PS3 Prices

Dave4086

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey guys, long time browser, new member here :D

Anyway, I am in the market for a PS3 (finally) and was wondering when, and where I should try to buy it. I've been looking around the internet a lot, and it looks like I've missed most of the 'great' deals. My question is, should I just keep waiting until something good pops up around Christmas, or are there any great deals now that I missed?

Note: I do not live in Canada so please do not suggest the Canadian Dell bundle like everyone else has :cool:

Thanks

I doubt with less than a month to go there are going to be anymore "great" deals before Christmas. If anything there likely won't be any great deals until either they bundle something new (around the next SKU, MGS4, or next Xmas), or drop the price in general.

Possibly, but unlikely. Nothing will ever match the 60GB clearance sales some places had (all the extra items you got with purchasing one).

Most of the best deals were all around Black Friday...the WalMart deal with 10 Free Blu-Rays in-store plus 5-more free via rebate seemed to be the best.

I got mine the week of the initial price-drop this past summer and didn't regret getting it (even though I still only own 2 games).

If you're not in a rush, as might as well wait until a deal comes along...I have no idea when that might be, though.

Just saw the newest deal from walmart today, free remote and exclusive title for $399 (40GB PS3)

I think I might pull the trigger on this.... even though I pay shipping and tax.

[quote name='Dave4086']Just saw the newest deal from walmart today, free remote and exclusive title for $399 (40GB PS3)

I think I might pull the trigger on this.... even though I pay shipping and tax.[/quote]

I'm getting this same deal except I went for the Motorstorm pack. God only knows if walmart will ever finish processing the order though. :bomb:

[quote name='strdr4']Do the sony credit card offer. $100 off if you're approved and an extra controller.[/quote]
Can I use it with any staore? Like walmart? I been wondering that but didn't know where to ask

[quote name='Van']I'm getting this same deal except I went for the Motorstorm pack. God only knows if walmart will ever finish processing the order though. :bomb:[/quote]

I was going to get it for my brother, but since I live in Alaska I think I'll just cancel that order and get a 360 for him instead, since he already has the Halo legendary from amazon.

... WTF? the sony store ran out of PS3s... its like nintendo world telling you they don't have copies of Super Mario Galaxy, I mean the demand shouldn't be that high

think about it, $100 off, cancel a credit card and you could have a larger backwards compatible (though less so) PS3 for $400, or a PS3 for $300

I guarantee they got bombarded with orders, and probably did two things, first actually ran out (the website has a different stock obviously than the actual B&M Sony Style stores) it is feasible to get a high demand and be inbetween shipments, and secondly are holding off on replenshing stock online because businesses aren't stupid, if it's costing Sony to much money to eat the free $100 credit offer because of what is selling (the PS3's) they will hold off from replenshing stock like crazy

I'd guess it's a bit of both. They want to eat as little as possible, but won't stop from re-stocking PS3's, and that the demand to purchase PS3's from Sony Style due to the well known offer, is sky high, especially around the holiday season (and that the PS3 has a bunch of great games out right now)

Poopie. I finally want a PS3, but I'm still a cheapass! I guess I'll have to wait a while. There are only like four games I want to play anyway, and they're all frigging $60, so I don't know what my rush is. :S

[quote name='Dave4086']Just saw the newest deal from walmart today, free remote and exclusive title for $399 (40GB PS3)

I think I might pull the trigger on this.... even though I pay shipping and tax.[/QUOTE]

That is probably going to be the best deal since you missed out on the BF deals.

[quote name='SuppaMan']think about it, $100 off, cancel a credit card and you could have a larger backwards compatible (though less so) PS3 for $400, or a PS3 for $300

I guarantee they got bombarded with orders, and probably did two things, first actually ran out (the website has a different stock obviously than the actual B&M Sony Style stores) it is feasible to get a high demand and be inbetween shipments, and secondly are holding off on replenshing stock online because businesses aren't stupid, if it's costing Sony to much money to eat the free $100 credit offer because of what is selling (the PS3's) they will hold off from replenshing stock like crazy

I'd guess it's a bit of both. They want to eat as little as possible, but won't stop from re-stocking PS3's, and that the demand to purchase PS3's from Sony Style due to the well known offer, is sky high, especially around the holiday season (and that the PS3 has a bunch of great games out right now)[/quote]

This will hurt your credit though..

Just wait.. next week or two weeks a deal will come.. again.
Sucks you missed out on the walmart deal though.. that was a great one.

But if you don't really care about Blu-Ray movies, the Wal-mart deal wasn't so sweet... Instead of ten free movies (or five? whatever it was) plus the normal five, if it had been two or three games... That woulda been sweet. But they need to sell the software. The movies are a little different story. Sigh.

[quote name='JIGSAWjr']I to am looking for a deal but I dont want Blu Ray movies. I just want a discounted PS3 or a GOOD free game.[/quote]
Ditto. Better yet, a couple free games.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Ditto. Better yet, a couple free games.[/quote]
Chances are they know people who are buying a PS3 will probably buy games for sure but movies is not so sure, so they lure peiople in with freebies with stuff gamers don't usually buy because they will buy a game anyway. Why give a free game when someone will buy it, the movies are only bait.

