PSN sound Lag- Need assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watchman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Okay gang, here's my problem:

I have a 40 gig. Whenever I play anything offline, or use the menus, the sound is in perfect sync.

Whenever I play online (specificially the MGO Beta or Lost Planet online demo), the sound lags an average .5 seconds behind. This is highly annoying when you realize you're being shot... after you're dead.

My setup is that I'm using the HDMI as the sound/video connector to my flatscreen, but I have my PC audio system (which kicks ass even if it's 2.1) plugged into the headphone slot.

DVD's however work just fine.

So what's wrong? Is the online connection creating too much lag between HDMI and audio?

I don't get why offline it's perfect, but online sucks.

Have you tried unhooking your PC speaker setup and using some real speakers? Does the sound lag through your TV?

Is the HDMI running through any sort of receiver?

Do you have your PS3 set for Linear PCM or bitstream?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Have you tried unhooking your PC speaker setup and using some real speakers? Does the sound lag through your TV?

Is the HDMI running through any sort of receiver?

Do you have your PS3 set for Linear PCM or bitstream?[/quote]

1. I'll have to try with the speakers unplugged-- but they sync just fine when I'm offline gaming-- so they shouldn't be affected as such.

2. None. TV to PS3, that's it.

3. That I'll have to check. Where does one find that out in the settings?

Interesting. I suspect your TV may be doing some sort of processing through the headphone jack.

Are you on DSL or cable?

You can modify your sound settings on the xmb, under Blu-ray/DVD settings. It probably won't do you any good though if everything is fine with your playback.

Edit: Go in to your hdmi settings and pick only those that you know your TV can support. (it should auto-detect). See if this makes a difference.

Do you have an optical audio cable you can try out?

How long of a run are you using for your HDMI? I'm personally using a 50' and a 75' without any problems.

Edit again: What TV model?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Interesting. I suspect your TV may be doing some sort of processing through the headphone jack.

Are you on DSL or cable?

You can modify your sound settings on the xmb, under Blu-ray/DVD settings. It probably won't do you any good though if everything is fine with your playback.

Edit: Go in to your hdmi settings and pick only those that you know your TV can support. (it should auto-detect). See if this makes a difference.

Do you have an optical audio cable you can try out?

How long of a run are you using for your HDMI? I'm personally using a 50' and a 75' without any problems.

Edit again: What TV model?[/quote]

See, I thought that too about the headphone jack-- but it doesn't make sense that the offline works spotlessly and the online is delayed.

I'm on DSL.

I have no optical cable. Dropping $70 on my 4-foot HDMI cable was painful enough.

I also did use the auto-detect before this, and it's using 2-channel audio settings.

I have a 22" LG LCD flatscreen. I still suspect it has something to do with the HDMI and the internet connection myself.

Just a bit more information-- my connection is great (as long as the phone doesn't ring, but that hasn't affected anything but simply going offline).

[quote name='Watchman']See, I thought that too about the headphone jack-- but it doesn't make sense that the offline works spotlessly and the online is delayed.

I'm on DSL.

I have no optical cable. Dropping $70 on my 4-foot HDMI cable was painful enough.

I also did use the auto-detect before this, and it's using 2-channel audio settings.

I have a 22" LG LCD flatscreen. I still suspect it has something to do with the HDMI and the internet connection myself.

Just a bit more information-- my connection is great (as long as the phone doesn't ring, but that hasn't affected anything but simply going offline).

[/quote]

$70? Ouch. I got my 75 FOOT cable at monoprice for a little under $50.

I really think it might be handshaking issues on your display. Have you tried to google your TV model along with PS3 sound settings?

[quote name='mtxbass1']$70? Ouch. I got my 75 FOOT cable at monoprice for a little under $50.

I really think it might be handshaking issues on your display. Have you tried to google your TV model along with PS3 sound settings?[/quote]

Well, it's a monster cable, their midrange level. I figure go all-out, I can use it in the future. Anyways...

I can barely find the damn model of my tv as is on the web without adding "PS3" to it.
LG made it last year, but for whatever reason, it barely even exists anymore when it comes to info, even on their own site.

In fact, I've just discovered through a discussion on a forum that the LG 22LC2D (my tv) was made exclusively for Best Buy (where I picked it up open box). LG doesn't even list it on their site.

[quote name='Watchman']Well, it's a monster cable, their midrange level. I figure go all-out, I can use it in the future. Anyways...

I can barely find the damn model of my tv as is on the web without adding "PS3" to it.
LG made it last year, but for whatever reason, it barely even exists anymore when it comes to info, even on their own site.

In fact, I've just discovered through a discussion on a forum that the LG 22LC2D (my tv) was made exclusively for Best Buy (where I picked it up open box). LG doesn't even list it on their site.[/quote]

Are there any firmware updates for your TV?

[quote name='Watchman']Well, it's a monster cable, their midrange level. I figure go all-out, I can use it in the future.[/quote]
It's digital. It works, or it doesn't. There is no in-between.

[quote name='naes']It's digital. It works, or it doesn't. There is no in-between.[/quote]

Well, I find it hard to believe that the cable doesn't work, since everything offline works in perfect sync with the sound-- this includes the menus, the DVD playback, and even games.

My guess is that there's a setting or something that the PS3 can't process between getting the data for image and sound once it goes online.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Are there any firmware updates for your TV?[/quote]

Sadly no.
I say no, because the LG site doesn't even list the darn thing. Which is a little disconcerting-- but again, it was a BB exclusive model-- still no excuse why it shouldn't be though.

How does one upgrade firmware on a TV anyways? That sounds odd.

Oh by the way-- I tried your suggestion of unplugging the stereo system-- it still doesn't have sync sound, so that eliminates the handshaking theory.

[quote name='Watchman']

How does one upgrade firmware on a TV anyways? That sounds odd.

Oh by the way-- I tried your suggestion of unplugging the stereo system-- it still doesn't have sync sound, so that eliminates the handshaking theory.[/quote]

You can upgrade my tv's firmware via the USB slot.

Have you tried the cables that came with the PS3?

[quote name='mtxbass1']You can upgrade my tv's firmware via the USB slot.

Have you tried the cables that came with the PS3?[/quote]

Ah, good point. Sometimes the solutions are so simple... I will give that a shot tonight when I get home...

Well, as it turns out, it had absolutely nothing to do with the cable, the connections, or anything of the sort. Even though at one point I had removed the check mark, the audio settings had 5.1 as an option still active. Once I removed it and started the game, I had the desired perfect sync.

I hate it when things are this simple.

[quote name='Watchman']Well, as it turns out, it had absolutely nothing to do with the cable, the connections, or anything of the sort. Even though at one point I had removed the check mark, the audio settings had 5.1 as an option still active. Once I removed it and started the game, I had the desired perfect sync.

I hate it when things are this simple.[/quote]

:lol:

congrats on figuring it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back