PSN Weekly Deals - 4/10: Rockstar Sale! $20 Owlboy, $14 Aegis Defenders, $10 Thimbleweed Park, & More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Index

Current Deals - Store Updates Every Tuesday, Usually By 8 AM PT/11 AM ET
Visit The Web PS Store

Key:
N - New This Week
Ending Soon
$XX.XX - Price for All PSN Members
$XX.XX - Price for PS+ Members

April’s PS+ Games - Ends 5/1/18

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: 99Vidas

:ps4:  :ps3: In Space we Brawl

:ps4: Mad Max

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: Q*Bert Rebooted

:ps3: Toy Home

PSVR  :ps4: TrackMania Turbo

Pre-orders - Out at 12 AM ET/9 PM PT

:ps4: Dragon's Crown Pro - $44.99 - 10% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31

:ps4: Guns of Icarus Alliance: PS4 Edition - $11.24 - 25% Off - Pre-order ends 5/1

:ps4: The Swords of Ditto - $17.99 - 10% Off - $15.99 - 20% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31/18

:ps4: To Leave - $15.99 - 20% Off - Pre-order ends 4/24

:ps4: Trailblazers - $23.99 - 20% Off - Pre-order ends 5/8

:ps4: We Happy Few - $50.99 - 15% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31
:ps4: We Happy Few Digital Deluxe - $67.99 - 15% Off - Pre-order ends 12/31

Cross Buy

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: Blue-Collar Astronaut - $4.99 - 50% Off - $1.99 - 80% Off - Ends 5/29

:ps4:  :vita:  Rogue Aces - $10.39 - 20% Off - Ends 4/25

:ps4:  :ps3:  :vita: Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove - $19.99 - 20% Off - Ends 4/18

PS4 - [customspoiler="PSVR Note"]PSVR :ps4: means the game is playable with or without PSVR.[/customspoiler]

Aegis Defenders - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 4/24 N

AeternoBlade - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30

Anima: Game of Memories - $11.99 - 40% Off - Ends 4/25

Anoxemia - $4.79 - 40% Off - $3.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/25

Castles - $2.99 - 40% Off - $2.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/25

Crazy Strike Bowling EX - $6.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30

Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today - $8.99 - 55% Off - $6.79 - 66% Off - Ends 4/25

Demon's Crystals - $2.99 - 40% Off - $2.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/25

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition - $19.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/24

Ginger: Beyond the Crystal - $8.99 - 55% Off - $6.79 - 66% Off - Ends 4/25

Heart & Slash - $8.99 - 55% Off - $6.79 - 66% Off - Ends 4/25

Injustice 2 - $23.99 - 40% Off - Ends 4/24

Injustice 2 Legendary Edition - $47.99 - 40% Off - Ends 4/24

Nightmare Boy - $10.39 - 20% Off - Ends 4/25

Streets of Red: Devil's Dare Deluxe - $7.19 - 20% Off - Ends 4/26

PSVR Time Carnage - $15.99 - 20% Off - Ends 4/24

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Deluxe Edition - $27.99 - 60% Off - Ends 4/24

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Gold Edition - $32.99 - 60% Off - Ends 4/24

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Standard Edition - $23.99 - 60% Off - Ends 4/24

Vostok Inc - $8.99 - 40% Off - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/25

Wanderjahr - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30

Zenith - $8.99 - 55% Off - Ends 4/25

PS3

Wicked Monsters Blast! HD - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30 N

PS2 Classics - PS3 Only

N/A

Vita PS TV Compatibility

AeternoBlade - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30 N

Wanderjahr - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/30 N

PSP - Vita and PS TV Compatibility

N/A

PS1 Classics - PS3/PSP Compatible - Vita and PS TV Compatibility

N/A

Minis - PS3/PSP Compatible - Vita and PS TV Compatibility
N/A

PS4 Add-ons

Constructor

Crossout

Horizon Zero Dawn

Orcs Must Die! Unchained

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

Warframe

PS3 Add-ons

N/A

Vita Add-ons

N/A

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to provide feedback for ways to improve this thread. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
For as much as I complain about Sony Rewards, at least the trophy points have been consistent. I thought those reward passes would have been a "one and done" deal but it continues to accumulate even after you've unlocked your goal. I've collected 2 sets of 25 gold trophies for 250 points each, which really boosted my rewards balance. The $10 credit is mine.
Lucky you. I've had the Gold trophies goal completed for over a week now and still no points. Platinum and Silver are done as well but it probably hasn't been 5 business days since they've been checked off so I can't complain about those yet. I swear Sony hates me...still no 15% off coupon from the trials, no points for my trophy milestones and no emails with the 20% off coupons. I would totally switch to Xbox if I wasn't addicted to trophies. :D

