PSN Video store finally here + FREE Charlie's Angels download [CAN]

Cthulhu8u

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
OMG finally on Canada Day! How long since this thing's existed, and now it crawls north. If the price is right, this will save me trips to BBV. Now I can stare at PSN instead and complain how there's nothing to rent :)

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/18/playstation-video-store-coming-to-canada-on-july-1/

* FREE code for Charlie's Angels SD movie download if you visit the Video Store between July 1-14.

Visit the video service on the PlayStation®Store through a registered PlayStation®Network account before 11:59 PM ET on 7/14/10 and receive a download or stream of Charlie's Angels in Standard Definition at no charge.

Valid in Canada only. One download or stream per registered PlayStation®Network account. Free PlayStation®Network user account required and user responsible for Internet fees. Eligible visitors will receive a unique code via their registered email account which is redeemable on the PlayStation®Store for Charlie's Angels in SD. Email containing the code will be delivered within 10 business days of a qualifying visit. Code expires on September 30, 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
i haven't used Xbox when it got a video update so all i can say is. are you thinking about Netflex cause if so that's not what we are getting were getting Sony's Store Video Store not the netflex part. if i am wrong i appologize.

[quote name='JamesSoprano']i haven't used Xbox when it got a video update so all i can say is. are you thinking about Netflex cause if so that's not what we are getting were getting Sony's Store Video Store not the netflex part. if i am wrong i appologize.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know. I'd LOVE netflix though.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Yeah, I know. I'd LOVE netflix though.[/QUOTE]

That won't happen because that's an American company. The best chance of something like happening would be from zip.ca which is owned by Rogers.

and all internet provider in Quebec have ratios
that's so gay

Bell Fibe 25 had a 20gigs ratio until last month... I mean wtf... it's 100gb now
I'm on Videotron 50mbit and I have a 125gig ratio this is ridiculous

[quote name='PuppetDoctor']That won't happen because that's an American company. The best chance of something like happening would be from zip.ca which is owned by Rogers.[/QUOTE]
Oh I'm aware. I just think Netflix should be trying to break into other countries since there's a damn good opportunity to make money. However, I'm sure there are plenty of laws and such that make it extremely difficult.

[quote name='foxmcloud']and all internet provider in Quebec have ratios
that's so gay

Bell Fibe 25 had a 20gigs ratio until last month... I mean wtf... it's 100gb now
I'm on Videotron 50mbit and I have a 125gig ratio this is ridiculous[/QUOTE]

Don't complain that is pretty good. My bandwith limit from the lovely company Rogers is 95GB. I am 99% of the time alright with that since my usage is always around 60GB per month but that is only because I don't download/stream very much to not at all because of the limit.

Also I have zip.ca where I get my movies from and they come within a day so this service is useless but I am glad Sony finally didn't forget about Canada.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Oh I'm aware. I just think Netflix should be trying to break into other countries since there's a damn good opportunity to make money. However, I'm sure there are plenty of laws and such that make it extremely difficult.[/QUOTE]

Well since zip.ca is owned by Rogers I am sure they would have something to say if Netflix tried to break into Canada. Plus we have a nice little organization known as the "CRTC" who would love to make some trouble for Netflix probably.

I had a 3 year contract with Bellnet for unlimited, no caps. The contract has run out and I have no clue what my service is now, I tried to find out online but they won't let me log into any sort of user interface to check my bandwidth. I'm not particularly pleased with Bell's bandwidth throttling, is Rogers any better? Like I could be downloading something at a lower speed than my max via torrent and I can't even load a single web page in Firefox. Crazy. I don't want to call them cause I read that if you got grandfathered into an unlimited service plan and talk to them they'll make you switch.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Oh I'm aware. I just think Netflix should be trying to break into other countries since there's a damn good opportunity to make money. However, I'm sure there are plenty of laws and such that make it extremely difficult.[/QUOTE]

I think I read somewhere that it actually is Canada's restrictive laws that keeps services like Netflix from expanding up north here. It's the same types of laws that kept Bell and Rogers (mostly) and all their subsidiaries in power in the cell phone industry and giving us the illusion of choice (between Koodo, Fido, etc). But now we have WIND, Mobilicity and Publix and more to come.

I'm sure that newfound freedom has set the precedent on other services to kill the CRTC's iron grip on shit (with the PSN Video Store coming and all).

