PSP Games to Avoid

Ebraum

CAGiversary!
Since we have a new topic to suggest PSP games every other day, I think we need one to point out the garbage. What games do you recomend to avoid at all cost.

Only terrible game I've actually played was Tenchu 16. I'm not sure which Tenchu game is actually is, but you pretty much know before playing it that a Tenchu game will not be enjoyable.

Ahh.... I remember when there was an Xbox demo disc that had Ninja Gaiden and Tenchu on it. Fair comparison.

[quote name='Chacrana']Only terrible game I've actually played was Tenchu 16. I'm not sure which Tenchu game is actually is, but you pretty much know before playing it that a Tenchu game will not be enjoyable.

Ahh.... I remember when there was an Xbox demo disc that had Ninja Gaiden and Tenchu on it. Fair comparison.[/QUOTE]

Ive never played a Tenchu game until the recent 360 verson...and...I'm enjoying it. I HATE Splinter Cell. I'll have to give the PSP version a try.

if you hate loading times stay away from any poker game

only game i ran into that i couldnt stand Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure mostly cause of camera issues.

February 2005 Issue of XBM.
Yeah....I don't know why I remember that either.

[quote name='Chacrana']Only terrible game I've actually played was Tenchu 16. I'm not sure which Tenchu game is actually is, but you pretty much know before playing it that a Tenchu game will not be enjoyable.

Ahh.... I remember when there was an Xbox demo disc that had Ninja Gaiden and Tenchu on it. Fair comparison.[/QUOTE]

Gurumin is a great game. The camera wasnt a problem for me

avoid Midnight Club and WWE because the load time are just bad.

[quote name='62t']Gurumin is a great game. The camera wasnt a problem for me

avoid Midnight Club and WWE because the load time are just bad.[/QUOTE]

i might be having some issues with my PSP. I popped in a few other games and they just dont look right

i only played gurumin for around 30 mins. Probally later this month i will give it another chance. Have no plans on selling it but just wasnt my cup of tea :)

[quote name='62t']
avoid Midnight Club and WWE because the load time are just bad.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more

Tenchu PSP is import only. Other games with bad loading time includes Ys, Generation of Chaos, and Spectral Soul

[quote name='NamPaehc']Tenchu on the PSP is not worth the time. The drawdistance, or lack there off, REALLY ruins the experiance.[/quote]

I don't mean for this to come off as an insult, but have you played Tenchu - Time of the Assassins PSP; or are you just going off what others told you about the draw distance?

I'm asking because I imported it just last month(the EU version, because I don't know anywhere near enough Japanese to play Shinobi Taizen) and the draw distance has been nowhere near a killing factor for the game as I've been able to manuever efficiently and rack up quite a lot of "Grand Master" and "Assassin" ratings.

As a matter of fact, the presence of the advanced system/play mechanics of Wrath of Heaven, an advanced version of the level editor from Tenchu 2, co-op custom levels and the fact that you can select from 33 playable characters in all modes have made this Tenchu game has made Tenchu PSP my favorite Tenchu.

Every RPG on the PSP has had some kind of redeeming qualities even if it had major backdraws, or at least had a lot of appeal for niche or hardcore RPGamers(as was the case with Ys, Blade Dancer, Generation of Chaos, Spectral Souls, Valhalla Knights, Monster Kingdom, etc)... but Astonishia Story is hard to enjoy for even the most open-minded hardcore gamer - it doesn't even seem like a finished product.

[quote name='pete5883']If you have no patience for a high difficulty level, stay away from Monster Hunter Freedom.[/quote]

You are not kidding. I used to be pretty impatient with it but when it gets tough I just try as many insane wyvern suicides as I can until I'm over it.

[quote name='pete5883']If you have no patience for a high difficulty level, stay away from Monster Hunter Freedom.[/QUOTE]

hard to get into but highly addictive.

[quote name='yukine']Metal Gear Acid 2 is incredibly boring, I feel asleep!![/QUOTE]

Easily one of the better game on PSP, a lot of people agree with me.

62t speaks the truth. MGA is only boring if you got it looking for MGS. MHF is one of the PSP's best games, and can easily suck up 200 or so hours.
I'm very surprised to see Gurumin mentioned here... even the casual gamers that didn't have enough devotion to games to enjoy Generation of Chaos, Blade Dancer, Spectral, etc liked Gurumin, and it was very well received amongst critics - especially for a niche RPG. I can't say I had any problems with Gurumin's camera, but I do wish there were some sort of mini-maps in the larger dungeons.

On most other boards, this topic would have immediately been showered with Rengoku, Coded Arms, PoP: Revelations, any RPGs the gamer bought expecting something similar to a more popular franchise, and a lot of games that are no where near being bad games and turned into a flame war by the hardcore gamers that disagreed. Personally I found enjoyment in all of those, and are impressed with how long this topic has gone without the mentioning of those.

...that, and The Con. Every fighting game on the PSP is a better choice than The Con.

