PS4 and SSD

shadylane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
As the PS4 approaches, and my decision to go full digital next gen, I had a few questions:

What do we know about performance gains and if it's really worth shelling out an extra hundred dollars on the upgrade?

Does the stock 500 GB run at 5400 or 7200?

We're not going to know anything until it's out and everyone plays with it.
Yeah, seems kinda pointless to ask questions like this when we don't even know how well the systems will even run on traditional HDDs. But I'm sure that using an SSD is probably something a lot of people are wondering about so it probably won't be long before someone tests the system using a SSD.

Last edited by a moderator:
SSD should be great since I believe they are using Sata 3.

But I'd still wait for release before seeing what's what.

I can't speak for PS4s but with PC gaming, SSDs are not much faster than traditional HDDs for all games except MMOs.
I would disagree. I've seen significant boosts in performance for almost all of my software with the SSD that I purchased. Most of the performance boost is in the speed of loading. But since almost everything has to load from the hard drive at some point, the performance boost can be seen across the board.

Once the game has already started and is running, the benefits become less obvious. You aren't going to see as much increase at run-time. But for actually loading software an SSD makes a huge difference.

From the sound of it, you probably won't see much benefit from an SSD on the PS4, because of the way in which data loading is handled on the PS4. The data streaming features of the PS4 are going to make it possible for software to start running before all of the data has been loaded. This will likely work for the hard drive as well. It's likely that this feature will drastically cut back on load times for all PS4 software, no matter what hard drive is installed. You would probably want to stick with a standard disc HDD and take advantage of the value. I would focus on getting one that has a decent capacity, and runs nice and quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back