PSP from Craigslist... Deal of the Century!

metaphysicalstyles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
46 (100%)
I'm overwhelmed with excitement... so I'm finding it necessary to share with you my recent fortune.

This past Monday, I contacted an individual on Craigslist (Winchester, VA) to show interest in his PSP-1000 that he was selling for $25. He informed me that is was in "great shape," "only a small crack," and "works fine."

I had been wanting a PSP-1000 for reasons that are not to be discussed on CAG. ;)

So I agreed to meet to make the transaction.

Upon arrival, I immediately opted to inspect and test the system instead of just handing over the cash and running. The faceplate was in pretty bad shape (had an inch or so crack in the upper right corner). It was missing the top to the analog joystick... and the LCD was totally smashed (would light up, but was cracked to where you couldn't make anything out on the screen).

I declined the transaction, informing the seller in a kind way that his PSP-1000 was a piece of fuck.

He countered with a price that only a crackhead hard-up for cash would offer. $5.00.

Before he could think twice, I agreed and paid him $5.00 IN QUARTERS. :cool:

To make a long story short, I ordered replacement parts for the 1000. Here's my purchase list for the system:

PSP-1000 w/ OFW 3.56 - $5.00
Replacement LCD screen - $19.50 shipped
Replacement Faceplate - $3.50 shipped
Replacement button set - $0.98 shipped

Total = $28.98

Installed the replacement parts today, and it works like a charm. I dare say it is now in "like new" condition.

I almost forgot to add that the seller offered me additional "goods" at the conclusion of our transaction. Yep... you guessed it. He asked if I would be interested in smoking and/or buying some herb. I passed... besides, I had my daughter in the car.

Classic Craigslist sketchiness.

Nice pickup, it is almost like me :

I bought a " what he thought was a broken PSP " from a CAG member for $15. I got it home removed the battery and put my extra battery in and it worked like a charm ;)

I got really lucky :D

I think the bigger picture here is that I can stumble upon someone selling weed if I deal w/ CL? hmm, what could go wrong there??

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Nice pickup, it is almost like me :

I bought a " what he thought was a broken PSP " from a CAG member for $15. I got it home removed the battery and put my extra battery in and it worked like a charm ;)

I got really lucky :D[/QUOTE]

Dammit. I want my PSP back. :lol: Just kidding. Good score though.;) That reminds me of the time I was $5 short for the one crackhead trying to sell a PSP to a local shop for $15. The guy started out wanting $50(had NO ID on him either), then quickly progressed down to $15-20. Needless to say the first word I thought of was 'hot' when describing this potential deal and the PSP.

I tried to get the guy to forgo the 4gb memory stick and drop $5 off the price(since the PSP was in good shape), but he wouldn't have any of it.

[quote name='token2k6']I think the bigger picture here is that I can stumble upon someone selling weed if I deal w/ CL? hmm, what could go wrong there??[/QUOTE]

1) You get jumped and robbed.
2) You get arrested.

Other than those two, I see no downside.:lol:

I'm just wondering why the OP would bring his daughter along when going to meet a craigslist seller.

I usually only bring an intimidating friend, lol.

[quote name='lolwut?']I'm just wondering why the OP would bring his daughter along when going to meet a craigslist seller.

I usually only bring an intimidating friend, lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I bring my friends switchblade and butterfly knife lol

I got my PSP from a kid and his mom trying to trade it in for cash at Gamestop. They were offered $28 and I offered $30. Thing was a refurb strait from Sony and still had the protective silkscreen on the front from when Sony worked on it. Looked brand new.

Good find OP! Welcome to PSPs, and your "reason's not to be discussed on CAG".

[quote name='dinobot']flagged for "reason's not to be discussed on CAG".

hehe... kidding.[/QUOTE]

lmao

ewwww he said the word Firmware in his post !! We have to resolve this issue immediately 30 year ban !!

j/k:roll::roll:

Got a better deal... a FREE PSP from the old displays they kept at Gamestop... only hassle was trying to get through the polycarbonate shell holding the PSP in place and buying a thumbpad for it... other than that it was perfect, sold it months later for 100

[quote name='lolwut?']I'm just wondering why the OP would bring his daughter along when going to meet a craigslist seller.

I usually only bring an intimidating friend, lol.[/QUOTE]

Fortunately, my 10-month-old daughter has four new (and sharp) teeth and a biting habit. BEWARE! :D

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Nice pickup, it is almost like me :

I got really lucky :D[/QUOTE]

I got two playstations 3's this way.

First one was a 60gb first gen model.Seller said it has a crashed hard drive and needed replaced.Well that's what Sony support told him.I bought it for $100 figuring i could throw in a $50 hard drive and have a working 60gb backwards compatible model ps3 for around $150.Well i get home and start messing around with it.I downloaded the latest ps3 update to a usb drive and then installed it to the ps3.Works 100% now.Sold the thing 2 weeks later for $250 :)

The second one i got was a 80gb non backwards compatible model.The lady told me her kids messed with it and now you couldn't see any picture on the screen so it was "broke".I took it home plugged it in and held down the power button to reset all the settings and it worked fine :) I only paid $90 for it and it came with a game as well.Turned around and sold it two days later for $225 without the game :)

[quote name='Chuplayer']Kickass deal, dude. Where did you get the replacement parts? Those would come in handy.[/QUOTE]

I purchased most of the parts from Ebay. Ordered some analog stick tops from Meritline. I was amazed at how cheap PSP parts are. Most LCD screens on Ebay are less than $20. Most other parts are under $5.00 (even for custom color parts).

I have sold at least 10 ps3 games to different people on craigslist and every one of them brought their kid, like i would not shoot them if their kid is there lol...

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']I purchased most of the parts from Ebay. Ordered some analog stick tops from Meritline. I was amazed at how cheap PSP parts are. Most LCD screens on Ebay are less than $20. Most other parts are under $5.00 (even for custom color parts).[/QUOTE]Dealextreme is cheapest for parts.

Clearly this guy was a druggy and hard up on some cash. Nice score...just be careful with who you associate with/meet up with on craig's list. Seriously though next time don't bring your daughter a long even if she is in the car. That dude could have been a nut job.

[quote name='Sk']Seriously though next time don't bring your daughter a long even if she is in the car. That dude could have been a nut job.[/QUOTE]

Well... I take my daughter to WalMart, and that place is always chalked full of "nut jobs." I actually think some of the employees fall into that category. I mean... you're bound to encounter people of the "nutty" persuasion pretty much anywhere you go.

I also live in an area that is relatively low on the crime spectrum. You're more likely to get a bad price on Mexican parking lot produce than encounter any "real" crime.

Thanks for the parenting advice though... thumbs up!

bread's done
Back