PS3 SOCOM Bluetooth Headset Bundle $20.57 at Fry's (in-store pickup only)

StrikerObi

CAG Veteran
UPDATE: Now listed at $20.57. In-store pickup only. Be forewarned though, it might not have a headset. YMMV.

[quote name='MulderWasTaken']Well... I was able to reserve a copy with store pick up. But when I get there they bring an open copy without the headset, and that's why is so cheap. Left with nothing.[/QUOTE]

Original Post
Fry's has the SOCOM bundle with the official PS3 headset listed at $29.39 at their website. The price is actually 35¢ cheaper than the standalone version.

http://www.frys.com/product/5672881

I live in Florida and the Ground shipping was to my zip code $6.32. Total price $35.71. If you live near a Fry's store you can get in-store pickup for FREE. Sadly there are no Fry's in Florida :(

Even with the shipping charge, this is the cheapest I've found this item or the Endwar bundle anywhere, including hunting for new copies on eBay.

Amazon's current trade-in value on the game itself is $8, so if you're going to trade the game in and keep the headset (like I am), the net price is $27.71.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very tempting as I have a Fry's nearby. It's too bad I missed out on the Target Clearance though... the only thing stopping me from picking this up is that I knew that Target once had it for 14.98...

Does anyone here have any comments on the quality of the headset? I've been looking to get a new one. (My old one just stopped holding a charge. I had gotten it in the Warkawk bundle.) I would be willing to pay up to $40 for a solid headset, so if someone knows of a better one for the price, any help is appreciated :)

[quote name='ToadStoolPorridge']Does anyone here have any comments on the quality of the headset? I've been looking to get a new one. (My old one just stopped holding a charge. I had gotten it in the Warkawk bundle.) I would be willing to pay up to $40 for a solid headset, so if someone knows of a better one for the price, any help is appreciated :)[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of getting a non-official headset. Amazon has some nice Plantronics ones for as little as $20. I've heard great things about the official one though. A couple of my friends have it and love it. It supports a special high-quality mode for the PS3 that apparently sounds really good. Plus you can still use it in normal-quality mode with pretty much any other bluetooth device.

The HQ mode also lets you use the headset for voice command driven games, and for games that support it (like SOCOM) it will accurately animate your character's mouth when you talk. Kind of pointless but really cool.

[quote name='StrikerObi']I was thinking of getting a non-official headset. Amazon has some nice Plantronics ones for as little as $20. I've heard great things about the official one though. A couple of my friends have it and love it. It supports a special high-quality mode for the PS3 that apparently sounds really good. Plus you can still use it in normal-quality mode with pretty much any other bluetooth device.

The HQ mode also lets you use the headset for voice command driven games, and for games that support it (like SOCOM) it will accurately animate your character's mouth when you talk. Kind of pointless but really cool.[/QUOTE]

I agree with your friends. I wouldn't pass this headset up. IMO it is the best one to use on the PS3. It is a great deal at this price too.

I use the headset and it's the best I've ever used. Most headsets or earbuds don't fit me well, but the one fits pretty well, plus it has a replacable rubber ear part just in case the one on there is too big. Double bonus for it working for PS3 and cell phone, clear on both.

Is it confirmed that both the Endwar Bundle for $25 and SOCOM for $15 Target clearances are OVER?

Is it just that many stores don't have it in stock, or is it that the prices are back to list?

[quote name='davidpiano1']Is it confirmed that both the Endwar Bundle for $25 and SOCOM for $15 Target clearances are OVER?

Is it just that many stores don't have it in stock, or is it that the prices are back to list?[/QUOTE]

I don't think the clearance is over. My Target is out of both though, so I had to find a suitably cheap alternative. This is the lowest I've seen either bundle outside of the Target clearance.

[quote name='davidpiano1']Is it confirmed that both the Endwar Bundle for $25 and SOCOM for $15 Target clearances are OVER?

Is it just that many stores don't have it in stock, or is it that the prices are back to list?[/QUOTE]

They are just sold out

None left.

I was gonna buy it too =(

Definitely bump this if they get more !

The next best thing is the warhawk bundle on amazon which is 36 after ECA. Which is actually cheaper than the headset alone.

Guess its not a bad deal if you have any use for warhawk.

