PSP Go 99.99 at Archambault.ca

That's a great deal. I've been waiting for the sub-$100 pricing to hit... sadly, my budget is spent at the moment. Argh! Oh well. This probably won't be the last time that PSP Go is on sale.

cant decide if i want to jump in on that...

psp go makes it cost more to get games since you have to pay msrp for games on psn instead of umd games that can be on sale

talked to staples.ca and they wont price match this during boxing day... that would have been another 10 $ off the psp go since they still sell them for 200$

It's a great price if you load the new exploit on it and already have a hacked PSP in order to get UMD games on to it.

The UMD versions of games are so damn cheap these days... Why would anyone ever need to own a pspgo.

I love my psp and I hate to think this but Sony's lack of support for the PSP lately (downloadable games and retail games) has me thinking they may discontinue it sometime in the near future. Maybe the psp2 rumors are true... I dunno.

I own a Go and love it, actually. I like the size, weight, analog placement and having all my games on one 16 gig drive. Games will be more expensive overall, but PSN does have sales (just bought Valkyria Chronicles 2 for $15.99). If you're a regular PSP owner (and I was) you will loose the ability to play your UMD's. *shrug* It's a great little system with pros and cons. To each their own.

Anyone thinking they'll be able to carry over those UMD games onto PSP2 are kidding themselves. The only way there will be backwards compatibility will be via PSN downloads.

[quote name='Dragon52']Anyone thinking they'll be able to carry over those UMD games onto PSP2 are kidding themselves. The only way there will be backwards compatibility will be via PSN downloads.[/QUOTE]

You probably made this comment because of my mentioning of the psp2. We don't even know if there will be one yet. Besides, I think it's pretty clear that UMDs are a dead gaming format because Sony never would have tried to cannibalize their own market by making the pspgo in the first place.
With Sony's track record with backwards compatibility, I would never be under the delusion of them including UMD (or psp1) support in any follow up hand-held system. Unless of course there was money to be made by including that feature.

[quote name='Mattblasto']You probably made this comment because of my mentioning of the psp2. We don't even know if there will be one yet. Besides, I think it's pretty clear that UMDs are a dead gaming format because Sony never would have tried to cannibalize their own market by making the pspgo in the first place.
With Sony's track record with backwards compatibility, I would never be under the delusion of them including UMD (or psp1) support in any follow up hand-held system. Unless of course there was money to be made by including that feature.[/QUOTE]

We know it's coming.

As for money to be made, Sony earns a 30% cut off each PSN transaction. They have a couple hundred PSP games already on the Store. It would be foolish to keep that up only for an obsolete platform.

Dude, I'm agreeing with you but now Im not even sure where you're going. I'm talking about UMDs and you're talking about the PSN. I also didn't say the PSP brand is going anywhere. Even that article says the same thing, Sony has yet to announce the PSP2. Just because people may or may not be developing games for it doesn't mean Sony can't just cancel the system. It has happened in the past. Until it's confirmed, I say it doesn't exist yet.

Sony is clearly trying to sell more games digitally. Like I said, that's why PSPGo was created. Sony has nothing to lose by selling data to people at retail prices. They will and are losing money on UMDs.

[quote name='Mattblasto']Dude, I'm agreeing with you but now Im not even sure where you're going. I'm talking about UMDs and you're talking about the PSN. I also didn't say the PSP brand is going anywhere. Even that article says the same thing, Sony has yet to announce the PSP2. Just because people may or may not be developing games for it doesn't mean Sony can't just cancel the system. It has happened in the past. Until it's confirmed, I say it doesn't exist yet.

Sony is clearly trying to sell more games digitally. Like I said, that's why PSPGo was created. Sony has nothing to lose by selling data to people at retail prices. They will and are losing money on UMDs.[/QUOTE]

A company doesn't file various patents, trademarks, spend millions on R&D, and send out devkits unless they truly plan on releasing a successor. There have been reports of Japanese studios having kits as early as last year. They've sold 60 million PSPs, a new platform is going to happen.

Also, it costs less than a few dollars to manufacture UMDs. They aren't losing money on them, they just aren't able to make more because no one is making them.

So Costco has the PSP 3000 with Little Big Planet and a 1 gig card for $130, while the Go can be had (with no games) for $90-$100. The Go is tempting, but I have no idea what games cost on PSN (or if anything is worth getting at all). Any owners want to comment which one is a better buy?

