PSP Gamesharing Group - Closed - Start a new group!

Yanksfan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
I am interested in getting a long term PSP Gamesharing Group going. I have been apart of a successful long term PSN gamesharing group, so I have no problem being the 'leader'. The easiest way for everyone to contribute, IMO, will be through the use of PSN cards to the group account. We can each put $20 in every 2-3 months and vote on the games we want to buy with our pooled money. It has worked very well in the other group I have been apart of and I feel it can be successful here too. My preference will be to have a group of people that have been here for awhile, or have been active/contributing to the site, or have successful feedback in the marketplace. Any or all three will be considered, but if you lack all three, feel free to hit me up in a PM.

To kick off the group, I might pick up a few games and toss them on the group account for everyone. That will be a nice starting point. :D

Anyone interested? Hopefully we can get this off the ground soon, as there are some decent games on sale right now. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, nobody responded yet?

I'm interested but I've got a few questions (let me know if they are already answered in another thread).
1) From what I've heard, each game can only be installed on up to 5 different PSP devices. This means that if we have 5 members, each of us can only install the game on a single device, correct?

2) Do you plan on having 5 members in the group and each person gets a copy of the game whether they really want it or not (if they were outvoted)?

3) Is it possible for me to combine games from two different PSN accounts on the same device? That is, can I install games from my personal PSN account and games from this gamesharing group's account?

4) Is there a way for members to leave the group?

In any case, the more I think about it the more I'm interested in being in the group because I dropped about $60+ bucks last month on games I'm pretty sure this group would have been getting (MGS:pW, P3P, Persona, Young Thor, etc) and there are a few more I'm interested in getting (Disgaea games, etc). Send me a PM if you are still interested in hosting the group.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']
3) Is it possible for me to combine games from two different PSN accounts on the same device? That is, can I install games from my personal PSN account and games from this gamesharing group's account?
[/QUOTE]

Negative, only one account can be authorized at one time on a PSP system. Therefore, only that accounts games can be played. You would have to de-authorize that account and re-authorize a different account to play that accounts games.

A PSP can only be authorized 5 times. (PSPGo for sure, not certain on other models)

That's pretty much why no one has replied.

[quote name='king9x']Negative, only one account can be authorized at one time on a PSP system. Therefore, only that accounts games can be played. You would have to de-authorize that account and re-authorize a different account to play that accounts games.

A PSP can only be authorized 5 times. (PSPGo for sure, not certain on other models)

That's pretty much why no one has replied.[/QUOTE]

Huh, so basically you would have to dedicate a PSP for gameshare account? Yeah, that would limit the options, and while I do have more than one PSP, I'm not sure I'd want to dedicate one for this purpose and not be able to play the other games I've already purchased.

Is this the same case with the PS3 gamesharing?

[quote name='king9x']Negative, only one account can be authorized at one time on a PSP system. Therefore, only that accounts games can be played. You would have to de-authorize that account and re-authorize a different account to play that accounts games.

That's pretty much why no one has replied.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the answer to his question is 'Yes'. He asked if he can combine games from two different accounts on the same device. I have several accounts on my PSP and all the games/saves installed at all times. You are correct that you have to switch accounts depending on what game you want to play, but it is literally a five second process.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Huh, so basically you would have to dedicate a PSP for gameshare account? Yeah, that would limit the options, and while I do have more than one PSP, I'm not sure I'd want to dedicate one for this purpose and not be able to play the other games I've already purchased.

Is this the same case with the PS3 gamesharing?[/QUOTE]

No, you do not have to dedicate a PSP to a gamesharing account. I have several different accounts on my PSP at all times. I am going to post an scenario in how I manage my titles, and maybe from that, you can get a better idea of how it works and if it is something you are interested in.

On my PSP Go, I have two different accounts. One is my personal account and one is a secondary account. On my personal account, I bought Final Fantasy 7. On my secondary account, I bought LittleBigPlanet and Modnation Racers.

When I boot up my PSP, lets say I log into my personal account first. I see all three games installed in my games section, even though Final Fantasy 7 is the only game associated with my main account. I can see the saves, manage all the data, etc for FF7, LBP and MNR.