[quote name='darkclawsofchaos']Chances are they know people who are buying a PS3 will probably buy games for sure but movies is not so sure, so they lure peiople in with freebies with stuff gamers don't usually buy because they will buy a game anyway. Why give a free game when someone will buy it, the movies are only bait.[/quote]

Good point, good point.

If I actually cared about Blu-Ray movies, the PS3 would be a steal. But I don't. I can't believe they charge $29.99 for the movies. Wow. That's almost more of a travesty than $59.99 for the games.

I really want to wait it out on the system itself til I can get it cheaper, but they had to go and ditch backwards compatibility which has me really nervous about buying one or watiting it out. I'd gladly buy one around MGS4 time if they bundled the game with it or something, but if it doesn't have backward compatibility, whats the point? I have a sweet collection of ps2 games and the 60 gb might be my last chance to get that. Darn Sony...

[quote name='chewster777']I really want to wait it out on the system itself til I can get it cheaper, but they had to go and ditch backwards compatibility which has me really nervous about buying one or watiting it out.[/quote]

I feel the same way. Hopefully they'll always have a model with backward compatibility available.

Otherwise, we'll just have to keep out PS2s, I guess.

Blah. Backward compatibility, according to them, has been one of the cornerstones of the Playstation brand. I think it was a bad move, removing it. Could it really have reduced cost so much? Lowering the hard drive size was stupid, too; it doesn't cost them any less to ship with a smaller hard drive.

They're making some strange decisions. It was a similar (ish...) situation when the PS2 first launched, though; the software wasn't very compelling for the first two years or so.

Yes it costs them less to use a smaller HDD. And yes it saves money to remove the PS2 chips (they really won't go down in cost much more than they already are).

And sorry to say, as I like backwards compatibility to, but it really doesn't matter to the majority of people who buy a system. It's like .01% of the decision for 50+% of people.

[quote name='SuppaMan']And sorry to say, as I like backwards compatibility to, but it really doesn't matter to the majority of people who buy a system. It's like .01% of the decision for 50+% of people.[/quote]

What are people buying a PS3 for, then, Lair and Blu-Ray movies? :S Ports of Xbox 360 games that run at half the frame rate?

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']What are people buying a PS3 for, then, Lair and Blu-Ray movies? :S Ports of Xbox 360 games that run at half the frame rate?[/QUOTE]

Well, I bought mine for Ratchet & Clank Future, Uncharted, Folklore, Eye of Judgment, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword - you know, new games that are fun, look great on my 52" HD television, and aren't FPS. I personally would never buy a blu-ray movie, but I've gotten several through netflix and you can tell the difference between them and DVDs.

JD you are making yourself look like a retard, if you dont want to look like that then i suggest you just stop talking

ex: Sony's end of the first year/beginning of the second year on the PS2 was something MS or other gaming companies could only dream of: GTA 3, MGS2:SoL, FFX.......that right there alone many wish they could've had exclusive on their system. That's not couting the countless other good games the sytem had within its first two years. So yeah, lack of compelling software for the first two years or so my ass. There are so many other flaws with your "points" that it'd be better for you to not talk and save everyone a headache and others from having to point out all the flaws in what you say.

[quote name='coolz481']Well, I bought mine for Ratchet & Clank Future, Uncharted, Folklore, Eye of Judgment, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword - you know, new games that are fun, look great on my 52" HD television, and aren't FPS. I personally would never buy a blu-ray movie, but I've gotten several through netflix and you can tell the difference between them and DVDs.[/quote]

Yeah, you mention a few games that I'd like to play. Specifically, I'm happy you mentioned Folklore, as it seems to get overlooked more often than not. There are actually a few I'm interested in, in addition to those you mention. Warhawk looks kind of neat, even though it's kind of FPSish (actually it's a third-person shooter of sorts I guess).

I'm still hoping the PS3 becomes, like the PS2 did, the system where most of the Japanese creativity ends up. We've got the Wii for the "casual" stuff and the mainstays, the Xbox 360 for American/European stuff and PC games, and I hope the PS3 will fill the other niche.

Suppa--I don't know how I'm making myself look like a "retard". My point was that at this point, there are not a lot of compelling reasons to purchase a PS3, and taking out the backward compatibility also took out one of those compelling reasons. Perhaps you just feel threatened because you own a PS3 and I seem to be indicating that they're not worthy of purchase. Rest assured, you needn't justify your purchase to me. I'm selfish and only care about my own purchases, so cheers.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Good point, good point.

If I actually cared about Blu-Ray movies, the PS3 would be a steal. But I don't. I can't believe they charge $29.99 for the movies. Wow. That's almost more of a travesty than $59.99 for the games.[/quote]

Speaking from someone who has never seen a blu ray movie, heard the quality, or see what the picture looks like..

Sigh.. haters for no reason.. wasnt the format bashing supposed to stop?

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Speaking from someone who has never seen a blu ray movie, heard the quality, or see what the picture looks like..

Sigh.. haters for no reason.. wasnt the format bashing supposed to stop?[/quote]

Hey, I'm not hating! I want a PS3, remember? That's why I'm here! I want Sony to succeed. I just think they've made some odd decisions.

I like the Blu-Ray format for games for sure, and I'd probably like it for movies as well if I could get them cheap.

bread's done
Back