Maybe I can finally use the digital copy of District 9. When I contacted Sony support to tell them the code doesn't work I get the response, "Oh you can't use that Canadian PSN code (which won't work on American PSN accounts) because we haven't started the service in your region we hope to address this problem in the future"

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I had a 3 year contract with Bellnet for unlimited, no caps. The contract has run out and I have no clue what my service is now, I tried to find out online but they won't let me log into any sort of user interface to check my bandwidth. I'm not particularly pleased with Bell's bandwidth throttling, is Rogers any better? Like I could be downloading something at a lower speed than my max via torrent and I can't even load a single web page in Firefox. Crazy. I don't want to call them cause I read that if you got grandfathered into an unlimited service plan and talk to them they'll make you switch.[/QUOTE]

Rogers is no better. I went to check if I went over my limit two days ago since I knew I was close for this past month and as usual it tells me they are having "technical difficulties" on their site which happens every single day. They also throttle your internet too.

In the past before I signed up to Bellnet I only got badly throttled if I was uploading at the max upload speed. Now I can have my upload capped to half or less of what it's capable of and still unable to load a web page while downloading via torrent. If Rogers is just as bad I'll stick with what I have now.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']In the past before I signed up to Bellnet I only got badly throttled if I was uploading at the max upload speed. Now I can have my upload capped to half or less of what it's capable of and still unable to load a web page while downloading via torrent. If Rogers is just as bad I'll stick with what I have now.[/QUOTE]

Well as much as I hate Rogers they are not that terrible. I don't use torrents very often (maybe only use it once a week) but I never have it where I can't get a web page to load or can't get a Youtube video to load. I find though on Sunday evenings they throttle it very badly where Youtube videos won't even load very quickly.

My Rogers works fine, but isn't it dependent on your area's usage? At least that's how it used to be, if everone in your 'hood is using a ton of bandwidth, it affects you also. I'm in a pretty new area, so far, so good. I had Bell before and it definitely sucked.

[quote name='dancrane212']Maybe I can finally use the digital copy of District 9. When I contacted Sony support to tell them the code doesn't work I get the response, "Oh you can't use that Canadian PSN code (which won't work on American PSN accounts) because we haven't started the service in your region we hope to address this problem in the future"[/QUOTE]

I think some Blu-Ray digital copies have to be enabled before a certain date, or else you can't use it. At least the Sony ones do.
This does bring up a good point though, now I finally buy Sony BR's with digital copies and actually use it with my PSP.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']My Rogers works fine, but isn't it dependent on your area's usage? At least that's how it used to be, if everone in your 'hood is using a ton of bandwidth, it affects you also. I'm in a pretty new area, so far, so good. I had Bell before and it definitely sucked.
[/QUOTE]

That is true that it does depend on the usage in your area (especially if you live in a condo or an apartment). I live in a condo so that may be part of the problem when my internet speed drops at times to snails on square wheels.

However, it has been proven that Rogers and Bell do throttle the internet during high peak times i.e. around 4pm in the afternoon etc. Once I had a download on PSN going for a demo and it was I believe 7XXMB and it told me it would take 4hrs (this was around 4pm on a weekday). Well the dumb download failed miserably so I re-downloaded it again that same night around 10pm and it took me about 30min to download only.

[quote name='RoganSarine']Curiously, what the heck is all this WIND hype? Is someone new building cell towers in canada?[/QUOTE]

The CND government recently (read: like 6 months ago I think?) opened up Canadian airwaves to outside companies. So WIND and such are coming in which is why you're seeing unlimited talk & text for $45, we haven't had that since 10+ years ago because Rogers/Bell have been ripping us off royally and we just bent over and took it.

Well the whole reason I'm on Bell is cause I used to have Rogers internet and then one day they called me on the phone to let me know I was downloading too much. I asked them if there was a limit and they said no, there was no limit, it's unlimited. I said then how am I downloading too much? They said you just are. I said give me a ballpark, what's the range, if there's a limit give me some kind of guidelines. They said there is no limit, you are downloading too much. I said fine I'll switch to Bell and they said great. I've hated them ever since then, but I have their HDTV cause I don't want to deal with a satellite dish. Rogers!! I was downloading way more back then, don't do much of it these days and their download caps are very specific on their website now so I'm considering switching back.

