PSP battery test (IGN)

[quote name='maxflight'][quote name='xzafixz']I find it hard to believe you think these results are good. 3 hours?[/quote]

hmmm why is it hard to believe?[/quote]

Seems like a battery life of 1/4 that of a competitors machine would be the last thing to brag about.

[quote name='xzafixz']I find it hard to believe you think these results are good. 3 hours?[/quote]

3 hours bare minimum.

Regular usage would probably be aroud 5-6 hours.

Unless you are a Nintendo fanboy, then the PSP sucks no matter what.

[quote name='Quackzilla'][quote name='xzafixz']I find it hard to believe you think these results are good. 3 hours?[/quote]

3 hours bare minimum.

Unless you are a Nintendo fanboy, then the PSP sucks no matter what.[/quote]

I'm not a Nintendo fanboy, I am actually very interested in the PSP, but even a 5 hour battery life isn't sufficient.

[quote name='DreamSymphony']Who plays a portable system for more than 3 hours a day? I can barely play console games for a couple hours a day...[/quote]

Oh so true :eek:

[quote name='xzafixz'][quote name='maxflight'][quote name='xzafixz']I find it hard to believe you think these results are good. 3 hours?[/quote]

Seems like a battery life of 1/4 that of a competitors machine would be the last thing to brag about.[/quote]

I don't remember them bragging about it. they were merely stating some results.

[quote name='maxflight'][quote name='xzafixz'][quote name='maxflight'][quote name='xzafixz']I find it hard to believe you think these results are good. 3 hours?[/quote]

Seems like a battery life of 1/4 that of a competitors machine would be the last thing to brag about.[/quote]

I don't remember them bragging about it. they were merely stating some results.[/quote]

I'm talking about nongame, he is a notorious psp lover ds basher.

boy that is one crappy battery the PSP has.
And we haven't even see it play graphic intense games which Sony said would drain the battery even faster.

Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core - 30min of play time on PSP. =P

Doesn't it have an option for half-brightness, if so, I'd like to see some results with that. Even at full-brightness the times are good, since I, for the most part, set my electronics on recharge while I'm not using them. The AC adapter would be a must, of course. If I do get a PSP, it would mark the first time I've ever owned a portable game system. Sony's line up will most certainly suck me in, no doubt.

[quote name='Quackzilla'][quote name='xzafixz']I find it hard to believe you think these results are good. 3 hours?[/quote]

3 hours bare minimum.

90 minutes was the minimum tested, using Ridge Racer, with WiFi (via GameSpot). 90 minutes in a single charge sucks.

Unless you're a Sony fanboy, then the PSP rocks no matter what.

PSP is Hot!!!
Stop hating. play time is closer to 4 than 3. That equals to a morning and evening commute, Lunch break and Playing mp3s for 6 hours!
You guys are nuts! and me too, I am on PSP's nuts!
don't get in my way on release day or you might catch a elbow.. or worse, I might have to use the force on you...

I rather play 90 min. of pure bueaty ( graphic and sound) games on PSP than play 8 hours of crap games on DS anytime... :lol:

[quote name='nonggame']I rather play 90 min. of pure bueaty ( graphic and sound) games on PSP than play 8 hours of crap games on DS anytime... :lol:[/quote]

Oh, great opinion there. :roll:

[quote name='nonggame']I rather play 90 min. of pure bueaty ( graphic and sound) games on PSP than play 8 hours of crap games on DS anytime... :lol:[/quote]

Have you played each and every DS game to completion....and have you played any PSP games.....if either of those answers are no, then your opinion means nothing....if either answer is yes, then your opinion means almost nothing

[quote name='alongx'][quote name='Quackzilla'][quote name='xzafixz']I find it hard to believe you think these results are good. 3 hours?[/quote]

3 hours bare minimum.

90 minutes was the minimum tested, using Ridge Racer, with WiFi (via GameSpot). 90 minutes in a single charge sucks.

Unless you're a Sony fanboy, then the PSP rocks no matter what.[/quote]

IGN got 2:46 playing Ridge Racers on WiFi, unlike GS who doesn't seem to be doing tests like IGN has.

[quote name='nonggame']here you go....Cheap ass link[/quote]

what's your point???

graphics don't make a game...gameplay does

i can make a game that is pure eye candy, but if when you press left on the control you go forward and sometimes the buttons work and sometimes they dont, and sometimes your game saves and sometimes it doesnt then all my pretty graphics have done nothing because you cant play the game

SMB 3, a game that most people love and cherish, didnt have 3D graphics, but it had great gameplay so the game was great.

sure, the PSP may be able to throw out great graphics, but if the games suck it doesnt mean anything

and dont get me wrong, when the US PSP is available i will be buying one and i am getting a DS for xmas, so im not a fan boy, i just dont like unfair critism of game systems

Then you're an idiot. An hour and a half is worthless when it comes to portable devices, especially with the lithium battery.

[quote name='My Name Is BoB'][quote name='peteyrose']3 hours is perfect, and 5-6 is godly.[/quote]

Then what's 8 hours called with the ds?[/quote]

My words exactly.

