PSP 3000 - $130 at Amazon (PM of KMart)

There will b deals galore in the next few months better than this. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a perm. price drop along with gift card deals and game incentives...buy a pspgo get a psp for free or half off.

Nice but I think I'll still wait... I hope this is a permanent price drop across retailers :whistle2:D I have been waiting years to pick one up and looks like this year might the one to buy it :whistle2:D

Still more happy with my $100 PSPgo, just because it's more portable and lighter, but this is a good deal too. Seems like we're finally seeing them drop in price.

[quote name='artego']Still more happy with my $100 PSPgo, just because it's more portable and lighter, but this is a good deal too. Seems like we're finally seeing them drop in price.[/QUOTE]

But you won't have access to all the PSP games on your PSPgo. Some games will never be released on PSN.

I was just coming on here to post this. I actually put the price match information in on their website this morning, glad to see they matched since I have trade in credit at amazon. $42 off from that, plus no sales tax = I'm returning the unopened psp I just bought from kmart!

If you can find a used PSP Go for 99 bucks, that's a far better way to go. That's especially so if you can get one with firmware 6.20 or lower. 16GB of built in memory.

Great price drop but I'll wait for the the MSRP $110 + $50gc :D
I know PsP2 is coming at the end of the year but I am not interested in buying one on release-date or any time sooner.
I have a Ps3 slim so... would you guys recommend a PsP 3000 or a PsP Go?
Thanks.

[quote name='FerDK']Great price drop but I'll wait for the the MSRP $110 + $50gc :D
I know PsP2 is coming at the end of the year but I am not interested in buying one on release-date or any time sooner.
I have a Ps3 slim so... would you guys recommend a PsP 3000 or a PsP Go?
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Has all the online capabilities plus it's able to play games that were only released on UMD.

If you're interested in playing something like Crisis Core or Birth By Sleep, 3000 is a must since the Go can't play them.

[quote name='laaj']But you won't have access to all the PSP games on your PSPgo. Some games will never be released on PSN.[/QUOTE]

This was conventional train of thought. Now though if you are even considering a PSP2 at least the games you buy on PSN will carry over to the PSP2. At some point you just have to give up on the UMD. Also the PSP library on PSN is nothing to sneeze at. Tactics Ogre will be on PSN and personally I have PSN versions of Disgaea, Jeanne D'arc, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Patapon 2 and a bunch of PSone classics so theres alot there.

[quote name='ponn01']This was conventional train of thought. Now though if you are even considering a PSP2 at least the games you buy on PSN will carry over to the PSP2. At some point you just have to give up on the UMD. Also the PSP library on PSN is nothing to sneeze at. Tactics Ogre will be on PSN and personally I have PSN versions of Disgaea, Jeanne D'arc, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Patapon 2 and a bunch of PSone classics so theres alot there.[/QUOTE]
That doesn't really change the fact that RIGHT NOW there're some very good games that you cannot legally play on the PSP Go.

There's absolutely no reason to get a Go over a 3000, unless you find the 3000 design too big or hard to play on which I and many others don't.

The 3000 can download all the same games off the PSN that the Go can, as well as play games that can't be played on the Go (Birth By Sleep and Crisis Core being the two biggest names).

I wouldn't be surprised to see a PSP3000 permanent price drop to this about this level this sometime this year but I doubt that Sony is going to burn off their stock of PSP3000s prior to the NGP release....The NGP and the PSP are going to be going after different audiences and one isn't going to immediately supplant the other....similar to what Sony did with the PS2 and the PS3. While I doubt they will be still pushing out PSPs in say, 2014, for the near term I would expect the PSP to remain in the market....and probably with a more focus on kid friendly software as Sony pushes the PSP towards a younger market (ie, more stuff like invizimals and less stuff like peace walker)

Aaah, I love Amazon. Finally picked a PSP up.

I'm very satisfied with the $129 price, I really really don't see them dropping it lower later on anyway. Look at the ds lite, it still sells for 129 new.

Now for a 2 for 1 special....

[quote name='TraBuch']That doesn't really change the fact that RIGHT NOW there're some very good games that you cannot legally play on the PSP Go.

