August
Madden NFL 09
Tiger Woods 2009

September
Lego Batman
Destroy All Humans: Big Willy Unleashed
Star Wars The Force Unleashed
Buzz Quiz

I love me dat PSP, but that' seriously the worst release line-up ever...

however PSP is selling CRAZY units in jpn rite now!!

so hopefully game developers overseas will begin to do something about that

Yeah, I was quite surprised at how pathetic the PSP "coming soon" list was when I was at Gamestop today. The only "must buy" I see on that list is R-Type Command. Sony may have shot their load early in 2008 with God of War: Chains of Olympus and Final Fantasy: Crisis Core releasing early in the year.

I'm pretty sure it's in development limbo.

As for me I'm definitely getting Clank and Space Invaders. I got Ironman but beat it in an afternoon. I'll probably pick up Hellboy too.

I'm working on Nippon no Asoko de right now and will get to Carpenter's Story after I finish. I'm really looking forward to the Steambot arena combat game that keeps getting bumped back. Let's hope some decent games drop around the holidays.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']sad to say, but all I want on that list is space invaders.[/quote]

And I'm getting it for the DS *shakes head*

I'm sorry...but this list is sad. Sony really didn't anticipate such strong system sales after the Lite version release last autumn? :roll:

I would expect to see some PS1/PS2 ports....seems like a good filler to keep sales up. Really lame....this list looks like a near- EOL system.

Nice work, Sony.

On the other hand, I guess we could have some surprises....

Yikes, based on that list, I won't be buying any PSP games until at least October, and probably not until one of the Star Ocean games is released here.

[quote name='CAGIronMan']Wait, Iron Man is gonna be for the PSP?[/quote]

I already have it and beat it. It's a rental. No PSP exclusive suits and it gets damn repetitive.

Star Ocean 1 and 2 will come stateside. Kingdom Hearts on PSP along with FF Dissidia are still on the pipeline. Coded Soul may come stateside too (Just not by SCEA, since it's an SCEJ game). There's a bunch of Japanese PSP games coming, which may come stateside; however, I do not expect a wide range of games from the west anymore due to the high piracy of the PSP hurting game sales.

I badly want Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee and Secret Agent Clank more than any other handheld game confirmed for stateside release, until Star Ocean 1 and 2 remakes are announced.

Btw, you are also missing Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Heroes 2:
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=71088

I want that game also.
[quote name='evilmrt']I'm sorry...but this list is sad. Sony really didn't anticipate such strong system sales after the Lite version release last autumn? :roll:

I would expect to see some PS1/PS2 ports....seems like a good filler to keep sales up. Really lame....this list looks like a near- EOL system.

Nice work, Sony.

On the other hand, I guess we could have some surprises....[/QUOTE]Don't put the blame on Sony for this one, take a look at this (this was info someone pointed out as to how many downloads they found on just one torrent site of PSP games):
God of War: Chains of Olympus - 94,154
Patapon - 112,183
Ratchet & Clank - Size Matters - 197,113
Crush - 48,959
LOCO ROCO - 163,904
Wipeout Pulse - 116,965
Castlevania X Chronicles - 102,354
Metal Gear Solid - Portable Ops (Not Including Plus) - 231,054
Burnout Dominator - 269,486
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175053

And when you are a developer and experience low game sales due to piracy, you will not continue to support the platform. Also, when people constantly complain about a $40 game, so it drops in price, many devs assume that if a game does not sell X number of copies within a short time around launch, it's a failure and there's no reason to make more sequels/similar games. By people saying "I'll just wait for a price drop" can hurt new games coming to a platform like PSP.

And in case many seem to be forgetting, Patapon, Wipeout Pulse, and many other PSP games that came out this year weren't even listed on Gamestop.com until towards the last minute, so I definitely expect more.

And btw, the PC Store for the PSP still continues to get downloadable games for the PSP, there's a PSP Store coming for the PSP, GPS coming stateside, being able to copy a blu-ray disc drive to the PSP, and many other things, so it will live on.

