PSA: Amazon Raises Free Shipping Minimum To $49

Damn. Just when I let my Prime expire this year LOL.

I can't see myself doing too many orders with $49 shipping - unless I'm doing an item that is already $40+. Still not rejoining Prime though, so I guess I'm just done with Amazon period. 

i find it odd that people have had a hard time with Amazon and their Prime service. I am curious as to some horror stories some of you have faced where Amazon is no longer a good site for you to use? I have never had a real problem with them. Any i DID have was always solved quickly and with tons of $10 coupons and Prime membership 1 month extensions.

So how has Amazon hurt you guys? Genuinely curious to see why I have a great time with their site and others do not. And I've been an Amazon user since before Prime existed and loved it even then. Maybe it's cuz where I live (Rhode Island), it's still tax free on Amazon? ::shrug::

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, finally happened. They just made it so I'm going to have to get Prime.

Finally happened. After having to pay tax, and now shipping, Amazon will be equal to buying from Gamestop (except I'd have to wait on shipping). I refuse to buy Prime. If they had a cheaper version for only the game discount & 2 day shipping, I'd think about it. As it is, I refuse to pay for Prime when I wouldn't use half of the stuff that causes it to be so expensive. If i need to order, I guess I'll have to throw something else in the cart, or buy from a 3rd party. Very disappointing, IMHO.

Prime rules. 95% of my amazon orders are below $35 and 70% of them are below $10. And I order A LOT from them.

i find it odd that people have had a hard time with Amazon and their Prime service. I am curious as to some horror stories some of you have faced where Amazon is no longer a good site for you to use? I have never had a real problem with them. Any i DID have was always solved quickly and with tons of $10 coupons and Prime membership 1 month extensions.

So how has Amazon hurt you guys? Genuinely curious to see why I have a great time with their site and others do not. And I've been an Amazon user since before Prime existed and loved it even then. Maybe it's cuz where I live (Rhode Island), it's still tax free on Amazon? ::shrug::
Same, they have NEVER not fixed a problem of mine, 9 times out of 10 above and beyond my expectation.

My bloodborne order was delayed, and as it was genuinely a gift, i was pissed. Got in touch, as it was a widespread problem, they gave me 30$ credit back, on a 60$ game. My original dark souls order was supposed to be the CE, they shipped without the CE stuff (the collectors tin). Just refunded the entire sale and told me to keep it.

I used AMZ to purchase a GFX card for a friend (970 gtx), after the false advertisement claims on the VRAM, they offered to refund 130 something back. He declined and wanted to return the card. They refunded the entire amount as credit towards a 980 and told him to keep the 970. Whenever a shipment is late, i can get free prime. Amazon is still (in my personal and professional experience), one of the few retailers that will take care of you if you have a problem, but people want to nail them to the cross over a 14$ minimum ship hike that should have happened last year?.

I'll likely relegate my Amazon purchases to just around Christmas time like usual. They sure are making it hard for now Primers to really keep using them though. I do know I stopped buying manga from them as they seemed to usually come in terrible packaging and after a few bent covers and such I just stopped. I don't feel the loyalty to them and they have helped me a little with purchases in the past, but nothing as good other than small amounts of credit.

I don't hate them, but I just don't really like them either. Course i'm kind of going away from the just order lots of crap and have it delivered. I kind of get some amusement out of going in store sometimes....sometimes...

Guess I'll be ordering less directly from Amazon or FBA sellers now than I already am.  Been ordering less anyway, as the deals have been kinda meh lately.  

Usually just pay for shipping anyway(usually only order 1 item), as it usually takes 1 1/2 - 2 weeks for free shipping compared to 5 days when you pay. 

Prime rules. 95% of my amazon orders are below $35 and 70% of them are below $10. And I order A LOT from them.
Nobody is denying that Prime is convenient for a lot people, the problem here lies in the fact that Amazon price matches a lot and doesn't try to set the standard in any way.

