PSP Go thread-

It's been discussed by many gaming sites and it only makes sense to evaluate how PSP Go does. I doubt the next consoles will be DD only, but they're looking into it and testing the waters.

[quote name='J7.']It's been discussed by many gaming sites and it only makes sense to evaluate how PSP Go does. I doubt the next consoles will be DD only, but they're looking into it and testing the waters.[/QUOTE]

"Discussed" doesn't mean anything. There are too many roadblocks in the way.

The biggest is logistics. For games on the PS3 and 360, we're already talking about gigabytes for download sizes - the Games on Demand version of Mass Effect is 7GB, for example. I don't know how big the average PS3 game is, but I know that Blu-ray has a higher storage capacity. There are already ISPs testing and using bandwidth caps; if you've got Time Warner and your maximum cap is 40GB, are you really going to want to download 20GB games with any frequency?

There's also the issue of coverage. There are areas of the country that still don't have high-speed internet, which would mean that any systems that are download-only would be dead from the start in those regions.

Those alone would doom a download-only console to failure, and that doesn't even begin to cover all of the other issues that have been brought up in terms of PSP, like pricing, lack of resale/trade, and consumers who just aren't interested in digital only. We're a long way away from a download-only console being viable.

[quote name='Malik112099'] As for the shit sales of the PSP Go, my home is that it goes on clearance at a few stores and I can eventually pick one up for under $100 and hopefully by then someone will have gotten CFW to work on it.[/QUOTE]

Same. It's CFW that makes the PSP go. SEE WHAT I DID THERE?????

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']
Those alone would doom a download-only console to failure, and that doesn't even begin to cover all of the other issues that have been brought up in terms of PSP, like pricing, lack of resale/trade, and consumers who just aren't interested in digital only. We're a long way away from a download-only console being viable.[/QUOTE]

these are issues now. the next round of consoles is years away. i would not be surprised at all if games go fully digital by the time the next generation of consoles are out. i haven't bought a physical PC game for ages. i don't think sony are testing the water, i think they know where it's going and are being first in the market.

the psp go is a very nice piece of kit, installing games/music/video was easy, video took a while. the prices were ok (in the UK), i haven't owned a psp before so have no UMDs and the prices are cheaper than what a pay for PC/PS3 games so it's all good. very impressed and pleased with my purchase so far. i took £95 off the price with ps3 game trade ins, might not have gone for it at retail price though.

[quote name='orntar']with all the bad press, am i a bad person for thinking about buying one?[/QUOTE]

No but I'd wait for a price drop. Sony has all but confirmed that one will come along once the initial early-adopter rush (?) dies down.

I'd like to get one as my Japanese PSOne machine. If the price was right I'd definately bite. The problem is that the right price is around $130 and I don't see it dropping that low anytime soon.

i agree, and i would kick myself if there was a price drop soon. but if its around christmas, thats far enough out for me not to feel bad.

i have $75 in amazon credit, so i was contemplating it pretty hard. it would be $170 then.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']"Discussed" doesn't mean anything. There are too many roadblocks in the way.

The biggest is logistics. For games on the PS3 and 360, we're already talking about gigabytes for download sizes - the Games on Demand version of Mass Effect is 7GB, for example. I don't know how big the average PS3 game is, but I know that Blu-ray has a higher storage capacity. There are already ISPs testing and using bandwidth caps; if you've got Time Warner and your maximum cap is 40GB, are you really going to want to download 20GB games with any frequency?

There's also the issue of coverage. There are areas of the country that still don't have high-speed internet, which would mean that any systems that are download-only would be dead from the start in those regions.

Those alone would doom a download-only console to failure, and that doesn't even begin to cover all of the other issues that have been brought up in terms of PSP, like pricing, lack of resale/trade, and consumers who just aren't interested in digital only. We're a long way away from a download-only console being viable.[/QUOTE]
As I said I doubt it would happen, but with the consoles possibly many years away it is conceivable and it's definitely something they are evaluating. I also said "will definitely include" meaning they may not really bother seriously considering it if the PSP Go fails spectacularly.