However, the only game I can actually play right now is Final Fantasy 7, because I am logged into my main account. I can select that right now, boot up fine and play to my heart's content. However, let's say I now have an itch to play Modnation Racers. I exit FF7 like I normally would, but I don't choose Modnation Racers from my game menu yet, because I am not in the right account. If I did try to boot it right now, it would give an error.

All I do is go to my account information, deauthorize my personal account (note: this does not remove your account, change your account or do anything at all to your account), move a few menus over, choose my secondary profile, go back over to where I was and authorize this account. It takes me just a handful of seconds. Now, I can play both Modnation Racers and LittleBigPlanet.

Once I tire of those, I can do the exact same thing again to access Final Fantasy 7. Or, I can just keep that account authorized on my PSP, turn it off and when I go to play next, those will be the games I have immediate access to.

Hopefully, some of that was useful information. You may not want to go through that hassle just to get cheap games. I personally am not put off by the process. I do want a long term group though, so I don't have numerous different accounts I have to manage on my PSP. But managing two accounts does not seem to be a sweat.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Wow, nobody responded yet?

I'm interested but I've got a few questions (let me know if they are already answered in another thread).[/QUOTE]

Let me answer a few of these remaining questions.

1) From what I've heard, each game can only be installed on up to 5 different PSP devices. This means that if we have 5 members, each of us can only install the game on a single device, correct?
Correct.

2) Do you plan on having 5 members in the group and each person gets a copy of the game whether they really want it or not (if they were outvoted)?
I would like to have five good, active, responsible members. That is the ideal scenario. Given the lack of interest (I have someone from my other long term PSN gamesharing group maybe interested, but that is it), finding 5 members may be difficult. But, even with three members, that is 1/3 the price of everything.

My plan is that we would each put in $20 to the account (we can do this every month initially, then back off to every two or three months) and we would each post the games we are interested in. Games all of us are interested in would be definite purchases. From there, we would go down the list and use the remaining funds to purchase the games that have the majority votes. You may not get every game you want, the group may end up getting a game or two you already have, and you may end up with a few you did not have much interest in. But you will still be way ahead in terms of money saved overall, and you may have found a few games you didn't have initial interest in, that you end up liking.

That scenario has worked quite well for the gamesharing group I have been in. But I am open to running the group in a different manner as well.

Yes, as answered in the post above.

4) Is there a way for members to leave the group?
Yes, no one is forced to stay in. We could do this for several months, build up an insane bank of games, and decide we do not need to do this anymore. Or we could just do it every 3-6 months and nab whatever new releases come out.

If an individual wants out, but the remaining people want to continue, we would have to work that out. We could create a new account to use for the remaining members (and possible replacement), so all new games purchased moving forward is available to those that remain contributing, but still not take access to the already purchased games away from the member that left. It is ideal to get the right fit of people up front though, so we can be a long term group. The less accounts we have to manage on the PSP, the better. I can see why people would not want to do 'shares' of PSP games like they do with PSN, but I don't see why a good, long term group wouldn't be worthwhile for PSP owners.

I am also open to thoughts on this matter though.

[quote name='king9x']
[/QUOTE]

If there really is a limit to the number of times you can authorize your psp to s certain account then gamesharing would indeed be difficult.

How many times have you deauthorized your account Yanksfan?

[quote name='Gamehead']If there really is a limit to the number of times you can authorize your psp to s certain account then gamesharing would indeed be difficult.

How many times have you deauthorized your account Yanksfan?[/QUOTE]

I don't know..maybe around a dozen times or so.

[quote name='Gamehead']If there really is a limit to the number of times you can authorize your psp to s certain account then gamesharing would indeed be difficult.

How many times have you deauthorized your account Yanksfan?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Yanksfan']I don't know..maybe around a dozen times or so.[/QUOTE]

Yanksfan, is that with a PSPgo or a regular PSP? From what king9x said you couldn't authorize a PSPgo more than 5 times so I'm just wondering anyone has either confirmed that or proven it to be false since I have PSPgo (and PSP-3000). Is anyone aware of a situation where they weren't able to authorize their PSP anymore, because if that can really happen, that would really suck. Or conversely, a PSP sharing group that has been doing this consistently w/o any problems for a while?