I’m 100% getting Thumper. I’m on the fence with Inside, Sexy Brutale, and N++. All three of them the only decision is buy now or hope for a better sale later. As much as Limbo has been on sale, maybe Inside will go lower too. The other two I’m not as confident. Please advise

Lucky you. I've had the Gold trophies goal completed for over a week now and still no points. Platinum and Silver are done as well but it probably hasn't been 5 business days since they've been checked off so I can't complain about those yet. I swear Sony hates me...still no 15% off coupon from the trials, no points for my trophy milestones and no emails with the 20% off coupons. I would totally switch to Xbox if I wasn't addicted to trophies. :D
Yeah, it seems like the stats are always at least a week behind. I just got an email from them and it listed my rewards balance from last week (997), not including the 250 points I just earned, even though I already redeemed 1000 of them today. My theory is that we're just playing too damn hard for them to keep up. :razz:

Do you know if it's possible to activate the "PS Plus trial" option for the 15% off deal if you already have a paid subscription? I actually called them the other week and they said it would automatically detect my subscription and check it off anyway, but nope, weeks later and nuthin'.

I’m 100% getting Thumper. I’m on the fence with Inside, Sexy Brutale, and N++. All three of them the only decision is buy now or hope for a better sale later. As much as Limbo has been on sale, maybe Inside will go lower too. The other two I’m not as confident. Please advise
I have Thumper and Inside and can definitely recommend both. The only thing is that Inside is only a few hours long, so I don't know if you factor that into your buying equation. ($9.99 [7.99] / 10% off > 3 hours = satisfaction?)

I've been watching some review videos on Divinity Original Sin to decide whether I wanna grab it while it's on sale this week, and to be honest, some of the game mechanics look a bit confusing. Also some of the videos mentioned that the game is kinda hard and it's easy to miss a lot of content. Can anyone who has played the game maybe ease my mind about some of this? I don't mind a game that doesn't hold my hand, but I also don't want a super frustrating game that's hard to learn.

This is probably why I had issues and couldn't really get into Dark Souls.
I'm still on the fence, needing some input as to whether I should go for it or skip it.

I'm still on the fence, needing some input as to whether I should go for it or skip it.
They added an Explorer (easy) difficulty in the Enhanced Edition so you shouldn't have too much trouble with the combat. You can switch back and forth between Explorer and Classic (normal) as well if you find Explorer too easy or Classic too hard.

I've been watching some review videos on Divinity Original Sin to decide whether I wanna grab it while it's on sale this week, and to be honest, some of the game mechanics look a bit confusing. Also some of the videos mentioned that the game is kinda hard and it's easy to miss a lot of content. Can anyone who has played the game maybe ease my mind about some of this? I don't mind a game that doesn't hold my hand, but I also don't want a super frustrating game that's hard to learn.

This is probably why I had issues and couldn't really get into Dark Souls.
I am currently playing through it and am still around the first city. The combat plays out similar to Valkyria Chronicles where moving and actions are taken from the same action pool. A lot of the combat seems to be focused more on using elements to affect the enemies. I find the combat part is very linear. It is possible to fight enemies one level above you, but two levels becomes very difficult. With the lack of battles/no real way to grind, you end up going mostly from places where you are the same level as the enemy to the next area where you are the same level as the enemy. I am hoping that this opens up more once you hit level 10 or so.

Looking at Inside, Soma, Song of the deep, and portal knights as well. Can anyone give their opinions on those?
I platinumed Portal Knights a while back. As a big fan of Minecraft and Terraria, I can easily say PK is inferior to both. Building is better in Minecraft, and combat is better in Terraria. I didn't really build any structures in PK other than a super basic base for all my chests and equipment workshops. Despite being the weakest of the three, I would still say it's worth the current $10 ($9 w/ coupon) sale if you're looking for a time killer in that genre.

