PSN Penny Arcade Episodes 1 & 2 $14.99 BUNDLE

I have never played a penny arcade game. What is it really like or all about? Is it like those old style adventure games? I read about it a long time ago, but was never going to pay full price for them.

Come on Microsoft.. Match this! Good Deal for you PS3 folk. :) The Penny Arcade games are episodic RPGs. Download a demo and give it a try as it's not for everyone, but I like it.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']Come on Microsoft.. Match this! Good Deal for you PS3 folk. :) The Penny Arcade games are episodic RPGs. Download a demo and give it a try as it's not for everyone, but I like it.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind your talking about Micro$oft LMAO

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']Come on Microsoft.. Match this! Good Deal for you PS3 folk. :) The Penny Arcade games are episodic RPGs. Download a demo and give it a try as it's not for everyone, but I like it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']Keep in mind your talking about Micro$oft LMAO[/QUOTE]

lol yeah don't hold your breath Microsoft sells its Games on demand for more than the actual disc versions, it boggles the mind

[quote name='Strell']$5 on Steam. Get them there instead.[/QUOTE]

Misleading!! its $10 on steam. $5 each.

5 bucks more on PSN, but I'm tempted to go with it. Any notice on when the sale ends?

i bought these 2 on PSN some time ago.. both very enjoyable. simple game, but great humorous writing (as expected from PA)

beware the fruit fuckers!

[quote name='dohmai']i bought these 2 on PSN some time ago.. both very enjoyable. simple game, but great humorous writing (as expected from PA)

beware the fruit fuckers![/QUOTE]

What's the control schematic like? Is it a game that would be better played with a mouse?

Thanks.

$3 instead of $15 if you go in on a PSN CAG gameshare. I don't remember the past time I paid full price on PS3 based PSN content (still pay full price for PSP as game sharing doesn't work)

[quote name='iamthekiller']$3 instead of $15 if you go in on a PSN CAG gameshare. I don't remember the past time I paid full price on PS3 based PSN content (still pay full price for PSP as game sharing doesn't work)[/QUOTE]

The concept is great, but what if in the future, that Gameshared account is deleted. Then you've paid for all this content you can't redownload. I'd much rather pay full price knowing full well I own the content forever, regardless of whether or not I have to buy a new system or get my system replaced.

Also (sadly I might add), human nature is that people will try to screw you. Now if someone wanted to pay me $200 or more to access the 30 plus games I've bought, then I'm all for it. Otherwise, I pass.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']The concept is great, but what if in the future, that Gameshared account is deleted. Then you've paid for all this content you can't redownload. I'd much rather pay full price knowing full well I own the content forever, regardless of whether or not I have to buy a new system or get my system replaced.

Also (sadly I might add), human nature is that people will try to screw you. Now if someone wanted to pay me $200 or more to access the 30 plus games I've bought, then I'm all for it. Otherwise, I pass.[/QUOTE]

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

does episode 1 and 2 tell complete stories, or are more episodes to be expected? in which case I will wait to buy this to buy all the games in a bundle in the future...

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.[/QUOTE]

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Maybe you need to think about the math or understand gamesharing. As long as you don't purposely delete the download account or destroy your PS3, you have the game for good. Nobody else has the ability to delete anything or cause you to lose the game. If you should need to replace your PS3, you can buy the game again FOUR more times in other gameshares for the same price of buying full price.

Buy a PSN release for $15 so you could re-download until you drop dead, or own it through a gameshare for $3. What would a cheap ass gamer do?

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']
Also (sadly I might add), human nature is that people will try to screw you. Now if someone wanted to pay me $200 or more to access the 30 plus games I've bought, then I'm all for it. Otherwise, I pass.[/QUOTE]

This means you really aren't familar with gamesharing. For each game, you join a new PSN account with just one or a few games and that temporary account is shared, not your actual account with tons of games. Nobody ever shares their own PSN login in a gameshare.