And yes, there are still PS1 downloads coming to PSP:
# Wipeout XL (E)
# Jet Moto 3 (E)
# Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo (E)
# Buster Bros. Collection (E)
# Street Fighter Alpha (T) -- previously discovered, not released
# Rayman (E)
# Castlevania Chronicles (T) -- previously discovered, not released
http://www.pspfanboy.com/2008/05/02/esrb-lists-potential-upcoming-ps1-downloads/

EDIT: Oh yeah, Phantasy Star Universe is coming to PSP: http://www.psphyper.com/psp/phantasy-star-hitting-japan-this-july/

Out of all those games you listed as not being confirmed but should on the radar, Star Ocean 1/2 are still the only ones I'm interested in. Dissidia is an interesting idea, but I can't see myself wanting to play a fighting game on a handheld. If it plays just like Brawl then maybe, but I doubt it will be like that.

As for PSU, unless it has infrastructure play (and I'm guessing it won't), it's pretty worthless to me. I know 0 people that have a psp and live by me, so ad-hoc multiplayer does me no good. Not to mention it better not have a fee like PSU does for 360/PS2.

Those numbers you posted are also meaningless. While I think piracy sucks, there is no way for you to know how many of those downloads were by people that already own the game and just use CF to have more than one game at a time in their system, or people that wanted to demo the game and then ended up buying it. I'm not going to claim that the majority did not use those for pirating as I obviously have no idea, but I still think those numbers are meaningless.

However, I fully expect some at least decent games to be announced for release by the end of the year, with several others with a TBA released date due to the huge sales the PSP had this past holiday season. If developers are still hesitant to develop PSP games after the big holiday season it had, then there isn't much hope for things getting better.

[quote name='Ryukahn']
Those numbers you posted are also meaningless. While I think piracy sucks, there is no way for you to know how many of those downloads were by people that already own the game and just use CF to have more than one game at a time in their system, or people that wanted to demo the game and then ended up buying it. I'm not going to claim that the majority did not use those for pirating as I obviously have no idea, but I still think those numbers are meaningless.[/QUOTE]Then explain to me why PSP has the lowest software attach ratio, high hardware numbers, and the highest piracy overall? Some of the games listed didn't even sell that high (like Crush), so that pretty much means there were people downloading the games and not buying. And that was just ONE site, according to GAF. Yes, DS and GBA have piracy too, but in much smaller numbers and doesn't affect software sales so much. Before PSP piracy got worse (especially around the initial release of GTA Liberty City Stories and launch), there were a bunch of PSP games that actually sold quite well (Ridge Racer over 1 million copies worldwide, Coded Arms did well, Wipeout Pure did very well, Untold Legends: Brotherhood Blade, Metal Gear Acid, Lumines, etc. did well). Many of the games got sequels, and sold like 10X less compared to their previous installments (despite improving).

Capcom, Namco, Konami, etc. had terrific PSP games that sold very bad in retail, yet had high piracy numbers. which is why they've pretty much given up on supporting PSP like they use to (except for Monster Hunter, which sells in Japan).
This can be chocked up to a number of reasons, which we'll allow you to speculate in our comments section. The PSP was slightly behind the PS3 with 4.2 just in case you were wondering. Install base? Sheer number of games? Price of the console? Versatility of the console? Reliability? Who knows, but despite saying the PS3 is at "the bottom" sort of discounts the fact that on average, people have 4-5 games as soon as they buy their system. That's great!
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/04/25/npd-releases-home-console-attach-rate-ratios-ps3-not-so-hot/

I cannot get people not wanting Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2 unless they don't like golf games. The series is excellent and the 2nd one on PSP has many more features and online play. I badly want that.

You give that link and highlight that the PSP has the lowest attach rate, but don't even say the numbers. According to that data, PSP has a 4.2 attach rate, while the DS has a 4.7 attach rate. The difference isn't even that big, and that's including lesser attach rate due to all of this piracy you say exists (it obviously exists to a certain degree).

IIRC, PSP doesn't even have half the worldwide sales that the DS has, so that's going to take a big chunk of your sales as well. Not to mention the fact that the games generally cost more. What they need to focus on is getting more PSP systems sold, which will then translate into more game sales.

[quote name='Ryukahn']
IIRC, PSP doesn't even have half the worldwide sales that the DS has, so that's going to take a big chunk of your sales as well. Not to mention the fact that the games generally cost more. What they need to focus on is getting more PSP systems sold, which will then translate into more game sales.[/QUOTE]PSP has been topping Media Create sales many times this year in Japan, and I believe it was the top selling Sony platform in the U.S. in March. PSP was the top selling Sony platform over the Holiday season. Sony is definitely selling more than enough PSP handhelds, it's just that game sales still continue to be low.

