PSP 2000 vs old PSP screen differences

ultrarobotninja

CAGiversary!
Hey guys, I've been hogging my friends psp for ages and yesterday I pulled some cag maneuvers and scored that new psp slim for 169. Now I don't know if many of you guys have access to older psps to compare their screens, but I noticed some differences between the screens and I would like to run them by you guys and get feedback. I don't know anybody else with a psp slim so I cant check if maybe I got a different screen version then normal...

ok here it goes:

1. The most obvious difference between the screens is the brightness. The PSP slim is much brighter then the old PSP

2. The psp slim's screen seems a bit less reflective then the old psp

3. The psp slim's screen has wider viewing angles, I had both psp's on at the same website and the old psp screen would start fading the colors when viewed at different angles, the psp slim would fade a bit too but much less so.

4.Psp slim's screen seems to be sharper too, looking at the XMB you can see differences in the crispness of the text, the edges of the text are more clear on the psp slim and smoother on the old PSP.

and this leads me to a major difference between the screens

5. The old psp seems to display an overall smoother picture, specially in gradients. When at the cross media bar if you have the background color set to a darker color, like a purple or even black, in the psp slim you notice the changes in the gradient aren't as smooth, You can notice lines when the different shades of the colors meet and there seems to maybe be a dithering effect as well. Looking even closer you can even see a faint grid at the darker shades of the screen.
Meanwhile the old psp displays these same images smooth as butter all shades blending in well.

The psp slim screen seems reminiscent of a laptop screen while the old psp screen seems more like a small LCD tv.

Maybe i'm being picky or maybe I have a unit from a weird new factory, could any of you try to compare psps and let me know?

thanks in advance

My complaint may be similar? I had a thread going at the official forums but I think its something that is overlooked unless someone points it out. I notice the color change when you're on a grey screen (like hitting the Home button), or if you're say in a web browser and you're on a page that separates the left from the right (like google.com). The left side of google the white is a different tint than the right side. While annoying its not really noticeable during gameplay unless you're thinking about it. I was curious too if mine was just a defect and having no stuck/dead pixels I am hesitant to exchange, Are you seeing this change as well? The best way to describe it is that the left side of the screen seems to be "warmer" and the right side "cooler". The color uniformity is off going from left to right.

[quote name='Iano']My complaint may be similar? I had a thread going at the official forums but I think its something that is overlooked unless someone points it out. I notice the color change when you're on a grey screen (like hitting the Home button), or if you're say in a web browser and you're on a page that separates the left from the right (like google.com). The left side of google the white is a different tint than the right side. While annoying its not really noticeable during gameplay unless you're thinking about it. I was curious too if mine was just a defect and having no stuck/dead pixels I am hesitant to exchange, Are you seeing this change as well? The best way to describe it is that the left side of the screen seems to be "warmer" and the right side "cooler". The color uniformity is off going from left to right.[/quote]

Hey,
I stared at my psp at different screens and didnt notice any color uniformity, if its noticible on yours I would say return it... it seems to me sony is trying to save some money on the display quality...

could you notice the faint lines in the gradient on the cross media bar as well or is yours a seamless gradient?

I posted this in another thread when someone said there was no difference in the screens. Then someone tried to say that the difference because it was a comparison from a new screen to a old screen (just 6 months old). Unless my original phat had a bad screen (which I dont think it does), the difference in screen quality is apparent. Its no DS to DSlite, but its still nice.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Not the best picture, but that's my original phat @ brightness 4 and the slim @ brightness 3. Now that my slim is hacked the brightness is even more noticable since you can go to 4 without AC power. I'm not the only one who's noticed the slightly better screen. I'd take a better pic but I let my friend borrow my phat since I don't exactly need it right now.

edit// Here's two more that I took right after I made my slim 3.60 M33. Both are @ brightness 4.

[quote name='yoursisterspretty']I posted this in another thread when someone said there was no difference in the screens. Then someone tried to say that the difference because it was a comparison from a new screen to a old screen (just 6 months old). Unless my original phat had a bad screen (which I dont think it does), the difference in screen quality is apparent. Its no DS to DSlite, but its still nice.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Not the best picture, but that's my original phat @ brightness 4 and the slim @ brightness 3. Now that my slim is hacked the brightness is even more noticable since you can go to 4 without AC power. I'm not the only one who's noticed the slightly better screen. I'd take a better pic but I let my friend borrow my phat since I don't exactly need it right now.

edit// Here's two more that I took right after I made my slim 3.60 M33. Both are @ brightness 4.

[/quote]

but did you notice less "smoothness" in the gradients? that and that its easier to see the pixels that form the images more clearly?

im trying to find out if i have a faulty screen or not

I returned mine and went to Best Buy so i could get a PRP. I typically don't buy into those, but at $30 they'll let you swap out for even 1 dead/stuck pixel if it happens down the road. Its charging up so I'll let you know how things go, but I did get my hands on another slim that did *not* have the issue I described so that one definitely had a defect.