Yeah, the headset that comes with Warhawk is a POS Jabra headset. The one that comes with SOCOM and Endwar is the official Sony one.

I would not recommend getting the Warhawk bundle just for the headset. It stopped holding a charge for no reason at all. I barely ever used it, never dropped it or stepped on it, never had it overcharge or anything. I'm guessing it's definitely worth it to drop the few extra $'s on the more expensive, but apparently much better, official PS3 headset.

I wouldn't pay too much for the Warhawk bundle if all you want is a headset. I have it. It's ok. If I didn't get it really cheap, though, I would have probably been rather disappointed in it.

Well... I was able to reserve a copy with store pick up. But when I get there they bring an open copy without the headset, and that's why is so cheap. Left with nothing.

If you have small ears, don't even bother with this one. It won't get a snug fit at all, unless you really cram it in to the degree where it becomes painful.

I had the official headset and the quality is good but I think some people over exaggerate it. But it hurts my ear after 10 minutes cuz you have to stick it in your ear canal. My motorola h700 is way better comfort wise and basically sounds the same.

Socom is great online, once you find a group of people that communicate the game is a million times more fun.

[quote name='ToadStoolPorridge']Does anyone here have any comments on the quality of the headset? I've been looking to get a new one. (My old one just stopped holding a charge. I had gotten it in the Warkawk bundle.) I would be willing to pay up to $40 for a solid headset, so if someone knows of a better one for the price, any help is appreciated :)[/QUOTE]

This headset is fucking fantastic. The sound is great on both ends, even when in the cradle using it as a room microphone. The battery life is excellent as well, I can personally vouch for the claim of 9 hours talk time.

It's also very comfortable for a headset, ridiculously comfortable for an over-ear bluetooth set, and you don't have to do any of that pairing nonsense when using it with a PS3, just plug the USB cable into the headset and it pairs automatically.

I couldn't recommend it any more highly.

No idea what you "small ear" guys are talking about. If you're jamming it into your ear canal you are doing it wrong. Period.

[quote name='MulderWasTaken']Well... I was able to reserve a copy with store pick up. But when I get there they bring an open copy without the headset, and that's why is so cheap. Left with nothing.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, let's hope the ones coming from the website aren't the same. I hate returning stuff via the mail. Such a pain.

The bundle is now listed at $20.57 for In-Store Pickup ONLY. Thread here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239019

However, somebody in this thread said that when they went to pick it up there was no headset included.

FedEx delivered the one I ordered online today. It's sitting on my front porch right now. I will update this thread when I get home around 9:30PM and let everybody know if the headset is indeed included.

Can you give us more details regarding the game? Was the Mic missing from the bundle? Or did they hand you a standalone copy of the game. Are you sure you bought the version with the included headset on the website? Because both versions were originally the same price.

A little late, but I can confirm that the bundle I ordered from Fry's website was brand new. It was still in the shrink wrap and included the headset. Hurray for a killer deal! $50 headset and a $30 game all for $30.

In the Dallas location at Northwest Hwy, there were like 5 Socom Bundles when it hit $29.99, before it got to $20 they were all gone, not so sure if the store stock allocator is accurate but show none available for the entire area.

Got it from the website @ $30. In comparison to the Warhawk headset, this thing is amazing. Hell, it's even better than my 360 wireless headset. The noise canceling in HQ mode is awesome (I have a somewhat loud computer that gets picked up in normal mode and can't hear a thing in HQ when testing the input.) as well as the overall sound quality.

There's no popping like the Warhawk headset and nothing sounds "muffled" at all. Not sure if I'll be keeping the game (as it is OK, just not "great"), but the headset alone is worth more than twice the cost you'd be paying for it in this bundle.

I got the EndWar bundle from Target a few weeks back. It comes with the official Sony headset, and I have been very pleased with its performance. It is considerably more comfortable to wear and use than the Jabra headset that came with Warhawk. And as far as I can tell, the sound is great. I actually paired it with my cell phone and called a few people up. They all said that they could hear me perfectly, clear as a bell.

Given how much the headset costs on its own, picking up this bundle at Fry's would be a good deal.

I did not know a difference in the sets existed, thanks for the tip off. Too bad I cannot take up that offer, ah well.
cagus.smile.jpg

bread's done
Back