I see your point, but what if Sony suddenly decides to change it's policy, no longer allowing people to use their PSN Accounts on up to 5 systems. In other words, it's eventually going to bite you in the ass. Nothing lasts forever, and I'd much rather be able to contact Sony and say "Hey you owe me this, or I've bought all these games and you've done this" versus being someone who shared an account and being left high and dry because I couldn't complain to Sony (knowing full well they'd discover I'd gameshared).

Like I said, the concept is good, but ultimately you end up losing. It's not a matter of if, but when? I would much rather pay $15 than $3 for that very reason.

Well the same thing can be argued against downloadable content in general. The servers will be shut down someday and eventually your console has to die. Like you said, nothing lasts forever. It's not like you'll be able to play all these games 10 years from now and people who gameshared won't, cause nobody is gonna be able to play them.

I don't gameshare personally, just saying I don't think you have more to gain by not doing it than someone that does.

[quote name='iamthekiller']Wrong, wrong, wrong. Maybe you need to think about the math or understand gamesharing. As long as you don't purposely delete the download account or destroy your PS3, you have the game for good. Nobody else has the ability to delete anything or cause you to lose the game. If you should need to replace your PS3, you can buy the game again FOUR more times in other gameshares for the same price of buying full price.

Buy a PSN release for $15 so you could re-download until you drop dead, or own it through a gameshare for $3. What would a cheap ass gamer do?[/QUOTE]

This response makes a key faulty assumption and that is that you have control over the PSN account. If you complete control, then no problem. If, like you said, it's shared, what's to stop someone from taking it over and changing the password? Therefore, you're screwed.

As for joining other gameshares, that assumes people still want whatever old game you're trying to replace.

I'd rather spend the extra few bucks (I usually wait for sales like these anyways) to know that the game is mine, and only mine.

Played the Penny Arcade demo for episode 1 when it was first released. Let me tell you, it was oodles of fun... OODLES. I'll be picking this up.

[quote name='GeoHolyhart']Played the Penny Arcade demo for episode 1 when it was first released. Let me tell you, it was oodles of fun... OODLES. I'll be picking this up.[/QUOTE]

Yet another reason why "gamesharing" is a bad thing. Companies should be rewarded for the products they release, and anyone who doesn't feel these two games are worth $14.99 combined are beyond CAG's. They're greedy!

Great game. Played them a while back on the PS3. The following are my impressions.

The controls are simple for an RPG. You make your character. There are no random battles since you see all the enemies on screen. You battle to the point where you reach bosses. You solve some challenging puzzles. You level up. Pretty typical and straight up.

If I recall correctly, the battle system is real time. Not complicated at all. I found the 1st episode a lot more challenging.

The real draw of these games are the art style and the script. The art is cool and funny looking. They do remind me of comic book illustrations from early 90s. The script is just straight up hilarious and not meant for children (no voice acting, so beware if children are reading along as you play).

And yes... beware of the fruit bangers. :applause:

I'm just waiting for the next episode... hurry up guys, its been a while!

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']Yet another reason why "gamesharing" is a bad thing. Companies should be rewarded for the products they release, and anyone who doesn't feel these two games are worth $14.99 combined are beyond CAG's. They're greedy![/QUOTE]

I agree and disagree with you. The gamer in me agrees that developers should reap the rewards of a finely crafted game. However, the cheapass in me feels that any avenue to legally acquire a game for cheaper should be taken. Cause hell, if someone found a deal where someone could share any game from Wal-mart for four people with no additional cost, it'd be deal of the century.

Anywho, as tempting as it'd be to get all the PA episodes on one console (I currently have Ep 2 on 360 and Ep 1 on pc), I think I may just wait for the inevitable compilation whenever they wrap everything up.

[quote name='killer ladoo']does episode 1 and 2 tell complete stories, or are more episodes to be expected? in which case I will wait to buy this to buy all the games in a bundle in the future...[/QUOTE]

they are complete stories but each is part of the bigger story arc

your character carries over

the controls are pretty simple on console.. navigate and hit attack/item buttons, etc. when your time fills up.. as i recall anyway

pretty straightforward game, but there are some collectibles and trophies that lengthen the game a bit

Veerrryy. Tempted. It's not so much that I don't think it's a good deal. I just don't know if I'll ever get around to playing it. Waaayyy backed up on games I need to play.

