PSA - program terms to My Best Buy effective 8/28 - Points nuked in half for regular people, Elites losing the .1 bonus

LOL @ all these folks saying prices at Best Buy are too damn high. 95% of what they sell, not including the store brand electronics, is sold somewhere else that they price match.
Why would anyone bother price matching if there's no incentive to do so versus just buying it at the vendor they're matching against?

This thread is a waste of space , hmm just like Best Buy . They will be gone soon. Worst policies,customer service and employees ever have dealt with. You have to be out of your mind to buy anything that has any moving part at this ahole of the world store.

im shocked best buy is not gone..

i ordered a 3ds limited ed game (the 7th dragon thing) box came crushed and they go we will give you 15 buck gift card for the damage... 3 weeks past and i never got the gift card.. so i call them back up and they go since you did not get the gift card and for making you call back we will give you a 50 buck gift card allow up to 2 weeks to get it.... 2 weeks came and went and nothing. Called up they said the 50 card was still processing but they would ask for the 15 one as well.. Told them why the 50 is more then i paid and they go dont worry about it

2 days later i get the 50 buck card ... yesterday i got the 15 buck card.. So spend 35 bucks for the game and got 65 bucks in gift cards lol

so mostly free game + 30

Why would anyone bother price matching if there's no incentive to do so versus just buying it at the vendor they're matching against?
No? Incentive? Sooooo, did they get rid of the program altogether? Don't you still get points for purchases, even if you get less now than before? I agree, the recent changes they've made to the MyBestBuy program suck but it's still the best (only?) game in town.

EDIT - Also, being able to retrieve my receipt from in-store and from online at any time is a great benefit. More retailers are starting to offer this, but Best Buy has been doing it for years.

This thread is a waste of space , hmm just like Best Buy . They will be gone soon. Worst policies,customer service and employees ever have dealt with. You have to be out of your mind to buy anything that has any moving part at this ahole of the world store.
Replace Best Buy with GameStop and that is every other post in the Collector's Edition thread. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a FREE rewards program, why are people "bitching" about a program that reward customers and cost no money. I can't name any other retailer that offers this type of benefit. On top of GCU, this is simply an icing on the cake.

The people that are "bitching" are more likely paid trolls working for a competitor. You know who you are. Ever since Best Buy step up to the plate, life been tough for you guys.
GameStop technically rewards customers with points for purchases and shit, but it's nowhere near Best Buy's level. I think Staples and CVS does in a way that's more comparable, but that's all I can think of aside from maybe Ibotta.

But I agree with Mr. Bong. Yeah, it sucks, but it's still the best game in town. Maybe not as "the best" as it used to be since Amazon's stepped it up a little, but until they fuck with my 20% off everything forever, price matching and pre-order certs, I'm not about to swear off Best Buy. I just hope they keep the certs in general, maybe they could make the credit card rewards better in exchange for the point reduction (someone mentioned Amazon has a pretty good rewards card)?

Anyone who matters already knew.
giphy.gif

I like when people say they want a business to shut down. Because the best thing for consumers is less competition.
And most of the people saying that in this thread are Amazon supporters. Who do they think Amazon is price matching for a lot of their lower prices? Not to mention they would instantly stop their 20% off video game preorder/new release program because guess what, they are matching Best Buy for that too (though a lesser version of Best Buy's GCU which doesn't have the limitations Amazon's does).

No? Incentive? Sooooo, did they get rid of the program altogether? Don't you still get points for purchases, even if you get less now than before? I agree, the recent changes they've made to the MyBestBuy program suck but it's still the best (only?) game in town.

EDIT - Also, being able to retrieve my receipt from in-store and from online at any time is a great benefit. More retailers are starting to offer this, but Best Buy has been doing it for years.

Replace Best Buy with GameStop and that is every other post in the Collector's Edition thread. :D
It's the principle of the matter. Call me crazy, but I will opt out of the Rewards program altogether rather than keep using this mutilated one. Here's a crazy idea, Best Buy. Next time you have a policy change, how about making it help your loyal customers, rather than making it fuck us in the ass?

It's the principle of the matter. Call me crazy, but I will opt out of the Rewards program altogether rather than keep using this mutilated one. Here's a crazy idea, Best Buy. Next time you have a policy change, how about making it help your loyal customers, rather than making it fuck us in the ass?
good news, you dont have to participate in the program.

1. Membership Cancellation
  2. You may cancel your membership in the Program at any time by e-mail or phone (1-888-BEST BUY).
    If your membership is canceled (either by you or by Best Buy), you will forfeit any remaining points.

If your account has a negative points balance, we may immediately cancel or reverse any or all outstanding points as well as issued reward certificates.

