(PS3) way of the samurai 3 $16.40 on Amazon.com!

I've had this in my cart to track...I may finally bite, because I thought the original was really interesting/creative.

I actually woke up today having a dream related to this series, where I'm replaying the game to make different decisions :D

Does this game shine the light on actual samurai culture or is it just a game in a samurai setting? I enjoy old samurai movies and would like to learn more.

Reviews are not so good so i wouldn't actually be looking for a gameplay experience.

Oh you want it for the gameplay. It's VERY original-at least this is supposed to be better than the first one, which was already quite good.

I have no idea how realistic it is from that perspective, although probably a bit more than most games with that theme. But the idea of it is it's extremely based on your decisions. Like the story and what happens can go all over the place based on what you do at different times. It would have been really hard to make, and even the first one works much better than you'd expect. Time passes, different events happen at different times regardless of whether you're there or not, what you choose to do can effect things later, etc.

I can't remember many examples...seems like the first one started you going into a town across a bridge, where a guy is being attacked, and you can save him (or not) and it goes from there.

It was a very cool, very ambitious game that probably deserved more attention than it got.

[quote name='Japakneez']Does this game shine the light on actual samurai culture or is it just a game in a samurai setting? I enjoy old samurai movies and would like to learn more.

Reviews are not so good so i wouldn't actually be looking for a gameplay experience.[/QUOTE]

It's my all time favorite samurai series, really looking forward to way of the samurai 4

Been playing these games since the first one, and love them all. Review scores are always low for them, but it's one of those games that you either "get" or you don't, and if you get it, you'll like it regardless of the score. Gameplay is solid, though nothing too deep; it's easy to get into, not too difficult to master the finer points, and fairly enjoyable, but the combat wouldn't hold the game up on its own. The idea of your actions having far reaching consequences is cool, and there are tons of scenes to see and paths to explore; it would take many playthroughs to encounter them all, and even then, you often have the option of altering them further based on your own decisions. I believe the game has 21 endings (not counting the "you killed everyone you encountered" ending), though some of them are similar.

The last thing worth mentioning, and this is possibly my favorite aspect of these games, is the sword collecting and upgrading. There are over 100 swords to acquire in the game, each with its own unlockable moveset(again, some are similar, though every sword has at least one or two moves unique to it) and the ability to upgrade and forge any weapon into a better version of itself(or, if you have patience, a godlike killing machine), making the game, in a way, almost like a samurai themed Pokemon game. If you choose to play it that way. This game even gives you the ability to build your own sword with its own unique movelist based on the abilities you've unlocked from other swords, but to be honest, after 60+ hours of playing the game, i've never really delved into this.

Not everyone will like it, and it's not a game you can judge based on a rental, as the enjoyment out of it is largely proportional to the amount of time you invest into it.

Oh, and for the real cheap asses out there, it has been lower; Amazon had it as a VG DotD back in the summer for $15. Just sayin'.

I've picked this up(and returned it) at least twice already, once from TRU in their used bin and once from Gamestop during the last B2G1.

If this were $10-15 it'd be a must buy impulse purchase for me, but definitely not at $20+ with my backlog.

How many games do you have? I'm up over 100 I think :lol: (Haven't counted in ages, but months ago, or maybe last year I was just over 1 00, and while I've played a ton of games, I've added even more!)

[quote name='Wolfpup']How many games do you have? I'm up over 100 I think :lol: (Haven't counted in ages, but months ago, or maybe last year I was just over 1 00, and while I've played a ton of games, I've added even more!)[/QUOTE]
Not as many as other people on here in all honesty, but enough that I know I should just lock away my most played game(s) and focus on clearing the backlog. That now includes MX vs. ATV Reflex, White Knight Chronicles and Bayonetta(for the second time) from the BBV BOGO sale and is not even counting Sacred 2, Godfather II and another half dozen or more titles.

So yeah, I really don't need anymore games right now, but I keep buying them.

I swear I must be crazy to keep doing all these deals on here when I can't even get through what I have already.:whistle2:#

I own it for the 360, but I bought the ps3 version as well. I haven't played it yet, but I think someone said that there was a bug in the 360 version that was never patched.

I think I might finally pick this game up. I've always wanted to play it, but the price just never seemed to drop on it.

I was watching a lone copy of it for the PS3 at the one local BB store. It was on their clearance rack, but never made it to the magical 50% off price before it got bought.:roll:

Of course, I REALLY would've liked if it went to 75% off.

