PS3 USB Hub Recommendations

gfshurts

CAGiversary!
I searched the forums and couldn't find a related topic so I thought I'd start one.

I've got a PS3 and several games that use accessories (thanks to CAG! as noted below):
- 2x Dualshock 3 controllers
- PlayStation Camera (Eye of Judgment $35 Target clearance)
- Buzz Master Quiz Buzzers (Master quiz for $20 at Walmart)
- 2x Guitar Hero guitars (GHIII and GHAerosmith game + guitar $25 each Target clearance)
- USB Microphone (Disney Sing-it $10 at Best Buy)
- Official PlayStation Blutooth Headset (with Endwar for $7 at Best Buy!)

Granted I don't use them all at one time, but I've only got 2 USB ports on my 80GB PS3. Does anyone have any recommendations for USB hubs that work well with their PS3 accessories?

I was thinking of picking up a 4 port hub (non-powered, Belkin for ~$8) to plug in the Mic, 2x guitar controller and Buzzer receivers. When I want to play party games, I can just hook that up. However, that leaves 2 slots to plug in the other 4 devices: Cam, 2 controllers and 1 headset charger. I've found some 7 port hubs for significantly more ($20-30 bucks) that are powered. Can I use these kind to also charge all of my stuff - that way I can charge my controllers without the PS3 on (as I generally shut it down when I'm not playing)?

Sorry for the long explanation but I thought I'd give as many details as possible.

Thanks,
gfshurts

I did some more looking around on some other sites and seemed to have found the answer to my own questions. I figured I would post it so that others will know the answers:

- Any USB 2.0 hub will work with the PS3 for any device. However:
- Non-powered hubs will work great with anything that is sending data and is not powered. For example, the guitar controllers, mics and buzzers only send data to the PS3. They get a little juice, but not enough to matter.
- Powered hubs are required once you start connecting a bunch of accessories that need power. If you start charging a couple of controllers, headset and the camera off one of the PS3's USB ports you could burn it out.

It sounds like I'll need a powered USB hub for what I'm trying to do. Any recommendations on where to find a cheap one? Or a good brand - Belkin seems to make good stuff but also seems overpriced?

I use the hub that came with rockband. I also have 4 usb slots. However, I don't keep everything plugged in if I'm not using them. Having guitars and what not plugged in force the DS3 controller not to be controller 1 which I don't like. My point is, do you need all your buzz controllers, guitars, DS3's, camera, microphone, etc. plugged in 24/7??? Look out for mother nature and your electric bill man. It's like unplugging your cell phone charger when not in use. Only plug the stuff in when you need it. It can't be that far of a walk from the throne to the ps3, ya know.

bread's done
Back