[quote name='Salamando3000']I agree and disagree with you. The gamer in me agrees that developers should reap the rewards of a finely crafted game. However, the cheapass in me feels that any avenue to legally acquire a game for cheaper should be taken. Cause hell, if someone found a deal where someone could share any game from Wal-mart for four people with no additional cost, it'd be deal of the century.[/QUOTE]

I think the main distinction is between services and goods. People basically never tip someone when they are acquiring goods from them. However, we almost always tip them if they are performing a service. I think it has a lot to do with knowing where you money is going. When someone gives you a service, you can give your money directly to them. However, when buying a good, there is typically that buffer retailer buffer between you and the creator.

So if the guys from Penny Arcade came to you house and did a live show for you for free, I bet we all would toss them something for what they did. Whereas if we see their products at a store, we certainly aren't going to give them to Wal-Mart. And as along as it is presented in that retail environment, we won't think to give them any more than we have to.

[quote name='dohmai']they are complete stories but each is part of the bigger story arc

your character carries over

the controls are pretty simple on console.. navigate and hit attack/item buttons, etc. when your time fills up.. as i recall anyway

pretty straightforward game, but there are some collectibles and trophies that lengthen the game a bit[/QUOTE]
thanks for answering my question dohmai!

[quote name='gettinmoney662']This response makes a key faulty assumption and that is that you have control over the PSN account. If you complete control, then no problem. If, like you said, it's shared, what's to stop someone from taking it over and changing the password? Therefore, you're screwed.

As for joining other gameshares, that assumes people still want whatever old game you're trying to replace.

I'd rather spend the extra few bucks (I usually wait for sales like these anyways) to know that the game is mine, and only mine.[/QUOTE]

If somebody "takes over" the one-time-use PSN account and changes the password, it has absolutely no effect on the game you downloaded already. The PSN account is used once to download the game, never again. You always log into your regular PSN account to play the games that you downloaded through other PSN accounts. Check out the CAG PSN thread for more info on how it really works. It's basically 80% every PSN title.

I purchase 10x more PSN content because it's 80% off, so the developers definitely get their share.

thanks op...i ended up buying this, the humor and overall presentation seem too cool to pass up. even though episode 3 seems to be in limbo -- partly because hothead games is focused on making deathspank -- i've read that it will come out at some point.

some also think that all four episodes will be released on a disc one day...something to think about for those that enjoy owning hard copies of their games.

[quote name='iamthekiller']If somebody "takes over" the one-time-use PSN account and changes the password, it has absolutely no effect on the game you downloaded already. The PSN account is used once to download the game, never again. You always log into your regular PSN account to play the games that you downloaded through other PSN accounts. Check out the CAG PSN thread for more info on how it really works. It's basically 80% every PSN title.

I purchase 10x more PSN content because it's 80% off, so the developers definitely get their share.[/QUOTE]

The only problem I have with Gamesharing is exactly what you've just highlighted. The devs aren't getting the money their publisher/marketing department expects. It's akin to piracy in that there are X amount of people playing it that didn't pay. Because the numbers are tallied for accounts that own it. So exponentially, you could have another 3-4 more sales that game could have gotten. Which could mean more great games from that dev.

Obviously it's not piracy but for the sake of counting sales to people who are playing it, it's similar.

I'd rather give them the money, or not play it at all. I know its Sony's official policy to allow gamesharing (or at least was something said in a press release once). But it just feels like you're short changing the developers to me which is why I personally don't support/use it.

But have fun with it while it lasts. Just know that abusing of a good thing usually leads to that good thing disappearing.

Just think, if the game sold to all those people who have game shared it, maybe the third would have been out by now? :p

Definitely will get this. I tried the demo on PC awhile back, but I think the game was $19.99 for one episode back then which I thought was a little pricey. But I did enjoy the demo.