[quote name='slimpip']Will someone please tell me if i can play while charging? If not then poodoodles.[/quote]
I'm pretty sure you can, charging would just take a little longer however.

[quote name='slimpip']Will someone please tell me if i can play while charging? If not then poodoodles.[/quote]

Yes, you can play while charging. Almost all electronics nowadays let you do that.

And for the whole battery life argument:

Unless it's plain terrible, battery life has little effect on the popularity of electronics. Apple's iPod Mini gives me maybe 6 hours MAX in my experiences, and I still love it due to its simplicity, portability, and ease of use. I just have to remember to charge it every day.

And still, considering the PSP has a crapload of moving parts and features, 4-6 hours average is pretty damn good. I have a feeling Sony will release a better battery in the future, anyway.

No, I'm not a fanboy of either, as I will be deciding which system to buy when they've both had time to establish themselves. Right now I will enjoy my old gameboy advance and Ps2.

EDIT: Woops, apparently the avg is 4-6 hours. My mistake!

[quote name='nonggame']"Give me Liberty or give me death"

"The truth will set you free"................psp[/quote]

again....a statment that doesnt back any of your arguments up

im going to go out on a limb and assume that your a sony fanboy and that you feel that nintendo can do no good and sony can do no evil.....but, thats just a hunch

I don't think 3hours is enough, not that im gonna play 3 hours straight but, Im constantly turning off and on my portable(ds,gbasp) and I feel like I have to charge them frequently. Three hours to a portable gamer is not enough battery life. Let's just say good thing the people who have imported the system gave it some good reviews so far.(based on gameplay and graphics, because battery life is gonna stink)

PSP has still yet to impress me.
Their game library to date is weak, Absolutely NOTHING has been announced that I actually want to play (with the exception of Final Fantasy VII part 4 or is it 5?)

I'm sorry but the graphics are not that impressive, I don't see what the big deal is. And I really don't care. If the games look like bloody photos but the games sucked then the games suck end of story.

But in all seriousness anyone who is passing judgment on which is better this early in the game is a shaq-fuin IDIOT.

Its way to early to be saying who is better then who.

I don't think 3hours is enough, not that im gonna play 3 hours straight but, Im constantly turning off and on my portable(ds,gbasp) and I feel like I have to charge them frequently. Three hours to a portable gamer is not enough battery life. Let's just say good thing the people who have imported the system gave it some good reviews so far.(based on gameplay and graphics, because battery life is gonna stink)

[quote name='CapAmerica']PSP has still yet to impress me.
Their game library to date is weak, Absolutely NOTHING has been announced that I actually want to play (with the exception of Final Fantasy VII part 4 or is it 5?)

I'm sorry but the graphics are not that impressive, I don't see what the big deal is. And I really don't care. If the games look like bloody photos but the games sucked then the games suck end of story.

But in all seriousness anyone who is passing judgment on which is better this early in the game is a shaq-fuin IDIOT.

Its way to early to be saying who is better then who.[/quote]

I had a lot of fun with Dynasty Warriors 4, so that titles interestest me. But I agree, it's too early in the game to pass judgment on either system. Absolutely nothing so far has come out of DS so far that would persuade me to purchase it, but I am not going to slam the system until it has had time to have some quality titles released.

AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!

Why do you guys continue to give NG a reason to speak??! Yes he's an obvious fanboi whose made his decision based on nothing more than the sony name and a few screen shots. If you see one of his posts dont reply to it, it's not worth bothering!

...But of course no one will listen to men because I'm just making too much sense.

I think the real issue now with that battery life is the constant charging. I would think the actual life of the battery itself would be significantly less since it will have to be charged a lot more often than the DS. I think the PSP looks stunning....but it really comes down to how practible it really is now. I really want to wait about 6 months after release to see what the reviews are before diving in.

[quote name='Alpha2']AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!

Why do you guys continue to give NG a reason to speak??! Yes he's an obvious fanboi whose made his decision based on nothing more than the sony name and a few screen shots. If you see one of his posts dont reply to it, it's not worth bothering!

...But of course no one will listen to men because I'm just making too much sense.[/quote]

He said, replying to the topic :)

It has a bad battery life, we already knew that. The question is how much does it matter? Do you need a longer battery life or is that sufficient for you? For me, it's debatable... especially if the battery loses energy after charges and more intense games drain the battery more. On the other hand, I don't play most games over an hour at a time.

[quote name='CrimsonGeist'][quote name='My Name Is BoB'][quote name='peteyrose']3 hours is perfect, and 5-6 is godly.[/quote]

Then what's 8 hours called with the ds?[/quote]

My words exactly.[/quote]
Then what is 40 hours called with 2 AA's on the NGPC?

The problem with these new "portable" handhelds, is that they're not designed to be portable. They're almost just stationary consoles that you happen to hold in your hand. They both need to be designed better, to draw a lot less power, but the PSP is particularly atrocious. 3 hours of battery life? I guess taking this thing on the road isn't an option, not for long anyway. 8 hours isn't that great either.

Like some previously stated, I'm actually impressed. I think this is great and I'm even more excited about the DS. For the game library haters: if you don't like FPS, racer, RPG, puzzler, or action games, then WTF do you like?

bread's done
Back