[quote name='kathos']The CND government recently (read: like 6 months ago I think?) opened up Canadian airwaves to outside companies. So WIND and such are coming in which is why you're seeing unlimited talk & text for $45, we haven't had that since 10+ years ago because Rogers/Bell have been ripping us off royally and we just bent over and took it.[/QUOTE]
Some of us pay less than half of that. Here's a hint, know a teacher or a real estate broker? They get the best cell phone plans. :cool:

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Well the whole reason I'm on Bell is cause I used to have Rogers internet and then one day they called me on the phone to let me know I was downloading too much. I asked them if there was a limit and they said no, there was no limit, it's unlimited. I said then how am I downloading too much? They said you just are. I said give me a ballpark, what's the range, if there's a limit give me some kind of guidelines. They said there is no limit, you are downloading too much. I said fine I'll switch to Bell and they said great. I've hated them ever since then, but I have their HDTV cause I don't want to deal with a satellite dish. Rogers!! I was downloading way more back then, don't do much of it these days and their download caps are very specific on their website now so I'm considering switching back.[/QUOTE]

Well that is Rogers for you a bunch of jerks -_-.

Their website is specific on how much your bandwith is at when they update it (which is usually the next day sometime in the afternoon) when their website actually WORKS!

[quote name='Azumangaman']Anyone know if its instant streaming like the 360? If so this would be incredible.[/QUOTE]

Well, when you start downloading one of the videos off PSN it allows you to start playing right away while you're downloading it. So I'm guessing this will be the same.

I'd be all over this if there were no bandwidth caps. But I always have to think twice before downloading any big files now. 60Gigs a month sounds like a lot for some, but to others, its actually not that much.

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']I'd be all over this if there were no bandwidth caps. But I always have to think twice before downloading any big files now. 60Gigs a month sounds like a lot for some, but to others, its actually not that much.[/QUOTE]

Techsavvy!

Okay here's an example of Bell throttling me. I'm downloading a torrent right now at 480KB/s and uploading at only 8KB/s and I can't load a webpage. If I'm lucky it will eventually finish loading a single page after about 1 minute, otherwise it times out. This is crazy, my max upload is like 80 and download over 600, shouldn't it only be throttling me when I'm at the higher end of those ranges or at least the high end of the upload speed? I thought that was how it worked. If I pause the torrent my web browser loading speed immediately returns to normal.

[quote name='kathos']Techsavvy![/QUOTE]

actually its teksavvy, but plus one from me
I have it and its amazing
I have the DSL tho
And they just came out with unlimited cable internet, which is unheard of (in Windsor that is)
$54 a month for unlimited cable internet, only 12 more than the dsl...

[quote name='kathos']Techsavvy![/QUOTE]

I'm honestly jealous of you people in Ontario/Toronto.
10Mbps with unlimited bandwidth for $54.95? That's awesome.
Here in Quebec for unlimited bandwidth it's 7.5Mbps and $79.95 :cry:

[quote name='Fuzzy']Some of us pay less than half of that. Here's a hint, know a teacher or a real estate broker? They get the best cell phone plans. :cool:[/QUOTE]
I don't know either. :(

My contract is up this month. I was thinking of going with this deal simply because it's such a good deal for a plan that includes data. My current plan is $25 a month but is for phone only. Is that a decent deal or are there better ones to be had out there (keeping in mind I don't know a teacher or real estate broker).

[quote name='Clark.Griswold']I don't know either. :(

My contract is up this month. I was thinking of going with this deal simply because it's such a good deal for a plan that includes data. My current plan is $25 a month but is for phone only. Is that a decent deal or are there better ones to be had out there (keeping in mind I don't know a teacher or real estate broker).[/QUOTE]
I have no idea what plans are like out there other than what I have through a teacher friend.

[quote name='Pajo']actually its teksavvy, but plus one from me
I have it and its amazing
I have the DSL tho
And they just came out with unlimited cable internet, which is unheard of (in Windsor that is)
$54 a month for unlimited cable internet, only 12 more than the dsl...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip. As a fellow Windsorite I am going to look into this.