Bandwith caps could become a thing of the past if Govt steps in. They could also allow people unable to download at home bring a usb stick and be able to download at stores on a device that holds games and is able to to direct high speed transfers - perhaps unlikely but who knows what will happen years from now.

Just because PSP is pricey doesn't mean future DD devices would be, without retail there's no price competition except between another DD device, ability to trade/resell becomes a thing of the past, consumers have no choice other than DD - they will have to use it or not game at all other than older games.

Again, I doubt this will happen soon, but we don't know what the future holds. I don't care to argue with you and you raise valid points. I'm just showing ways it possibly could happen. Unlikely but possible. Go failing will make it that much more impossible but companies will certainly love when it does become achievable even if it did leave out some consumers, which there are ways around.

IDK, people seem stuck on the silly idea that a buyer would only DL the game post release and all at once. Steam has had several games that one could predownload, incrementally & during low bandwidth usage, and then be "unlocked" on release day. If implemented in that manner a DD only console is entirely a possibility, and every developers wet-dream/consumer's worst nightmare. Which is why I discourage anyone buying any gaming device that exclusively DD, unless it and its software were to be sold for significantly less than its physical media using counterpart.

If it's discounted to reflect my loss of ownership and rights then it's viable, if not . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would anyone buy this? So you pay $30 for some game through the PSN store, beat the game and now what? You can't trade it for a different game, you're stuck with it forever. I'll keep my slim.

[quote name='pimpster4183']Why would anyone buy this? So you pay $30 for some game through the PSN store, beat the game and now what? You can't trade it for a different game, you're stuck with it forever. I'll keep my slim.[/QUOTE]
Hmm.. 30$ you say?
You can transfer DD on 5 PSP's..

Also, that's why you buy games that has replayability. :drool:

[quote name='Count']Hmm.. 30$ you say?
You can transfer DD on 5 PSP's..

Also, that's why you buy games that has replayability. :drool:[/QUOTE]

i can put optical media in an infinite number of consoles..whats your point? for a lot of people once you play it you are done. No one is going to play through a game on the Go and then wonder what the gameplay is like on a slim.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']IDK, people seem stuck on the silly idea that a buyer would only DL the game post release and all at once. Steam has had several games that one could predownload, incrementally & during low bandwidth usage, and then be "unlocked" on release day. If implemented in that manner a DD only console is entirely a possibility, and every developers wet-dream/consumer's worst nightmare. Which is why I discourage anyone buying any gaming device that exclusively DD, unless it and its software were to be sold for significantly less than its physical media using counterpart.

If it's discounted to reflect my loss of ownership and rights then it's viable, if not . . .[/QUOTE]
Good point about episodic content & incremental dl.

Companies will want price parity with retail or at least be demanded to by retail. For DD prices to fall across the board (not including sales), either companies need to somehow renegotiate their dealings with retailers, which I don't see happening, or DD needs to completely take over and not have retail involved, don't see this happening anytime soon especially with online retailers.

Maybe the best option to us will be if retail carries sellable voucher codes for every DD game and prices them competively, while also allowing the game companies to do the same on their online networks. But they need to have retail and networks give codes to dl games that can be deactivated and resold by the consumer, which I can't see happening.

As many others have pointed out, given the lack of competitive pricing for the software, the hardware is a waste of money at any cost.

It's a gorgeous device, to be sure - but what you restrict yourself to by purchasing one is way more than enough to turn me off of it.

Have the sales numbers come in yet? From what I can tell it isn't exactly flying off the shelves. I was in Best Buy over the weekend and they had tons.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='orntar']does any one have a white go? is it as sparkly as the videos show it?[/QUOTE]

I think the general consensus is that it's NOT that sparkly. I still got mine in black though because I'm not trusting enough. (And fingerprints aren't as big of an issue as I'd expected, honestly)

[quote name='orntar']does any one have a white go? is it as sparkly as the videos show it?[/QUOTE]

If you look for the sparkles, you can see it but you really need to be looking for it.

