PSA: Amazon now allows using Amazon Gift Cards to purchase other Gift Cards

3GQ4gjr.jpg

Shut the

Pepperidge farm doesn't even remember when only video games deals were in the video game section.

Yes, I know, I get it. But at the same time, how many people are planning on buying credit to buy credit to buy credit to buy credit? You're the reason we eventually can't have nice things. You're the shopping equivalent of the motorcyclist that rides the line to get to the front and acts like that's not ridiculous.
Ahhhh stop it. This thread will be buried in a matter of days and it it's not, that means it is popular which means the thread creation was a great idea.

And nice things come from evolution, evolve, adding new things, taking away old things, like outdated rules, and traditions, and bitching about a green shirt having an orange dot. I know I'm not making sense anymore but my post count needed one.

Buy Gamestop giftcard from Amazon. Go to Gamestop, buy Amazon gift card. Get points. Turn around, buy Gamestop giftcard again. Rinse and repeat. Get infinite Gamestop Power Up Rewards points. Never have to pay for another game again. 

Works best if you hit multiple stores, or if you are a regular customer. At the store I go to, I trade in so much stuff and move stuff around so often they wouldn't even bat an eye. That and the GM texts me literally every day to let me know of any new skus that are in the system. He's become a personal friend over the years. :)

Good thing I'm getting a refund from Amazon on that awful as hell Estus Flask edition. I mean.... just look at this "High Quality Replica" 

http://i.imgur.com/mF0vXCU.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i thought it had always been this way. i've been buying GS GC for nearly 2 months now. didn't know there was actually a restriction in the past. I guess now its gonna quickly get killed once the influx of gc orders hit amazon pos with amazon credits as tender currency.  

Confirmed. Did $150 in Gamestop GC on Amazon yesterday, then went to Gamestop and bought $150 in Amazon gift cards. 

Got my 3,000 points this morning. 

I just a refund on Amazon, so I have around $250 now.....Which means 5,000 points a day if I really wanted to. I text the GM at the store I go to and he said that while stores can see transactions, they will really only stop you if they suspect fraud in your payment type, which is REALLY hard to do if you are paying with gamestop gift cards. 

Racking up points makes sense to me if you're already headed to Gamestop for another reason. But if you are going just to churn GS credit it's a giant waste of time if you factor in the cost/benefit.

Pro's:
- $5 off coupon equivalent

Con's:
- Using the coupon on GS MSRP games. Can't use it on POSA cards and you already get 20% off at BB so the $5 is more like $4.
- time and gas
- drawing attention to large credit transfer for a junior detective
- potentially ruining it for other people

It's been debated before but you're earning essentially less for the 10 minutes of work that you can earn elsewhere at another job.

Racking up points makes sense to me if you're already headed to Gamestop for another reason. But if you are going just to churn GS credit it's a giant waste of time if you factor in the cost/benefit.

Pro's:
- $5 off coupon equivalent

Con's:
- Using the coupon on GS MSRP games. Can't use it on POSA cards and you already get 20% off at BB so the $5 is more like $4.
- time and gas
- drawing attention to large credit transfer for a junior detective
- potentially ruining it for other people

It's been debated before but you're earning essentially less for the 10 minutes of work that you can earn elsewhere at another job.
It goes up exponentially the more credit you have. Did a massive trade in (downsized most of my DS collection, was never going to play them) as well as some PS3, PS4, and a few Xbone games and utilizing the 50% extra trade in credit when you buy a copy of the Division, I ended up with close to $1300. Some games I got more store credit than what I bought them for.

Cleared it with the manager, and bought $1575 worth of Amazon gift cards yesterday. (Had $275 in Amazon credit I had made into GS credit)

This morning I had my 30,000 points, essentially $30 for a 5 minute drive and 10 minutes of standing there. Manager even told me he would have a ton more cards for me on Sunday if I wanted to drop by again. He said he doesn't care because it helps his units per hour total, and since I am paying with gift cards there's no possibility of fraud.

Does nobody else see this as an infinite money glitch irl? Get points, redeem for certificates, buy a game or two then trade them in the next day for credit. Then use that credit towards more Amazon gift cards, then convert them to gamestop gift cards, and rinse and repeat.

Four times a week and I can score 120,000 points per week until Gamestop finally wises up and discontinues points on gift cards. (Which they will eventually)

Con's:
- potentially ruining it for other people.
I addressed this. I do know that it's an "infinite money glitch" as that's a normal benefit when you churn through gift cards. The issue is the risk is so miniscule. It's not like you're earning 20%. You are earning the equivalent of a 1% (maybe 2% with the recent PRO benefits) before factoring in the 20% you'd get at somewhere else like Best Buy. You can earn higher rewards with credit cards if you want to go through the effort. There are forums dedicated to that kind of stuff with a much higher payoff. Your manager being cool with purchasing $1,000 worth of POSA credit is the exception not the norm. A lot of cags would get laughed out of the building if they tried the same thing. There's a good chance LP will flag large purchase transactions and you having to deal with the repercussions.

And just as I quoted above, I'm sure some analyst at Amazon would notice the ridiculously large transaction flag the gift card churning and shut down the loophole. There are some that look at this thread as a PSA but there are others that are worried this loophole will get patched. Buying that many gift cards is definitely going to speed that process up. Personally, I'd rather just leave the GC churning alone so that others can use them when they actually need it.

Amazon probably won't do anything on their end, simply because there aren't really rewards that come from them. They could honestly care less. Gamestop is the only side that probably WOULD do something, and I'd put money on it that they would just discontinue PUR points from being applied on gift cards. You already do not get points on buying GS giftcards in store, and they would probably simply change it so any gift card is not eligible for points. 

As for repercussions, I don't see how there could be any. There isn't anything illegal about this, and the worst they could really do is remove my points or ban my PUR account. Not really that big of a deal to me since I do all of my gaming purchased on Amazon or BB. 

Edited to add: I would argue that the manager I dealt with is NOT the exception at all. I've spoken to numerous managers around town, and unless you are paying with a credit card, gift card credit is fair game, and you can buy whatever you want. One manager said she has a woman that comes in once a week and buys $3,000 worth of Shell gift cards, and that is WITH a credit card. Apparently her son is a gamer and she has to buy shell gift cards for her work's company vehicles so they can get gas. She gets the points benefits, and the company gets the gift cards they need. 

bread's done
Back