PSN's $1 billion class action lawsuit

Yeah a lot of oversimplified ideas on class action here. Pretty much the same ones people keep regurgitating so nothing new with these complaints. I will say that people need to figure if a lawsuit is really warranted here. First this was not willful. Microsoft INTENTIONALLY releasing a defective product, xbox 360, would warrant a lawsuit more so. These cyber-attacks are increasing so this is likely not the last you will see of major corporations being breached. Wake up people, this is the nature of this beast we call the internet.

Why the hell are people making this a console battle? The company holding the info CAN NOT be a victim. Everyone who uses the service is the victim and defending Sony is just pure lunacy. Once they have the info, it is their responsibility to keep it safe and to inform the consumer when the info has been taken.

Sony handled this poorly and people should be suing and pissed off. I just got a PS3 right before all of this happened and I lost my personal data and can't play The Show online. I'm pretty disgusted myself and I figure most people should be, especially if you only have a PS3 at this point.

[quote name='poiuiu']Better offers even, like PSN EU users getting free games.[/QUOTE]

We should be getting a similar offer as well. If you go back and read the details of what exactly Sony is giving us in the Welcome Back package, it says free downloads, free month of PS+ for everyone (with existing members getting a one month extension, though if the downtime continues beyond a month expect this to be extended), and free identity theft protection.

The full details of exactly what we're getting has not yet been released.

That list of five games had just better be good. I don't want stuff that's been given out to PS+ members already, I want some A-List shiz.

good to see lots of people making baseless comments :roll:

passwords werent plaintext, they were hashes, that's what the faq itself says! if people used dumb passwords like 'password', then of course that can be brute force guessed or compared to known hashes of such basic words

what exactly is a quick response supposed to be?? someone has to write those blog posts, some lawyer has to check them, people have to figure out the scope, etc etc... you want real time tweets from IT?

[quote name='djsaiyan']We should be getting a similar offer as well. If you go back and read the details of what exactly Sony is giving us in the Welcome Back package, it says free downloads, free month of PS+ for everyone (with existing members getting a one month extension, though if the downtime continues beyond a month expect this to be extended), and free identity theft protection.

The full details of exactly what we're getting has not yet been released.

That list of five games had just better be good. I don't want stuff that's been given out to PS+ members already, I want some A-List shiz.[/QUOTE]
Well, anything they offer will have to be something from a Sony studio. Expect God of War 3 for sure. I will anticipate that they will make it some good games, because they're not going to fuck around with their image after all of this. If they came out with 5 shovelware titles, they'd only going to further alienate their userbase; surely they know that.

[quote name='kn00tcn']passwords werent plaintext, they were hashes, that's what the faq itself says! if people used dumb passwords like 'password', then of course that can be brute force guessed or compared to known hashes of such basic words[/QUOTE]

Ah, I missed the blog post where they said that they were using hashes (just found it through specifically searching for it). That makes me feel a lot better about it -- wish they'd said that in the first place, as the way it was originally stated that passwords were taken, it sounded like they were storing them in cleartext. That's been Sony's biggest mistake through all of this -- poor communications. I get that they don't want to confuse average users with too much technobabble, but simplifying their statements too much makes it sound like they're much less competent (or much more arrogant) than they actually are.

Really, if they were doing the hashes properly (a strong salted hashing algorithm with a unique random salt for each user), it should be virtually impossible to brute force them, even with dumb passwords.

[quote name='Rocky071']Well, anything they offer will have to be something from a Sony studio. Expect God of War 3 for sure.[/QUOTE]

While I hope you're right that Sony won't just give some random crap games that will just piss people off more, I would expect them to be PSN titles, not disc-based titles.

Mega props to them if they're actually gonna send us discs. There are a few first party titles I wouldn't mind adding, or re-adding to my collection. Hell even if it were just Greatest Hits, there's enough there I don't have or traded in previously that I'd be very happy.

Of course, that's laughably unlikely. It'll be digital titles for sure. Which doesn't really give much in the way of options, and most of them I already have.

So the relaunch of PSN is now scheduled for May 31 now. However, being the pessimist I am, I fully expect this to slip, and slip again after that. Repeat forever.

PS: Considering Sony's continuing stance to embrace a DDL gaming future (since started with Ken going all the way back to the PS2) and who can forget the Go, Sony shipping discs will not happen. And fully expect at least the PSP titles will comprise of the 10 dollar Favourites line.

[quote name='kn00tcn']technically several disc based games are up on psn[/QUOTE]

True, but the poster that I was replying to specifically mentioned God of War III, which I'm pretty sure is not on PSN (unless they added it at some point since I last looked at the Playstation Store, anyway).

[quote name='poiuiu']PS: Considering Sony's continuing stance to embrace a DDL gaming future (since started with Ken going all the way back to the PS2) and who can forget the Go, Sony shipping discs will not happen. And fully expect at least the PSP titles will comprise of the 10 dollar Favourites line.[/QUOTE]

I agree that any free games will be PSN titles. They also won't be the latest and greatest ones that Sony still expects to make significant money on, they'll be catalog titles that aren't selling that well any more. Hopefully they'll at least be good games, though it'll be interesting to see what they do when some portion of the user base cries foul because they already own all of the games on the list that they're interested in.

Though your post brings up another interesting point -- I wonder what this extended downtime will mean for Sony's DDL gaming push? As a gamer, I know that I'd be that much more pissed right now if I couldn't get games at all. If I were a (disc-based) developer, I'd definitely be thinking about how much more money I'd be losing right now if my games were download-only. It might get a whole lot more difficult for Sony to make that argument after this.