Still try to explain why Wipeout Pure did 250k+, while Wipeout Pulse sold around 10k (and around 116k were pirated). It might be confirmed that it's coming to PS2 now, which angers me. Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow was a fantastic game (I reviewed it) and sold like 15k or so.

But I dunno, what can Sony do to increase software sales (lowering price isn't an option)?

However, PSP could completely die off like the Dreamcast tomorrow and I'd still be more than glad I bought mine. PSP is a lot like Dreamcast IMO, where it had low software sales due to piracy, many great games went un-noticed, similar control setup (both lack two analog sticks and two more shoulder buttons). I feel the PSP and Dreamcast had the two best launches ever and have many quality games within a short time. I have owned several PSP games and still far from owning everyone I want.

Piracy hardly justifies the seeming lack of attention towards PSP from Sony. Sure it sucks, but by now they should have developed some better security for the games. I'd speculate that they saw PS3 sinking, and decided they needed to focus all their energy into that as it was more important to their long-term plan.

I bought my PSP slim a few months back, and I'm really disappointed with the list the OP provided. I will probably play through Crisis Core this summer and then think about selling the system unless some really decent releases are announced.

I always see tons of PSPs for sale on Craigslist and the like. Now I know why. They're the epitome of a high-rotation system. You can literally play through every worthwhile game on the system in a month or two, and nothing down the road makes it worth hanging on to.

What are you even looking at to come to the conclusion that games are selling low? All these are US sales (keep in mind only around 11 mil PSP units have been sold in US)

God of War: COO 470k
Crisis Core 430k
Patapon 150k for extremely niche game
Final Fantasy Tactics 300k
Madden 08 560k
Jeanne D'Arc 130k
Ratchet & Clank 440k
Burnout Legends 500k

Those all seem really good to me. Compare that to the DS having around 23 million units sold in the US, much larger name recognition, along with cheaper software, and it looks even better. The PSP is doing really well as far as the new player in the handheld scene goes. If developers didn't cry so much about piracy and focused on delivering great games with good advertising, PSP would be doing even better.

As for Wipeout, Pure was a launch title IIRC. Launch titles traditionally sell well, even if they are crap. I have still yet to see a single ad for Wipeout Pulse, not to mention the fact that I have never cared about wipeout and don't know anybody that has. From what I understand it sold well elsewhere. Maybe you should be complaining that they didn't promote it enough.

First things first, Sony needs to drop the price of the games to $29.99. No way i should pay $40 for a game that looks and likely plays better on the PS3/360, etc. Second, they need more exclusives. They also need new franchises. People are getting tired of the same games over and over it seems (for the PSP crowd at least). Patapon and LocoRoco were both a breathe of fresh air. God of War: CoO was amazing. Something like Ico or Shadow of the Colossus would be a system seller i think. Dark Cloud 3 would be a great game for the system. Devil May Cry, Call of Duty 4, Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed...they need both oldies but goodies and newer titles that are popular.

And you know things are bad for publisher support on PSP when this happens:
Tony Hawk may be taking a bit of a break, but it seems Activision has other plans for the Call of Duty series as they will be making COD5 available for six different platforms (PS3, Xbox 360, PC, Wii, Nintendo DS and PS2) when released later this year.
http://darkzero.co.uk/game-news/call-of-duty-5-set-for-six-platforms/

PSP isn't even listed. Sega use to bring PSP versions of their games (like Virtua Tennis, Outrun, Super Monkey Ball Adventure, etc.), but skipped a PSP version of Sega Superstars Tennis (when it could have been very easy porting it from PS2/Wii to PSP). Oh course Activision use to always bring PSP versions of games. Piracy just really hurt it in the west, which is why outside of Japanese developed games, just not many publishers are supporting PSP and why the release list is small.
[quote name='SynGamer']First things first, Sony needs to drop the price of the games to $29.99. No way i should pay $40 for a game that looks and likely plays better on the PS3/360, etc. [/quote]Sony's own games are usually $30 now, but third parties choose to price their games at $40.