I agree that it wouldn't be a good deal unless we're talking about a long-term group because I can see how switching between more than 2 accounts (personal and group) would be a real pain for everyone involved. But I am still interested. I'll follow-up with you again via PM.

Sounds like a pain in the ass, and great potential for problems.

The people who would benefit most would be PSPGo owners, or people who DL full $40 games/RPGs. Everyone else who just buys PSOne imports can just buy their own games, it's cheap enough.

Can two people play the same game at once? You'd also have to keep a list of games on the accounts.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Yanksfan, is that with a PSPgo or a regular PSP? From what king9x said you couldn't authorize a PSPgo more than 5 times so I'm just wondering anyone has either confirmed that or proven it to be false since I have PSPgo (and PSP-3000). Is anyone aware of a situation where they weren't able to authorize their PSP anymore, because if that can really happen, that would really suck. Or conversely, a PSP sharing group that has been doing this consistently w/o any problems for a while?[/quote]

Mine is a PSPGo and I have yet to have an issue. I will do the process another handful of times though and post my results. I did a Google search and did not find any such limitations stated, but perhaps I missed something, or did not use good search criteria. If I am wrong though, I have no problems being shown that. I just have yet to find any information that actually says that, and I have not experienced it myself in deactivating and reauthorizing accounts thus far.

[quote name='2DMention']Sounds like a pain in the ass, and great potential for problems.

The people who would benefit most would be PSPGo owners, or people who DL full $40 games/RPGs. Everyone else who just buys PSOne imports can just buy their own games, it's cheap enough.

Can two people play the same game at once? You'd also have to keep a list of games on the accounts.[/QUOTE]

It really doesn't sound like a pain in the ass to me, but that is just my perspective. I do it already myself and it is no problem switching accounts. However, that is just my opinion/perspective.

Also, yes, PSOne games are cheap enough, but you could still get 5 PSOne titles for the price of one in a gamesharing group. Maybe that doesn't appeal to you, maybe it does. That is up to you to decide.

And yes, two people can play the same game at once.

At this point, I have moved on with a friend of mine and we are just doing a two man group together since we have very similar interests in games.

For those curious though, it works fine. I switch from different accounts, authorizing and deauthorizing them each time, and it works just fine. There does not appear to be a limit to how many times this can occur. The only differences between PSP and PSN gamesharing appears to be:

- You have to be logged into the account that bought the game (multiple people can be logged into the account at the same time and playing the same game simultaneously. My friend and I bought MGS: Peace Walker together and played coop together, while both logged under the same account).
- You need to be connected to the internet to change accounts.

If neither of these things are a hassle to you (they certainly are not to me), then you should seriously explore gamesharing PSP games. It takes little to no time to switch between accounts and the payoff of cheaper PSP and PSOne games are well worth the trade off. I will be logged into our gamesharing account the vast majority of the time, and he will be all the time, so there is little need for either of us to switch anyways. We just boot up and play the games we have bought together.

Actually, my friend and I have decided to open the group up to others that have similar tastes/goals. So far, we have found one here on CAG and are looking for two more. The group has its strongest interest in RPGs, with Puzzle and Action games also being of interest.

If anyone is interested, either reply here or shoot me a PM. We have a CAG social group set up and you can be invited to join in our discussion.

[quote name='Gamehead']Can you list the games you are looking forward to for the future to give me an idea of what's coming for the group?[/QUOTE]

PMed.

Hey I just got a PSPgo for xmas and am really interested. I'm not super active here on CAG, but have done PS3 shares through slickdeals and hosted and all that. i'd be interested in knowing what games you would like to get and really do this if at all possible

To update, the group is full and we have moved forward with our first round of purchases.

For those interested, there is no reason for another group to not be started. Looks like Vegoku and rkrocks123 is interested. PM me if you have any questions that still need to be answered or I will still try to check this thread at times as well.

bread's done
Back