I played the game solo. The most difficult part was the first hard mode boss. The rest is fairly doable on your own. If you do pick it up, I recommend not starting with the warrior. Go mage or ranger as you will want ranged abilities. Stick with that character until you clear normal and hard mode, get the loot, and then use it on the other characters. I started the game as mage. Once I had all three done, I switched to ranger as my main as his single enemy dps is brutal.

Holy moly those Monster Hunter review scores are killer. Wasn’t expecting that!
I'll be completely honest. I have never played a previous MH title, and was set on buying MHW. However, after playing the Beta last weekend, I wasn't impressed at all. I felt the controls were clunky and the gameplay was stale. I see these reviews coming out and I cannot wrap my head around how IGN gave it a 9.5. Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I am missing something. In the end I decided to pass on it.

@Spraykwon I feel you dude I couldn’t get into the beta at all. Now I feel like I’ll have to at least consider it when MH hits $30 pre GCU.

I'll be completely honest. I have never played a previous MH title, and was set on buying MHW. However, after playing the Beta last weekend, I wasn't impressed at all. I felt the controls were clunky and the gameplay was stale. I see these reviews coming out and I cannot wrap my head around how IGN gave it a 9.5. Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I am missing something. In the end I decided to pass on it.
Feel the same exact way. I played Monster Hunter 4 on the 3DS and it was ok. This demo for some reason put me off. The movement was super clunky and it felt super slow. I would probably only buy it if I had friends that played it and I don't. Can't see how this got a 9.5 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on Switch didn't get close to this. I love that damn game.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Headlander is free via Twitch Prime. Hopefully it means it’ll come to ps+ sometime soon. Double Fine’s games high probability to go free is the whole reason I haven’t bought it yet.

It's not that it's clunky. It's more because it's not a musou-style hack and slash game. You have giant weapons, and long attack animation. A large part of the game is knowing when to strike, and not button mashing.

Think a Souls game that's known for it's co-op instead of difficulty.

How many of you that tried out the Monster Hunter World beta have also played Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Demon's Souls? They're not all that different in terms of animation priority-based attacks, so you have to be careful about how you approach each enemy with attacks and item management.

How many of you that tried out the Monster Hunter World beta have also played Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Demon's Souls? They're not all that different in terms of animation priority-based attacks, so you have to be careful about how you approach each enemy with attacks and item management.
I've played all the souls and bloodborne and MHW felt way clunkier. I think the camera is weird as well. It just wasn't very fun. I'm going to give it another try because I did enjoy MH4 on 3DS

I've played all the souls and bloodborne and MHW felt way clunkier. I think the camera is weird as well. It just wasn't very fun. I'm going to give it another try because I did enjoy MH4 on 3DS
*shrug* I remember Demon's Souls being clunkier than MHW, but it's been so long, I don't actually know for sure.

I love the Souls games but can’t get into MH games at all. It’s not the combat that bothers me. I just don’t like all the crafting and micromanagement involved with weapons. That bores me to tears and the complexity turns me off. Just don’t have the time for it and the grinding.

For as much as I complain about Sony Rewards, at least the trophy points have been consistent. I thought those reward passes would have been a "one and done" deal but it continues to accumulate even after you've unlocked your goal. I've collected 2 sets of 25 gold trophies for 250 points each, which really boosted my rewards balance. The $10 credit is mine.
Quick question about the rewards for the trophies. Do they only accumulate the total after you activate/unlock the reward? Example: I think I have around 11 Platinum trophies at this point, however I only unlocked (clicked on the reward) today and it lists 0/10 collected so far. Will it not count the 11 I already have? Do I now need to get 10 more now that I have the reward activated or will it eventually recognize the ones I already have? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Quick question about the rewards for the trophies. Do they only accumulate the total after you activate/unlock the reward? Example: I think I have around 11 Platinum trophies at this point, however I only unlocked (clicked on the reward) today and it lists 0/10 collected so far. Will it not count the 11 I already have? Do I now need to get 10 more now that I have the reward activated or will it eventually recognize the ones I already have? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
It starts from when you activate the passes, so you don't get credit for past trophies.

It starts from when you activate the passes, so you don't get credit for past trophies.
Thank you for the info.... and that is what I was afraid of. Not that big of a deal from a trophy standpoint but the points would have been nice to get some extra PSN credit. Oh well just an excuse to squeeze in some extra gaming time.