Second, they need more exclusives.
How can they get more exclusives when software sales are low, development is just as expensive as PS2 (which is more than DS), and some developers feel if you are thinking of making a PSP game, you might as well just make a game for a console. Sony themselves devotes some development towards PSP games themselves; however, SCE themselves cannot cover tons of exclusives for PSP and PS3 at the same time (because both are in need of a decent number of exclusives). It's like most of their devs (the size of them), cannot develop on both PSP and PS3 at the same time, so usually a game goes PS3 (like for Gran Turismo, where the creator himself pretty much said that as to why there's no PSP GT game right now). Many third parties aren't going to crank out exclusives when their previous PSP exclusives didn't sell and had to port them to PS2.

They also need new franchises. People are getting tired of the same games over and over it seems (for the PSP crowd at least). Patapon and LocoRoco were both a breathe of fresh air.
Unfortunately, those games did not sell well at all. Games like GoD of War: CoO, R&C: Size Matters, Daxter, etc. were their better selling games, when they were apart of an existing franchise.

Something like Ico or Shadow of the Colossus would be a system seller i think. Dark Cloud 3 would be a great game for the system.
Team ICO's focus is on PS3. And while their games are unique, they aren't system sellers in reality (kind of niche, where it's the hardcore who love them). Dark Cloud 3 is more likely on PS3; however, Level 5 has already made a PSP game (which was brand new too, known as Jeanne D'Arc), but performed pretty badly in Japan and U.S. (and it was very good too, which is a shame).

Devil May Cry, Call of Duty 4, Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed...they need both oldies but goodies and newer titles that are popular.
Other popular series like Rainbow Six, Ghost Reacon, and other series on consoles that had a portable version, performed pretty bad. I mean, why buy a PSP version of these games when many of them just aren't made to work on PSP right (and really more of a console oriented game, especially CoD4). I do think DMC would be great to have on PSP, but after many Capcom's PSP games underperformed (except for Monster Hunter) and the focus being on DMC for consoles (would you rather have DMC on PS3/360 or PSP overall, that's a decision many devs actually have to face), it's why it didn't happen (and the RE developers are still working on RE5).

I'm not trying to bash PSP in anyway because I love PSP. However, I will admit that many publishers just don't care to support it anymore when their games just aren't selling on PSP. Many publishers are all about the $$$. And even if DS doesn't have the highest tie ratio, DS games costs like 1/3 to make, so selling less isn't really an issue.

hmm, those upcoming releases are disappointing, as it is tho, I have a backlog of psp titles to beat and haven't even gotten to god of war. Looking forward to echocrhome though.

Also, I have cfw on my psp and play all of my games off the memory stick.
I have bought the games, but running them off the memory stick in terms of load time, battery life, wear/tear and having a larger library to immediately draw on are tremendous. Sometimes I rip the image myself, other times I download the torrent.

The only game I want off the OP's list is Space Invaders. I did want R-Type at one point, but that was before I learned it's not a shmup.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Valhalla Knights 2 confirmed.

I enjoyed the first but its flaws (repetitive, no clear direction towards objectives) were glaring towards the end of the game. Hopefully some of them will be addressed in the second.[/QUOTE]Awesome news. Glad XSeed still gives PSP some good support. I hope they announce Coded Soul for stateside release (I could see them doing it).

Here are some more articles:

Sony's David Reeves admits to PSP drought
http://www.pspfanboy.com/2008/05/09/sonys-david-reeves-admits-to-psp-drought/

Interest in PSP is returning, says Infected dev
http://www.pspfanboy.com/2008/05/09/interest-in-psp-is-returning-says-infected-dev/

David Reeves said there will be more PSP games coming from Japan (due to successes), but we will have to wait (since there's translation time and all). Planet Moon in the 2nd article had to abandon PSP development since After Burner and Infected just couldn't sell, but if PSP does get better software sales, they may return.

it's not like the that's a list of all the psp games coming out in those months... Also in gaming all the great games come out between october and december

I sure hope there are a lot more games announced at E3.

I just got another PSP (GOW Red) after not having one for over a year. Last year and early this year were fantastic for PSP release. Hopefully there will be something as great as God of War or Crisis Core later in the year.

I hope they release Star Ocean, I already have the second one so I don't need a port but the first one would be nice to have. I also hope they come out with Tales of Destiny 2, I was pissed when it was passed over for a PS2 release. It's a second chance.

bread's done
Back