There's absolutely no reason to get a Go over a 3000, unless you find the 3000 design too big or hard to play on which I and many others don't.

The 3000 can download all the same games off the PSN that the Go can, as well as play games that can't be played on the Go (Birth By Sleep and Crisis Core being the two biggest names).[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. Also, the fact that psp2 re-introduces a physical flash card based medium for games is an acknowledgment that many people don't want strictly dlc-based content.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']If you can find a used PSP Go for 99 bucks, that's a far better way to go. That's especially so if you can get one with firmware 6.20 or lower. 16GB of built in memory.[/QUOTE]

Are you alluding to pirating games yes/no?

[quote name='laaj']But you won't have access to all the PSP games on your PSPgo. Some games will never be released on PSN.[/QUOTE]
But I'll probably never be able to get a PSP-3000 + 16GB storage brand new for $100 either. :D

I can live without Crisis Core or Kingdom Hearts. I actually have the UMD of Crisis Core, beat it halfway, so if I wanted to, I could get it on the PSPgo. But I am not interested in Kingdom Hearts at all.

[quote name='artego']But I'll probably never be able to get a PSP-3000 + 16GB storage brand new for $100 either. :D

I can live without Crisis Core or Kingdom Hearts. I actually have the UMD of Crisis Core, beat it halfway, so if I wanted to, I could get it on the PSPgo. But I am not interested in Kingdom Hearts at all.[/QUOTE]

Square Enix is apparently using model of business that is not applicable for today's environment. Until they get their shit together, we won't be seeing older PSP titles on PSN anytime soon. O, that includes Crisis Core.

[quote name='TraBuch']There's absolutely no reason to get a Go over a 3000, unless you find the 3000 design too big or hard to play on which I and many others don't.[/QUOTE]

Not true. For one, the Go has 16GB of memory. Though the prices of Pro Duos have dropped significantly since the days of 1GB costing over $100, you're still going to put down a good chunk of change for that kind of memory. The other reason is that the Go is a much more convenient portable media player. I suppose it all really boils down to what exactly you're looking to get out of your PSP experience, but to say that there is absolutely no reason at all to get a Go, especially at $100, is certainly not true.

I just got mine last Wed at Best Buy, took the Kmart ad in on Sunday and they told me that they couldn't PM it since I bought it with the pick up option. Then, they told me to call the customer service. I do that and the douche tells me that they NEVER PM other stores, not in store or online, and they never have. I told him that's not true and he proceeded to argue with me about it.

Guess I'm going to have to go and return it, and if they won't PM it right there and let me rebuy it (or give me a hassle in doing so) that's fine since now I have KMart or Amazon to rebuy one at the same price!

For me, the biggest advantage of the 3000 is that while it may cost more up front (well not now at $130), it's cheaper in the long run. Why? Because you can buy games that are on sale/clearance, used games, and sell your used games. With a PSP go you're forced to buy them at full retail and they rarely go on sale. You should be able to find the official 4g memory cards for $20 and that should be all you need.

I would honestly pick up a GO over a 3000... It's smaller, and the only games I ever gave a crap about playing on a PSP are Madden and driving titles, which are useless if you buy them a year later after everyone had moved on to the new one.

[quote name='Enuf']There will b deals galore in the next few months better than this. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a perm. price drop along with gift card deals and game incentives...buy a pspgo get a psp for free or half off.[/QUOTE]

more like other way around...noone want the piece of shit pspgo

[quote name='JKSonic']For me, the biggest advantage of the 3000 is that while it may cost more up front (well not now at $130), it's cheaper in the long run. Why? Because you can buy games that are on sale/clearance, used games, and sell your used games. With a PSP go you're forced to buy them at full retail and they rarely go on sale. You should be able to find the official 4g memory cards for $20 and that should be all you need.[/QUOTE]

Thankfully this is not completely true. I picked up Phantasy Star Portable 2 and Valkyria Chronicles 2 for $16 a piece over the holidays. Uno was $1 a couple weeks ago. UMDs don't really go on sale that often either. Most sales are for home console games.