Beautiful device and I like it better than the black version. Well, at least to balance out my navy blue DS.

[quote name='Malik112099']i can put optical media in an infinite number of consoles..whats your point? for a lot of people once you play it you are done. No one is going to play through a game on the Go and then wonder what the gameplay is like on a slim.[/QUOTE]

It looks like your limiting yourself with games that's only 1 play through wonder.

Try something like Disgaea, Disgaea 2..
-----
My point is that UMD can not compete with DD that can be multiplied.

And what console are you talking about.. PS3 can only share up to 5 accounts..

Unless your talking about illegal copies.. :drool: I think they fail in life.
-------
Edit: never mind, I have no idea what you're talking about.. lol

[quote name='Count']It looks like your limiting yourself with games that's only 1 play through wonder.

Try something like Disgaea, Disgaea 2..
-----

And what console are you talking about.. PS3 can only share up to 5 accounts..

Unless your talking about illegal copies.. :drool: I think they fail in life.
-------
Edit: never mind, I have no idea what you're talking about.. lol

Hmm.. so..
What happens to your GO once the battery dies out..
I hope SONY doesen't ask 150$ for batteries..

That's were they get you Count; the system is only $250 but to use it you have to buy the $300 battery attachment and the $150 deluxe charging kit.

[quote name='Count']Hmm.. so..
I hope SONY doesen't ask 150$ for batteries..[/QUOTE]

Well if your warranty is expired you can still access the battery quite easily, as a matter of fact. If you still have your warranty, I would hope the battery replacement is covered. (but I don't know that, I'm just guessing)

[quote name='pimpster4183']Why would anyone buy this? So you pay $30 for some game through the PSN store, beat the game and now what? You can't trade it for a different game, you're stuck with it forever. I'll keep my slim.[/QUOTE]

You would think with an ID like pimpster you would understand.

I'm a technology whore!

[quote name='paddlefoot']You would think with an ID like pimpster you would understand.

I'm a technology whore![/QUOTE]
what color did you get? how are you liking it so far?

[quote name='Count']
[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by multiplied? You can't gameshare PSP games can you?

[quote name='Count']Hmm.. so..
I hope SONY doesen't ask 150$ for batteries..[/QUOTE]

Who do you think's making this thing, Apple? ;)

[quote name='Maklershed']What do you mean by multiplied? You can't gameshare PSP games can you?[/QUOTE]

You can full game share DD psp games, limiting to up to 5 PSP total though.

Lol Apple. :hot:

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Thats a surprise... my local Target sold all of their PSP Go's.[/QUOTE]

So as my local gamestop.

And wow, nice deal ^^

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/16/third-parties-not-required-to-release-psp-games-on-playstation-s/

"It's up to individual third parties to decide if and when to publish their UMD releases on PSN. Most, if not all, are on board, as this is a revenue opportunity for them," we were told by Eric Lempel, SCEA's director of PlayStation Network operations. Namco, the one publisher that returned our request for comment, noted specifically that "there are currently no plans to release Akatsuki Rising on PSN right now," despite its October 6 release on UMD.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I find it funny that Sony's approach to supporting their device has been a combination of (1) pay through the nose and (2) an "eh, whatever you guys wanna do, we don't care" approach to getting third parties on PSN.

Which means few new third-party releases and $30 Manhunt 2.

If that ain't comedy, I don't know what is.

[quote name='mykevermin']I find it funny that Sony's approach to supporting their device has been a combination of (1) pay through the nose and (2) an "eh, whatever you guys wanna do, we don't care" approach to getting third parties on PSN.

Which means few new third-party releases and $30 Manhunt 2.

If that ain't comedy, I don't know what is.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like typical Sony to me. You cant actually have expected more?

Do stores get price protection if it drops $50? Cause where I work we only sold 2 PSP Gos and are still left with plenty.

$50 price drop seems to only be at Frys, but we'll see.

bread's done
Back