[quote name='fsm']So Costco has the PSP 3000 with Little Big Planet and a 1 gig card for $130, while the Go can be had (with no games) for $90-$100. The Go is tempting, but I have no idea what games cost on PSN (or if anything is worth getting at all). Any owners want to comment which one is a better buy?[/QUOTE]

A 3000. You can use UMD games and download games off the PSN. A larger memory stick is very cheap if you look around.

Also several old games are not available on PSN, only on UMD.

[quote name='fsm']So Costco has the PSP 3000 with Little Big Planet and a 1 gig card for $130, while the Go can be had (with no games) for $90-$100. The Go is tempting, but I have no idea what games cost on PSN (or if anything is worth getting at all). Any owners want to comment which one is a better buy?[/QUOTE]

On a pure value basis, the 3000 is the better deal, solely because you have access to the full library and can buy games wherever they're the best value (probably more often on UMD, but of course the 3000 doesn't preclude you from buying download titles).

Of course, the Go is newer and sexier - something I can't discount - but it's not a device I could see myself buying. That said, despite the fact that I've got a bunch of games for it that I like, I almost never play my PSP

A brand new Go comes with LittleBigPlanet, Socom: Fireteam Bravo 3, and Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters. Ergonimaclly, and pocket-wise the Go is the best handheld ever designed. It's sleek, and has improved analog nub positioning.

Just briefly, notable non-PSPGo titles I can think of:
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth; Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, FF7: Crisis Core (i think)

Cost considerations:
PSP-3000: ~130, but you'll need a new memory stick immediately (32mb is not enough). So that's another ~30-40, I'd say these days you need a good 4-8gb if you want to play PSOne classics.

PSPGo: ~100, but you're stuck paying the PSN prices since you can't buy used games, and you have no access to previous UMD released games.

Having said that I much, much prefer the PSPGo hardware (physical system) itself. Comfier, sleeker. It really depends what PSP games you anticipate playing. For me, I really only play PSOne Classics and some newer released PSP titles, so the GO is plenty good for me. It's really handy having all your games loaded to the system.

[quote name='Dragon52']A brand new Go comes with LittleBigPlanet, Socom: Fireteam Bravo 3, and Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters. Ergonimaclly, and pocket-wise the Go is the best handheld ever designed. It's sleek, and has improved analog nub positioning.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I thought, but the boxes show nothing on them. The entertainment pack bundle says those 3 games, but the ones I've found at BB, futureshop and Staples do not. I've seen one box that says "Rock Band". Do I need to get the entertainment pack, or do the 3 games come regardless once I register?

Is this a French-edition PSP? (sorry if it's a dumb question, I just want to be sure since it'll be next to impossible to return it).

Also, is the deal on PSPs at Costco a boxing week special?

[quote name='Dragon52']... Ergonimaclly, and pocket-wise the Go is the best handheld ever designed. It's sleek, and has improved analog nub positioning.[/QUOTE]

I would never trade my Game Boy Advance Micro for PSP Go. For anyone looking for pocket-friendly gaming, there is nothing that competes with a GBA Micro in my opinion.
;)

[quote name='game_fanatic']Is this a French-edition PSP? (sorry if it's a dumb question, I just want to be sure since it'll be next to impossible to return it).

Also, is the deal on PSPs at Costco a boxing week special?[/QUOTE]

It either ends January 1st or January 4th. It was also the same price about 4 weeks ago.

Seems like this deal is dead. Good thing... I was still on the fence and coming closer to buying all the time.

[quote name='ejamer']Seems like this deal is dead. Good thing... I was still on the fence and coming closer to buying all the time.[/QUOTE]

Deal is still at Archambault, so you can price match if you want a Go. As for Costco, I'm quite sure I saw Jan 1 or Jan 4, so you have 1 more day at least.

I'm on the fence as well. PSN games on amazon.com seem reasonable enough (assuming US redemption codes work in Canada...), but the lack of replaceable battery on the Go worries me. Someone pointed out the 3000 allowed for the best of both worlds, but PSP games I'm interested in don't seem any cheaper.

[quote name='fsm']Deal is still at Archambault, so you can price match if you want a Go. As for Costco, I'm quite sure I saw Jan 1 or Jan 4, so you have 1 more day at least.[/QUOTE]

My bad. I couldn't order online, and jumped to conclusions.

bread's done
Back