I've heard people say good things about some of those shows, but I can't say any are up my alley of intrigue. The one exception might be Family Tree, just because Roy from The IT Crowd is in it. I prefer sci-fi which seems to be missing from their offerings.
I liked Family Tree, watched it because he was in it. His sister who uses the stuffed monkey to voice her true feelings is hilarious. It stinks they cancelled it after one season.

Doesn't the HBO stuff require add-on subscriptions?
With Prime you get any HBO programming that has been out at least three years. So for example when GoT season 5 ends, Season 2 would start streaming. Older series, that are completed, would be there in their entirety.

This only includes HBO original programming, not third party movies that HBO streams for subscribers

I have to say I'm not really bothered by this.  I've pretty much move away from Amazon for a while now, especially since other retailers have started price matching them.  It doesn't make me want prime as I still and have never found enough value in it to warrant it.  Really all this means to me is I'll buy even less now from Amazon.

I definitely bought less when they raised the minimum to $35.  Now my purchases will be almost nonexistent, probably just 1-2 a year.  My wish list will just get longer until I hit the minimum threshold.

Holy shit. Well I guess in mostly done ordering small things from Amazon then. I'll stick to Best Buy for movies and games now

I love Amazon Prime and order so much from them that the cost of shipping per item feels like almost nothing especially since it's 2 day shipping. Add other benefits like cheaper 1 day shipping upgrade, 20% off newly released games, free movies and I just don't see it being a bad deal. But I guess for people who don't order much, it's bad news.

Interest rates don't matter if you never get charged interest.
I don't know why anybody in their right mind would want to get charged interest, I know some people fall on hard times but I've always been the person that if I can't afford it I shouldn't have it.

Also, there are ways around it, it doesn't pay to stick with one credit card long term.

Man, what is it about my postings on the Internet that make it so impossible for people to understand what I'm saying? I wasn't talking about The Wire. Note how the post I responded to had two segments--one about Amazon and one about HBO. Note that my reply ALSO had two paragraphs, one to respond to each part (oh, and note I'm going to do the same with the reply to you). I was quite clearly speaking of the examples from Amazon--Hand of God, Bosch, and Alpha Dogs.
Well, this is a cluttered thread with a lot of tangents and it's hard to keep track of direct replies if you don't quote what you're responding to and it would have been much more clearer if you named those shows.

A lack of interest isn't equivalent to hate. Like I said before, comments of judgment without legitimate explanation behind them are useless, so what you're saying ("watch something other than sci-fi") without any other substance (the rest of the statement basically just says "new sci-fi is lame") just has nothing to really take away.
It's not terribly easy to coherently say something of substance by trying to recommend basically everything good that's come out in the last 10 years unless I know you want to read an essay about the merits of writing, character development, cinematography, acting, etc. and that's if I was interested in writing it (I'm not). But yes, like I said, most new sci-fi is absolutely inferior to the experiences the best have to offer. Heroes Reborn was a retread abortion of a show. Almost Human had entertaining leads, but it was a dragged down by being a typical crime procedural and no amount of cool future stuff could have elevated it beyond that. Terra Nova was okay but unremarkable. Under The Dome was wall to wall idiocy.

I'm not going to inundate myself with stuff I hate until I like it to be cool. ... I think that the only show I watch still running is The Big Bang Theory, since Falling Skies and Defiance both ended last year and The League just did the same.
It's not about being cool. It's about having an open mind. You won't know you hate something unless you actually watch it. I watched all of Falling Skies and while it had its moments, it wasn't really worth the time investment. But my favorite sci-fi shows of recent years--12 Monkeys, Chuck, Person of Interest, Fringe, Eureka, The 100, Agent Carter, Orphan Black, Futurama, Venture Bros, Rick & Morty--they aren't limited by their unique premises. They use sci-fi elements and/or settings, but aside from humor, action, mystery, romance and any number of other "borrowed" elements, what they all boil down to is human interaction drama that tells a story that evolves over time, opposed to a cast that stays static and does the same thing every week, occasionally hooking up, getting married and crapping out a baby or two. And that's basically what any good show does. I don't need the major crimes unit to investigate the Barksdale organization in jet packs and I don't need Walter White's product to be made of robot space flowers. Star Trek The Next Generation wasn't great because it was in space and there were aliens and pew pew laser weapons; it was great because the characters were worth exploring.