[quote name='TLR']

...that, and The Con. Every fighting game on the PSP is a better choice than The Con.[/quote]

The Con has broken and frustrating hit detection, the most important aspect of a fighter.

However, I picked it up for $4.00 at Kmart and it has been worth it.

Of what games I have, I don't really have anything to add to this list :cool:

[quote name='TLR']I don't mean for this to come off as an insult, but have you played Tenchu - Time of the Assassins PSP; or are you just going off what others told you about the draw distance?

I'm asking because I imported it just last month(the EU version, because I don't know anywhere near enough Japanese to play Shinobi Taizen) and the draw distance has been nowhere near a killing factor for the game as I've been able to manuever efficiently and rack up quite a lot of "Grand Master" and "Assassin" ratings.

As a matter of fact, the presence of the advanced system/play mechanics of Wrath of Heaven, an advanced version of the level editor from Tenchu 2, co-op custom levels and the fact that you can select from 33 playable characters in all modes have made this Tenchu game has made Tenchu PSP my favorite Tenchu.[/quote]

Well first off, you imported the game. That puts you in a catorgory outside the main gamers doesn't it? :) Importers standards are a lot different. You're willing to deal with quirks and oddness and enjoy games that others might never even glance at. "I don't mean for this to come off as an insult."

Yes I've played it and I was very disappointed. I wanted a portable Tenchu but I felt like it took to much effort to figure out how to NOT stumble about in the darkness. You must have been willing to put more time into it where I was expecting my years of experiance with past Tenchu titles to translate over to the PSP. Just like Syphon Filter, was like riding a bike. Tenchu... Like riding a bike, on ice... in the darkness... with a blind fold on.

I'll pop it in again and give it another chance but really, it was more of a fustration then anything remotely enjoyable- for me. /waves

I know, I loved both Acid games. I was just trying to be clever, with the "I feel asleep" joke.

I better not quit my day job.

[quote name='furyk']Anything with the word "Brain" in it. Also "Ultimate" is a pretty nice word to avoid.[/QUOTE]

true except Ghosts & Goblins is amazing game... most impressive graphics i've seen on the system, no joke.

The only games I can't stand were because the loading times were ridiculous (at least when I played them, ymmv), such as Midnight Club 3 or Lego Star Wars II (sadly, I love the 360 version)...I believe MG: Acid is of a love it or hate it persuasion, but I'd recommend the first one thoroughly, yet to play the second.

-Dr. Ugly

[quote name='yukine']Metal Gear Acid 2 is incredibly boring, I feel asleep!![/quote]

i find the ac!d games pretty fun, challgening, and awsome startiges
its most likely the few of the best psp titles

Death Jr...I was disappointed when I played it. Camera wasn't good, controls were iffy too. Thought it would be a good platformer.

[quote name='TLR']I don't mean for this to come off as an insult, but have you played Tenchu - Time of the Assassins PSP; or are you just going off what others told you about the draw distance?

As a matter of fact, the presence of the advanced system/play mechanics of Wrath of Heaven, an advanced version of the level editor from Tenchu 2, co-op custom levels and the fact that you can select from 33 playable characters in all modes have made this Tenchu game has made Tenchu PSP my favorite Tenchu.

Every RPG on the PSP has had some kind of redeeming qualities even if it had major backdraws, or at least had a lot of appeal for niche or hardcore RPGamers(as was the case with Ys, Blade Dancer, Generation of Chaos, Spectral Souls, Valhalla Knights, Monster Kingdom, etc)... but Astonishia Story is hard to enjoy for even the most open-minded hardcore gamer - it doesn't even seem like a finished product.[/QUOTE]

You must have a lot more patience than I do... Tenchu PSP just felt completely shoddy in every respect. It wasn't just the draw distance -- it was the fact that the camera was horribly broken, the controls sucked, the animation was awful, and it just wasn't fun. I had the European import as well.

Maybe I do just have more patience for this sorta thing. Looking back at the old MHF days, I was about the only one of my small PSP group that didn't give up after being beaten down by YKK, Los, Garuga and the like.

I dunno, I just didn't have any problems with Tenchu PSP, camera never seemed to give me any problems that couldn't be quickly fixed with a L trigger tap, controls did what I needed them to, and the black fog only made me stop ignoring my KI meter/start actually using the terrain to make my stealth ops more efficient.

Maybe it's just that I've gotten used to the analog nub after so much PSP gaming or something; I handed it over to dad (been gaming longer than I've been alive, and way more of a ninja game fanatic than I am) and it took him a few minutes before he could navigate efficiently too.

Avoid Armored Core: Formula Front, I got it for only $10 at that GS sale and the controls and camera made me regret buying it, should've picked up 2 UMD movies instead.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Death Jr...I was disappointed when I played it. Camera wasn't good, controls were iffy too. Thought it would be a good platformer.[/quote]

I agree 100%. The camera was so wild that I had to put the PSP down to calm down my vertigo.

bread's done
Back