Hmm, browsing that Teksavvy website and their prices are good. The activation fee sucks, I don't remember if Rogers or Bell have that. You have to buy a modem also, looks like. How long have these guys been around, I wouldn't want to switch and then have them go out of business or introduce bandwidth restrictions or something.

well even if they do (i've been with them for 3 years and nothing bad has happened) they run month to month billing (you may be able to get a contract for like 3 bucks less a month, I dont know, you'd have to ask)
so if they do anything like that, just cancel

and yea, the only bad thing about them is the 'down payment' you need to get them going
the monthly price is only internet service
you gotta buy the modem and filters yourself

I wouldn't want to invest in the activation, modem, etc with this company I've never heard of, if you've been with em for 3 years that's something though. I'll keep them in mind.

terrific company IMO
and the best part of all, something goes wrong (or you have a general question)
you call, get some rings, they pick up within a minute

and the very best part, you'll always get a "no accent" rep, EVERY TIME
I dont want to start a race war or anything like that (not anything close to it) but you know the difference in a call when you call xbox, bell, etc and cant understand every 3rd word

[quote name='Pajo']terrific company IMO
and the best part of all, something goes wrong (or you have a general question)
you call, get some rings, they pick up within a minute

and the very best part, you'll always get a "no accent" rep, EVERY TIME
I dont want to start a race war or anything like that (not anything close to it) but you know the difference in a call when you call xbox, bell, etc and cant understand every 3rd word[/QUOTE]

Lol! This reminds me of when my aunt told me she called about her visa during business hours and couldn't understand the person on the phone at all.

I would love to change ISPs but I have been with Rogers for 9yrs almost. While I do hate Rogers (why did they change the name of the Skydome :bomb:) I am Grandfathered.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Hmm, browsing that Teksavvy website and their prices are good. The activation fee sucks, I don't remember if Rogers or Bell have that. You have to buy a modem also, looks like. How long have these guys been around, I wouldn't want to switch and then have them go out of business or introduce bandwidth restrictions or something.[/QUOTE]

Rogers and Bell probably have a stack of hidden fees also on top of all that if you go over your bandwith you pay up.

I've been with Teksavvy for... just over 8 years. I remember being in grade 8 and going to their downtown offices to change up the modem we bought with my dad. I've never had a hiccup in service and it's always fast, we have about 4 computers here with three console setups, most are downloading or playing online or whatever and I never get any slowdowns.

Video rentals start today, $3.99 to rent and $9.99 to own. I haven't gone on yet, but I'll check it out in a minute. Also found out about this freebie, I assume they mean the movie:

Special Promotion*

To celebrate the debut of PlayStation Network video delivery service in Canada, customers who visit the store today through July 14 will receive a complimentary download of "Charlie's Angels."

Is it live already? For those who don't know you can only rent in SD and I've heard the SD are poor quality. I'll grab anything free to try it out tho!

it seems to be mostly live, lots of titles listed but not all are available. I don't see Charlie's Angels yet, and HD is listed as available.

My info was bad, you CAN rent in HD. My immediate impressions:

Content is better than I expected, I thought half of it was gonna be Corner Gas and crap like that.

Rental prices are good, much better than I expected.

More things need to be available in HD.

Half the things I click on go to a blank "not found" or error screen.

Now they just need to add more HD and more content (I wanted to rent Youth in Revolt but it's not there) and I may actually rent some HD movies on this thing. Good start, I guess.

Nope, I didn't even see one obviously Canadian thing on there. I'm sure a lot of those movies may have been filmed here but there was none of that Cancon crap they usually force on us.

[quote name='ThatArtGuy']You mean it isn't full of Kids in the Hall, Red Green, and Celine Dion videos?[/QUOTE]

Kids In The Hall and Red Green were awesome shows. Celine Dion, on the other hand, isn't.

Rented Up in the Air in HD, worked great and watched as it downloaded. I have no idea about this free Charlie's Angels thing I read. Prices are OK, should be cheaper I think, its the same price as renting a Blu-Ray for some reason...
Tons of content, plus it should work for PSP. Time to buy more PSN cards!

I personally would only ever use this service for renting in HD, would not buy or rent SD and wouldn't buy HD. So like I was saying, they need to get more HD content up there! If they started selling certain music videos in HD I would consider buying some of those.

This is a good service, except a lot of people are on a bandwidth cap (like myself) So if it comes down to paying $5 for an HD movie rental for 90min of entertainment, or download 5 free game demos using the same bandwidth, I will choose the latter.

Tight ass internet companies will be the reason why Blockbuster and Rogers Video are still in business. Hell, that's probably the reason Rogers puts a cap on their internet and now charges $50 for overflow because they don't want to see their rental stores fall flat on their ass!

bread's done
Back