[quote name='arcane93'] Hopefully they'll at least be good games, though it'll be interesting to see what they do when some portion of the user base cries foul because they already own all of the games on the list that they're interested in.[/QUOTE]
Probably nothing and end with a congratulatory 'you have experienced the best that gaming so far has to offer' and also reiterating that they have 1 year id theft protection for free.

Though your post brings up another interesting point -- I wonder what this extended downtime will mean for Sony's DDL gaming push? As a gamer, I know that I'd be that much more pissed right now if I couldn't get games at all.
Speculation on my part (obviously) but in the long term, nothing since their online and ddl plan spans for many consoles.

Short term, many disgruntled customers who can't play online for the while they are trying to get their system up and going again. Also, the same people hope Sony learns their lesson and keep up to date with the security of all the branches they own as well as hope Sony doesn't extend PSN+ to encompass the basic free PSN online as well.

In the short short term, probably similar to what happened yesterday at the Gamestop where an obviously irate (really really pissed off) customer was bitching about this situation to the gamestop girl even tho this is not the fault of anyone's other than Sony's own incompetence. And this happened when there were people around too (not including myself). And possibly completely switching to 360.

If I were a (disc-based) developer, I'd definitely be thinking about how much more money I'd be losing right now if my games were download-only.
There's rumblings saying that some mutli-platform developers are slowing, if not outright halting, PS3 development until PSN gets back online. After all, if they can't get online to test net code, they can't finish their games. Even with a small dev like Telltale, there's a lot of uproar that PS3 owners can't download the next episode of Back to the Future.

[quote name='poiuiu']Probably nothing and end with a congratulatory 'you have experienced the best that gaming so far has to offer' and also reiterating that they have 1 year id theft protection for free.[/QUOTE]

Heh, probably.

[quote name='poiuiu']Speculation on my part (obviously) but in the long term, nothing since their online and ddl plan spans for many consoles.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't think it will end it in the long term, of course, but in the short term it could have some fairly significant consequences -- especially when considered as part of a larger chain of evidence regarding the current viability of DDL gaming. First, the PSP Go is essentially a failure, now Sony's entire network is down for weeks (or even longer). Even if Sony still wants to push it, I imagine they'll have a hard time getting the third-party developers on board.

But then, I may just be being optimistic. I like my physical media, so anything that hurts the push for DDL gaming isn't all bad in my opinion.

[quote name='poiuiu']Short term, many disgruntled customers who can't play online for the while they are trying to get their system up and going again.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's been one good thing for me -- I don't really do any online gaming anyway, so from that standpoint the outage hasn't made much difference to me. The biggest issues for me have been the smaller random inconveniences like the login screens that pop up when I try to watch Netflix. If I were an online gamer, I'd be seriously pissed right now, though.

[quote name='poiuiu']There's rumblings saying that some mutli-platform developers are slowing, if not outright halting, PS3 development until PSN gets back online. After all, if they can't get online to test net code, they can't finish their games. Even with a small dev like Telltale, there's a lot of uproar that PS3 owners can't download the next episode of Back to the Future.[/QUOTE]

Huh, interesting. I wonder if that will mean total delays in releasing upcoming multi-platform games, or if only the PS3 versions will be delayed. That would end up becoming a serious longer-term disadvantage for Sony, if the 360 versions of multi-platform games started coming out weeks or months before the PS3 versions for a while.

[quote name='AftComet']I hope this gets thrown out. Class action lawsuits are retarded. The only person who wins is the lawyer as he walks away with a cool chunk of the cash. The actual people on board receive almost nothing at all.

[/QUOTE]

If class action lawsuits didn't exist, then corporations would get away with crap like this all the time. Yeah, the people that got affected don't get money, but that's not the point of these lawsuits.

[quote name='DarkRider23']If class action lawsuits didn't exist, then corporations would get away with crap like this all the time. Yeah, the people that got affected don't get money, but that's not the point of these lawsuits.[/QUOTE]

Then what IS the point? 1 billion dollars, really? For what purpose? This class- action lawsuit is a joke and further proof that our justice system is beyond flawed.

[quote name='crushtopher']Then what IS the point? 1 billion dollars, really? For what purpose? This class- action lawsuit is a joke and further proof that our justice system is beyond flawed.[/QUOTE]

The point is ACCOUNTABILITY. That simple.

[quote name='lowgear26']The point is ACCOUNTABILITY. That simple.[/QUOTE]

Um, ok, so all of the steps that Sony is taking to correct the issue (new security measures, new data center, new management position focused on security, etc.), the identity theft protection that they're offering to all users, and the free month of PSN+ and whatever other freebies aren't enough accountability for you? I mean, hey, I'd totally get your argument if Sony's response to the whole issue had been "tough shit", but it wasn't. They've already spent a ton of money on correcting the problem and trying to make it right, and lost a ton of revenue as well. What is compounding that cost further going to accomplish?

pretty sure a tainted reputation for every giant company (& downtime for serious online revenue) is a much harder hit than some stupid lawsuit after something bad has happened

where are the lawsuits pressuring to prove things beforehand?

[quote name='kn00tcn']pretty sure a tainted reputation for every giant company (& downtime for serious online revenue) is a much harder hit than some stupid lawsuit after something bad has happened

where are the lawsuits pressuring to prove things beforehand?[/QUOTE]

I would assume if this ever got serious airtime in court (which I doubt, based on the ridiculous figure), proof of when Sony first knew what was happening would be entered as part of evidence.
In any case, I don't hold a grudge against Sony simply because I'm not that avid an online gamer and my CC info wasn't in their system anymore. I thought against leaving it there for my own reasons, and I guess my foresight paid off...

bread's done
Back