[quote name='Iano']I returned mine and went to Best Buy so i could get a PRP. I typically don't buy into those, but at $30 they'll let you swap out for even 1 dead/stuck pixel if it happens down the road. Its charging up so I'll let you know how things go, but I did get my hands on another slim that did *not* have the issue I described so that one definitely had a defect.[/quote]
Hey,
I just got back from target. I took my psp battery , bought a slim went to the car and tested it, it had the same "issue" with the gradient plus a stuck red pixel in the middle of the screen, I waited a few minutes then took it back and returned it.
Unless proven wrong my official stance is that they changed screen technology and while it does has it advantages this new screen doesnt display gradient colors as smoothly as the old PSP.

Glad you took my advice in taking yours back and that it worked out for you, I think I'll take yours and get that PRP myself.

One thing to keep in mind is that OLCD screens like these loose their brightness ability over time, so it might be that the brightness difference you're seeing is just with the age of the two.

The only way to get a true comparison is to buy a core PSP and a slim at the same time. Or, more cost-effective, grab a friend that's just bought a PSP core and compare the two.

I see the gradient too, here's one observation however, when I was at Best Buy looking at a demo phat PSP I noticed it wasn't as sharp as the new slim. Maybe the gradient is standing out because of the sharpness of the new screens? So my new unit seems ok, there is a extremely faint stuck green SUB-pixel in the top left, but I'm content with a sub-pixel I'll never see. However, the new one has the damn clicky analog nub issue! Annoying, but I don't think it will impact play and with the PRP I can just exchange down the road if it became in issue, so I think I'll be content with this one.

[quote name='Iano']I see the gradient too, here's one observation however, when I was at Best Buy looking at a demo phat PSP I noticed it wasn't as sharp as the new slim. Maybe the gradient is standing out because of the sharpness of the new screens? So my new unit seems ok, there is a extremely faint stuck green SUB-pixel in the top left, but I'm content with a sub-pixel I'll never see. However, the new one has the damn clicky analog nub issue! Annoying, but I don't think it will impact play and with the PRP I can just exchange down the road if it became in issue, so I think I'll be content with this one.[/quote]

I got the PRP myself now. Why not take another trip and see if you can get it replaced again? I mean, dont worry about what they may say or think. I went throught 5 LCD tvs with them before I settled with my 6 th.

The bad thing about waiting is that if you end up using the PRP then you spend it, you only get 1 use out of it.

You are probably right about the gradient issue, thanks for your imput and best of luck to you!

what about scratches? both to the screen and body? the original is crazy scratch prone, I used an lcd monitor lintfree cleaning cloth and it created a ton of scratches. Not a big deal, but annoying.
Is the new screen more resistant?

[quote name='ultrarobotninja']
5. The old psp seems to display an overall smoother picture, specially in gradients. When at the cross media bar if you have the background color set to a darker color, like a purple or even black, in the psp slim you notice the changes in the gradient aren't as smooth, You can notice lines when the different shades of the colors meet and there seems to maybe be a dithering effect as well. Looking even closer you can even see a faint grid at the darker shades of the screen.
Meanwhile the old psp displays these same images smooth as butter all shades blending in well.[/QUOTE]

I have noticed this as well. It looks like the gamma is jacked up too bright or something

apologies if this was asked and answered somewhere else.

I have the old psp and am thinking of getting the new one. one thing that kinda bothers me about the old one is the refresh rate, and ghosting of fast moving images.

do you guys with new psps see any ghosting on the screen?

thanks in advance.

[quote name='sparkoc']apologies if this was asked and answered somewhere else.

I have the old psp and am thinking of getting the new one. one thing that kinda bothers me about the old one is the refresh rate, and ghosting of fast moving images.

thanks in advance.[/quote]

I have the slim PSP and, with playing Burnout, I haven't noticed any ghosting at all.

Although, to be fair, I didn't play Burnout on my old PSP, so I don't know if it is still there. i can't find my previous games to try them out either; if I could find Ridge Racer I could try it.

The definitive test would be to play Spiderman 2 on it; that movie ghosted like no tomorrow on my original PSP. If I can somehow dig it out of whatever crevice it's fallen into, I'll let you know.

[quote name='sparkoc']apologies if this was asked and answered somewhere else.

thanks in advance.[/quote]

some guy at the sony forums said he thinks the psp 2000 ghosts more, let me know which game you saw the ghosting in and if I have it ill test it out and let you know

IMO, those comparison pics above aren't so much about "brightness", as it is about the contrast having been turned up higher on that individual (or batch) psp at the factory.

Higher contrast is what would take away image smoothness -- killing gradients and adding jaggies as a result of the forced sharpening and making it appear brighter as well.

Try it with a pic in any image/paint program and you'll see the same happen.

BTW, my big boned PSP has never had an issue with ghosting, nor with it being too dark. In fact I usually leave it on the first brightness setting because anything higher blinds me in a dimmed room.

From what I've read ghosting is no better on the PSP 2000. But I've only ever noticed it in the Daxter demo on my fat PSP.

bread's done
Back