PSA: Spend your leftover Gamestop credit ASAP

The real problem/issue: Gamestop is on the bottom of just about everyone's list if it resorts to buying online-only. The only insurance we had with their used stock was that we could exchange it in-store if needed. With that option gone, NO ONE will be choosing their garbage garage sale mystery selection over Amazon or eBay for used games.
Thank you, gentlefolk.

If you think about it, if more and more states go into lockdown (and stay in lockdown), the selection of used games for sale online will begin to dry up across all markets, except those that accept through-the-mail game trades. Prices could see a spike across the board.

Of course Gamestop's closure could lead to everyone sending their trade-ins to Amazon themselves so they could end up accidentally becoming a much larger force in the used game market.

As terrible as this situation is, there are always (ethical) methods of altering business models to fit the situation. Lots of the Youtube fitness folk are quickly putting out home, equipmentless workouts; the digital marketplaces seem to wisely be rolling out sales to grab attention.

We're in quarantine, it's awful, but that means the economy now largely shifts to internet-based models. We can make this work while still supporting (and not exploiting) each other, and creep carefully toward the light at the end of the tunnel.

Gamestop can absolutely make this work for them as well. The question is : will they?

I don't see how Gamestop can make this work if their stores close, because they're in an uncomfortable middleground between the digital stores, amazon, and ebay.

If I want risk-free, instant shopping I buy digital games straight from the stores.

If I want fast-shipping or a huge selection, I buy Amazon.

If I want the cheapest prices, I buy Ebay or sometimes Amazon.

Gamestop's shipping cost sucks, 35 dollar minimum to get long-ass shipping? The only time they ever compete with Ebay is on old preowned titles...

Shit luck for them... in a time when people are told to stay indoors and could prob be playing a lot of games, GS can't take trades (a key source of inventory) or sell anything in most places. 

I don't feel too bad though... been screwed by their shit CS at least a few times the past 6 months. It sucks that if they do go under, I have 100K in pts I have to use that I'd lose but whatever. 

Shit luck for them... in a time when people are told to stay indoors and could prob be playing a lot of games, GS can't take trades (a key source of inventory) or sell anything in most places.

I don't feel too bad though... been screwed by their shit CS at least a few times the past 6 months. It sucks that if they do go under, I have 100K in pts I have to use that I'd lose but whatever.
They are closing storefront locations not already closed, starting this Sunday, the 22nd. They're going to be in a world of hurt after this outbreak...

http://news.gamestop.com/news-releases/news-release-details/gamestop-provides-us-store-operations-and-customer-service

Last edited by a moderator:
I predict Gamestop will be gone by 2021 at the latest. They are bleeding money hard right now even before the Coronavirus hit. It's going to be far worse for them with having to completely shut down stores in some areas and curbside only for the rest which will turn a lot of people away who want to walk in and browse. And going by my last few times going to Gamestop when I see more space in an already small space devoted for Funko Pops and stuffed Pokemon toys... their days are numbered.

nagatoro-anime-laugh.gif

bread's done
Back