[quote name='TraBuch']The 3000 can download all the same games off the PSN that the Go can, as well as play games that can't be played on the Go (Birth By Sleep and Crisis Core being the two biggest names).[/QUOTE]
The only problem with this is that you need a fairly large MemoryStick to have any sort of catalog on your 3000. If you get a 16gb card, that's another $50 you have to spend. The Go has the 16gb built into the system.

I have both and am really enjoying the Go. The size and portability are great. I love not having to fumble with UMDs and like someone else said above UMDs are more or less dead. PSN has enough decent sales for you to build a nice catalog of games and be able to port them over to a NGP, should you choose to get one.
In addition, if you register a PSPGo before the end of March you get 3 free games. Some newer/repackaged PSPGo boxes include a disc with the games.
OP: I'd recommend going to a GS and holding both a used Go and a used 3000 and seeing which one suits you, then go buy them from Kmart, Target or elsewhere.

[quote name='slidecage']...noone want the piece of shit pspgo[/QUOTE]
Wrong. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankfully this is not completely true. I picked up Phantasy Star Portable 2 and Valkyria Chronicles 2 for $16 a piece over the holidays. Uno was $1 a couple weeks ago. UMDs don't really go on sale that often either. Most sales are for home console games.

I can't argue with that too much other then to say that I see UMDs cheap all the time. Plus if you buy them used you can find TONS for under $10...a lot around $5. With the B2G1 online sale Gamestop just had I got 6 UMD games for $30 and another one (Resistance) for $7 at Target...so 7 games for under $40!

Plus, especially with a portable, when I'm done with a game I'm done. I can't sell my digital copy but I can always sell/trade in/trade my UMDs.

I don't understand why PSPs sell for so much on the used market. This is a no-brainer price for anyone on the fence about getting a PSP. You can even get a memory card off amazon and add it to the free shipping.

The Go really does have very narrow benefits that only a few would find to be worth it, but people should get what they please.

PSP arguably has its greatest games coming up this year and it's not like buying a PSP2 in its first year is a smart idea for anyone.

[quote name='panzerfaust']The Go really does have very narrow benefits that only a few would find to be worth it, but people should get what they please.

PSP arguably has its greatest games coming up this year and it's not like buying a PSP2 in its first year is a smart idea for anyone.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I was an early DS adopter and got burned. Ended up selling it and was so pissed off never bought another one, even recently when I was in the market for another portable.

[quote name='TraBuch']That doesn't really change the fact that RIGHT NOW there're some very good games that you cannot legally play on the PSP Go.

The 3000 can download all the same games off the PSN that the Go can, as well as play games that can't be played on the Go (Birth By Sleep and Crisis Core being the two biggest names).[/QUOTE]

Sure, right now there is more games you can play on a PSP3000 then a GO, no one is disputing that. What i'm saying is the GO isn't the joke it used to be and is actually not a bad choice to people, especially now that the money you invest in a PSN game library for it is not totally wasted, where as the money you invest in UMD's RIGHT NOW cannot be transferred to the PSP2 if you are considering that. To YOU there is no reason to get a GO over a 3000 but to others there might. Especially if you can find a nice one used at gamestop for $99. Opinions are a wonderful thing.

[quote name='ponn01'] What i'm saying is the GO isn't the joke it used to be and is actually not a bad choice to people, especially now that the money you invest in a PSN game library for it is not totally wasted, where as the money you invest in UMD's RIGHT NOW cannot be transferred to the PSP2 if you are considering that. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, it would be totally impossible to sell off UMDs and then use that cash towards content on the NGP at such time you wanted to upgrade from a PSP 3000 to a NGP. And it is fairly likely that Sony will reissue some PSP games upgraded to take advantage of the NGP's twin sticks and better graphics, akin to the HD remakes of God of War 1 and 2 on the PS3.

If you want to talk up the go, talk up its other functions (it is a 16gb ipod nano with a bigger screen that plays good games, you don't need to buy a memory stick for it), how small it is, ect. Pushing things like the NGP will play PSPgo digital content is akin saying how awesome the PS3 is because you can play PS1 games on it.

