PS3 restoring problem! Please help me :(.

EarthKing

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I recently bought a 1tb HDD for my PS3 from newegg, and was able to back up my game data onto an external HDD...But for some reason I can't restore my data...It gives me a 800283F0 error for the last 2 days...The PS3 does recognize the 1tb hdd but can't seem to restore my data from my 500gb. This is my second time upgrading my HDD...I went from a launch 60gb to a 500gb with no problems, but now I'm expereincing this. What do I do to fix this?

Can somebody help me out? Please ;(...I'm completely lost.

What are the specs of the HDD you're having problems with?

That 800283F0 code looks awfully familiar to me as I ran into this same issue when upgrading my HDD. The built-in backup and restore utility on the PS3 is known to be rife with problems, although the consensus seems to be that it's caused more by the actual game data itself being corrupted, and not an issue with the utility program. The more data you are trying to back up and restore, the greater the chance you'll receive an error -- unless you can narrow down exactly which game data files are to blame.

Something to try: put your old HDD back into your PS3 (assuming you haven't deleted anything or formatted it); it should start up like normal. Delete all non-essential game data and patches. It's not necessary, but I highly recommend backing up your individual game save files onto a smaller USB thumbdrive (for those that aren't copy-protected). Then run the full backup utility again. If that means you'll be deleting everything, then it's kind of a moot point to use the restore function.

Anything you've downloaded under your PSN ID can be re-downloaded through the PSN Store Download History.

FWIW, I've read that 2.5" HDDs larger than 640gb tend to have more problems with error codes and system freezes compared to those at 640gb or less. I remember seeing a compatibility list published by Sony a few years ago, but they must have scrapped it because the official Support site now states that they "[do] not have any information regarding specific compatibility or recommendations for hard disk drives for the PS3 system. Proper operation is not guaranteed for all models."

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Make sure you delete all installs before doing the back-up, as that was the main issue I had with my HDD upgrade.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Not the games. The installs in the Game Data Utility folder.[/QUOTE]
This. I actually had too many problems trying to do a restore so I backed up all my saves to the PSN+ Cloud and just started over. I did have better success removing all the game installs than trying to move the whole thing over, it worked for a few days but the HDD I had was corrupting out of the box so I ended up warrantying that and just saving my saves to the cloud. Took too much time to restore after doing it like 5-6 times only to get errors for me to care.

[quote name='htz']Does the PS3 system firmware even support a 1TB hard drive?[/QUOTE]

My PS3 recognizes it and it's at the latest firmware.

bread's done
Back