PS3 upscaling PS2 games [Post in PS3 101 Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnLa101

CAGiversary!
I'm ready to get a PS3 and was wondering if the 80gb's upscaling for PS2 games is worth the extra money (hard drive is whatever since I hear you can change it out quite easily and cheaply). I have a PS2 w/ component cables and bright cell-shaded or sprite games like Disgaea 2 look fine , but dark 3-d games like FFXII and God of War 2 look anywhere from barely acceptable to awful on my 1080P plasma. I'll still be getting PS2 games since I always fall in and out of gaming and missed the last 2-3 years of the PS2, so there are a bunch of games I would like to play like Shadow Hearts and other RPGs.

I'm aware that the Metal Gear bundle will have BC, but I've never played any MGS games and don't plan on starting it as my first PS3 games, so most likely that bundle isn't an option for me.

Also aware that the 60gb is best for BC, but don't feel like paying too much for new and always iffy about buying used hardware (no prob buying used games, but consoles are too risky).

So, to make a long story short, is there a noticeable improvement with the upscaling compared to playing on the PS2, such that it would warrant buying the 80gb over the 40gb? Does anybody have or know of a place where I can see comparisons of the upscaling online?

Thanks in advance.

You might want to change your title. Your real question seems to be about upconverting PS2 games and how they look. The title seems to indicate which PS3 to buy "generally speaking" which people don't want to answer because it's subjective decision. Plus it may be that the mods will note to discuss this in the PS3 101 sticky thread.

I don't have either the PS2 or 3 (MGS4 bundle on preorder), just trying to help you get the answer you're looking for.

I've been thoroughly unimpressed by the upscaling of both DVD's and PS2 games. I guess that nothing beats native High Def. I've turned off the upscaling on games like Shadow of the Colossus, and it looks pretty much the same.

If you already have a PS2 and plan to keep it - then no need for BC.
But if you're like me who sold all his gaming stuff pre-wedding, devoted himself to his wife's utter happiness for a few years, then got a green - light to buy a system, get BC =D

(Sorry fellas, that's just the way it works - but it works well =) )

Thanks for the inputs. I guess if the upscaling doesn't do much or in some case makes it worst, I'll just settle for the 40gb and keep my old PS2 (had since 2002) around. Hope it doesn't die out on me. Another question though,

Since the MGS bundle will have a 80GB w/ Dual shock + MGS = $499, does that mean there will be a price drop of the other SKUs? Am I gonna get burned if I buy a PS3 now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back