Ps3 scare tatics

jcp4322

CAGiversary!
So I picked up a PS3 tonight and as the girl was ringing me out, she asked me about the extended warranty. I was going to buy it anyways, but she told me that the PS3's have had a 48% failure rate. I know Sony has messed up alot with this system, but I don't think they would release it if half of them fail.

[quote name='jcp4322']So I picked up a PS3 tonight and as the girl was ringing me out, she asked me about the extended warranty. I was going to buy it anyways, but she told me that the PS3's have had a 48% failure rate. I know Sony has messed up alot with this system, but I don't think they would release it if half of them fail.[/quote]

They do that, really annoying. Hate it when they straight up LIE to people. I stopped going to a local Gamestop because they ALWAYS are trying to pull fast ones on customers.

It's possible she heard that number from someone else in the store, and has no idea that the real failure rate is much lower. Not everyone who works at a store has in depth knowledge of all the products they sell.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']she lied to you.[/QUOTE]
She can't help it - she knows if she doesn't push enough of those things, she's going to be buttering the stripper pole at Club Chubby next week.

[quote name='jcp4322']So I picked up a PS3 tonight and as the girl was ringing me out, she asked me about the extended warranty. I was going to buy it anyways, but she told me that the PS3's have had a 48% failure rate. I know Sony has messed up alot with this system, but I don't think they would release it if half of them fail.[/QUOTE]

In her defense... she probably was thinking about the Xbox 360.

wow what a biatch.

They never make you say stuff like that, if it was at Best Buy they ussually just say, "Hey sell alot of these warranties" at EBGames they dont really care that much.

But it depends on the person.

I'd have told her she just had a 100% failure rate at selling me a system and bought it somewhere else.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']wow what a biatch.

They never make you say stuff like that, if it was at Best Buy they ussually just say, "Hey sell alot of these warranties" at EBGames they dont really care that much.

But it depends on the person.[/QUOTE]

You got that right about EB World. When I picked up my launch PS3, I was shooting the #### with the employee. Was talking about how I thought Resistence looked like a generic UT game (And I hate UT. Like shooters with some tactics. And I now realize Resistence has depth, so don't flame), and he asked if I had Gears of War? Told him I was holding out for the 360 update before buying (because of how defective they were). He tried convincing me they weren't defective and I should just jump in. Didn't try selling me a PS3 extended warranty (or if he did, brought it up and quickly dropped it). And he didn't try convincing me to buy a 360 AND extended warranty. Just tried convincing me they weren't defective and I should jump in. Never brought up a warranty once.

It's not really "PS3" scare tactics, it's "retail" scare tactics. Hell there's some asses at the store I work at that will make the same claim to try and sell you an extended warranty on a clock radio of all things...

Ext Warranty is good for certain products, and sometimes, it's good if you get a deal where they'll give you a new product off the shelve, and then the company deals w/ the manufacturer. But you have to read the warranty deal, or have someone explain it to you. I was dealing with Circuit City about a mp3 player that my wife bought... basically instead of giving you a gift card for the items purchase price rather than giving you a new product... only problem with that, is if you buy the product on sale then you're getting shafted, because now the mp3 player is back up to reg. price, and circuit city is getting off with paying you less than what the player is really worth, and once they redeem the players regular warranty, then they're going to get another player to sell at full price.

The employee gets a cut if he/she sells the extended warrenty right?

i remember the lady pushed me hard for buying extended warrenty on glasses, $10 for a $50 glasses? Errr, no thanks, but she insisted (that's how i know she's getting a cut).

I remember the CC security guard saying the same thing (w/o the statistics though). Now, why the hell the secuirty guard telling me "oh boy, you should have brought the extended warrenty on the PS3." That don't make sense, i don't think he will get a cut....

I think since PS2 had so many problems people automatically assume the ps3 will too. However, I think Sony got it right this time with the ps3.

I never understood the logic of an employee saying how the product that they're about to sell you is a piece of crap and breaks all the time. But in the case of the PS3, I don't think I've read even a single account of a broken machine, and I read the gaming sites daily. I'm sure they're out there, but they're nowhere near the failure rate of the 360.

bread's done
Back