Way of the Samurai 3 on Xbox is perfectly functional, but you don't get the DLC. The 360 and PS3 had different publishers and the extra costumes/weapons nonsense DLC came out for free on PS3, paid on Xbox. Worse still, that DLC on Xbox was broken. Apparently, the publisher never fixed that crap so Xbox players are stuck without it, but it is just some accessories, custom weapon parts, and outfits. Not really a deal breaker in a game with more unique swords than you will ever use. That said, that DLC had like rifles and fish and crap so you miss out on WACKY swords.

As far as the actual game, it's Samurai-ish as much as a video game can be but it isn't realistic. It's meant to be a replayable game with collecting swords, upgrading stats, amassing collectibles, and seeing all the ending paths. A LOT of the game is walking around and if you accidentally try to do the awful, pointless, resetting every run side missions, you'll hate the game.

But, still, environments are nice. The NPCs are fun, and seeing the different ways you can muck up the plot or side with various characters is fun. Combat is decent apart from the difficulty stemming largely from your stats.

If you are the sort who enjoys that sort of Japanese style replayable, grindish game, you could eke out 60 hours easily.

If you AT ALL liked WotS1 or 2, WotS3 really combines the best aspects of them and polishes it up quite a bit.

My only issue? Really, at this point, $20 is probably a bit much. I paid full price and do not regret it for a second but if you've waited this long, $20 isn't really a CAG-tier deal.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Way of the Samurai 3 on Xbox is perfectly functional, but you don't get the DLC. The 360 and PS3 had different publishers and the extra costumes/weapons nonsense DLC came out for free on PS3, paid on Xbox. Worse still, that DLC on Xbox was broken. Apparently, the publisher never fixed that crap so Xbox players are stuck without it, but it is just some accessories, custom weapon parts, and outfits. Not really a deal breaker in a game with more unique swords than you will ever use. That said, that DLC had like rifles and fish and crap so you miss out on WACKY swords.

As far as the actual game, it's Samurai-ish as much as a video game can be but it isn't realistic. It's meant to be a replayable game with collecting swords, upgrading stats, amassing collectibles, and seeing all the ending paths. A LOT of the game is walking around and if you accidentally try to do the awful, pointless, resetting every run side missions, you'll hate the game.

But, still, environments are nice. The NPCs are fun, and seeing the different ways you can muck up the plot or side with various characters is fun. Combat is decent apart from the difficulty stemming largely from your stats.

If you are the sort who enjoys that sort of Japanese style replayable, grindish game, you could eke out 60 hours easily.

If you AT ALL liked WotS1 or 2, WotS3 really combines the best aspects of them and polishes it up quite a bit.

My only issue? Really, at this point, $20 is probably a bit much. I paid full price and do not regret it for a second but if you've waited this long, $20 isn't really a CAG-tier deal.[/QUOTE]
I loved the first one and I wanted to get the second one, but by the time I tried to find a copy it was already supposedly 'rare' and I wasn't about to pay $40-50 for a used copy of a game so long after release.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I loved the first one and I wanted to get the second one, but by the time I tried to find a copy it was already supposedly 'rare' and I wasn't about to pay $40-50 for a used copy of a game so long after release.:roll:[/QUOTE]

just pay for it already! Havn't you been looking for this game for like 10 years already? :lol:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I loved the first one and I wanted to get the second one, but by the time I tried to find a copy it was already supposedly 'rare' and I wasn't about to pay $40-50 for a used copy of a game so long after release.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Gamestop has it used for $9.99. That's where I got my copy of WotS2.

[quote name='CaoPi']just pay for it already! Havn't you been looking for this game for like 10 years already? :lol:[/QUOTE]
This game? It wasn't even out 10 years ago. But I'll buy it once it's like $10 at most.
[quote name='Niwen Starfire']Gamestop has it used for $9.99. That's where I got my copy of WotS2.[/QUOTE]
Good to know. Now if I only had a PS2 anymore I'd pick up a copy to play through. I could've sworn that WOTS2 was 'rare' or sought after for a long time. I wonder what happened that it's value dropped so much.:whistle2:k

Drops again AFTER I buy it of course :D

Well, my new drive is shipping soon, so I'll actually be able to play it on my new Playstation :)

good price but I need it to be $10 to add to the backlog.

I played the 360 version and I liked it. It's like GTA but in samurai times and you can do more animations with the character. My favorite thing to do was start shit with someone and then quickly get on my knees and apologize. lol
We also found a stick and upgraded it a bit. Seems like a solid game.

yeah 4 is looking great! I hope it doesn't turn out to be bad looks like it's a bit more into the future

http://www.andriasang.com/e/galleries/2010/11/01/samuraido4
samuraido4

bread's done
Back