Some new deals:

:ps4: Fallout 4 - $20.09 - 33% Off - Ends 2/5

:ps4: Fallout 4: Game of the Year Edition - $35.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/5

:ps4: Fallout 4 - Automatron - $5.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/5

:ps4: Fallout 4 - Contraptions Workshop - $2.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/5

:ps4: Fallout 4 - Far Harbor - $14.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/5

:ps4: Fallout 4 - Nuka-World - $11.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/5

:ps4: Fallout 4 - Season Pass - $24.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/5

:ps4: Fallout 4 - Vault-Tec Workshop - $2.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/5

:ps4: Fallout 4 - Wasteland Workshop - $2.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/5

:ps4: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands - Base Pack 800 Credits - $3.49 - 30% Off - Ends 2/1

:ps4: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands - Extra Large Pack 11530 Credits - $34.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/1

:ps4: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands - Large Pack 7285 Credits - $24.49 - 30% Off - Ends 2/1

:ps4: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands - Medium Pack 3840 Credits - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/1

:ps4: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands - Small Pack 1700 Credits - $6.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/1

Freebie:

Zhang Feng Avatar - Free

New Releases:

:ps4: Arcade Archives NeoGeo Shock Troopers - $7.99

:ps4: Celeste - $19.99

:ps4: Laws of Machine - $5.99

For the Sony Rewards redemption, is the lowest dollar amount you can redeem for PSN credit $10 (1,000 points)? Looks like I have 24 of 25 gold trophies which would give me 250. Sadly even after that I'm still not even halfway to 1000 points.

For the Sony Rewards redemption, is the lowest dollar amount you can redeem for PSN credit $10 (1,000 points)? Looks like I have 24 of 25 gold trophies which would give me 250. Sadly even after that I'm still not even halfway to 1000 points.
You can redeem whenever for the $10 code and pay the difference at $0.01 per point if you need the credit right away, though you can also just let it ride to add points from purchases and silver/platinum/gold trophies.

For anyone who bought the Pinball Arcade Season 7 Pass, DLC table 69 has also been released today, though for me, it's not showing up as a free Download. No clue if it's related to the S7 Pass Price Glitch.

On the topic of Monster Hunter, I actually beta tested the first game on the PS2 and I couldn't get into it at all. My thought at the time was, "What are they thinking, this'll never catch on, it's going to crash and burn hard." To this day, the fact that there is such a fervor about it and they're on #5 continues to amaze me.

why do people say this all the time? are you also going to pay the $40 to ship and insure it? are you paying up front? are you just a random person on the internet that could screw someone over? would it be worth it to anyone to deal with all that for $25 more?
I know .. i know. It is better to trade in and got a great deal with Gamestop than putting your good on Ebay or Craiglist

I've never been a fan of the Souls comparisons to MH actually because Souls has a lot of pretty standard action game concepts that MH lacks. The biggest one being a real targeting system and mechanics associated with that.

The thing that separates MH (and other hunting games) from most other melee action games in my mind is that you actually have to aim your attacks in a very precise manner. I mean when you get down to it that's literally the core of the gameplay, making sure you are lined up with the body part you want to hit on a monster. It's very different from basically every other action game where you can lock-on and have attacks that will track enemies mid-animation making it harder to whiff (which yes is even something Souls does though it's harder to notice the slower your weapon is.) As a result I can understand where people come from when they say it's clunky but I don't really agree at all, it's more that the game is asking something of you that is very different from the norm and can have a pretty big learning curve (I know you said you played MH4 and probably know that stuff, I am just speaking in a more general sense.) When that clicks however it makes sense why it's so different, if MH had the typical lock on and tracking of other action games you would lack the precision needed to hit specific points on the monster's body which is incredibly important.

All that aside though in my opinion the biggest hurdle to enjoying the game really lies in finding a weapon you enjoy. The differences between weapons in MH is more akin to picking a class in like a MMO than it is simply picking a weapon. I assume most people who try MH go in and pick a weapon based on looks or previous experiences with other video games and I did the same thing and it was a complete disaster. I really enjoy the dual wielding dagger rogue archetype so the first weapon I tried in MH was the dual blades and it was a total disaster. I hated everything about it and it made me completely hate the game. It wasn't until sometime later that I gave MH another chance because I was determined to figure out why so many people enjoyed this series. I literally spent like 5 or 6 hours playing the Generations demo on 3DS going through each weapon individually until I found something I enjoyed (which eventually ended up being the longsword in my case.)