[quote name='Nameless One']The only problem I have with Gamesharing is exactly what you've just highlighted. The devs aren't getting the money their publisher/marketing department expects. It's akin to piracy in that there are X amount of people playing it that didn't pay. Because the numbers are tallied for accounts that own it. So exponentially, you could have another 3-4 more sales that game could have gotten. Which could mean more great games from that dev.

Obviously it's not piracy but for the sake of counting sales to people who are playing it, it's similar.

I'd rather give them the money, or not play it at all. I know its Sony's official policy to allow gamesharing (or at least was something said in a press release once). But it just feels like you're short changing the developers to me which is why I personally don't support/use it.

But have fun with it while it lasts. Just know that abusing of a good thing usually leads to that good thing disappearing.

Just think, if the game sold to all those people who have game shared it, maybe the third would have been out by now? :p[/QUOTE]

I don't know why I'm responding because its clearly not relevant to the deal, but....

The flaw in your argument is that you're assuming that most of the people in the gameshare group would have purchased the game otherwise, which is not true.

Obviously, the policy is designed by Sony as an attempt to curb piracy while still offering the consumer some flexibility in the way that they use their content. Some people may own more than one PS3 and others will most likely own more than one over time. In addition, it cuts down on tech support calls and emails. Not everyone will remember to deactivate a system before selling it or trading it in, so this means Sony doesn't end up with angry customers wondering why their content they bought on their old PS3 won't work on their shiny new slim PS3.

This is how the system works and it is a good balance between restrictions and flexibility in my opinion. Having said that, it is up to the individual consumer to decide how they operate within those guidelines.

I'm gonna have to agree with mkernan. I have almost $400 worth of DLC. If you think I would have purchased all of that without gamesharing, you are crazy. I get more content, take some more risks, and spend more money. In comparison, on XBLA, I've spent less than $100 and I've had it for almost a year longer than my PS3, and I'm now starting to only buy games that are on sale, and even points on sale (or given away).

As for the game, I'm trying to get my gameshare group to buy it ;) The thing that's held me back is the games I hear are kind of short while also being expensive. It's like Braid I guess. No way would I have ever paid $15 for it. $8 was a better price.

[quote name='Nameless One']The only problem I have with Gamesharing is exactly what you've just highlighted. The devs aren't getting the money their publisher/marketing department expects. It's akin to piracy in that there are X amount of people playing it that didn't pay. Because the numbers are tallied for accounts that own it. So exponentially, you could have another 3-4 more sales that game could have gotten. Which could mean more great games from that dev.

Just think, if the game sold to all those people who have game shared it, maybe the third would have been out by now? :p[/QUOTE]

So you're against loaning a hard copy of a game to a friend or several friends? You're against buying a used copy or selling your own? Either way, the dev only sees one sale, but multiple people are playing it. It's not that different.

[quote name='Nameless One']The only problem I have with Gamesharing is exactly what you've just highlighted. The devs aren't getting the money their publisher/marketing department expects. It's akin to piracy in that there are X amount of people playing it that didn't pay.
[/QUOTE]

I guess it's safe to assume you don't go to the library? ;)

Game-sharing is a great, but I never do it with strangers. Only people in real life I can find if a problem ever arises (hasn't been one yet).

[quote name='iamthekiller']If somebody "takes over" the one-time-use PSN account and changes the password, it has absolutely no effect on the game you downloaded already. The PSN account is used once to download the game, never again. You always log into your regular PSN account to play the games that you downloaded through other PSN accounts. Check out the CAG PSN thread for more info on how it really works. It's basically 80% every PSN title.

I purchase 10x more PSN content because it's 80% off, so the developers definitely get their share.[/QUOTE]

I was talkin about if you needed to re-download the game for whatever reason (YLOD, bought a new system, etc.).

[quote name='Shtdummy']Does anyone know if you can get the bundle on Amazon.com? I still have a $20 psn code from them.[/QUOTE]

Not at the moment and probably not later either. Since Amazon matches these prices usually at release, there's not much chance of them matching if they haven't already done so.