We may not issue you any reward certificate(s) if we terminate your account because of conduct that we determine, in our discretion, violates these Terms or any applicable law, involves fraud or misuse of Program membership, or is harmful to our interests or another customer. We also reserve the right to deny future membership if we deem your conduct to violate these Terms.

Our failure to insist upon or enforce your strict compliance with these Terms will not constitute a waiver of any of our rights.

I like when people say they want a business to shut down. Because the best thing for consumers is less competition.
haha tell me about it. I guess people don't realize that if the B&M places go out of buiness then Amazon can charge whatever they want.

And most of the people saying that in this thread are Amazon supporters. Who do they think Amazon is price matching for a lot of their lower prices? Not to mention they would instantly stop their 20% off video game preorder/new release program because guess what, they are matching Best Buy for that too (though a lesser version of Best Buy's GCU which doesn't have the limitations Amazon's does).
Thank you, swear AMZ supporters are just really stupid. Most of the ones I talk to are like AMZ have the cheapest prices. I'm like if it ends in a .96 then they are PM'ing Walmart you moron. And we all know Amazon is just the kings of PM'ing. Rarely anymore do they have a good deal unless someone else has it and then they steal it. Not only that but they got rid of the report a lower price button as well. So now you can't even report a lower price for then to PM. haha Amazon is trash.

so YOU were the one who put them stupid spider web security things on my CE's.... :shame:

on another note, im stuck w/ GCU til 2020 >_> bleh
I'm sorry for your loss. Lol, and they are actually called Spider wraps first of all! and 2nd, if you knew how to spider wrap them properly it wouldn't damage the product at all. I used to work in gaming and tried my hardest not to damage any of the games. However, I can't say that for the rest of the employees that wrap them. Most of them aren't even gamers so they could care less how tight they wrap them... :'(

haha tell me about it. I guess people don't realize that if the B&M places go out of buiness then Amazon can charge whatever they want.
Exactly. That's why Amazon has been foregoing some short term profits to increase their reach to reduce competition.

Can't figure out what's funnier in here.  The Best Buy fanboys, Best Buy haters, and now the butthurt Amazon haters.  Leaning towards the fanboys.  

I knew this day would come, I said to myself when they dropped to $30 for GCU a few years ago, "They're gonna do something to mess with this aren't they?" I honestly don't really care, I just get my games the cheapest I can get them at. I've only spent $250 at BB this year, that's it. Still getting 20% off games? Yes? Then we're good then. I don't come by alot of certs anyway.

It is strange but I purchased two items at 15.99 and tax, one befor and one after the change. I got more points after the change. It displays differently then it used to. I think they are adding the points for eliteplus into the base points or bonus and not listing them seperately like they used to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even before this happened I quickly realized that Target has a better program than this. You get 5% off every purchase with the red card and don't have to worry about redeeming a gift certificate.

Even before this happened I quickly realized that Target has a better program than this. You get 5% off every purchase with the red card and don't have to worry about redeeming a gift certificate.
And don't forget, they also price match.

If you have the credit card sure, otherwise, unless you're buying laptops for disadvantaged youths, it doesn't make any sense to be dropping 3,500 in cash a year at BB.
If you have the BB Visa you only need to put $3500 per year on the card ANYWHERE. So you don't need to spend $3500 at BB. So yes, it is pretty easy. I hardly use the card except for the last 3-4 months of the year. Then I charge everything on it and pay it off in full every month. No problem.

It is strange but I purchased two items at 15.99 and tax, one befor and one after the change. I got more points after the change. It displays differently then it used to. I think they are adding the points for eliteplus into the base points or bonus and not listing them seperately like they used to.
This is exactly what seems to be happening to me as well, the Elite Plus bonus is being added to the Base Points. Even better, the GCU double bonus is off of the Base/Elite Plus total, so you're basically getting the Elite Plus bonus twice with a GCU eligible purchase.

This is exactly what seems to be happening to me as well, the Elite Plus bonus is being added to the Base Points. Even better, the GCU double bonus is off of the Base/Elite Plus total, so you're basically getting the Elite Plus bonus twice with a GCU eligible purchase.
Noice. Have to see how long that continues on for.

So did they decide to hand out free Elite upgrades to make up for this? Because I logged into my account today to burn some old gift cards, and suddenly I have Elite status even though I'm nowhere near $1500 spent for the year.

Every place is getting severely cheap(er) lately. This shit with Best Buy, Amazon changing their Prime shipping policies on certain things by classifying them as "add-on" items (although this has been in effect for a good while now), Wal-Mart practically neutering their Site to Store program and now refusing to comp competitors and eBay/Paypal - well, they get worse all the time so no surprises there.

bread's done
Back