And here I am in the end with over like 200 hours played on MH3U and insanely hyped for this MHW preload to unlock in 8 hours so I can get in there. I am not really saying others should do what I did and just brute force the thing until it clicks but I will say I am glad I did cause that time I spent with 3U is easily some of the best hours I've ever had gaming. I'd honestly had put even more time into the game if not for the fact this entire story was like 6 months ago so I didn't want to burn myself out for MH World.

I've never been a fan of the Souls comparisons to MH actually because Souls has a lot of pretty standard action game concepts that MH lacks. The biggest one being a real targeting system and mechanics associated with that.

The thing that separates MH (and other hunting games) from most other melee action games in my mind is that you actually have to aim your attacks in a very precise manner. I mean when you get down to it that's literally the core of the gameplay, making sure you are lined up with the body part you want to hit on a monster. It's very different from basically every other action game where you can lock-on and have attacks that will track enemies mid-animation making it harder to whiff (which yes is even something Souls does though it's harder to notice the slower your weapon is.) As a result I can understand where people come from when they say it's clunky but I don't really agree at all, it's more that the game is asking something of you that is very different from the norm and can have a pretty big learning curve (I know you said you played MH4 and probably know that stuff, I am just speaking in a more general sense.) When that clicks however it makes sense why it's so different, if MH had the typical lock on and tracking of other action games you would lack the precision needed to hit specific points on the monster's body which is incredibly important.

All that aside though in my opinion the biggest hurdle to enjoying the game really lies in finding a weapon you enjoy. The differences between weapons in MH is more akin to picking a class in like a MMO than it is simply picking a weapon. I assume most people who try MH go in and pick a weapon based on looks or previous experiences with other video games and I did the same thing and it was a complete disaster. I really enjoy the dual wielding dagger rogue archetype so the first weapon I tried in MH was the dual blades and it was a total disaster. I hated everything about it and it made me completely hate the game. It wasn't until sometime later that I gave MH another chance because I was determined to figure out why so many people enjoyed this series. I literally spent like 5 or 6 hours playing the Generations demo on 3DS going through each weapon individually until I found something I enjoyed (which eventually ended up being the longsword in my case.)

And here I am in the end with over like 200 hours played on MH3U and insanely hyped for this MHW preload to unlock in 8 hours so I can get in there. I am not really saying others should do what I did and just brute force the thing until it clicks but I will say I am glad I did cause that time I spent with 3U is easily some of the best hours I've ever had gaming. I'd honestly had put even more time into the game if not for the fact this entire story was like 6 months ago so I didn't want to burn myself out for MH World.
Awesome post and you hit the nail on the head. All of this time I was trying to figure out why I couldn't get into it and it's the damn no lock on. Honestly the camera doesn't ewally help the issue of trying to hit the monsters where you want.

Awesome post and you hit the nail on the head. All of this time I was trying to figure out why I couldn't get into it and it's the damn no lock on. Honestly the camera doesn't ewally help the issue of trying to hit the monsters where you want.
Oh that's actually the other thing I completely forgot about until right now. The default camera in MH World is actually changed from previous games (completely threw me off when I first tried the beta.) In the options you can change it back to how it worked in older games and I highly suggest that. Makes it so you set your target as a focus and then tap the R1 button to center the camera on them.

That way you get the camera movement of a traditional lock on system but your attacks aren't bound to which way the camera is facing.

people care what ign think?

I put hundreds of hours into Monster Hunter 3 and 4, so needless to say I can't wait to pick up my pre-order tomorrow. 

For anyone who bought the Pinball Arcade Season 7 Pass, DLC table 69 has also been released today, though for me, it's not showing up as a free Download. No clue if it's related to the S7 Pass Price Glitch.

On the topic of Monster Hunter, I actually beta tested the first game on the PS2 and I couldn't get into it at all. My thought at the time was, "What are they thinking, this'll never catch on, it's going to crash and burn hard." To this day, the fact that there is such a fervor about it and they're on #5 continues to amaze me.
Having bought the season pass, it is not necessary to "buy" the free tables also. Tried it and 'Pistol Poker' is available. It will probably take a few days for the store to straighten out like last time (f'n'a the store has been super jank the last few months). And like last time, even though it's not required I'll purchase it when(if) it is listed free, for funsies.

