PS4 Subscription to play multiplayer games

Reno Takamiya

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I was wondering your thoughts on Sony announcing that PS4 will now have you pay to play multiplayer games. I'm only asking because on another forum this guy doesn't understand why they need.

His reasoning is that the PS4 could already host a server because of it's eight cores.

I'm adding the quotes to this topic so you can go ahead and read them but I'd like to hear your thoughts on both matters.

It is an important thing. By people accepting this fee, Sony fans have agreed to increase the inflation of their product to several hundred dollars when they used to champion it. It is a big fucking deal. The same way it's a big deal that Sony fans used to champion backwards compatibility. The PS4 should be backwards compatible and have free online. There is no excuse at all. They don't need servers, especially since it has 8 cores and can easily host games. There is no reason this thing cannot play PS1 games.
Quote #2

Why do people bitch about the X1 when it's been fixed, but don't make a sound over the fact that Sony is now charging for online multiplayer and abandoned their backwards compatibility policy?
Quote #3

Those servers are largely unnecessary and redundant. Games like DCS world where a ton of crap needs to be provided has host servers. There is no reason to have servers unless it's an MMO.

You may not see it as inflation, but it is. It jumped from $0 to $480.
He is also a huge fan and member of the PC Master Race.

I think it would be very silly for them not to charge for it, with the huge success of Microsoft doing it. Like it was said on the podcast, Sony would be leaving money on the table if they were to continue to offer it for free.

That does suck, but I'm sticking to my PS3 until the PS4 is well out the door and see how it all plays out. Also will be waiting for a price drop before I think about getting one.

I don't like the online multi-player being behind a paywall since I rarely play online and have a hard time justifying paying for a service I rarely would use.

But my bigger concern as a current PS+ subscriber is that with PS+ being required for online multi-player on PS4, thus almost a mandatory service for many people, the current PS+ incentives like free games will decline in value offered. 

I hope Sony proves me wrong in my concerns and with a larger influx of PS+ subscribers they up their game in terms of free games offered due to a larger pot of money.  But if they are hurting for money I can't see them not wanting to pocket a large part of the subscription service fees vs. spending/re-investing them in the service itself.  

I'm taking a wait and see approach, and not planning on extending my PS+ sub past 2015 until Sony gives an idea of how PS+ will be once PS4 is out.

I don't like the online multi-player being behind a paywall since I rarely play online and have a hard time justifying paying for a service I rarely would use.

But my bigger concern as a current PS+ subscriber is that with PS+ being required for online multi-player on PS4, thus almost a mandatory service for many people, the current PS+ incentives like free games will decline in value offered.

I hope Sony proves me wrong in my concerns and with a larger influx of PS+ subscribers they up their game in terms of free games offered due to a larger pot of money. But if they are hurting for money I can't see them not wanting to pocket a large part of the subscription service fees vs. spending/re-investing them in the service itself.

I'm taking a wait and see approach, and not planning on extending my PS+ sub past 2015 until Sony gives an idea of how PS+ will be once PS4 is out.
I honestly don't see them changing much. Already have Drive Club and a handful of indie titles coming out for free. Then there is going to be all those F2P games as well, that in actuality aren't really F2P since you need PS+ to play online. :p

Anyway, as long as they keep the sub price at $50 ill be happy with that. (I know it has been stated it won't go up now, but I am referring to the future.)

i already pay for plus for the games(which has paid for itself probably triple times over if not more). couldnt give 2 shits if they put MP behind a paywall, cuz even if they didnt, id still be subscribing to ps+ for the lifetime of my ps4.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought paying to play multiplayer was bullshit. That is why I loved the ps3. I knew that once sony saw Microsoft get away with it, the would follow them. I have to pay to use my internet connection that I already pay for to play the game I already bought? Garbage.

I'm not the biggest fan of paying for online but I don't play too many online games anyway, and if I do, then it's only for a month so I can just buy a one month sub. But if they improve their network, then I don't see an issue with them charging for it. 

I really hope they make background updates available to everyone though. 

The free games PS+ offers pays for itself many times over, and that's not including the extra benefits that comes along with it, so it doesn't bother me at all. As for the PS4 requiring PS+ to play online... well...

I always thought paying to play multiplayer was bullshit. That is why I loved the ps3. I knew that once sony saw Microsoft get away with it, the would follow them. I have to pay to use my internet connection that I already pay for to play the game I already bought? Garbage.
Blame all of the morons that pay for Xbox Live. It's their fault.
...this.

Yep, but at least plus offers some value with free games and doesn't paywall other features/apps.
Exactly. With the system of how XBL is set up, you need to pay for gold even for Netflix and Hulu (and other various apps) that have a subscription cost already tied to the the apps themselves. The set up of the PS4 allows you to access these apps without Plus.

I won't mind if isn't separate from PS+. I already have a membership for that and the quality of freebie rentals/free games, would make paying for multiplayer worth it.

Now if I have to pay $50 for PS+ and $50 just for stuff related to multiplayer a year, forget it.

bread's done
Back