PS3 Standing or Laid down Questition

200STM

CAGiversary!
Hey I was wondering and would like to hear from you fellow CAGs if you have you PS3 in the standing position or the laying positions. In addition do you guys/girls think the PS3 might run different depending on the position it is in just wondering and hopefully this has not been discussed before. stay cheap

(p.s. has anyone bought those dumb console stands for the PS3 or Psthree slim)

Lol ill start by saying mine is in the standing position like my previous playstation consoles the PS2 and my PS1 I had it stand on it side since it was in a tight squeeze in my room XD

I've got the fat PS3. I have it standing up, since it was made to do either. I believe you need to buy an extra part to have the Slim stand up.

[quote name='menikmati']If it was flat on top, I would stack shit on it.[/QUOTE]

That would just be asking for the system to failure, it would definitely be prone to overheating.

My system (fat) is horizontal, as are all my systems.

Mine is horizontal (flat). I have always had my systems this way and probably will never stand any of my systems up.

Leaving a piece of electronic equipment with fast running circuits vertically is very dangerous. As the circuit get hotter there is chance that the solder joints might be soften and if it is in a vertical position the solder might be dislocated due to gravity which in worse case fry up the whole motherboard if it short out any of the other circuit. With such devices like today technology it is not recommended to have it vertical unless there are really solid cooling within it.

[quote name='luan87us']Leaving a piece of electronic equipment with fast running circuits vertically is very dangerous. As the circuit get hotter there is chance that the solder joints might be soften and if it is in a vertical position the solder might be dislocated due to gravity which in worse case fry up the whole motherboard if it short out any of the other circuit. With such devices like today technology it is not recommended to have it vertical unless there are really solid cooling within it.[/QUOTE]
:lol:

Are you kidding me?

Back on topic, I have my fat launch 60 horizontal.

[quote name='luan87us']Leaving a piece of electronic equipment with fast running circuits vertically is very dangerous. As the circuit get hotter there is chance that the solder joints might be soften and if it is in a vertical position the solder might be dislocated due to gravity which in worse case fry up the whole motherboard if it short out any of the other circuit. With such devices like today technology it is not recommended to have it vertical unless there are really solid cooling within it.[/QUOTE]

This is a bit overstated. The PS3 was designed to stand vertically in addition to horizontally, so I don't think its a huge deal.

Mine is vertical for space reasons, as is my 360 and Wii (though that was designed to do so, obviously).

And as someone else said, NEVER stack your consoles.

Vertical for the past 2 years at least (60gb BC system) and no problems. I figure the vent on the right side of the system gets more room to work with this way.

Phat 60gb laying flat with nothing blocking the rear or left side since that's where the vents are. I read somewhere online that it runs a little cooler when it's horizontal, but my reason is that I don't want it to tip over in the event of an earthquake or one of my dogs bumping the tv stand.

[quote name='bvharris']This is a bit overstated. The PS3 was designed to stand vertically in addition to horizontally, so I don't think its a huge deal.

Mine is vertical for space reasons, as is my 360 and Wii (though that was designed to do so, obviously).

And as someone else said, NEVER stack your consoles.[/QUOTE]

It is not overstated. It's common electronic knowledge. By leaving something with an optical drive in vertical position also poses many critical danger to the parts inside the drive. I am not sure if these consoles were "designed" to stand vertically. I am pretty sure it is only for displaying purposes only (may be except the wii). I have fixed many broken XBox 360 and most of them have very common environment when I asked the owners about the system. Most of them either have the console lay flat on carpet or standing vertically and most of the one with vertial have their disc tray stuck or the more serious 2 RROD (Seriously damaged motherboard that often can't not be fix permanently like the 3RROD).

[quote name='jsub']I've got the fat PS3. I have it standing up, since it was made to do either. I believe you need to buy an extra part to have the Slim stand up.[/QUOTE]

My Slim is laying down. It actually can stand, but its a little wobbly (not anything huge though). I would have no qualms about putting mine vertical if I didn't have a spot to put it on my entertainment shelf.

Every system that I have ever owned (NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, PS1, PS2, PS3slim, Xbox, Xbox360, Sega Genesis, Dreamcast. Atari) has been horizonal, EXCEPT the Wii. I feel that it is made to be verical, so it came with a stand.

My launch 60gb is flat, for 2 reasons:
1. I'm affraid of it beeing knocked over by accident
2. Its by a wall on the LEFT; so the "Playstation 3" logo would either face the wall or I'd have to leave it in a VERY awkward position.

Also I wouldn't normally leave any electronic stuff vertically for the 1st reason. The only thing that is vertical is my Wii, but I do for 3 reasons:
1. Its way cheaper than the PS3 (particularly my quite rare 60gb launch version)
2. It's stand has that round plastic thing that makes it much harder to knock over (not to mention when I bought my Wii it already came with a pretty ugly dent on the corner, so I'm sure it can take a few beatings; after all, the wiimotes were meant to thrown around; toward the TV and the Wii itself which should be right next to your TV)
3. There's no space to leave it flat (well there is, but not where I want it :p)

So to summarize:
PS3: Flat
Wii: Standing
xBox360 (when I buy it, it will be): Flat

I forgot to mention one of the possible danger to leaving hot running electronic vertical is first it might get knock over and as the electronic is hot and experiencing impact at the same time that cause a lots of trouble to the circuits as well as the chips inside of it.

[quote name='luan87us']I have fixed many broken XBox 360 and most of them have very common environment when I asked the owners about the system. Most of them either have the console lay flat on carpet or standing vertically and most of the one with vertial have their disc tray stuck or the more serious 2 RROD (Seriously damaged motherboard that often can't not be fix permanently like the 3RROD).[/QUOTE]

You're comparing apples to oranges. A console that is widely agreed to have completely flawed hardware vs. a console/over-engineered monstrosity. It's like saying you fixed lots of Ford Pintos and now claim that all cars explode on contact from behind.

Back to the OP question, my 60GB is vertical due to space. It was horizontal when I had it in my old entertainment center, but then I got a bigger TV and home theater setup, with my receiver and center speaker taking up most of the horizontal space underneath.

I have never had any of my consoles vertical except my Wii.

I can understand having the Wii and the PS3 vertical because of the autoloading disc drive. The other consoles, PS2 and Xbox 360 don't seem to be very disc friendly in the upright position.

bread's done
Back