[quote name='EeveeFanboy']I'm gonna have to agree with mkernan. I have almost $400 worth of DLC. If you think I would have purchased all of that without gamesharing, you are crazy. I get more content, take some more risks, and spend more money. In comparison, on XBLA, I've spent less than $100 and I've had it for almost a year longer than my PS3, and I'm now starting to only buy games that are on sale, and even points on sale (or given away).

As for the game, I'm trying to get my gameshare group to buy it ;) The thing that's held me back is the games I hear are kind of short while also being expensive. It's like Braid I guess. No way would I have ever paid $15 for it. $8 was a better price.[/QUOTE]

I see your point. However, my approach is to buy a game and share it with my friends and family. I'm not trying to get a "cut", or pay 20% of the cost of a game. I'm trying to share my love for gaming with those I care about.

For example, my father paid me $5 to download the Resident Evil add-on "Lost Nightmares". He has RE 5, but I'm able to borrow the game anytime I want to play it. Instead of him paying me another $5 for "Desperate Escape", I bought the add-on for him instead.

Yes we shared the add-ons, saving us $, but still I look at it like I didn't go out of my way to screw the developers or Sony. Also, I don't have to ever worry about not being to access the content I purchased.

Just for an "FYI", there is a massive thread at PA about the future of this series. There is a strong expectation to have a reveal and/or info for the Third game in this series at PAX East.

Oh man, good bundle. Beat both of them back-to-back and got 100% of the trophies, took me about 13-14 hours. Waaaay fun, definitely made a fan of the series now :)

[quote name='Strell']$5 on Steam. Get them there instead.[/QUOTE]

Or save your money because these games are crap.

[quote name='hpv']Or save your money because these games are crap.[/QUOTE]

You gonna flesh out that opinion or...?

I heard they were fun games.

Also, is this deal still live on PSN? I looked last weekend and couldn't find a 'bundle'. I've never bought a PSN game on Amazon.

[quote name='iamthekiller']Wrong, wrong, wrong. Maybe you need to think about the math or understand gamesharing. As long as you don't purposely delete the download account or destroy your PS3, you have the game for good. Nobody else has the ability to delete anything or cause you to lose the game. If you should need to replace your PS3, you can buy the game again FOUR more times in other gameshares for the same price of buying full price.

Buy a PSN release for $15 so you could re-download until you drop dead, or own it through a gameshare for $3. What would a cheap ass gamer do?[/QUOTE]
Maybe you need to get a clue? You realize if your PS3 breaks down, or has any problems, and you have to replace it, you won't be able to download ANY of your games because you already wasted your "5 activated systems" with other people.

And as others have said, you also run the risk of someone screwing and you taking over your account.

Gamesharing is basically exploiting/taking advantage of the PSN policies, which I would not be surprised if they changed due to piraters/stealers like yourself. It was never meant to be used like this, dishonest people like youare the problem, not the answer.

I don't have a problem paying for games, and there are decent deals quite often on PSN. Gamesharing isn't worth the risk, and I would rather support gaming than undermine it and steal titles from legitimate people making these games.

[quote name='MattVid']Maybe you need to get a clue? You realize if your PS3 breaks down, or has any problems, and you have to replace it, you won't be able to download ANY of your games because you already wasted your "5 activated systems" with other people.

And as others have said, you also run the risk of someone screwing and you taking over your account.

Gamesharing is basically exploiting/taking advantage of the PSN policies, which I would not be surprised if they changed due to piraters/stealers like yourself. It was never meant to be used like this, dishonest people like youare the problem, not the answer.

I don't have a problem paying for games, and there are decent deals quite often on PSN. Gamesharing isn't worth the risk, and I would rather support gaming than undermine it and steal titles from legitimate people making these games.[/QUOTE]

Good points about losing your account or being locked out if your system dies and you are unable to de-authorize it, you're wrong on the "piracy" bit. A few years back a Sony exec (at E3 I believe) straight out said that game sharing was an advantage of their service. Whether or not that is "official" sanctioning by Sony it's definitely unofficially official.

bread's done
Back