redonkulously good deal shows up on the Slim in the future.[/QUOTE]

I remember having problems convincing people around my area that the 60gb that it was worth the price i was selling. of course, for some reason, a lot of ppl ive noticed over the last couple of months have been selling their 60gbs for far less than they should be & the funny part is sometimes they dont even sell.

It may hold the superior value, but dont get your hopes of selling it for insane amounts since most ppl are too dumb to understand the difference (& the fact that ppl dont get that you can just upgrade the friggin hard drive if you want)

On that note, good job on keeping 60gb since it is the best system to have. Ive never had any problems w/the 60gb i had bought second-hand & probably the most heavily used system i own

haha yeah good call telepathy, I've decided on keeping the 60GB; what I'm going to try and do is get a couple 120mm computer case fans and rig them up to my TV stand so I can blow the hot air out of the unit and into open space. I just need to figure it all out hehe.

Oh she heats up pretty good in my house; and it would also be enclosed in a TV stand, so the ventilation won't be great to begin with. I think it'd be sick to get a couple fans with blue LED lighting to match the PS3 LED hehe. God I'm a nerd.

bread's done
Back