PSA: Amazon Prime going up to $119/yr starting May 11

Not that I want to defend Amazon here, but I didn't see this mentioned. I break up all my orders and use slow shipping for the $1 digital credit. In 2016, I received $117 in credit back from Amazon. Didn't get as much in 2017 because there was a period of time Amazon didn't offer me the credit. But it's been back in full force for about the last 7-8 months. If this holds the odds of me getting more than $120 in digital credit is good as I order a bunch of smaller items from Amazon. Yeah, I lose the fast shipping, but at least most of the cheap stuff (as long as it's not add on item) ships free and gets me the credit.

So to me it's worth it just for the digital credit as I can turn that into PSN, Xbox, or Nintendo credit. At the very least, I've already gotten like $50 of credit in the first quarter which significantly subsidizes the rest of the prime payment even if I don't make it to $120.
Yeah, I touched on it, but very little, and at the end of a post. I never actually do this, but I often try to, as I just wait to long to order stuff I need, so 2 days happens most often. But this year I'm gonna try and do better, as I've been getting those digital credit offers like crazy. This is a win/win, as Amazon gets to save on shipping, and they give out shit tons of credits instead. I'm 100% positive that as long as those credits are offered, I know I can do at least $20 worth this year. And even more next year if I start in January.

Buy an Amazon Prime membership like I just did through Ibotta and get a $20 Amazon gift card with the subscription and get one more year at $80. Then I'll see about cancelling. Mine expired in January and I didn't renew it but figured I better jump on this deal.

Honestly, I would have kept it around if they still gave the 20% discount to CEs and not just standard editions. Mine renewed 3 days ago and I emailed them to cancel- they cancelled it without question since I didn't use it at all since renewing. 

As with many people here, it's just not worth it. I'd rather pay $80 for 2 day shipping... which also doesn't really exist anymore anyway. 

$10/month for Prime Video, 2 day shipping, Kindle and Music services...

Yet people gladly pay $8-10 (or more) for Netflix...
Yes and no. Netflix is focused, Amazon is a bit of forced bundle for more features. If I could pay less for just the 2 day shipping, that's all I really care about. I don't have a kindle, use their music service, and really only watch prime video for a few Nick shows my kids watch

Yeah, people pay a monthly sub to Netflix because they want the specific product that Netflix is offering.  Most people I know pay for Prime for the shipping, then Amazon throws in a bunch of other stuff of minimal interest to the customer and uses that as justification to jack up the cost by 20%.

It's like getting dinner at a restaurant and they throw in a toy whistle, some trial size bottles of shampoo and a pair of cheap socks and raise the price by $5.  "But look at all the extra features you get!"  Hey, I just wanted my chicken & pasta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sucks but I use it enough to still warrant the extra cost.  I do use their music and Prime Video so I'm married to it a little more.

Ive noticed that when amazon does offer me the slow shipping credits that it’s all pantry stuff now..

If they did digital I’d do that on a lot more of the orders.

Just a bunch of people going REEE WHY YOU PAY FOR NETFLIX OR HULU AMAZON IS SO MUCH BETTER. Who cares? Those two offer one fucking service that you can cancel after a month of binge watching the show you paid for. Not everyone has the same tastes as you, and not everyone uses every aspect of Prime to make the extra money worth it. Bezos et al are hiking up the price right after raking in record profits and being declared one of the world's richest people whose shipping facility workers get food stamps.

If you can honestly still justify the $120, then good for you buddy. People who don't live off Amazon have the right to be annoyed and cancel if they want to. Defending a massive corporation's price increase by arguing with people who dislike it gets you jack shit.

Buy a car to deal with Chicago winters or pay $20 more a year...

You win this time, Amazon.

My Prime is renewing for $99 on May 8th, though. So that's pretty sweet.

I guess with so many stores price matching amazon now and having items in stock near you ppl aren’t really renewing anymore so the price goes up ..
That's actually quite the opposite of how it works. They have record numbers of subscribers and they're jacking it up by $20. If no one was buying the price would drop.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reminder. Just cancelled. My renew was set for June 19th. I've made about 6 orders in the last 6 months, not really worth the $$ when I don't use the other services (except free games from twitch)

I'll probably renew again but following that future renewals have been downgraded to questionable. As it stands, I probably still save money with the shopping do there but I haven't been buying as much as I used to in years. I would imagine their video streaming service is the main reason why this is being increased yet again.

Here's a fucking thought though - revamp the college Prime accounts as even after the last change people exploit that shit like crazy. They pay a fraction of what we do for Prime and get the SAME benefits. Either put limitations on it or nix some of their features (like just getting the shipping and no other benefits) as it's always been bullshit we pay way more for the same thing than these "college" kids do. It is still abused to hell even after they changed things about it a couple years ago.

The free games with Twitch Prime have been decent. Getting steamworld dig 2, shadow tactics, and tomb of annihilation have been highlights for me.

Jeff Bezos and the faggot squad fully channeling their "Too Big To Fail" mentality. That's the secret of the world, Jeffy. NOBODY is too big to fail.

bread's done
Back