Well, damn.....look like I'm not going to make purchase from them anymore. :( Only use them for getting amiibo, games and prime, but I'm not going to renew since I hardly use it. :/

Seem ike the charge $4.98 for every game that I have tested. Not too bad for 5 day (?) shipping. I just hate that Amazon went from number one gaming purchases, and trade ins, to Gamestop (for me, as I don't pre-order many new games). I never shop at Gamestop unless it's a last resort.

I do have amazon credit that I will have to use eventualy, but I may buy Uncharted 4, and it will have free shipping. I wasn't wanting Amazon Credit, but I bought it after a CAG agreed to tradeit for a $50 eShop code. The second he was going to send the code, he said he had to lay down. I didn't hear from him until a week later. I redeemed the credit on my account, as I don't like leaving the gift card code in my email since email can be hacked pretty easily. I wanted to leave bad feedback since he couldn't even tell me it wasn't going to happen, but I told him I wouldn't if he'd just respond to a PM. That got him to respond, saying he was sick for a week. No, "Hey, I'm better. Here's the code." Just, "So sorry, bro. I was sick."

I'm not sure if you guys follow any of this but shipping costs have only gone up, and in some cases exponentially, over the last few years. Amazon isn't going to be the only retailer doing this.
Amazon should probably work harder at negotiating that seeing as how fuel costs are the lowest they've been in the past decade.

Like others, I'm in the camp where Amazon has me paying sales tax, now this and I'm just buying less from them. Stuff isn't really cheaper any more so I might as well pick stuff up from Target on my way home or get the copy of Hamlet my kid needs from Barnes & Noble. I let my Prime lapse and, while I might pick it back up, it won't be until I somehow really need something from Amazon with no nearby physical alternative.

Amazon prided themselves as one of the most competitively priced stores ever. They fought tooth and nail for years to keep the edge of tax-free orders. How is it that people who spend $20-35 here and there are the fringe and not those who spend $500+ (not including Prime) a year?
Actually, maybe they're not. But Amazon is obviously doing everything they can to convert customers to Prime. And I think they're ok with losing small customers in exchange for getting a lot more money out of newly converted Prime members.

Try 35. Or nothing, if you go get it at the store with zero wait.

Done with Amazon after my Prime is up this year. They've jacked up the price on Prime, jacked up the free shipping minimum, Amazon Video is still a pale imitation of Netflix (High Castle was ok, but hardly something I'd be willing to pay for), they now charge tax where I am, and Best Buy will pricematch them. There is no benefit to Amazon over Best Buy for me.

See ya. Best Buy is way easier.
Zero wait? At Best Buy?!? I need to go to your store. I love love love GCU, but 50+% of the time, there is one person at customer service and they have a line backed up because they can't figure out what they're doing.

BB's customer service is better than only Dunkin Donuts'.

Zero wait? At Best Buy?!? I need to go to your store. I love love love GCU, but 50+% of the time, there is one person at customer service and they have a line backed up because they can't figure out what they're doing.

BB's customer service is better than only Dunkin Donuts'.
My local BB store did a refresh a few months ago where they split in-store pickup to a separate CS counter and that has made in-store pickups into a much quicker process.

Actually, maybe they're not. But Amazon is obviously doing everything they can to convert customers to Prime. And I think they're ok with losing small customers in exchange for getting a lot more money out of newly converted Prime members.
but what do they consider a small customer? I spent around $1500 at Amazon last year, and I know I would've spent more if they hadn't also started blocking non-Prime customers from buying popular items

I like the 20% videogame discount they now offer with Prime, but what good is it when you only have a few minutes to preorder games like Fire Emblem?

bread's done
Back