I am surprised this is still the best deal since the black friday amazon bundle. It is only trading in for $32 at amazon. Where is the price drop?

[quote name='panzerfaust']The Go really does have very narrow benefits that only a few would find to be worth it, but people should get what they please.

PSP arguably has its greatest games coming up this year and it's not like buying a PSP2 in its first year is a smart idea for anyone.[/QUOTE]

This. The PSP is only in the past year getting a varied library that piques my interest. I've been getting games and preordering and I don't even own the system yet.

Just trying to get a gauge on how low the price will go (on the 3000) when the PSP2 comes out. Looks like it will probably bottom out at around $100 for a good while.

Anyone claiming there is reason to get a Go is obviously just trying to defend their own ignorant purchase. Sony has all but given up on the handheld by not getting Birth by Sleep on there, which is a huge reason to actually own a PSP. It's the main reason I want one, along with Valkyria Chronicles and Monster Hunter.

The other thing is that you're stuck paying retail except in the cases of sales, but you're likely never to get much of a deal on there. It's just a dumb way to go all around.

Anyways, I was hoping deals would start coming up now that the PSP2 is officially announced. Hopefully we soon see something better than this. I'll need it to come with a game and memory unit at this price before I bite.

I might get my 3rd PSP soon if the prices keep falling down - already sold the previous two, since I realized I played more Angry Birds on my phone, than any PSP game, except for God of War :(

[quote name='Svengoolie']Anyone claiming there is reason to get a Go is obviously just trying to defend their own ignorant purchase. Sony has all but given up on the handheld by not getting Birth by Sleep on there, which is a huge reason to actually own a PSP. It's the main reason I want one, along with Valkyria Chronicles and Monster Hunter.

The other thing is that you're stuck paying retail except in the cases of sales, but you're likely never to get much of a deal on there. It's just a dumb way to go all around.[/QUOTE]
Have you actually touched a Go?
Granted the Go @ MSRP is a horrible deal but at $99 or less, it's much more agreeable. I don't think anyone here is suggesting the OP buy a Go at $200.
However, getting Birth by Sleep is not a "huge reason to actually own a PSP" for everyone. It looks interesting but I could careless about it. I might pick it up once it's on clearance at Target. And see my post above about buying VC2 for $16 off the PSN while the UMD version still retails for $40 in-store.

There are decent sales on the PSN PSP store, like the Atlus one where VC2 and the Persona games were on sale; but I can see the argument that you at least have a choice with a normal PSP. In any case, I liked my (cheap) Gameboy Micro, and I like my (cheap) PSP Go. The main problem with both is that the small form factor can make controlling some games difficult... or at least it seems the placement of the analog nub is a little bit more uncomfortable than on my old PSP phat.

Seeing as how I have an extensive collection of UMDs, especially a bunch of import games that I will never be able to download, I'm tempted to get another PSP...

I don't see why some many people are in here derailing this thread with PSP-GO vs PSP-3000 arguments. :roll:

Oh well. While we are on the subject of other options, I encourage you to make a thread about these $100 PSP-GOs and where they can be purchased. :D

[quote name='Svengoolie']Anyone claiming there is reason to get a Go is obviously just trying to defend their own ignorant purchase. Sony has all but given up on the handheld by not getting Birth by Sleep on there, which is a huge reason to actually own a PSP. It's the main reason I want one, along with Valkyria Chronicles and Monster Hunter.[/QUOTE]
I already had a PSP-1000 before I bought my PSPgo. I also have a sizeable UMD collection. But once I realized I will probably rarely touch those games again (since I've beaten most of them) and plus all the free digital download copies Sony/pack-in with retail games have, my PSPgo has a sizeable digital library now, one that will definitely transfer over to a NGP once I decide to purchase one.

The UMDs were nice, but they're obsolete now. The only games that are still trouble are S-E games which I don't care to play or have already played. And even if I hadn't played them yet, there's still viable ways to play them on a go.

