PS3 Surround Sound System $107 at BB

smthng

CAGiversary!
I snagged a Sony PS3 Surround Sound System from Best Buy for $107 today, YMMV. This is the PS3 specific sound bar thing Sony came out with a few months back.

I can't find any mention of the thing on the web site and the UPC code and product codes don't show up when searched. I'm guessing that it's going away and they're just unloading whatever they have left in the stores. Don't bother calling to ask... you'll get transferred to the audio department and no amount of description will get someone with a clue who knows what this is. I almost paid $179 for it several times, glad I passed on it and got lucky this time. One of my local stores had three of them, one has never had it. Good luck!

Apologies if this should be elsewhere, I couldn't figure a better forum to put it in, as the Sony forum seems to be mostly about games, not deals.

I'll check out my local BB as well. I know it's not the best sound system but for less than $120 I'd like to have one. Thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='CaoPi']pics or it didn't happen[/QUOTE]

lol

Don't count on the store locator working. I know there are two at my store, but they aren't showing up on the locator.

I think I'll pass on this. I have my own version of surround sound, 2.1 speakers in front of me and computer speakers behind me through my PS3's dual audio output.

[quote name='0_0']Is the price YMMV? Don't know if I should drive across town for a chance at it[/QUOTE]

It is. All clearances at BB are YMMV and based on the specific store.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']No subwoofer = not worth it.[/QUOTE]

apparently there's a tiny 30W sub in the sound bar, and it has 2 other 10 W speakers built in. Most tv's have 2 10W speakers already built in, so this sound bar just clears up clarity in some cases and sound. I've been researching it for this PS3 sound bar for a while, and have found mix results. Some say sound quality is good or great and crisper than their tv speakers, but the Max Volume on this sound bar is pretty tame, so don't expect to crank it up at all.

OP have you used it yet, what's your take on it?
I found 3x at a best buy outside of tucson for $130 still.

[quote name='smthng']Don't count on the store locator working. I know there are two at my store, but they aren't showing up on the locator.[/QUOTE]
If a store has less than THREE of an item it'll show up as out of stock/unavailable. That's how BB's system works.
[quote name='Interstella 5555']bummer, nothing in my immediate area...[/QUOTE]
See above. So you may be better off just going in store to look for it, as it may be in stock but they may have less than 3 available.

[quote name='shadowkast']sound bar does not equal surround sound system.....sorry[/QUOTE]

And no subwoofer = fail (and no I don't count the "sub" in the soundbar as a real one).

[quote name='Kaiser499']I don't see what's so special about this thing.[/QUOTE]

It has Sony on it! Buy Buy Buy!!!

[quote name='Kaiser499']I don't see what's so special about this thing.[/QUOTE]
It's by 'teh Sony' so it MUST be good, just like their impenetrable Playstation Network that NEVER gets hacked.;)

The display counts as 1 as well so even tho it says unavailable the one hooked up to the ps3 display can be sold once they get discontinued

That's the fun though, the not knowing if you're going to get an insane deal or not. Albeit with gas at the verge of $4 a gallon around here I'm not taking a chance on too many YMMV deals anymore either, especially knowing how little they normally discount discontinued stuff at the BB/Target stores here.

It utilizes Sony’s proprietary S-Force technology to create the equivalent of a five speaker surround sound system. This device comes with specialized sound fields and sound modes designed specifically to enhance the gaming experience. The system features a sleek design that matches perfectly with the PS3 system and delivers dynamic sound without the clutter of a traditional home theater system.
This sounds crappy. I have a similar setting on my TV. Stereo is better.

[quote name='shadowkast']sound bar does not equal surround sound system.....sorry[/QUOTE]

Sound bars are a real surround sound technology, I'm surprised everyone seems to be engaging this subject as though it's snake oil. Some sound bars do indeed equal a surround sound system - this particular one is probably not one of those, though, as they tend to cost around $1,000.

Sound bars are 2.1 that tries to "bounce" sound around your living room to create 5.1

Having a big room negates the usefulness of it.

bread's done
Back