Keep in mind I am not saying the game isn't good, but to me I just don't understand the hype behind it.
I think everybody has their game or games they don't like that many others seem to love. I didn't care for a few games that got massive praise from almost everybody else in 2017. That said, I am pretty hyped for Monster Hunter World after enjoying the beta.

Feel the same exact way. I played Monster Hunter 4 on the 3DS and it was ok. This demo for some reason put me off. The movement was super clunky and it felt super slow. I would probably only buy it if I had friends that played it and I don't. Can't see how this got a 9.5 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on Switch didn't get close to this. I love that damn game.

XC2 was a big disappointment to me after absolutely loving XCX and considering it my GOTY for 2015. The combat and exploration was way more enjoyable in X and hell, I even liked the story and characters more as well. I put about 120 hours into X but lost interest in XC2 after only 25.

Oh yeah Kill, saw your post over in a psnprofiles thread asking a question about MH (unless someone was stealing your avatar and name!) and you didn't get a response about the crown-related trophies. Assuming they've not changed anything from previous games (which they may have, no idea) it's mostly just going to be a big ol' RNG grind since those are related to the size of monsters and their size is entirely random from my understanding (in previous games, again no idea about World.) 

Like I said in my wall of text I played around 200 hours of 3U and I do not have crowns for every monster. Then again though I believe World has a smaller monster list (due to them having to remake all the monster models from scratch) which should make it easier by default. Otherwise the trophy list looks super simple and straight forward. It looks like the plat just boils down to "play the game a whole bunch." Which I assume I will be doing anyway so not too worried about it.

Don't have time to dig through the thread at the moment but have any of you picked up Monster Hunter from GMG? My buddy did and he is getting errors. Could it be because it is a preorder? I haven't bought console games from there ever myself.

I think everybody has their game or games they don't like that many others seem to love. I didn't care for a few games that got massive praise from almost everybody else in 2017. That said, I am pretty hyped for Monster Hunter World after enjoying the beta.

XC2 was a big disappointment to me after absolutely loving XCX and considering it my GOTY for 2015. The combat and exploration was way more enjoyable in X and hell, I even liked the story and characters more as well. I put about 120 hours into X but lost interest in XC2 after only 25.
I'm the opposite. Hated XCX and love Chronicles 2. The combat is so much more rewarding and fleshed out. I love the rare blades mechanic and really fell in love with the story.

weird gameplay and combat system. Just like some indie MMO mashed together with Deer Hunter.. how is this 9.5?

weird gameplay and combat system. Just like some indie MMO mashed together with Deer Hunter.. how is this 9.5?
Not sure how it's weird though...it's just not a game for new players and lacks tutorials.

The combat is very in depth but MH has never done a good job of showing ppl how to play. Takes a long time investment to get good and have fun unfortunately.

I played the beta back in December and am not planning on buying it. I managed to beat all three maps out of 100% sheer luck and 0% skill. I have 75,000 titles in my backlog, so I'll relish any chance to pass one up.

We all have our own different gaming preferences. This one is just not for me. A 9.5 isn't going to change that.

Oh yeah Kill, saw your post over in a psnprofiles thread asking a question about MH (unless someone was stealing your avatar and name!) and you didn't get a response about the crown-related trophies. Assuming they've not changed anything from previous games (which they may have, no idea) it's mostly just going to be a big ol' RNG grind since those are related to the size of monsters and their size is entirely random from my understanding (in previous games, again no idea about World.)

Like I said in my wall of text I played around 200 hours of 3U and I do not have crowns for every monster. Then again though I believe World has a smaller monster list (due to them having to remake all the monster models from scratch) which should make it easier by default. Otherwise the trophy list looks super simple and straight forward. It looks like the plat just boils down to "play the game a whole bunch." Which I assume I will be doing anyway so not too worried about it.
Yeah, that was me and thanks for replying. :D Anyway, I wouldn't mind putting 100 or so hours into MHW for the Plat but if I think it's going to drag far beyond that due to RNG, I'll (hopefully) settle for an A rank on PSNProfiles then move on. I don't see me wanting to put 500 hours into the game like some of the die-hards.

