PS3 Router

beane316

CAGiversary!
Feedback
372 (100%)
I have an old D-Link 549 router I've been using for years now. In the apartment I'm in now (which isn't huge by any means), I can only get the router to work in two rooms (the ones side by side), but not across the entire apartment. With that being said, I've searched on these forums and didn't really find what I was looking for...so, I've just decided to post and see what people think about a few routers I've been researching.

I need one that has a lot of range to it and is fast, for when I play Wii, DS, or PS3 online, and also so my wife can do her massive amount of uploading/downloading without much lag...but I'm not for sure how to tell what a good range is for a router...anyway, here are the ones I had in mind:

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-WRT54G-...KDVI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296769118&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DIR-65...FB7S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296769176&sr=8-1 (most interested)

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Wirel...RJY4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1296769231&sr=8-2

Any help or other suggestions would be awesome...I'd like to find one around a hundred dollars or less, ideally. Thanks guys!

It will be better for you to buy the router local so you can return it. Because it might not even be the router that is the problem. It could be how your apartment was built, other Wifi signals, other electronic devices, and etc.

[quote name='laaj']It will be better for you to buy the router local so you can return it. Because it might not even be the router that is the problem. It could be how your apartment was built, other Wifi signals, other electronic devices, and etc.[/QUOTE]

We're going to pick ours up at Best Buy when we find one. The router's signal has become increasingly awful (to the point I have to reset it just to get on the PS3 some times) and it's just time for a new one. The apartment is built odd, but honestly, it's the router because when you're in the same room with the router, it does just fine. When it's in the living room (right beside the computer room), it also does fine, but down the hall in the bedroom, reception is damn near impossible.

Unless it matches or beats Amazons or Neweggs price, why purchase it locally? The WRT54G, while a good router, is quite old and may not give you better range than what you already have. I know I had to run two of them in my house (actually, a different brand router as my second) for coverage.

I would highly recommend, especially since you are in an apartment, to wire your PS3. Wired connection >>>> wireless....and I mean superior and guaranteed. Also, all of your wireless speeds will be drug down by the "lowest common denominator" - i.e. - the lowest speed connection. If you have G, but something is connecting at B, you are stuck at B speeds. That's is one of the numerous reasons why I state to wire it.

Go to Newegg, look at the reviews since they will probably have more reviews than Amazon (probably) and pick what you like. I know the new Cisco branded Linksys routers are a breeze to setup...heck, my wife could do it. :)

bread's done
Back