[quote name='ponn01']Especially if you can find a nice one used at gamestop for $99. Opinions are a wonderful thing.[/QUOTE]
I'd never pick up one used. $99 new here. :lol:

For anyone saying that those who defend the Go are trying to justify their purchase, sorry, wrong, try again. I don't own a Go. I have a 2000. If I didn't already own a PSP, though, I would definitely pick up a Go at the right price, but that's because I would use it primarily as a portable media device, with some gaming from time to time. To me, it's a very nifty device that simply just cost too much for the market it was entering.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Not true. For one, the Go has 16GB of memory. Though the prices of Pro Duos have dropped significantly since the days of 1GB costing over $100, you're still going to put down a good chunk of change for that kind of memory.[/QUOTE]

U can get memory sticks cheap I PM'd target @ BB and got 8 gig Sony ones for $15, staples and office max also have deals where 4 gigs are under $7 and 8 gig are $10-$14 u just gotta keep a look out or make a wishlist that updates on ur phone. The 16/32 gig ones are high but if u used a % coupon or one of the spend ___ get a GC for 10% of ur total purchase it can b a good deal.

[quote name='Enuf']U can get memory sticks cheap I PM'd target @ BB and got 8 gig Sony ones for $15, staples and office max also have deals where 4 gigs are under $7 and 8 gig are $10-$14 u just gotta keep a look out or make a wishlist that updates on ur phone. The 16/32 gig ones are high but if u used a % coupon or one of the spend ___ get a GC for 10% of ur total purchase it can b a good deal.[/QUOTE]

I had to look up pro duo prices to see what you were talking about. Wow.

A few weeks ago I bought a 16 GB Memory Stick Micro for my PSP Go... and it seems like the micros (25 to 30 bucks for 16 GB) are much cheaper than the Pro Duos (44 to 47 for 16 GB), and I have no idea why. I have no idea what the NGP is going to use, but I don't see why you can't just buy a micro 16GB and an adapter for much less than the price of a Pro Duo 16GB on Amazon. Is there something wrong with the adapters or the Micros?

The Pro Duo's have always been more expensive than comparable flash memory solutions (i.e.: SD)

However AFAIK, Memory Stick offers a better performance. Although I cannot confirm it myself.

[quote name='pseudonem']I don't see why some many people are in here derailing this thread with PSP-GO vs PSP-3000 arguments. :roll:

Oh well. While we are on the subject of other options, I encourage you to make a thread about these $100 PSP-GOs and where they can be purchased. :D[/QUOTE]
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280616

Also the horrible full MSRP of the PSN for this week:

[quote name='"mkernan"']PSP:
Class of Heroes Legacy – Sale (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Crimson Gem Saga – Sale (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $29.99)
Hammerin’ Hero – Sale (PSP) (now $9.99, original price $19.99)
Hexyz Force – Sale (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $29.99)
Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble – Sale (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Knights in the Nightmare – Sale (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $29.99)
Riviera: The Promised Land – Sale (PSP) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
R-Type Command – Sale (PSP) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable – Sale (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona – Sale (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Steamboat Chronicles Battle Tournament – Sale (PSP) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
Yggdra Union – Sale (PSP) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
Half-Minute Hero – Price Change (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $19.99)

Minis (PSP/PS3):
Mahjongg Artifacts – minis – Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
Mahjongg Artifacts: Chapter 2 – minis – Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
Stand O’ Food – minis – Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $1.99, original price $4.99)
Supermarket Mania – minis – Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
The Mystery Of The Crystal Portal – minis – Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
I Must Run! – minis – Permanent Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $1.49, original price $3.99)
M.O.Z.O.X. Space Salvager – minis – Price Change (PS3/PSP) (now $1.49, original price $2.99)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='pseudonem']I don't see why some many people are in here derailing this thread with PSP-GO vs PSP-3000 arguments. :roll:

Oh well. While we are on the subject of other options, I encourage you to make a thread about these $100 PSP-GOs and where they can be purchased. :D[/QUOTE]

Because fanboyism can (and usually will) go as niche as it has the opportunity to. I'm sure there have been some legitimate Tea Party bickerfests about 'Huntin' Palin' versus 'Speakin' Palin.'

Anyway, thanks, OP. Time to put my Launch Day PSP into 'emergency back-up' retirement status.

bread's done
Back