That's really the only thing that catches my eye during this sale as it's the cheapest it's been. Interested in a few others that are on sale but I can wait for a better deal on those.

Except for The Sexy Brutale which I bought not long ago for $10 and haven't played yet. :D
I bought The Sexy Brutale for $12 and haven't played it yet, so I win :p. I am never gonna catch up with my backlog, my resolution this year is to buy less games. I am glad the Monster World Beta was not my thing, as it one less game I will have to buy. Iconoclasts looks really good though.

I just noticed that the Inside/Limbo double pack is listed on the main page for $12.50 at Newegg with promo code EMCXERV65. That might be a better deal for those considering Inside only this week at $9.99/7.99. I bought it for $14.99, so I lose.

I played the beta back in December and am not planning on buying it. I managed to beat all three maps out of 100% sheer luck and 0% skill. I have 75,000 titles in my backlog, so I'll relish any chance to pass one up.

We all have our own different gaming preferences. This one is just not for me. A 9.5 isn't going to change that.
omg @ 75k in backlog! lol I guess most r PC games o_O

So now I want to give Monster Hunter World another shot.  Seriously debating on buying it today.

Yay or nay? Lol

So now I want to give Monster Hunter World another shot. Seriously debating on buying it today.

Yay or nay? Lol
Yay

I bought the digital deluxe version.

The series is well established and the reviews are generally positive. Very positive. Across the board.

The less than stellar reviews are making statements that indicate they didn’t understand what they were doing, didn’t learn the systems, or just didn’t like it.

The game is complex and deeper than you would think at first glance. It takes serious time to learn how to use each weapon and even more to “master” it and use it to its full potential. Many people compare it to the souls series and in some ways I think that’s fair.

Everyone complained about the difficulty of demon/dark souls... at first. But when you put the time in to learn how the game is played, you are rewarded with it becoming easier to play and understand. Likewise, the “tutorial” in both series are lackluster at best. That can be a fair criticism of the games but at the same time, doesn’t take from the fact that both games are extremely solid and well made. With time and practice the complexity is understood and the depth and difficulty becomes manageable.

Also, don’t let the beta throw you off too much. I didn’t care for the beta much either. The beta was made for trade show floors where people were lined up to play and they wanted people to move as quickly as possible through. The monsters were significantly EASIER in the demo than they will be in the full game. They had less HP than in the real game. On top of that, the 20 minute time limit was complete bunk! I hated that! The real game missions or quests have 50 minute time limits which lets you actually explore, find items, combine/craft items, and use environmental tools to help support you. On top of that, there’s free range modes where there are no time limits and you can just explore and hunt whatever you can find. The beta really did a poor job of showing a lot of the prep work behind the hunts as well as the gathering and crafting of items to boost your strategies and battle tactics. There is MUCH more to monster hunter games than what the beta showed... which was basically run in and hack and slash as fast as possible to kill the beast in the limited time given.

If you are on the fence, go on twitch and watch some of the people streaming the game even now. The game is really fun and challenging but there is a learning curve... several learning curves, for each weapon type, for each monster, for crafting, for items, etc. etc. etc. Its not a simple pick up and play and do well or master game. It’s a deeper game that demands time and learning to “git good.” Which is also where it has similarities to the souls series.

I’m all in. Gonna be playing this a looong time!

So now I want to give Monster Hunter World another shot. Seriously debating on buying it today.

Yay or nay? Lol
I'm going to advise you not to get it. It sounds like there wasn't anything about the game that appealed to you, and that's OK - even critically acclaimed games are not going to be for everyone. Even when you understand all the mechanics and systems, you still might find the game lacking.

Some things you should know when starting the game - I'm basing most of this off previous games in the series, so they may not apply here - are: 1) The game is balanced on the size of the group. That means solo play will be a lot easier for you, whereas in multiplayer, everyone will need to pull their own weight. You should probably play by yourself until you become familiar with the game. 2) If another player rodeos - mounts - a monster and is thrashing around, don't attack it! It'll only knock the player off when he could have grounded it. 3) This will probably be the most helpful tip: the damage numbers signify effectiveness. If the numbers are in gray, your attacks aren't effective. If they're orange, you're doing good. This will tell you where to attack an enemy since you don't want your stamina to wane or weapons to dull in a prolonged battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back