PS3 Upconversion

Disneyboy

CAGiversary!
I'm thinking about getting a ps3, but my HDTV doesnt have HDMI, does the ps3 upconvert normal DVD's through component cables?

No, it does not. It will only do it through the HDMI port. The only exception to this are "non-copyrighted" DVD discs (ie, DVDs that you burned yourself)

This is also problematic for trying to watch and Blu-ray disc (PS3 or any other player) due to certain copyright protection (such as the HDCP), which will prevent the PS3 on displaying the full resolution available in a blu-ray movie when using anything but the HDMI port and a non-HDCP compliant display.

Does PS3 also upconvert media files? I had been watching some video files from Frasier season 3 streaming from PC via XBMC, then when I started season 4 I began using a HDD connected to the PS3. The image looked a lot better to me...but I wasn't sure if that was just due to the quality of the source material or some sort of PS3 placebo effect.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Does PS3 also upconvert media files? I had been watching some video files from Frasier season 3 streaming from PC via XBMC, then when I started season 4 I began using a HDD connected to the PS3. The image looked a lot better to me...but I wasn't sure if that was just due to the quality of the source material or some sort of PS3 placebo effect.[/quote]

I've been wondering this myself.

bread's done
Back